Bruce Allen: No black uniforms

Because a lot of people expelled a lot of commenting emotions when Chris Cooley typed something about black Skins uniforms, figured I should help publicize the uniform-related comments of Skins GM Bruce Allen. The upshot--as emphasized by Skins blogger Matt Terl--is that throwbacks are in, but changes to the color scheme are out.

"Everybody is into these uniforms and whatever changes there might be," Larry Michael told Allen on a recent episode of Redskins Nation. "What can you tell us?"

"Well, first of all, I'm a traditionalist," Allen said, which should end the black uniform talk. "I'm very proud of the Redskins uniform, and I'm very proud of our helmet. I'm talking to Coach Shanahan about some ideas that we have of utilizing our colors that we're very proud of. But other than that, we're gonna stick to our historic base. I loved when the Redskins had those throwback games over the last few years, whether it's the arrow or the feather or the R. Y'know, just watching it on tape from afar, you're like, Oh, gosh, I remember..."

In other Skins news....

* Lesley Visser writes a Skins piece brimming with optimism for CBSSports.com. She quotes Mike Shanahan on what he wants in a quarterback:

"I need a quarterback, No. 1, to be accurate, and No. 2, to be passionate about the game, about the preparation, the study and the execution," said Shanahan. "I've been around a lot of leaders and they do it different ways -- Joe Montana, Steve Young and John Elway. But they all had a deep desire to be the best."

And she quotes Joe Theismann, saying "Whatever happens, there is finally reason for optimism if you're a Redskins fan." Of course, before this 4-12 campaign, Theismann said Jason Campbell would make the Pro Bowl and "he's going to have a football team around him that will be a much better football team than it was a year ago."

* Devin Thomas blogs about Mike Shanahan, writing:

The way I look at it, it's like Phil Jackson taking over the Lakers. We have so much talent, now we have a leader who will make sure that talent produces on the field. You couldn't ask for a better coach to represent our team.

* Floyd Mayweather to Chris Cooley: "What's your name?"

Chris Cooley: "My name's Chris Cooley. He has no clue. Ultimate fighter, Chris Cooley. I'm gonna choke-hold him."

Mayweather: "For real? Is he a fighter?"

Cooley: "The meanest son-of-a-[bleep] you ever met. No, I play for the Redskins, man."

Mayweather: "Man, what does this dude do?"

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 12, 2010; 2:32 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ted Leonsis discusses Arenas situation
Next: Leonsis on the Redskins

Comments

Wait so Bruce is talking about changing the Uniforms or he is not? The way its transcribed the inflection is confusing to me.

I finally got around to designing my own version of the skins uniform and put it on the RI wet-paint.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 12, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Skins throwback uniforms are cursed.

Posted by: dcsween | February 12, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

So are all reds sween

Posted by: alex35332 | February 12, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Alex, those actually look pretty sharp, wouldn't mind trotting those out at all.

Posted by: RomoShortball | February 12, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I THINK the FANS WOULD GO FOR PINK UNIFORMS..IF THEY KNEW THE SKINS WOULD MAKE THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEAR. IT IS GETTING PRETTY BAD WHEN SOMETHING LIKE A UNIFORM COLOR CAN GET A COLUMN...IN FEBRUARY NO LESS.

HAD NO IDEA WHAT THE COOLEY/MAYWEATHER THING
MEANT.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | February 12, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Go to Cooleys website and you will get it.

RomoShortball,
I have been mulling over in my head what they need to do to change the uniforms for like 12 years of my 26 on this planet.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 12, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't call me crazy but the redskins would look good in black.

Please visit my blog at www.thedcsportsscene.blogspot.com

Posted by: Dlewis10 | February 12, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Black uniforms for the Skins are stupid. The burgundy on burgundy is a horrible look - like a low budget college team. The white on white is awful for most of the guys on the team that are 50% bodyfat but call themselves athletes. The Skins went to all those combinations based on suggestions by Lavar Arrington and the mgmt didn't have the testicular fortitude to tell the him and the rest of the rapper wannabe Skins to just shut up and play. The players come and go, the uniforms are tradition. Next thing they'll want is to wear their helmets sideways and their "pants on the ground."

Posted by: AsstGM | February 12, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Please let the uniforms stay the way that they are! I love the Indian on the helmet and for a throw back, I love the 'R' also on the helmet! PLEASE leave the uniforms alone! Black sucks! Leave the black for the Raiders! Send the maroon and black with Jim Zorn! The Redskins will allways be Burgundy and Gold!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 12, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Bruce Allen !!

Keep the Burgundy & Gold, Keep the helmet the same, old school helmets & jerseys are cool every now and then, nothing else please !!

Posted by: barno-1 | February 12, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

If the 'Skins add black, does that make Jim Zorn some kind of far-seeing genius?

I wouldn't be surprised to see an alternate jersey and black would probably sell the best. You know Snyder...

I love the arrow design, on the helmet and sleeves but the main thing about a 'Skins jersey is that the burgundy HAS to be burgundy! Nice and dark!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | February 13, 2010 5:38 AM | Report abuse

More importantly, why haven't you linked to this?

We've got Mike Shanahan, the C*wb*ys have him! I sense a good year ahead...

Posted by: stevebeagrie | February 13, 2010 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Sorry but the throwback helmets with the arrow only remind me of the Spurrier years. Bad, bad memories. As for uniforms, burgundy tops white bottoms are my faves. All whites are a close second. As for Floyd Mayweather, he better remember all he can now, because Shane Mosely is going to beat him to a pulp come May 1.

Posted by: scoot21 | February 13, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind seeing the gold tights like with the 75th anniversary uniforms. The "R" with the feather is an awesome logo. I think the Skins should mix up the color combinations of the uniforms like the burgundy on burgundy more but NO BLACK PLEASE.

Posted by: ar652 | February 13, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

To go with the black eye Snyder has given the fans.

Snyder should move his Redskins we will be glad to wait for our Redskins team.
Snyder has lost the fans of the city and the only way to regain the fans is either he
(PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!) sell the team or move them. JUST LEAVE!

I hear when Snyder goes home for dinner his Mom and Dad wear brown bags over their heads.
They don't want to be seen with him.

Posted by: 1-20-09 | February 13, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

So no maroon and black?

The throwbacks with the R and the red and yellow stripes made the Redskins look like Ronald McDonald. Of course, they've played like clowns lately.

I say we need gold pants. The colors are supposed to be burgandy and gold. Not burgandy and yellow. Did you see the Saints in the SB? The Saints unis looked fantastic. Gold pants. Gold pants. Gold pants.

Posted by: skinfanman | February 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

this is what the new uniforms should look like

Posted by: kreed21 | February 14, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

Uniform is fine as is.. maybe small change for example in one picture I saw they added the stylized R on sleeve.. but keep helment same. I like that Allen likes the uniform with the throwback spear, definitely see that as a third uniform. NO BLACK!!! Oh and NO Campbell.. Need a new QB!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | February 15, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

i don't care what we wear, just as long as we WIN, but yall are haters, i love the burgundy on burgundy, even though we have been stomped each time we've worn them, so axe that......we only wore the R helmets once, that horrible, horrible 3rd game of the season against the giants in '07, we had a chance to make the giants 0-3, make us 3-0 and basically eliminate the giants from anything, instead we blew another half time lead, had a lame final drive inside the 5 yard line and the f-in giants end up winning the bowl, F

Posted by: retroskins14 | February 15, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Devin Thomas says, w have so much talent.
More of the same. All talk, nothing to back it up.

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR SUFFER ANOTHER 10 YEARS!!

Posted by: hessone | February 15, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

There are probably fans of every team that think that a black uniform is going to make a team tougher, which is idiotic. Teams like the Ravens and Steelers would be tough even wearing pink, so maybe Cooley and others should focus on playing tough.

Posted by: johnfchick1 | February 16, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I know we need a tested and consistantly producing quarterback, no one even mentions Michael Vick as an option for the Skins... Wonder why? If Jason is not doing it, and we don't want to do a start over with a rookie draft pick, why not!!

Posted by: mykskiman | February 17, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse