Cliff Tucker's game-winning shot: the video

"Maryland's first win on a last-second shot since Drew Nicholas' Forever Moment against UNCW in the 2003 NCAA tournament," Patrick Stevens wrote moments after Cliff Tucker hit a real Buckhantz Dagger against Georgia Tech Saturday afternoon. Maybe it didn't have the significance of the Nicholas shot, but people who were there won't ever forget it, barring a tragic mishap in which their memories are erased.

There just aren't many moments in sports that can top a go-ahead last-second near-impossible three-pointer. And when you add in the fact that Greivis Vasquez had just hit an even more impossible last-second go-ahead three-pointer, only to have it wiped out by a timeout...yeah, this was one people will remember.

Above is the Raycom call. Below is Chick Hernandez's CSN report, with Tucker and teammates reacting to the shot and the post-shot madness.

And since Chick always brings the goods, here were some of the money quotes, concerning the post-shot running-around-in-circles bedlam, which also is hard to beat.

"I was running my hardest, I've never seen him run that hard in practice or any time," Dino Gregory said.

"That was the fastest I've ever seen him run," Eric Hayes Chick Hernandez said.

"I just kept running around, I didn't know where to go," Tucker said. "Just hoping somebody grabbed me and stopped me, because I would have gotten tired eventually."

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 20, 2010; 10:50 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Josh Howard wants to make the playoffs
Next: Collin Balester's mustache is incredible

Comments

sports fans in this area deserved a win like that. Even though the announcers were terrible, that is one of the most re-watchable highlights in umd history. the student section was going BONKERS!

-Ray C

Posted by: rchris19820 | February 21, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

"That was the fastest I've ever seen him run," Chick Hernandez said. "

uhh that was Eric Hayes, not chick.

Posted by: mja712 | February 21, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

If Maryland plays togeather and with the swagger that got them to the tournament last year they may go far.

Please visit my blog at www.thedcsportsscene.blogspot.com

Posted by: Dlewis10 | February 21, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

It's a good day to be a Terp! Very happy for the win but even happier for TUCKER! I liked him from the first day when I heard he played quarterback in Texas and it was his dream to play here! That means he is tough and Maryland was his first choice. Let the prima donna's go someplace else.

It's a proven fact that if you give Gary Williams a good athelte with a blue collar attitude he will give you back a "PLAYER"! Tucker has all the tools and hopefully this will continue?

Posted by: sbf845 | February 21, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"Led by Vasquez, who registered 18 points to become the first player in ACC history to record 2,000 points, 700 assists and 600 rebounds in his career..."

Great win for Maryland. It was a thrilling game, with each team throwing haymakers right up until the final shot. That was a fine game and demonstrated everything that is great about college hoops.

How do you haters like Greivis now? To those who profess to be Maryland fans, yet continue to take shots at one of the greatest players in UMD history, I encourage you to turn in your fan cards. Please don't go to the games. Save some seats for real fans. You are worse than fair weather fans. You are a cancer.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | February 21, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I especially like the guy in the stands at 1:20 in the youtube video with the sign "HUEVOS".

Posted by: elpando | February 21, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Watch the last few seconds.

Why did Dino (#33) let Favors get to the boards for the tip-in ? This happened all day long: not boxing out. Very few terps have that "shot goes up, box out..." mentality. Compare it to Duke or premier teams. Fundamentals, Gentlemen (esp. when shorter than opponent.)!

Posted by: Towards_Light | February 21, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

In the first video, at the 33-35 second mark, you can see my angry fist pumping behind the refs. Good times.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 22, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse