Virginia TV stations bail on Redskins

As you've perhaps heard, the Fox affiliates in Richmond and Hampton Roads have chosen to go with Eagles-Cowboys over Skins-Chargers on Sunday afternoon. These are Redskins markets. That's not supposed to happen.

"Honestly," said Bruce Rader, the sports director of Fox 43, "the Redskins are just unwatchable."

That's via a Bob Molinaro column on the decision from the Virginian-Pilot. He writes that it's the first time in recent memory a Skins game won't be on in Hampton Roads.

Both stations have apparently responded to angry Redskins fans on air. Rader's explanation is above; he says that choosing the Cowboys was "the responsible thing to do," and that "hopefully, as the Redskins improve--and they have to--we won't be faced with a decision like this again." He also posted a piece on the station's Web site:

We have always appreciated our loyal and passionate Redskins fans here in Hampton Roads, however on this particular weekend, we have determined that airing a game of the magnitude of the Eagles/Cowboys will be in the best interest of all NFL viewers.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch has a brief item on the decision; the only two comments posted support the switch to Cowboys-Eagles.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 3, 2010; 10:48 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Arenas's fabulous day of Tweets
Next: End of Zorn: The talking head speculation

Comments

I'm a Redskins fan, but personally I'd rather watch the Cowboys/Eagles game because it's meaningful. The Skins game just means nothing.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | January 3, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Wow, that's utterly ridiculous. The head of that station should not be able to make that decision. I lived in Richmond the last 4 years, and if I was still there, I'd be making lots of angry phone calls.

Posted by: DudeItsEric | January 3, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Time to burn down some Rupert Murdoch property? Stinks of a vast right wing conspiracy.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 3, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Can't argue his point, though. He's right on the money.

The Redskins are unwatchable.......

Posted by: CF11555 | January 3, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Skins have been unwatchable since week one. Looks like another week of the NFL Red Zone channel.

Posted by: tidalwave1 | January 3, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

"Looks like another week of the NFL Red Zone channel"

Don't think we'll see the Skins there either unless they're getting scored on lol!

Posted by: johnvandermyde | January 3, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

As a lifelong 'Skins fan, I am glad it has gotten to this point and hopefully it stings the Snyder midget on his rear end. The team might be lucky to have a winning season here and there but long-term success is over with until the midget sells the team or dies.

Posted by: mofares | January 3, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mofares | January 3, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Too bad that Hobits have a life expectancy of just over 100 years.

Posted by: alex35332 | January 3, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with mofares.... another message to Snyder that the team has sank to new depths under his pathetic leadership.

I'm a fan since '78 and can't remember last time I missed a regular season game, but honestly, I'm not really upset by this. It's not like I'm rushing out to watch it at a sports bar (or a friend with Sunday ticket).... I just don't care that much any more.

Posted by: chombie13 | January 3, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

P.S. GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: chombie13 | January 3, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Serves these idiot program guys right that the Dallas game was an unwatchable blowout.

Posted by: poguesmahone | January 3, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Think of a Redskins game like a NASCAR race - just watch for the crashes. Everything is watchable if you know what to look for.

Posted by: jburnetti | January 3, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I am worried that the Redskins will not get any better until the midget sells the team. But I do not think that is going to happen anytime soon.

Posted by: Renko_is | January 4, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

i'll watch the Iggles get shut-TF-out anytime.

Posted by: millionea7 | January 5, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse