A Redskins music video from the 1980s

I've tried to write a few sentences of introduction to this sensory masterpiece about seven times, and each time I've had to press delete. Really, there are no words that could do this justice. You just have to revel in it yourself. We can each enjoy this in our own way.

(Via Terl)

(Embarrassing: I posted the exact same video about three years ago, and was equally amazed then. This is what it feels like to get older, I guess. Gimme another year, and I'll be smothering our young whippersnapper bloggers with sarcasm and disdain.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 8, 2010; 3:17 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NBC's Caps-Penguins coverage
Next: Local Poll Week XI: Snow'd Dominion

Comments

Check out at 00:29. Is that RNC chair Michael Steele?!

How weird is that?

Posted by: wjjw | February 8, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank you so much for finding this. I caught this right before (I think it was) NBC aired some random movie that I'd been waiting to tape, and I only caught a little of it. This brings back such wonderful memories of a good, classy team - people who did good things for the community because they wanted to. Win or lose, this team represented some of the best times DC ever had at RFK Stadium. Now, it's a complete joke that needs to be saved from itself...
Like I said, thanks for posting this. Great find.

Posted by: EddieP1 | February 8, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

first time I ever wanted to be a Cowboys fan.

Posted by: dbuggs | February 8, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Best Skins video ever, I still have this on VHS

Posted by: DMoney28 | February 8, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

My god, Dan.

My grandfather, a Skins STH, had a copy of this video, and I remember watching it. I was eight.

For the last, um, ten years or so I've been looking for it. My family has insisted that there was no such video - that it was all in my head. I couldn't find it on the Internet, and no one I talked to had heard of such a thing.

I was beginning to think I had indeed made it up.

It's exactly like I remembered it. Weird that I can't remember what I did yesterday, but I remember this song from 1986.

Thanks, Dan!

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 8, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

How many Hall of Famers are in there??? Scary thought. Reminds me of that cheesy Caps video from around the same time.

Posted by: DrCapsFan11 | February 8, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Dude is that Michael Steele in the Stands about 20 seconds or so in? No wonder this video is lame. Thats before he went "Hip-Hop"

Posted by: MajorFacemask | February 8, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Speechless.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | February 8, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Love the cameos of Willard, Mike Wallace and Tip O'Neill. And that sure does look like Michael Steele at 0:29.

Posted by: c5karl | February 8, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I recognize the two players upfront.. Raleigh McKenzie (63) and Dan McQuaid (60). Wow..

Posted by: RedCherokee | February 8, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

those were the days.......the team and players loved the fans and the city, and the fans and city loved them back

Now we have a bunch of money loving losers, who could care less about the city and fans.
these are true Redskins
take a note DAN SNYDER

Posted by: davidx52 | February 8, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

None other than James Arthur Monk bobbin his head and getting his groove on at the 5:02 mark...Priceless.

There are alot of adjectives to describe this music video (corny, horrible, cheesy, etc), but to do so would be to ignore that a) this wasn't AS BAD as it seems, when viewed back in 1986, and b) there is a larger meaning behind the video itself.

It was a "Thank You" from the Redskins players to the fans, and vice versa. It's that connection that earned this fan base's place as one of the NFL's most loyal, a loyalty that was CLEARLY tested last season. I consider this a reminder of the relationship this city once had with this franchise, and I pray that it is resurrected under Shanahan this season.

Posted by: rob10873 | February 8, 2010 9:29 PM | Report abuse

how do you get the vedio to play

Posted by: burgngoldfan | February 9, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

MUST play this video regularly at FedEx, especially with those new video screens.

Posted by: torington | February 9, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Holy cr@p, that IS Michael Steele!

Posted by: VAtoLA | February 9, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Good Luck getting the current team to do anything like this, let alone the owner! I hope the new "regime" brings back the fun and WINNING!!!!!

Posted by: Toochilled | February 9, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you can post this video every. single. day. without embarrassment. Just keep writing, for the love of god.

Note the extravagant use of periods.

I'm out!

Posted by: hithere1 | February 10, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Cheesy...Corny...and Ridiculously Entertaining. Every locker room has issues, disgruntlement, etc and winning cures a lot of things, which we have not had, with any consistency, for a long, long time. With that being said, the teams from the JG 1.0 era were something else, weren't they? Even in his second run, he was trying to build this into the equation and it could be argued we had more success with that spirit at any other time since JG's departure, although the results were less inspiring.

Those great teams in JG1.0 had character, pride, and gamemanship that has not been seen in such a long time. And there are teams, even in this era of free agency and "I'm about me and markteting me" that goes on, which still exhibit many of these charateristics.

Will we ever have a team again that we can truly rally around and cheer for- not only the winning but because of the players and their character and sense of team?

I certainly hope so. They say the character, direction, and morals of an organization start from the top down. Let's only hope that the new leadership that's now in place will begin to correct the Oh-So-Many Wrong things that have been seen with this organization over the last 15 years or so. It'll have to start from the top and work it's way down to the locker room and the locker room leaders we have and the ones we draft and acquire.

HTTR

Posted by: BigDeck | February 11, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

How did Joe Gibbs talk himself out of this one?

Posted by: martinorules | February 11, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

And we all wondered what paved the way for the Eastern Motors commercials. But who cares? These guys have a Super Bowl ring(s), and gave me and my family some of the best memories of our lives.

THANK YOU DAN for posting this. May the glory return.

Posted by: Keliza64 | February 11, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Can I get this on iTunes?

Posted by: Keliza64 | February 11, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse