Canadian fans love Alex Ovechkin

To return briefly to Alan May's comments about an anti-Ovechkin bias emanating from the frozen north, the New York Times was among many outlets that disagreed.

"Contrary to what May said, Ovechkin is revered in Canada, even by Don Cherry," Stu Hackel wrote on Slap Shots earlier this week. Hackel then referred to an Ottawa sports radio program's discussion about Ovechkin from that morning, which was unrelated to May's comments. Since it seems appropriate, here's the dialog:

"With the deep deep love affair that hockey fans across North America have with Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby has sort of been, I don't know, kind of a little under the radar," Steve Warne said on Team 1200's Three Guys in the Morning. "Everything's relative, of course. Everybody still loves Sidney Crosby, too, but all of the sudden this morning with his three-goal effort last night, he's now the NHL's goal scoring leader, right where he's accustomed to being, at the top of the point standings."

"But Canadian hockey fans will learn to love Sidney Crosby more and hate Alexander Ovechkin more with the upcoming Olympics," John "J.R." Rodenburg responded. "That will help a lot. Alexander Ovechkin, I don't think there's any doubt, is the most popular player in the NHL because of the way he plays the game, the joy and the passion and the joie de vivre and whatever else you want to call it. But when it comes down to a gold medal game, if it's Canada vs. Russia, absolutely all bets are off for Alexander Ovechkin and on for Sidney Crosby."

So there you have it. Hockey fans have across North America have a deep deep love affair with Alex Ovechkin, for another week or so at least.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 4, 2010; 1:10 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mustapha Farrakhan's dunk is ESPN's top play
Next: The '84 Caps, in pictures

Comments

Ha, well If "Three Guys in the Morning" said it, it must be true!

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 4, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Maybe those from the Great White North love OV but that message clearly hasn't made it through to the suits at NBC where the Penguins, in mean NHL, on NBC schedule has included the Penguins almost every week. Pretty good billing for a team in eighth place in the league.

Posted by: LortonVA | February 4, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Is it wrong to root for Russia because my favorite player plays for them? I mean, if the US gets to the finals and plays them, I can't go against my country, but if Russia's playing Canada or anyone else, all bets are off

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | February 4, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Ottawa: 3 white guys in the morning
DC: The Sports Junkies
Advantage: Ottawa

Posted by: bukaki23 | February 4, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Like Tiger Woods' treatment by the media when polls showed much of the public either didn't care or let it go, I have a feeling the bit of truth found in May's statement comes from the Canadian hockey media as opposed to the entire public being against Ovie or the Caps.

Posted by: jcleggette | February 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Ohh how I want Canada to get trounced at home in front of their fans. Ovechkin being the villain would be too good for Hollywood and I would be cheering on the "Red Menace" with a passion!

Posted by: mjwies11 | February 4, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

LOL, since when is Sid accustomed to being at the top of the point standings? He's never led the NHL in goals or assists. He has led the NHL in exactly one category in his entire career (points 2007). So unless you are taking juniors into account he isn't exactly accustomed to being at the top.

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 4, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ouvan59 | February 4, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, when Ovi, Sasha, and Varly take the Olympic Ice against Team USA, it will be impossible for me to allow nationalism to overcome my hockey pride. As a young kid who watched the Miracle on Ice, I can't believe I am saying this, but I hope Russia wins it all. Give Ovi a taste of winning, and let him bring it back to the NHL playoffs. Oh, I will be anti-Canada for every game because of neglecting Mike Green.

Posted by: LeopardSeal | February 4, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

ugh, I love Ovie but it'd be real hard for me to root for Russia in anything. Same goes for China, North Korea, Iran, etc...

Posted by: thedude1974 | February 4, 2010 4:15 PM | Report abuse

wow what a job - i think half the talkbacks have more content than this "Bog" I'm jealous.

Posted by: nativedc | February 4, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what Canucks think! Let them root for Cindy.

Posted by: rcc11 | February 4, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Be careful about blanket statements about Canadians. I have been a Cap fan since 1981 but I live in Canada a few streets from where Sidney Crosby lives. (I know I put up with abuse here)...but I have friends in other parts of Canada that can't stand Crosby (they think he whines....go figure) but they probably will want Canada to do well in the Olympics though.

There are many decent knowledgeable hockey fans that live in Canada that completely "get" Ovie. They love him, and they buy his jerseys. The media will be forced to give him love....and its only some of the media that don't already.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | February 5, 2010 6:12 AM | Report abuse

I will be cheering for Russia first (unless the U.S. plays them...well I will still cheer for em!) and I am cheering for any team playing Canada! I also hope Backie playes well!

Posted by: capscoach | February 5, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I am viewing the Olympics through the new global perspective: The Cold War is over, the Wall is now down. When it comes to the Olympics, I'm still a Caps fan. Go Russia! (they aren't the Red Army anymore)

Posted by: AADCDERM | February 5, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm Canadian and live in D.C. Ovi is my favorite athlete of any sport. I get so TIRED of people complaining about how Canadians love Crosby and hate Ovechkin. It's just not true. Sure, you've got some homers in the media up there, but for every homer with their rose-colored glasses about Crosby, you've got four other writers saying that Ovi is the best in the sport. The last time Ovi was in Vancouver, there was a line around the block waiting for an autograph from him.

We're not all Don Cherry for crying out loud (in fact, most of us aren't).

Posted by: notindc1 | February 11, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse