Bill Simmons on LeBron to the Wizards

(2008 photo by Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Like I always say, I'm a 100 percent objective sports journalist, but there are certain local personnel moves that would be tough for me to view with a neutral eye. Tony Romo in a Redskins jersey? Can't picture it. Matt Bradley or Brooks Laich suiting up for the Flyers? Don't want to see it. Sidney Crosby rocking the red? Impossible. And LeBron James wearing the Wizards colors whilst flinging white powder to the gods? I might retch a little bit at that one.

Wizards fans constructed this worldview where their star (Gilbert) was genuine and refreshing and as down-to-earth as an NBA franchise player could be, while Cleveland's star was a phony, preening, posturing, self-obsessed diva. Now, clearly this worldview has fallen apart in recent weeks, but I still don't see how fans could go from loathing LeBron to loving him.

Still, Bill Simmons would have us consider the possibility. In his latest podcast, the king of ESPN hosted former Bullets beat writer J.A. Adande, and after an endless discussion about Kobe Bryant, Simmons finally dropped this stink bomb.

"Let me throw this scenario at you, and you give me odds," Simmons said. "Washington somehow voids Arenas's contract, they trade Butler, they trade Jamison. They have all this cap room all of the sudden. They lure LeBron. Last week of October, Sports Illustrated comes out with LeBron and Obama on the cover with some sort of chief of staff headline, something like that. What are the odds we see that cover? 20-1? King and the President. The King and The Prez? 20-1?"

"The odds that what?" asked Adande, which finally calmed my churning stomach.

"The odds that that Sports Illustrated cover happens, LeBron and Obama with LeBron in a Wizards uniform," Simmons repeated.

(And just to make this thing smell even worse, ESPN.com's Marc Stein says Gilbert winding up in Cleveland is "a legit possibility." Yeehaw.)

Adande didn't put much stock in this possibility. But Simmons was undeterred.

"If I had to rank the LeBron teams, I would put Washington in the Top 5," he said. "I do think that it would take a lot for those things to work out. But if they did work out that is a very viable option for him in a place that has a ton of basketball history."

"I was told by one of the LeBron guys that championship, that's the criteria," Adande said, still skeptical, and being well familiar with the Curse.

"Yeah, but you could have LeBron, Bosh...." Simmons continued. "I mean, Washington has no salary cap next year. He could basically be the GM...."

Thankfully, the topic of conversation finally turned, and the men offered their LeBron picks: Cleveland or Miami from Adande, and Chicago from Simmons.

So, LeBron to the Wiz? Having Alex Ovechkin and LeBron James share an arena would certainly be memorable. There wouldn't be any crowd shots like this, regardless of how much snow had fallen the day before. Little kids across the country would be begging mama and papa for Wizards shirts.

Still, no. Really. No.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 1, 2010; 11:19 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ben Olsen shovels out the practice field
Next: "Zorned" enters political lexicon

Comments

Stick to Teen Wolf references, Sports Guy.

Posted by: Tank2 | February 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Are you nuts? We hate LeBron because he beat us in the playoffs three times. Bring him to DC.

Sonny and Sam played for NFC East rivals and somehow Skins fans seem to have forgiven them.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | February 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Obviously it would be great to get Lebron, but it's not going to happen.

Posted by: Dellis2 | February 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I seriously doubt the Arenas contract will be voided - a buyout with salary cap ramifications is much more likely. I don't think that the Wiz will be given a blank cap to work with next season. And I also don't think that LeBron would be interested in coming to Washington.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 1, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I would say you could add one more scenario in there besides dumping all of our contracts.

If the Wizards could somehow reverse the curse and win the John Wall lottery, I could see that being a tempting idea for David Stern's "King James".

LeBron + Wall = Bullets Fever all over again.

Chances of happening? About the same as us making the playoffs this year?

Posted by: wizardsextreme1 | February 1, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'd like to see the best player in the world on my team, but the talcum powder thing is a deal-killer.

That makes sense.

Posted by: orodgers | February 1, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, you watch your mouth when you talk about Matt Bradley!

Posted by: ogdennash | February 1, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I've believed this would (OK, could) happen a long time ago.

Why the hell would he want to join either of the NY teams, wretched as they are, w/no hope in sight? Miami can't afford to sign him and keep Wade, unless either takes a HUGE pay cut. I mean, you have guys like Wilbon and Adande making cases for the _Clippers_, of all teams. Ted loves the big name, and assuming he gets the team, I'd bet he goes all in for LeBron. And I'd love to see it happen.

Besides, DC's traditionally been something of a landing spot for the biggest stars of stars at some point in their careers (Teddy Ballgame, Lombardi, MJ, Tiger), so why not LBJ?

I honestly don't get why people think this is so farfetched.

Posted by: BMoreChil | February 1, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Assume the Wizards have a complete fire sale and are basically left with Nick Young, McGee, Blatche and maybe Haywood. I think Joe Johnson is probably the best case max guy you can attract.

I think for LeBron the teams are:
1. Cavs
2. Knicks
3. Nets
4. Miami
5. Wizards(assuming fire sale and trading or voiding Arenas)

Posted by: verbal8 | February 1, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

letravel becoming a wizard would make it very hard for me to root for the team, very, very hard. i have to admit that liking at least something about the guys on the teams i root for makes a difference and there is nothing i like about him.

Posted by: b2br | February 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMoreChil | February 1, 2010 12:12 PM

Really, the Nets with (perhaps) John Wall, LeBron and a move to Brooklyn would be no hopers? And ditto for the Knicks with LeBron and Bosh?

It doesn't take a long time to build a winner when you only need 5 guys on the court.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 1, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

IF LeBron to the Wizards were to happen, the "Curse of Le Boulez" would rear its ugly head, and The King would be struck down and killed by lightening on his way here.

Posted by: Bigrcube | February 1, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Of course it's happening. This is why we have suffered for so long.

Posted by: Hogie | February 1, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

"I'd be all for LeBron to the Wizards. Unfortunately, I'm a bit like Adande, wondering, "what the hell is Simmons talking about?"

Stick to Teen Wolf references, Sports Guy"

Lol, yeah exactly.

Unless Ted is the owner by then I really don't see it happening anyway.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 1, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I would rather take an 0-82 Wiz team than a title team that featured Princess James.

Posted by: nmeeker | February 1, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I would have to drink vinegar for every game that I watch. If he comes here, I would love to see Joe Johnson in a Wiz uni just so I could stand to root for them!

Posted by: Doobie_Sparks | February 1, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Whenever I open up the Sports Bog I woder aloud, "How does this guy, Steinberg, keep his job?" or alternatively "Does the Post pay him (Steinberg) by the word?" Not only is there nothing remotely revealing in this latest entry but it is essential a reporting of Adande and Simmons have a conversation. Worthless

Posted by: Hank4 | February 1, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

What a ridiculous premise. The Wizards are the laughingstock of the sports world. LeBron's one of the 2 biggest names in the sport. He can pretty much choose his team. You think he's gonna choose this dysfunctional organization?

Posted by: randysbailin | February 1, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Why would Lebron pick a crap team like the Wiz, who will always be bad?

Don't worry your pretty bald head, Danno - the greatest player in the world won't be joining your wiz.

Posted by: popopo | February 1, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, they did offer ticket holders the right to exchange tickets for the Knicks game with the game next Saturday against the Hawks. Needless to say I didn't have to think for very long about making that swap.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 1, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I would love some of what Bill Simmons is smoking...

Posted by: joep6 | February 1, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

NJ is terrible but they have an intriguing core at the two toughest positions to fill PG and C(Harris and Lopez). Yi is soft, but would not be a bad option to pair with LeBron.

If NY finds a way to move Jeffries and/or Curry two max deals and the NY market could be intriguing.

Kobe was pretty close to signing with the Clippers. I would not be surprised to see them make a very strong move.

Posted by: verbal8 | February 1, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

No self respecting Wizards fan would ever even entertain the mere possibility of bringing that SOB to DC, other to heckle and berate him while he wears an opposing team's uniform.

Disclaimer: there are very few self-respecting Wizards fans left these days, as evidenced by the comments on the Wizards Insider and DC Sports Bog.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow. That is out of left field and will never happen. Why on earth would he want to ever come here? And a city with basketball history? What history? Some good teams in the late 70s, sure. Besides that the only history involves some circus acts, failed attempts at good teams (Webber & Howard), and being one of the teams that handed the Bulls one of their 10 losses in the 72-10 season, then of course being swept in the playoffs by them that same year. But Lebron and OV in the same town would make this the biggest sports STAR town, but not the best sports town.

Posted by: TheRealDuffman | February 1, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm assuming Peyton Manning will be a Redskin next year?

Posted by: TheRealDuffman | February 1, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

If LeBron was here id go to a game... what r u talking about Steinburg...

Posted by: rockettonu | February 1, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

This would be, quite literally, the single greatest thing to ever happen to DC sports. To suggest that it shouldn't happen because he had a little feud with players who won't be here anymore is crazy. If there's a chance to get potentially the greatest basketball player in 20 years in this city, absolutely 100% you go for it.

Posted by: pondaz | February 1, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

I just want to re-iterate that the people making these comments in favor of bringing LeBron to the Wizards are not self-respecting Wizards fans.

That is all, carry on.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Duffman, you're right this city doesn't have much PRO basketball history, but Simmons is right in that it is, undoubtedly, a basketball town at heart. If the Wizards could ever tap into this, they would be incredibly popular. Need evidence? GTown, UMD, DeMatha, Spingarn, Carrol, Gonzaga, Dunbar...at a grassroots (i.e. amateur) level, D.C. is one of the 3-5 greatest basketball cities in the country. (Along with NYC, Chicago, Philly & maybe L.A. I'd argue D.C. is the greatest bball city strictly on a per capita basis). All this to say, I hope Leonsis is smart enough to tap into the heart of this city. But I also hope that he can do it without that bama Lebron.

Posted by: MoMonroe | February 1, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

hate lebron. Only half of that worldview constructed fell apart. I will never, I mean never ever root for LeBron. I don't care what jersey he's wearing.

Posted by: trolly_time | February 1, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Steve Buckhantz said it best a year or two ago when he relayed seeing kids walk up to LeBron an hour before the game and ask him for an autograph, and LeBron would not only not give them an autograph, he wouldn't even acknowledge they were there. Seriously, this is the kind of person you want representing this city and team? I don't care how good of a basketball player he is--no one is questioning his greatness on the court. I simply find him to be repulsively arrogant and really just not a very good person.

And the bottom line is, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell he will ever play for the Wizards, so please people--get real.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

The Grizzlies are coming alive in Memphis. King James would be the crown jewel to this young team.

Posted by: themaz | February 1, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Lebron James would retire before coming here to play for this CURSED franchise....lots of other better places to play basketball than for these confused fans in this sorry city.

Posted by: NothingButTheTruth | February 1, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I think the whole point of Lebron leaving Cleaveland would be for an upgrade of players around him. If we have to get rid of our best two players just to have the money to get him he will not be interested. He would rather stay with the young guys in cleveland that he is already familiar with and add a guy to help than to go to a team that has no other stars and have no better team than he has now.

Posted by: ged0386 | February 1, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

NothingButTheTruth

Is that why you live and work here? For such a sorry city I sure do see a lot of outsiders breaking their necks to get a job and a place to live in DC. Whats wrong your own towns are that lousy?

Posted by: ged0386 | February 1, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Oh...DC Thought NothingButTheTruth was talking about the Grizzlies/Tennessee.

Posted by: themaz | February 1, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

What is more realistic, LeBron James in a Wizards uniform or End of the World in 2012? Hmmmm...I would take End of the World in 2012 for $500, Alex! Next question!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 1, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see a winner again. I was there when the Bullets won the Championship, and I've been sick of losing since then. I don't care of it was Lebron, or your mamma. I just want to win again.

Posted by: coastallp74 | February 1, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

What a waste of virtual ink...Lebron to DC...COME ON MAN!!!

Posted by: bjohnson2000 | February 1, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

LeBron and Obama? Does that mean LeBron is only getting a three year contract ... because Obama won't be around after 2012.

Posted by: VirginiaLonghorn | February 1, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

LeBron? No. Way. Really.

Posted by: RedCherokee | February 1, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

I would stop being a Wiz fan, immediately, if we got him. In fact, I would actively root against the Wiz. I hate him.

Posted by: rbelleisle | February 1, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Hank4 | February 1, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

And yet you continue to read...and post. Always cracks me up when someone posts on a message board(more than once) to say how the writer is terrible and worthless. But yet, they're back again at the next article.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | February 1, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

There's no way the Arenas contract will be voided, so it's all moot anyway. The Wiz will be stuck in salary cap hell for the next several years and might as well start dropping games in order to get a better lottery position.

Posted by: acoberst1 | February 1, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

If Leonis takes care of the Wiz, he can do it

Posted by: cordobes17 | February 1, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

That is all, carry on.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:39 PM
============

And at 1:39, the sanctimonious, pompous, arrogant prick who decides who is and isn't a proper fan (whether it be of the Wizards, or 'Skins, or Terps, or any other team) chimes in.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 1, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

IMO, Bring him in. I think that he would fit right in. Make himself right at home and the soap opera will go on and on! It would be no worse than having a gun toter on the team. Bye Bye Zero!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 1, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

"...a very viable option for him in a place that has a ton of basketball history."

Yea, right. Unfortunately LeBron would have to ask his grandfather about the last time anything good happened to this "historic" franchise.

So the scenario is that the Wizards get rid of Arenas, Jamison, and Butler to clear cap space to go after LeBron? I think you left out the part where Leonsis hires a hypnotist to make LeBron want to play for a 15-win team for the next 7 years.

Oh, but I forgot about the honor of playing for such a historical franchise like the Wiz.

Bill Simmons needs pass-down whatever he's smoking!

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | February 1, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | February 1, 2010; 11:19 AM ET

I would, too! In fact, I might tackle him doing just that alone!...

Posted by: RedCherokee | February 1, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

How in the world can you compare the Cavs/Wizards to Cowgirls/Skins...geesh, there is nowhere near the amount of hatred involved in that rivalary as Dallas/DC...
If Lebron became a Wiz right now, DC would love him; Can't say the same at all for anyone from Dallas.

Posted by: SCPEGLEG | February 1, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

To borrow a phrase from Hunter S. Thompson, mad dogs and wombats are going to parade down F Street, babbling in perfect Shakespearean English, before LeBron ever plays for Washington.

Posted by: pjkiger1 | February 1, 2010 10:51 PM | Report abuse

That is all, carry on.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:39 PM
============

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop
-------------------------------------------

Everyone,

I'd like to take a minute to address the comments above. Normally I do not respond to the above person, who has stalked me for several years across the Washington Post website site on a daily basis or as often as I post (usually weekdays) on various blogs. He always responds with some absurd, intelligible, nonsensical attack on me. Always striving to make a pertinent point against me, he never can seem to figure out how.

Regarding what I said that he responded to above--that no self respecting Wizards fan would want LeBron here. Well, no self-respecting Southern would use instant grits either; No self-respecting classic rock fan hates Jimmy Hendrix; No self-respecting 80s movie was complete without a cheesy montage. Etc etc And no, saying that no self-respecting wizards fan would want LeBron James here is not some outrageous statement. The "no self-respecting" phrase is a common expression in the English language, a fact my stalker appears to have overlooked.

Regardless, I think most Wiz fans would agree with my comment about LeBron being wanted here, and no one else objected to it...and yet one commenter on here--who I won't name nor engage with because it's pointless--has called me a bunch of childish names for saying this.

Pathetic.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Im not a big fan a JA, but no one knows where lebron is going. they can all say sources say this sources say that, but at the end of the day they have no clue. I dont see Lebron going to Knicks or Nets based on the fact there no pieces there for a championship contender. If Wiz can void Arenas and trade Jamison they will have room for James who has stated that Washington top 5 on favorite places. Can have James Butler Haywood Miller Walls if get 1st pick resign Foye Blatche got something

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | February 1, 2010 11:36 PM | Report abuse

How could anyone with any sense NOT want LeBron? Because he beats the Wiz like a drum? Have you twisted your perceptions to think he's a worse human being than anyone on the current team?

Would you turn down Pujols for the Nats? Would you not want the Washington [racist name deleted] NFL team to get Peyton? Do you want to get rid of Ovechkin?

But of course, it's too good to happen.

Posted by: Parker24 | February 2, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Steinberg is a complete MORON but I'm sure everyone knows that already. On to this hyperbole that he calls writing. ANYONE that wouldn't take the best player in the league is a complete IDIOT. Especially a franchise that is totally irrelevant and dysfunctional should be happy to get anyone that isn't a criminal or a headcase.

Posted by: themanofdc | February 2, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Well that's 3 consecutive people who seem to disagree with one posters stern assertion that "real" Wiz fans wouldn't want LeBron.

Yeah, exactly.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 2, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

I rooted against the US at the Olympics because of Lebron and Coach K, so I'd also root against the Wizards if Lebron ends up on the team.

Posted by: Hobes | February 2, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

Garbage like this shows how little effort Steinburg puts into writing realistic and accurate information. This idea is like Rush Limbaugh(a fool if there ever was one), claiming that Obama has the right solution
for America.
Why would James even want to leave Cleveland in the first place? Do any of you so called pundits..ask that question? He is on one of the 3-4 best teams in the NBA now. Why would he want to go to a lesser team? In D.C. he would have to work 5 times harder than he does now..just to get to .500. He already is a gazillionaire..money surely cannot be the reason..so what other reason could there be for him to leave?

STOP ALL THE CRAPPOLA..AND GET A JOB WITH THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | February 2, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

If Lebron came here, I'd be done as a Wizards fan until he retired and then just a few years longer to let the stink wear off. blech.

Posted by: bentoenail | February 2, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I'll be a 'witness'

Bring the puppets...

Posted by: kahlua87 | February 2, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bentoenail | February 2, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Amen

Posted by: Barno1 | February 2, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

No animosity towards LeBron. But nothing happens until the ownership situation is closed. No star in his right mind would want to join the Wiz at this point, unless they really did not care about winning and only needed to get PAID.

When Leonsis finally gets the majority of the team in his ownership, the outlook may change. The let him and whoever he chosses to run the team bring in whoever they think can make the franchise CONTEND for the championship.

But that is years and years away...

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | February 2, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

As much as I root against him in Cleveland... I would have no issue with the greatest basketball player in the world bringing Championships to DC... but this won't happen.

You would have to be able to sign 2 of the stars to make this work because Lebron is not coming here by himself... Bosh/Lebron or Wade/Lebron... I don't see the Wiz being able to clear this type of cap room.

You all say you hate, but you would go crazy if Lebron said he was coming to DC tomorrow.

Posted by: tony325 | February 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

The Bullets will only acquire James once he's washed up at 40 years of age. In addition to his playing duties he will also be the team's GM, despite having no background or experience. He will assemble horrible talent and make awful draft picks. After two years of the team selling lots of his jerseys he will be seen driving away from the scene of the crime in a $150K Mercedes convertible.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | February 2, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I can't see why LeBron would leave Cleveland to come here. He would have to take less money and sign on with one the the worst franchises in sports.

The only scenerios where he leaves Cleveland is to go the New York City or possibly Miami to play with Wade and live in a no income tax state.

Posted by: skinsFan74 | February 2, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse