Alex Ovechkin's one-handed goal

Apologies for the spotty video quality.

This second-period strike by Alex Ovechkin in Madison Square Garden Thursday night is a goal that needs to be seen. Here are a few things that made it marginally notable.

1) The Caps were on the verge of going into the second intermission down two goals against the Rangers, with fewer than 10 seconds remaining in the second period.

2) The Caps were on the verge of seeing their franchise-record winning streak disappear. With the momentum Ovechkin sparked going into the third, the Caps would score two more unanswered goals to extend their record streak to 12.

3) Ovechkin moved into scoring position for the goal by using one of his trademark moves, contorting his body in multiple directions and then speeding to the outside while simultaneously nut-megging Michal Rozsival.

4) Ovechkin finally converted by powering around Rozsival, recovering the puck with one hand, and shoveling a one-handed, left-handed shot toward one of the best goaltenders in the NHL. And sure, it should have been stopped, but that's not really the point.

5) Oh by the way, having preserved the Caps' chances in this game, and preserved their hopes of extending their record win streak, and done so with one hand after nut-megging a defenseman, it then turned out that Ovechkin had also recorded the 500th point of his career with that goal. Getting there in 373 games makes Ovi the fastest to 500 since Eric Lindros, and just the ninth player to hit 500 through five seasons in NHL history.

So it wasn't a bad goal, all in all. Though Ovechkin didn't seem particularly impressed after the game.

"I didn't see it, I just tried to shoot the puck and I see it goes in, so I was kind of surprised," Ovechkin said. "I thought Knubes get it, so I was kind of shocked. No celebration."

Eh, whatever. A few insta-reacts from Twitter, within a few minutes of this goal. They were more impressed.

* "Ovechkin" means "amazing goal" in Russian, no?

* Ovechkin is not human!!

* YES! The Great O = One handed !!!!!!!!

* Wow. Ovechkin should get Roszival's jockstrap as a memento of his 500th point. Just gotta find it on the ice first.

* Ovechkin, the Russian Goalbot.

* I literally just ran around my apartment making a high pitched sound while slinging my limbs in weird directions. What a goal.

* SERIOUSLY will someone PLEASE just lock Ovechkin in the bathroom for the 3rd period?

* I'm naming my first kid "Ovechkin." I don't care if it's a boy or girl.

* Sweet jeebus, is there anything Ovechkin can't do? Happy 500!

* * OVECHKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* Ovechkin>Everybody else. The end.

(Here's the intermission reaction from the CSN crew.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 4, 2010; 9:33 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Adam Dunn's Jiu-Jitsu training
Next: Jose Theodore and the laser pointer

Comments

Caps won 6-5! 12 in a row!

Posted by: RedBirdie | February 4, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I mean, it's really not his most impressive goal, but of course his 500th point is something like that.

Posted by: false_cause | February 4, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't know how a person could possibly be awesomer in any way. Just when you think the streak is over, Ovy casually strolls THROUGH a defenseman and one-hands a shot past one of the five best goalies in the world. Life is good.

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 4, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Keep up the good work, Poti. Go Terriers!

Posted by: KireDCU | February 4, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

The young man is something else !!!!!!

Posted by: dashriprock | February 4, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Wale Ovechkin

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | February 4, 2010 10:32 PM | Report abuse

No letdowns tomorrow vs Atlanta. This streak has to be intact when the Pens come to town. I'm looking forward to that game more than than the Super Bowl.

Posted by: bbride1 | February 4, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Poti and Backstrom also had incredible moves that didn't result in goals, but Ovie just finds a way. quite the fun game to watch. the Caps are fearless and and just do not stop ever for even a minute.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 4, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

What a badass

Posted by: nonagon | February 4, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Uhhh, the second video is essentially the same as the first one.

Posted by: Juan-John | February 4, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I am looking further ahead and would love to see a match up of streaking teams play against each other: Capitals versus Senators. If they both continue to win, it would be a Capitals team on a 15 game winning streak going against a Senators team on a 13 game winning streak. When has that ever happen? Probably never, but you (and the Networks) can only dream it does! Go Caps!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 4, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Here's the 500th point screenshot: http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/photos4all_20XX/Me/Caps020-2-1.jpg

Posted by: thisismydcsportsopinion | February 5, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Even on Tai Shan's big day, OV is able to poke his head in.
The world's best player won't be going back to the USSR anytime soon.
Go OV, Go Caps!

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 5, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Amazing player, amazing goal and you just knew as he scored it that the Caps were going to win.

Also Dan, great use (not once but twice) of the term nut-meg. I thought that was just a British term. Guess not.

However, its traditional here that the nut-megger whilst in the process of nut-megging an opponent loudly announces to the nut-meggee either "Megs!" or "Nuts" to let them know they have just been "megged". Up north we say "Megs", down south they go with "Nuts". I wonder which Ovi shouted at Rozsival?

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | February 5, 2010 5:02 AM | Report abuse

There was a penalty coming. In basketball, that's "and one!"

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 5, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

...and he also passes the puck to himself through the legs of the defender before scoring.

Posted by: charley42 | February 5, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinburg - Love your increased levels of coverage of the Caps. Awesome. It would be really awesome if you learned how to do captures from your cable/satellite/fios set top box directly to your computer as opposed to holding a video camera up to your TV.

Posted by: gtimaxx | February 5, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

And my apologies for spelling your last name incorrectly.

Posted by: gtimaxx | February 5, 2010 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin is like Earl Campbell, with a liberal dash of Eric Dickerson thrown in. It's like he always has that potential to take the puck through, over, around, past anything the defense throws at him. Rushes like last night's goal are every bit as exciting as an 80 yard touchdown run, to me.

Posted by: LouLewis | February 5, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bbride1 | February 4, 2010 10:39 PM

------------

bbride1, if history is any guide the Caps-Pens matchup will probably be a better game than the Super Bowl.

Posted by: greggwiggins | February 5, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Game changer goal, 500th career point and not only that, even if he didn't score he drew a penatly on the play. Wow!

Posted by: EricS2 | February 5, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I hope people appreciate this guy. He's so dominant, such a show man. Perhaps the best DC area athlete ever, when it is all said and done.

Posted by: poguesmahone | February 5, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Is ovie right-handed? then that was even more impressive.

Posted by: gatsu | February 5, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I was at the Kings-Ducks game at Staples with professional colleagues when I checked my Crackberry and found out we'd won. Not sure the people around me last night will ever recover from my celebration.

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | February 5, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

That move on Rozsival was the hockey equivalent of being "posterized" in hoops (i.e., dunking over a defender).

Pucksterized, shall we say?

Also Boyle's reaction is classic, it's like he's saying "well, you saw that, what the heck were we supposed to do?"

Posted by: BobLHead | February 5, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse