Clinton Portis riles up LaVar Arrington

(2005 photo by Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

The football season ended on Sunday, and it was fitting that Super Bowl Week would serve up one final Clinton Portis feud. He's had a lot of these lately. (See below.) Portis would likely argue that the media are to blame, seizing on the slightest of quotes and taking them out of context, turning the innocuous into the villainous. But when it keeps happening and happening and happening...well, I don't see the same trap enveloping Ladell Betts, anyhow.

So during Portis's appearance on the NFL Network set--the same appearance in which he admitted he asked coaches to bench Mike Sellers--the tailback was asked what has changed from the Clinton Portis who played in Denver to the Clinton Portis of today.

"The Clinton Portis in Denver was young and fun, not a care in the world, 20, 21 years old, I was having fun," Portis responded. "I had Shannon Sharpe, I had Rod Smith, I had Ed McCaffrey, I had Al Wilson, John [Mobley], I had all these guys who showed me the ropes and brought me along and carried me and helped me out.

"And coming to D.C., it was like all of the sudden in D.C., some of the players feel like it was a money situation, who getting the money is a captain," he continued. "LaVar Arrington was the man in D.C. when I arrived, and all of the sudden LaVar felt like it was competition, and he left D.C. He didn't want to be in D.C. any more. He gave back $15, 20 million to leave D.C., because he felt like he wasn't the main money guy, because everybody was getting [paid]. Laveranues, myself, Deion was still getting paid, so he even had input. So I think it was just the wrong attitude, and I think for some of the beliefs that was funneled through, it was like whoever gets the money was the captain."

Hmmm. Um, ok. You know, I don't think that's exactly what they were asking. And in fact, the follow-up question was about whether Portis's game has changed since the Denver days, which is what they were wondering in the first place. Not about a retired linebacker now working in media.

As for LaVar, being a soft-spoken and reserved retiree, he had no comment.

Psych! Ha! As if!

"ok to my twitter fam im going to take a vote and this will determine how i respond to this FOOL," LaVar wrote on Twitter, setting off a series of several posts. "clinton portis said i basically left DC because he came to town and was the man-alrighty then so my question to u all is should i A-TEAR HIM UP ON THE SHOW ON MON B-JUST CALL IT AS I SEE AND EXPLAIN WITH NO MALICE OR C-NOT EVEN ADDRESS IT- look im a grown man should i respond to my childs comments or not."

LaVar asked Chad Ochocinco for advice via Twitter. Eventually he came back with this:

"PS I JUST WATCH THE CLIP WITH SOUTH EAST JEROME! I WISH I COULD POST THE LINK! ITS HARD FOR ME TO GET MAD AT A CLUELESS PERSON I WILL PRAY FOR HIM AND I WILL HAVE SOME WORDS ABOUT HIS COMMENTS ON MONDAYS SHOW SO BE READY."

I'm ready, LaVar. Trust me, I'm ready.

And if/when Portis says these comments were taken out of context, I'd remind him of this list. Sure, it's all taken out of context, but if you don't want people to get riled up, make sure your words are benign, no matter what the context. Anything can look tame when you throw it on page 673 of War and Peace, but in a sound-bite world, counting on some sort of mollifying context is a risky bet.

The O-line: "I wish I could go to a team for one week with the best offensive line, or the team with the best scheme, and switch places with their back and see how others would do in this system....I get a lot of touches with nowhere to run. I could see if I got all those touches and had some lanes, but there's nine or 10 men in the box. You know, I'm dodging all the people in the backfield, fighting just to get back to the line of scrimmage."

Jim Zorn: "We got a genius for a head coach, I don't know, I'm sure he on top of things. He's got everything figured out. Hey, that's up to him. All I can do is when he calls a play is go out and try to execute to the best of my ability."

Brian Mitchell: "We got some haters, and there's one on this show. He's so caught up in whatever I do and being negative about it. Man, I really want to know what's going on....There's a man on your show who can't keep my name out of his mouth, it's always the negativity....So the fools saying Portis need to shut up, they can kiss Portis's ass. I'm saying that. Ain't nothing gonna change, my man."

John Riggins: "I think he was a great running back, but think of who else was around, you know? Really not hard to be a great running back when you've got all that talent and help around you. I think they just had great teams, you know? I think everybody who played in that era as a running back was big around here, so it really ain't no ill will. I'm minding my business, and hopefully he'll do the same."

Mike Sellers: "We got into the game, I felt like Mike was lacking. I let Mike know that he was lacking. Listen, that's what he asked me to do, so I just asked him, I told him, I said Mike, c'mon baby, I need you. We went out, it happened again. Therefore I came to the sideline and I told them, I was like I just didn't want a fullback in front of me, put me in one-back."

Locker room leaders: "I know I never went to the media with anything but my issues. I never came to anybody and said, 'Well, this is going on, that's going on, this is going on.' Somehow, some way, everything goes and was leaked into the media and is the topic of conversations and you got so many anonymous guys talking about, 'Well, this ain't right,' and don't put their name behind it. Like, take credit for what you say."

Jason Campbell: "I think Jason, you can't place so much on somebody who's not ready for that situation. I think Jason has enough trouble in getting the plays in and worrying about this, compared to controlling the huddle and making sure, 'Oh, we do this and we do that.' But you go and vote Jason Campbell [as captain] -- you know Jason Campbell ain't go and tell the coach, 'Well, we need to do this or we need to do that,' or 'This is how the players want it.' "

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 8, 2010; 9:55 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jeff Schultz takes on Sidney Crosby
Next: NBC's Caps-Penguins coverage

Comments

Posted by: dpkennedy | February 8, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

"Ummm, huntin' is legal"

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | February 8, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Hmm, I seem to recall Lavar left dc cause Gwilliams would play him and the owner screwed him out of $6m. That stuff doesn't happen to guys who party with the owner in Vegas. I haveuch respect for guys like Lavar who are willing to literally pay money to escape a situation where they were not given the opportunity to contribute. Too bad he couldn't get the ring with the giants.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 8, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

How I wish this jackass would get out of town.

Posted by: ridgely1 | February 8, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

When Portis had a feud with Jason Campbell, 90% of the public sided with Campbell. When Portis feuds with LaVar, I'm guessing 90% are going to be on LaVar's side too.

I just don't understand how this can make sense in Portis's head, let alone anyone else's. Portis is saying LaVar left DC because he was jealous that he wasn't the only player getting paid. He's implying that all LaVar cares about is money. Yet LaVar was willing to pay millions of HIS OWN money just to get the hell out of DC? That doesn't add up to me.

From everything I've heard, LA left for two reasons. 1- Because he didn't think Williams was getting the most out of his abilities. And 2- Because he wanted to win a ring, and didn't think he'd ever have a chance to do that in Washington.

Just because Portis's main motivation for everything he does is money doesn't mean every player is the same way.

Posted by: DCUMD | February 8, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KDSmallJr | February 8, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Lets see if the SKINS really have a "GM" or just a new Snyder mouth piece. Get rid of Portis. He's a cancer in the locker room and he CAN'T run anymore. He's never had breakaway speed in a Skins uniform.

Posted by: oneft2dice | February 8, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

F Portis... go back to the U and take English 101 (or remedial English 099); your talent strikingly matches your grammar.

Posted by: duh2mag | February 8, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Arrington wasn't screwed out of $6m, his agent screwed him out of $6m. Arrington signed the contract, and then refused to live up to it. He was worthless as a player, and he's even more worthless on the radio.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | February 8, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

While I no longer ride on CP's bandwagon, he does have a few valid points (as hard as it is to interpret). I don’t believe ANY running back would have had success behind the absolutely horrible line we’ve fielded the past several years. And as for Mike Sellers, the dude HAS been a stud. But, his performance this past season was subpar compared to previous efforts. Not only CP, but JC as well, suffered from what I considered very poor blocking from Sellers. All that being said, it’s time for CP to move on, even if it’s to another team.

Posted by: sportphoto | February 8, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

baahhhaaaa, haa haa

This Redskins have become such a joke. Portis has completely lost it -- both on the field and off. If you wonder why this team stinks so badly, I offer you Mr. Portis (the Team Leader) as exhibit A.

He even had the nerve to criticize John Riggins. Hey idiot, Riggins went to two Super Bowl, has a ring and is in the HOF -- accomplishments you'll never know.

I will guarantee you one thing, if this moron is still playing for the Skins next season, this team will still stink. One because Portis can't run the ball and two because he's a cancer in the locker room. Winning begins with the attitude of the players.

Do you think anyone on the Saints are taking shots at their teammates? Do you think that Joseph Addai takes shots at Peyton Manning's leadership style? Do you think that the Reggie Bush goes to the coaches to have the fullback benched?

Ah, the Daniel Synder Redskins -- the best soap opera in the NFL.

Posted by: blackmanhl | February 8, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

"Does anybody else with both dudes would just leave DC now? Both of their acts have grown tired."

Whoever wrote that, got it right. I do believe Portis inability to articulate his thoughts are part of the problem doesn't change the fact that he is an @$$. He sure can block though, but is an excellent blocking tailback worth Champ Bailey, a #2 draft pick and a ton of discord? Jettison this dude quick see if someone will give a 2 6th rounder for him and be done.

LaVarr is a bitter @$$ as well. And he openly applauds the Cowboys, that alone should provide a one way ticket out of Dodge.

Posted by: KenMarshall | February 8, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

CP, just leave. Amazing Snyder hangs around with this guy. Why don't the two of them go off to an island together and don't come back.

Posted by: nolngeraseasontixhder | February 8, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Just cut this worthless P.O.S. already. Would anyone care for a free Portis Jersey?

I have one that has several brown fecal skid marks on it from where I have wiped myself after taking a dump.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | February 8, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

ship this fool anywhere, i don't care where he goes just as long as he's not on the redskins anymore.

Posted by: nhizzat | February 8, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

@kenmarshall do you even listen to his show? apparently not...

Posted by: nhizzat | February 8, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

This isn't an excuse, but i bet Portis was raised by a single mother or his grandma or somehting like that. I had a roommate in college that was raised by his mother all his life. he wasn't gay, but some of his social skills were just b!tchy and messy just like a woman. 9 out of 10 guys just don't say anything until things get to a point where they need to say something. My roommate and Portis just always have something to say. now my roommate is a lawyer, so it served him well. Portis just got a little wannabe star btch in him.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Really...

DC should sponsor a class called... "JUST SHUT UP"... especially for Gil and CP... 2 guys whose mouths have been more impactful than their play recently.

Posted by: HollywoodPB | February 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I love Clinton Portis as a player and I am probably in the minority in thinking hes still got some left and can still be productive especially with the coaching changes...Does Clinton run his mouth too much??..perhaps...Heck Ill even give you a yes...and call him a blabber mouth...However you know what hes not ?.. A liar...Qoute...by qoute...by qoute...id say what hes saying is true!...Our Oline wasnt getting it done...Zorn proved not to be ready as a head coach...Sellers blocking out the backfield was dropping off...and was picked up when Yoder was in the game...and Jason Campbell isnt a vocal leader...he was voted capt. by default if you ask me. If JC played any other position on the feild would you still see him as a capt. ? A player a team can rally behind? Im not so sure if would...Portis is only saying what a lot of people think including himself and standing by it...i give him credit for that. But for the team's sake I hope Shanny sits down with him to let him know he doesnt have to broadcast everything and keep it in house.

Posted by: killahbee1 | February 8, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really care what this fool says? He's always got an excuse for why he sucks as a running back. Typical of these pamered premadonnas - always blame the other guy. And talking trash about Riggins???

Dear Portis - in any place but the NFL a cretin like you would be making minimum wage and probably flipping burgers at McDonalds. Why don't you just shut up and be thankful for what you've got????

Posted by: xconservative | February 8, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

If Clinton ever writes his autobiography, he should call it: "How to Lose Friends and Piss Off People"

Posted by: randysbailin | February 8, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

As noted before-CUT HIM LOOSE-he has always been a cancer in this team. In addition, he has never been all that. His success in Denver had more to do with the system, other players,and Shanahan, than his individual talent.
He'll never live up to the hype in his own head. Get the loser out.

Posted by: alyd69 | February 8, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Hmmmmm...Who to side with, LaVar or Clinton? Two ego maniacs who love the spotlight. Looks like we have a nice catfight in the making.

Posted by: sjp879 | February 8, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Now before I say this, I believe Clinton Portis sometimes needs to bite his tongue a little bit because of how the public and media like to make a big deal out of everything. But thats not him, he speaks his mind. I find it refreshing that an athlete doesn't give all of the cliches and say whats "right". Clinton Portis speaks his mind, and if you look at the above quotes, most of them are true. I like it that he is able to say what he means and not sugarcoat it with "athlete speak." Now I do agree, that he does need to scale it down a bit, because people like to jump on him.

Posted by: SkinsWizStangs | February 8, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I really wish this sawed off little piece of SH-T would just go away and shut the hell up!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 8, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: milescobb | February 8, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

CP (aka CANCER), just go the F___ away. Take your tired act and get th F___ out of town.

Posted by: goodbye26 | February 8, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

This man, and I use the term loosly, Will never live up to his contract! He is just like agent zero! He does not know when to shut up! I don`t care if he speaks the truth or not! It is a team sport and that is a concept that he will never know! You do not go to the media with your problems! He should have learned that a long time ago,but like I said he will never get it because he is an IDIOT!! If Mr. Shanahan is any kind of coach he will see this guy is a cancer to his team and GET HIM OUT OF TOWN!! PLEASE, before he infects the rest of the Redskin players with his mouth!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 8, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Portis is telling the truth about each and every one of the people mentioned. Zorn and Arrington were mad fools of by Snyder and his B.S. Campbell should have been benched in favor of Collins a long time ago and Portis have a "lot" left but he need better performers around him. Sellers have been an up and down performer last season and need to get back with it. The young wideouts will finally pay some dividends for us.

Posted by: gman54 | February 8, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Where's the 'Skins super-fan-#1 to tell us all how we're wrong and CP is just misunderstood and how LaVar is just bitter?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 8, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Arrington riding a motorcycle and wrecks...there is the fool that ended his playing days too soon due to career ending injuries!!!

Posted by: gman54 | February 8, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Advice to Portis: Shut your mouth!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 8, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

CP Just shut up and take your nose out of Danny's a$$. It’s embarrassing.

Posted by: qballgeek | February 8, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Again we see grown men, at least chronologically, acting like children...Portis says Lavar and others resented him because he was getting paid...You are an athlete getting paid to perform..why should you care what others think...did Michael Jordan, Tiger, Lebron,Ovechkin, Deon....NO!!!!!

Lavar is a drama queen..he was when playing and continues to be one...of course this is all good for his radio career and the station...take what these guys say with a grain of salt and don't get your pressure up over it...drama,..

Posted by: pentagon40 | February 8, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I read this s*** and all I can think is "thank God for the Caps."

Posted by: kittypawz | February 8, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

PORTIS SUCKS ! F-him and F-Dallas! Never will be a team player! NEVER!!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 8, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

these ex-Redskins have a collective intellect that wouldn't even surpass that of a Scarecrow. Alex Ovechkin's broken English is more coherent than the drivel these idiots spew out of their mouths. Pathetic.

Posted by: Jambon99 | February 8, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sure, Portis maybe saying everything we fans might bring up on these blogs. But the difference is that we are only fans and he is a player who is still playing with the people he is backstabbing! He needs to leave, pronto!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 8, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Don't let Clinton Portis tell it!!! Clinton will have you believing everybody including the owner that is jealous of him.

Posted by: clifton3 | February 8, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Portis and Arrington both have hall of fame arhleticism but the Redskins destroyed each in just a few years......why you sheep still care is beyond me.

Posted by: smc635 | February 8, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"why you sheep still care is beyond me."

^^ wtf lol

Posted by: dpkennedy | February 8, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If he's trying to get traded he's doing a great job.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 8, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

JohnWWW, You are Right On!! clifton3, I like what you wrote also!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 8, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I believe there is room under the bus that CP tried to throw everyone else under. just once i'd like for him to admit that every sense his first injury, that he's be scared and gun shy. every time i turn around he has an excuse for his lack of performance. Cut him. I'm interested in the value for a Gilbert Arenas in pads.

Posted by: elbriscoe | February 8, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedCherokee | February 8, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I read this s*** and all I can think is "thank God for the Caps."

Posted by: kittypawz | February 8, 2010 3:28 PM

lol

O-V 4 MVP!!!

Posted by: RedCherokee | February 8, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I don't like either one of these two dimwits.

However, Portis is a stone cold idiot, and a cancer on this team.
Moreover Portis is a first class A-hole.

I have to side, with LaVar on this one.

Posted by: dashriprock | February 8, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Trying to read what Portis says is like reading an english essay my 7 year old niece writes for school. Portis should stop talking to the media, because the guy needs to learn how to speak with a little more intelligence. If anything he is embarrassing himself more then the people is trying to shove under the bus. We should trade him, Campbell and Randle El, for draft picks. This team needs a new offensive identity. Two are either at the end of their careers, and Campbell needs a fresh start in a new city in order for him not to end up on the DC black list.

Posted by: AldoFaCaldo | February 8, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

la var need to learn how to run a busniess. cp may not allway say thing the right way but he make good ponits lavar did not leave for money but about cample its tru he not aleader may be 4 takin hits an getting up. mike sellers gave up on plays we seen it if ur were looking at the games. an the oline it was tru they was some s-hit an if they anit want that said about them play better. yall A hole get mad because cp speaks his mind an want him out of dc when he has been the only good thing in dc for the pass 5 years last year cp was hurt all year since he has been in dc the only other rb that had more yard an carries was LT from the chagers. come on yall want jc out of dc an cp an we never had a line. come on cp just speaking what no one else says the line was s_hit an what he said was real lar var is cool but he runs his mouth a lot bmitch is ok but when did he run 300 plus times a year cp has 1000 carries in 3 years rb dont do that an make it in the nfl like cp gve me break

Posted by: SMOKEONLYGREEN | February 8, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

CP - The initials should stand for another way you call a cat or a kitten. And he's acting like one too! He's all about the money. He's good days are behind him.

Posted by: Dweaver2 | February 8, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

He may not be the right messenger, but the message is spot on.

Posted by: agupta1 | February 8, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

1. I am an educated man but cannot understand at least 1/3 of what he is trying to say. I would not have trouble believing that he never actually passed a class after junior high school.

2. From what I get from the 2/3 that I understand, everything wrong is somebody else's fault.

3. It appears to me that our running game improved after he was injured. Am I wrong?

Posted by: oldnova | February 8, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis has outgrown his welcome in DC. He needs to go.

Posted by: nelsonronald73 | February 8, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Arrington and Portis both need to get out of town.
Neither did anything for their teams while boosting their egos.

Posted by: jyshim | February 8, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Couldn't have said it better jyshim. On top of it all Arrington got the best coach we had until that point fired because he didn't want to play end. He had his best season as a pro with Marty and he got him run out of town. Arrington is the village idiot and Portis is an ass clown. And last IT IS THE MEDIA. We have nothing to read or write about the Redskins, and we are lazy, so lets call Clinton and ask him a few questions. Between him and whoever he says dumb crap about coming back, we will have material for days without ever having to do any actual reporting or research. Come on guys we all know you can lead poor dumb Clinton into saying anything you want. Is it really even fun anymore?

As for Arrington I had to stop watching the shows he was on and I listen to other stations because of his and Brian Mitchell's shows, but especially Arrington's. At least Mitchell earned his right to say what he wants. Arrington is a petulant child who still thinks he was something special. He couldn't learn a defense, he cost us win after win trying to make Reaper (RIP) like plays and didn't have half the talent. When he went to the Giants he was exposed yet again.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | February 8, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Portis also said on the John Thompson show that Tiger Woods should be applauded for his infidelities since it is hard enough to date two women at the same time, let alone twelve (they playe the clip on Sports Reporters). Yes his grammar be bad, but they guy knows Exactly what he be sayin'. Trade this prima-donna to Buffalo, since they are fool enough to take T.O. and probably Michael Vick. If Snyder doesn't dump this fool, it is a sure sign that "ain't nothin' changed."

Posted by: cakehydrant | February 8, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

the modern athlete is what is killing the Skins and the sport in general. I dont care how much money they make and its the greed that is killing us. just work out and play the game. go old school and watch the life come back to the game. m0ney grubbers are killing team unity and that almost always kills the teams!

Posted by: redskins-4481 | February 8, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

"All of this could simply be both of them lacking the ability to express their thought intelligibly."

Ummm..."intelligibly?" When did that become a word? I believe our learned friend meant to say "intelligently."

"Hi Pot. I'm Kettle. You're black."

Posted by: mebail | February 8, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

"Whenever I hear Portis talk or read his quotes I really wonder about how many consussions he's had that he didn't report."

All I think about his how many bong hits he took at "The U" between his Theory of Dining Hall Cuisine and Principles of Modern XBox Warfare classes.

Posted by: mebail | February 8, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

hey mebail, take a look.....

Posted by: BenThere | February 8, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse

You know, I've suddenly realized what Clinton Portis is all about: A selfish and no accountability jerk! Have any of you notice the comments he's made during his time here that the fault lies with someone else but not him. And whenever he says publicly that he needs to do better to help his teammates, it's never heartfelt or sincere. What Jason Campbell said about him just ripped the band-aid from the scab and exposed who Clinton Portis is as a teammate and how fed up they are with him (just look at his offseason workout program). If this was a team vote, Clinton would be voted off the island. I just hope they get rid of this guy---quick.

Posted by: WendellWashington | February 8, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

This is how Portis endears himself to the new GM, huh? He's almost as bright as mebail. How does your foot taste BTW?

Posted by: edvar | February 8, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

I will take Lavar on this one, bu only because of his hit on Aikman.

Posted by: robjway1 | February 8, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

There's a new Sheriff and Mayor in town, and believe me Clinton .. they ARE paying attention to the 3-ring circus that you always seem to travel with the last couple of years! A guy in the twilight of his career, making FAR too much money based on recent output, and being the cancer of the locker room, while also being best buddies with the owner .. that might have worked with Snyderratto, but I am betting dollars to dognuts that it WON'T work any longer! Trade .. this .. guy! I have FAR more respect for Lavar than Clinton! At least Lavar PAID to go to another team!

Posted by: praxis22 | February 8, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

portis reminds me of TO...overpaid and talks a lot. But TO is a great WO, portis is average now so get rid of him.

Posted by: forcewinder | February 8, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to make the case that CP is not a ridiculous dude... but I KNOW that the morons who commented on this post are not in their right minds because of how extra-hard they've decided to trash the man right now.

Hey, you bunch of anonymous internet sheep-- Clinton Portis hasn't carried this team to any Superbowls... but it's a team sport, and he's part of a select few Redskins that have come as close to taking the field & putting a team on their backs as one can get.

If you are an old-schooler who just doesn't like his personality, fine. If you're an English teacher that bristles that hard at bad grammar, well hey- it must suck to be an English teacher anyways. But if you're just one of many frustrated Skins fans that want the team to return to glory, and the target you pick to lash out at is #26?!?...you're just showing that you can't see the forest for the trees, and you embarrass the rest of us. Watch the games, idiot.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | February 8, 2010 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Thats a lot of bad stuff to say about folks for any one man. Heck, you'd need 7 or 8 different personalities just to make all that stuff up.

wait...soufeast jerome...sheriff gonna get'cha...

Posted by: 20yrskinfan | February 8, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Portis reminds me of that insecure guy that is always talking sh#t about everyone else, hoping nobody notices, in this case, that he ran like hammered dung last year.

YES, when he was healthy a couple years ago, he was a great runner and blocker... even a better than accredited receiver, but...

WHY is it so hard for him to avoid offending other people?

I watch the games and he was NOT himself last year. Hopefully, that trend will revert, but if it doesn't, look for 26 to trip over his own feet, blame someone else for it, and show up after the game to blast someone who is not even on the team anymore.

I MUCH preferred the Southeast Jerome act to what we're left with. This is getting ridiculous.

Posted by: Thinker_ | February 8, 2010 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs to bring the shovel that he uses to dig these inane holes to my house to help clear out this snow!

Shananhan has already thrown down the gauntlet to get into better shape. CP should save himself the effort and declare him self ready for placement on the PUP list.

CP should be gone after the 2nd preseason game.

Posted by: pdavidsonsr | February 8, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

For those in the room engaged in revisionist history, you've gotta side with me and admit that CP carried us on his back in the '05 season (w/Brunell at QB) and took us to the playoffs and when we started out 6-2 (w/Campbell) in '08 when he was the NFL's leading rusher...well, need I say more.

Yes, sometimes his comments are unhelpful but you gotta admit, he's spot on.

Posted by: jsmith33351 | February 9, 2010 12:01 AM | Report abuse

can we, can we just all play and win! and try to get along.commmmmoooonnnnnnnnnn, this is worst than, that thing, whos on first and whats on third, heck i dont know. i want to see some focus from all of you. you all get paid pretty good and i dont want to see this crap or hear your personal thoughts. you all are getting paid to slug it out with the other teams not with each other.

Posted by: kreed21 | February 9, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

As a life long die hard Redskin fan, i can say this..."Sometimes it seems as if you fools dont realize theres a winner in this town." LETS GO CAPS. OVECHKIN 2 TIME M.V.P.

Posted by: scorpiothegreat | February 9, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

I doubt Portis will read this because I doubt he can read. He certainly can't speak a complete, grammatically correct sentence of English. He seems to speak ghetto well.

As for Portis' claims:

Yes, he played behind a terrible O-Line
Yes, Mike Sellers played poorly since his Pro Bowl 2008 season
Yes, Zorn was a poor play caller

Portis is a terrible teammate and is a locker room cancer. I think he is spouting off to get cut/waived during the off season. I think he has gotten soft and no longer wants to put the effort in. Since he knows Shanahan's expectations on work ethic and team behavior, he is looking for a softer home. He knows he won't be able pull himself out of games when he wants a long breather, can't miss practice, OTAs and training like he has under Zorn, thanks to his relationship with Danny and Vinny.

So, what do we do with him? Do we cut him and get zero value for him? Is there another available back out there that is better than a good Portis? In my opinion, no. I think we have to keep him through training camp to see how he conditions himself and how he practices. I am not 100% clear on the salary cap hit in the 2010 no collective bargaining agreement season, provided there is a complete season with no strike.

Posted by: neil64 | February 9, 2010 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Clint, The first run you made against Tampa Bay for 64 yrds was impressive. Since then the only real running you've been doing has been with your big illiterate mouth. ( Illiterate, look it up..)If I were a bettin' man I'd say you were on your way now. You have fewer friends in this town than you think. Perhaps Oakland or heck, perhaps Denver will trade a 5th round pick for you. See ya...

Posted by: Blueslegend | February 9, 2010 2:23 AM | Report abuse

I think he is mouthing off because he knows his crap isn't going to fly anymore now that a real coach is in charge (his ex boss no less) Gibbs catered to Clinton and Danny Coddled him and it created a double standard in the locker room.
Shanahan has already stated that there will be no running to the owner and all problems stay within the walls of the locker room, end of story.
There are plenty of Free agent backs that we can plug into Shanny's system and can have great success. Portis has had some productive seasons but so has Ladell Betts who is certainly capable of making one cut and going upfield.
Get rid of Portis and his attitude for the second time Shanny. Maybe you can bring back the Champ and he can finish his career in DC where it began. straight across no draft picks included

Posted by: fullonfully | February 9, 2010 3:06 AM | Report abuse

What CP has done IMO...solidified his pay for next year without playing.. smart or not retire with 6 mil...he knows his tank, better than we do... everyone else is the problem...he actually has reversed a standard a- hole practice of management in any business...simple if you are not of the solution bit.. he isn't and he knows it so why not act the a... who cares... he will be sitting in comfort somewhere...I seriously doubt for another team... but some people like disruption....

Posted by: travmanf | February 9, 2010 3:41 AM | Report abuse

What will it take to trade Portis? Must Dan/Allen eat half of his 20 Mil Contract for one year to get some 2010 picks?
2010 is THE Draft year due to the high number of underclassmen coming out (labor and impending slotted position contract issues). This is the year to find that underclassmen RunningBack that is available in the 2nd or 3rd round but, may of been 1st round material in 2011.
And, conversely, the 2011 Draft will be very thin in talent.

Posted by: SkinsneedaGM | February 9, 2010 6:26 AM | Report abuse

who getting the money = who's getting the money

I am sick and tired of Portis - Next

BOYCOTT $NYDER-PORTIS POCKETS STRAIGHT!!!

Posted by: hessone | February 9, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

@JohnnyBlades

You my friend are a moron.

Posted by: hessone | February 9, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

@agupta1

Another moron. Clinton probably can't read either.

Posted by: hessone | February 9, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse

Name a Redskins player that could be dumb as a door knob?

Posted by: abxinc | February 9, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

"Say what you want Redskins fans - but CP is RIGHT about almost 100% of what he says.

He may not be the right messenger, but the message is spot on."
Posted by: agupta1 | February 8, 2010 7:21 PM
=============================================

agupta1 - Regardless of whether his message is spot on or not, the issue is that he is always taking his crybaby a$$ to the media. These issues are things that need to be resolved in the locker room, and not in the media.

And LaVar......why the F does he drag Chad Ochocinco into this? Only to make it a bigger spectacle? What an idiot.

Both of these jerks ought to just keep their mouth shut and do their job, rather than carrying out their petty arguments through the media. Or, they should man-up and talk to each other face-to-face and get it resolved.

They are like pre-pubescent teenage girls with their hurt widdle feelings.

All of this reflects the state of the NFL. It's all about thugs who want money and individual fame, rather than the love of the game and the glory of winning games as a team.

Disgusting....

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | February 9, 2010 8:11 AM | Report abuse

hey "mebail" did you go to the 'U' too?? lol
intelligibly: capable of being understood or comprehended
I think mr educated used the word correctly.

Posted by: theFlatman | February 9, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Please, for the love of God, get rid of this guy!!!

Posted by: Mike4169 | February 9, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

C-A-N-C-E-R

gotta go...

Posted by: kone | February 9, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

People forget, egoes aside...Lavar works at a radio station..all of this drama creates listeners which is why they are there...it's all about ratings people...

Stoking the fires is what advertisers and station managers love...Lavar may mean what he says but he is also motivated knowing CP with his dumb self will respond...no response from CP squashes any future drama...sometimes taking the high road can be a good thing...If I were making 2-3..5 mil a year I couldn't care less what anybody thought of me except my employer...

Posted by: pentagon40 | February 9, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMOKEONLYGREEN | February 8, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Um..What?!? Is this a family member of CP?

Posted by: skinsfanintampa | February 9, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

CP's has had his production cut because we have had shuch a bad O-line for years at the some time he was declining in his skills. I dont blame him for being fustrated. But I dont like the way he handles it. And since he wont respect practice he just makes it worse.

These comments are also the result of not having a GM as the boss of the team. Dan Snyder flashed his money at the highest paid players in order to restucture contracts so he could bring in another one player to overpay.

So hopefully Allen will put an end to this stuff and clarify the structure and instill some discipline and professionalism.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | February 9, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

And we traded Champ Bailey.. one of the players of the decade plus a high draft pick for this guy?? Have to say Shanahan really picked our pocket. Hopefully Shanahan can do the same FOR US next time. Have to say Portis is right about one thing.. Campbell is no leader. Watching Brees Sunday.. now that's a LEADER!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | February 9, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

God, I am SOOOOOOO ready for this knucklehead to be gone! No salary cap for '10 = a perfect time to cut him and absorb the hit...

Posted by: WhosTheManShannahan | February 9, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

CP stands for "CANCER PORTIS"

This guys needs to get his butt whooped by whole Skins nation. What a F-Er! He'll never be a Pro Bowl running back again! F him!

Posted by: datruth21 | February 9, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

you know i have to say a couple of things here . 1)lavar ya that guy was a joke an a big disappointment an portis is write he felt like he was no longer the man .that's why he made a big deal over the contract (((that he signed ))we are all sorry his agent screwed him .not the skins fault. 2)campbell that's get on this train hmmmmmm.jason has only o good year TD/INT yr in his career an lets face it is is right again they made the team captain the guy how cant hold on to the ball (YES)every year before this past 09 season everytime he tried to scramble he gave the ball up or he just misses the open receiver in the endzone he had problems before the O-line problem they just didn't help (all i have to say is Kordell stewart ) how many yrs did he get in steelers land that is who campbell has become .3) mike sellers now i thing mike just had a bad years an yes hearing that the man you block for wants you benched could make you feel a little down an pissed but i think he'll be ok. 4)zorn .lets see hear zorn wasn't ready to be the man in D.C . he was just a QB coach that got his shot at O- coordinator . that was all gregg williams falt .he couldn't wait until the end of the coaching search .the job was his an he couldn't wait. joe even told him just wait what did he do he left for jacksonville because they just didn't hand it over to him .i hope he chokes on the SB ring that no one is going to remember him being the D-coordinator for after 5 yrs .but anyway this is how we got zorn as head coach 5)portis i think hes a little crazy an he know what its like to win an that is all he wants to do .he knows what he can do an if he has concerns about what happens on the field he should address that . because that's what leads/captains do they make the problem known an nip it in the bud . unforchanet for us skin fans that we have a baby for a QB /this is football an if your not getting ribb by your coach your getting ribb by your teammates get over it backup . just my opinion we would had made the playoffs if we would have stayed with todd collins. he was old an some weren't high on him but he did help us win the last 5 games in 07-08 season an help us to the playoffs he could throw a nice long ball an he scored points an only had 1 int an had more TD's then campbell an more yards .even when he came in for crybaby this yr he did some good thing but just didn't have enough time i will post again

Posted by: buffflexkickass | February 9, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

CP, I do believe that most of your comments were quoted erroneously - but for that reason and that reason alone, don't make any more comments. I clearly understand "Clintonspeak" and know enough to know that it is not due to your lack of education or command of the english language. It is easier to speak in sentence fragments than with well thought out sentences. It is ebonics plain and simple with a little southern edge on it. Unfortunately, most of these guys on this blog are English Majors - not atheletes and they get real testy when the Kings English is not spoken correctly. F##k em!

Posted by: SPUD2 | February 9, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KDSmallJr | February 8, 2010 11:18 AM
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
he went to "The U" .....he and many of hisn fine alum friends talk the same way--quite poorly! nuff said......

PS--CP--man up like Lavar did and give back your money and see who else wants you!

Lavar--sorry it didn't work out here......thought it would so much so I bought one of your jerseys!

Posted by: tabtool | February 9, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

CP, the running back version of TO. I will admit some of his press conferrences with alter egos and costumes were entertaining.
What IS NOT entertaining is throwing your fellow team mates, coaches and media staff under the bus. It's always someone else's fault. Time to man-up, find another team and move on. Do some soul searching this off-season and accept some responsibility.

Posted by: poundtherock | February 9, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

So Portis misrepresented the facts surrounding LaVar's departure from DC. Big deal...LaVar misrepresents EVERY fact about Dan Snyder, yet I don't see Snyder going off on some ridiculous public tirade over it.

And to those that keep repeating the lie that Snyder screwed LaVar out of 6 million...please for the love of God get a clue. Go read the facts of the case. The NFL players association suspended LaVar's agent for 2 years due to his negligence in reviewing the contract. 2 years! Snyder didn't screw LaVar, LaVar's agent screwed LaVar.

People hate Snyder so much for the Redskins record over the last 10 years that they are willing to believe anything about the guy, even things that have been proven to be false. Sad.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 9, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

It's pretty easy to see a big reason for the skins failures for the past 10 yrs. Too much money. I am so tired of hearing,"pay the man". Money destroys motivation and heart. The Saints had more heart as a team than I have seen in years. Something money can't buy. Time for CP and any other big shot millionare football player to thier "minor league" game somewhere else. DC needs players with heart.

Posted by: CROSSHugger | February 9, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Portis is doing a lot of talking and that is not good for the team. Keep and handle it In-House

Posted by: tlj-Shortribs | February 9, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

again, expecting Portis to speak eloquently to the media is like expecting marv albert to rush for 100 yards in an NFL game.

he challenged his O line and they responded

jim zorn was eventually fired

brian mithchell does have a "chip in his shoulder"

riggins did have a better supporting cast

sellars was missing blocks and is OLD

campbell and portis spoke and squashed the leadership comments

since when are RB's eloquent spokesmen? since never.

this article is suited for a girly gossip mag, not a sports page

Posted by: pabrian2003 | February 9, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh for goodness sake, please send that illiterate fool packing!

Posted by: Redskinrex | February 9, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

When are Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen going to take control of this team. They need to fire Portis NOW!

Posted by: rbrown1249 | February 9, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Portass and LA are both screwed in the head. LA was on over-rated big mouth. (kudos to Ricky Williams for embarassing him on the field). LA started out on a bad note, by being a rookie hold out, finally showhing up, out of shape, not ready to start by the season opener. He had a tendancy to make dump penalties, and have dumb excuses for making them. "I'm just so into the game I can't help myself...blah blah blah".
It's no coincidence that the defense was better without him. When he was out because of his ankle, he accused the staff of being over-protective. When they put him back in, and he got hurt again, he accused the staff of pushing him to get back in too soon. I don't know why he's all-of-a-sudden viewed as a class act. He's a little bit better man than Port-ass, but not much.

Posted by: tigger0705 | February 9, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

CP26 is a toxic employee. See ya! He needs

to look into a mirror to see the problem.

Too bad. He had talent, but blew it. To dis

one's coach, one's QB, one's fellow players

is telling testimony. He ain't worth it any

more. Bye Bye CP...

Posted by: DeployedFan | February 9, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a dumb as a box of rocks, but his comments on Jason Campbell were probably correct if you can translate the ebonics.

Posted by: theBozyn1 | February 9, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Portis is an idiot! The guy went to "The U." Probably can't spell university. More importantly, Shanahan has proven over and over (case in point the afore mentioned idiot) that he can pluck a running back out of thin air and turn him into a 1000 yard rusher. Cut Portis, he's poison.

Posted by: BKCT | February 9, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

CP - you are a reject. Lavar has the attitude the Skins need. He could have been the greatest Skins linebacker ever.

Posted by: ar652 | February 9, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Dan,
I think Clinton is misunderstood because of his inability to articulate his thoughts. I think he is trying to say that people expected him to be a vocal team leader because he is/was one of the most highly paid players, and that he is not that type of guy. I think he is saying he leads by his performance, but is not a leader in his off-field interactions with his teammates. It seems fair to say he gives it all on the field and doesn't want the responsibility of off-field leadership, whether as "Captain" or in an unofficial/informal role.

Posted by: chas2 | February 9, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

who cares, portis has only scored like 20 tds in the last 4 years. let playing speak for itself. jeez.

Posted by: BMACattack | February 9, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Why does Lavar stay in Washington? He has nothing but bad things to say about the Redskins. I do not even understand why he has a following. The guy turned sour because his agent was not diligent and he thought he got cheated out of 5M or 10M. The reality without the extra 5M or 10M he was still way overpaid. He should go to NY where he closed out his career.

Posted by: m_p_holmes | February 9, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

The skins need to clean house and dump 90% of these overpaid thugs on the roster--all they care about is the bling and going to clubs, not winning.

Posted by: Socialistic | February 9, 2010 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Portis is right. No body can run with the o line we have...:Lavar was fine in my book until he called Dan Snyder a cheat. I'm glad he's gone ..he didn't go far enough away.
Now we have a real coach who knows how to use Portis. He will be super. He always was..Zorn, a nice guy, didn't know what he was doing. Go Redskins!

Posted by: Rocananda1 | February 10, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Portis has a concussion and wants out of the Redskins and the NFL, but he wants compensation. That's why he is being "special". In the end the Redskins will have to cut and pay him.

Posted by: adrian7 | February 10, 2010 4:20 AM | Report abuse

I say just let CP and Lavar fight it out in a celebrity MMA fight or something of the like...I'd take great pleasure in seeing Lavar give this dude the beatdown he deserves, assuring his career is over.

Posted by: scottmando | February 10, 2010 7:54 AM | Report abuse

SPUD2,F-ck you!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 10, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I think Portis wants out of DC.The guy is either dumber than a rock or clever enough to create controversy to get himself traded or released.I would rather believe he is clever and trying to manipulate his departure.

Posted by: bowspray | February 10, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

LaVarr left for a couple of reasons, Danny screwing him out of some money and not being able to play in Greg Williams defensive scheme, as well as his motorcycle accident http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/lavar-arringtons-motorcycle-ac.html
Clinton says what we all say at home...Zorn was an idiot, Jason(although tough with a lot of heart and no line) just couldn't get it done. Whoever think Collins would've been better is insane. Portis has given a great deal to the 'Skins, played hurt runs hard etc. but he's an old back now and is no better than a backup, time to move on. But I defend what he says although petty and selfish..no one here can say he's lying about anything.

Posted by: watersgolf1 | February 10, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Clinton's got to speak with actions, not words. Maybe he'll be able to work out and practice on a regular basis if Bill Romanowski teaches his "special" strength and conditioning techniques to Clinto?

Posted by: jburnetti | February 10, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is just not a very smart person. You put a mic in front of him and sooner or later he will say something stupid.

As a player he is getting close to 30 and his most productive years are in the past. This Skins have a ton of needs to address but I am sure Allen and Shanahan know adding young RB is necessary if this team plans on winning games next year.

Posted by: skinsFan74 | February 10, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

The skins just need to get rid of this guy! Even if he still has a few good years left. Lately he has been nothing but a cancer to this team. As a life long skins fan I feel he has frequently been just another embarrasment. Everytime he opens his mouth he makes no sense at all and I just wish he would shut the hell up! If he would produce on the field and stop with the nonsense, broken english, it's everbody elses fault comments then MAYBE he might be worth taking a chance on. But, he has proven time and time again that doesn't have the wherewithal to do this. I hope he fully recovers from his concussion but I just don't know how you continue to put up with this s..t!!!

Posted by: kreehead | February 10, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Arrington is a never was,Portis is not what he thinks he is bundle Cooley,Tanner and the above for a dollar fifty time to get some new blood

Posted by: southportwave | February 10, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

LET'S ALL JUST HOPE, AND PRAY, THAT ALLEN IS AS INTELLIGENT AS HE THINKS HE IS, AND CAN SOLVE PRECISELY THESE KINDS OF ISSUES.

ARRINGTON IS GONE AND PORTIS CERTAINLY SHOULD BE CLEANING OUT HIS LOCKER THIS OFF-SEASON.

IT WOULDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE WHO
WAS HIRED TO RUN THIS FRANCHISE, IF THEY ARE GOING TO KEEP INFANTILE NEANDERTHALS ON THE ROSTER DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING BETTER THAN THE BONE SMASHING SCENE IN 2001 - A SPACE ODYSSEY IN 2010.

Posted by: burro2 | February 10, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

SPUD2,F-ck you!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | February 10, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I must have hit a nerve, but if you really want to have sexual relations with me (I'm not gay nor homophobic) give a brother a call. Not sure what you look like or if you are a man or woman, but at my age, I entertain all comers (no pun intended). Better yet, stay off of the blogs blasting CP on his butchery of the English language. He is not a school teacher, but a football player. A highly paid football player. Judge him on his football abilities not his use of the King's English. He!! I don't know many Rhode Scholars who could rush for over a 1000 yards in multiple seasons as CP has. If his services are not desired in the upcoming season, he won't be here. If the coaches feels that he can contribute, he will be here. It is as simple as that.

Posted by: SPUD2 | February 10, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If this is going to be an uncapped year, it is an absolute MUST that this cancer is cut from this team.

If he has so much complaining to do about Washington, he can go the hell somewhere else.

Posted by: corky1031 | February 10, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

In my previous post: Rhodes Scholar as opposed to: Rhode Scholars. For the English Majors and grammar geeks.

Posted by: SPUD2 | February 10, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Spud, his butchery of the English language isn't what gets me. I think he gets his message across clear enough. Blame other people for things that go wrong and do it publicly. Whether he's right or wrong, stuff like that shouldn't be coming out to the media where it will cause distractions and turmoil, it should be kept in the locker room. So the fact that he can barely put together a coherent sentence is not a problem for me. The fact that he is clearly not a team player who does not keep things in-house (which is one of the first things Mike Shanahan talked about upon arrival) is a problem. This kind of crap is exactly what the Redskins need to eliminate.

Posted by: corky1031 | February 10, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

All of the quotes the article uses to incriminate Portis actually makes him sound smarter.
1. The O-line has been neglected
2. Zorn was not very smart
3. Brian Mitchell is a big-mouth with an agenda, and was a career Kick-returner
4. John Riggins is a big-mouth with an agenda, but was actually a great player
5. Leadership does lack on offense, primarily from the QB
So while the Washington Post may have a b-o-n-e-r for Ladell Betts, and views Portis as a Villain, It's really only proving he's got good perspective.

Posted by: william30 | February 10, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree that a lot of issues should be kept in the locker room. On properly constructed football teams - owners down to ball boys - issues stay in the locker room. The 'Skins have not been a normal, organized NFL team for some time now. When we had strong leadership in the coaching ranks, we resembled an average team. When we put Zorn in charge, we quickly became a joke. Everyone on the team has failed the past two years. CP failures have been the least. On most of these blogs during the season, I often heard people cry for someone on the team to speak up, to call a few people out. When CP does that, all of sudden he is a cancer and has to be gotten rid of if we are to return to glory again. That's bull. We have been given what most of us wished for during the season - Vinnie gone and Zorn fired. I've stated before, we were just a coach (offense and defense), O'linemen and a GM away from being a playoff caliber team. We have the coach, we have the GM and hopefully we will get the O'linemen. We don't need to overhaul, we need to infuse. Infuse with younger, talented players at all positions. This will be done over a period of time, not in one season. CP will break John Riggins record this coming season. If he has a good rushing year, we will have a good winning year. If we are winning, CP goes back into his many characters and flaps less about his teamates. Winning cures all.

Posted by: SPUD2 | February 10, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Its my understanding that CP will remain with the Redskins.Allen stated so via radio. Wishing him away won't help. Whether its Snyder's influence - I don't know but I too am tired of his constant need for attention via media & press interviews airing private information & information noone wants to know. Killahbee1, you couldn't be more incorrect - he can't be correct in publicly flogging his teammates. A team is only as good as its weakest link...if Campbell or Sellars are having problems...its NOT Clinton Portis' job to announce every team weakness to the public. Chad Johnson(as crazy & hyper as he is doesn't do that. Allen & Shannahan have agreed to keep him - sad for us. Perhaps its to package him in a trade. He's got brain damage...not cleared by doctor yet. One more good hit like the last...he won't remember his name as it happened this time. CP might consider leaving on disability. Also, to the guy that commented about his room mate with issues....you are correct! As the baby of his family - CP's momma still runs his life. He doesn't understand nor accepts discipline from men.

Posted by: Rozlind | February 10, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who defends Portis' attacks on other Redskins, both past and present, probably never was a very good team player themselves.

And "reading" truth into CP's quotes? I mean, it's like reading the stars... There's little rhyme of reason to the jumble of nonsense that emanates from his mouth. Is it 15 million? 20 million? Money equals captain? Really? Laveraneus Coles, too? Really, Clinton?

I'm being absolutely serious here:

I think something is wrong with CP's brain. I don't know if it was the hit he took, or that he has a dissociative disorder, I don't know, but he DEFINITELY has a very very loose grasp upon reality and facts for such a young man.

Besides the fact that he can barely formulate a sentence on a good day, the ideas behind his "words" are what really serve as insight into the kind of "teammate" he is.

As if Jason Campbell needed CP calling him out in the media... I mean, I'm not sure you even do that to somebody on ANOTHER team, let alone your own teammate!

Especially since nobody really came out in the media and asked "What are we paying CP for? He doesn't practice. And now, he doesn't even play on Sundays. Not to mention, we are BETTER without him."

But nobody did that.

But guess who would have, if the tables had been turned...

That's right. My man, CP.

NO RB is worth this headache. NONE of them. And certainly not one who can't stay healthy NOR stay on his feet anymore.

Somebody STINKS.

Posted by: Thinker_ | February 11, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

re: Will someone please give these idiots English lessons? At least, when they are being childish blaming oafs, they should be able to express themselves in ways that allow them to be understood. All of this could simply be both of them lacking the ability to express their thought intelligibly. Is this what the Redskins have been reduced to? Dear God, no wonder they can't win a game......

Amen. This is ridiculous. Whatever the feuds are, I for one can't translate it to English.

Posted by: grandstrand | February 11, 2010 5:01 AM | Report abuse

Throughout sports there have been and still are quite a few atheletes that have butchered the King's English. Yogi Berra, Moses Malone and Leon Spinks quickly come to mind. If you want to throw in boxers, half of MLB, hockey players and many other atheletes not born in America that number grows. Americans don't speak proper English, our language consists of a peppering of other languages, Latin, French, German, to name a few. Some of you who dwell on CP's English skills (or lack thereof) really dislike him for other reasons. Could it be the amount of money he makes? Or maybe it's because he spoke out when we wished that it was someone else that would have blown the whistle on the 'Skins? Or maybe because his efforts have let us down this past season. Whatever your reasons, he is not the first or last sports figure to kill the language. We have entire ethnic groups that speak their own dialect: Italian Americans, Irish Americans, Cajuns, Ebonics and quite a few others. If you can't translate it, that is your problem, not CP's.

Posted by: SPUD2 | February 11, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis,
Your job is to carry the rock. You're not getting it done.

You're fired.

Posted by: jcpublicmedia | February 11, 2010 11:00 AM | Report abuse

I remember watching Lavar roll around on a Segway in New York. That's worse than any costume Clinton put on.

Posted by: Parlett316 | February 11, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg:

I don't care about what CP says outside of the playing field. Arrington doesn't play for the skins anymore.

Everyone else:

Get over the dumb stuff athletes say and do off the field. They are talented athletes. Nothing more. You want choir boys, you'll get a good choir.

I don't really understand why reporters ask these guys questions any more. Any time they say something besides the same tired "we didn't play well enough to win" or "we are not as bad as our record says", everybody is shocked.

Posted by: jboogie1 | February 11, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

IF YOU TOOK BOTH ARRINGTON AND PORTIS AND CRACKED THEIR THICK SKULLS YOU'D HEAR AIR RUSHING IN UNTIL THE DAY PEOPLE BELIEVED BILL CLINTON ISN'T A CONSUMMATE LIAR!!!!

Posted by: burro2 | February 11, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

___________________________________________

It's the hit he took. The Bong hit.

Go away Portis- you're a bad guy and you're done. Please don't waste any more of our time, money and stop being a cancer to the Redskins.

Posted by: johnnyreds | February 11, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey give him credit where it's due. I dont see any of us fans learning Ebonics so fluidly without the help of Rosetta Stone. He has come a long way from childhood until now. I remember when he just stood there holding a lantern in someone front yard. Now he's an NFL has been. Who can say that?

Posted by: robjway1 | February 12, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

If Portis was one of the 12 followers of Christ, would he have served the Lord the same way he does with the Skins. I'm not saying the Skins are Holy-God knows they aren't. But Portis should let his actions not his mouth convince us. CP may not like a lot of people, but they deserve respect if they paid their dues with deeds, not misques like he did the last two years. Forgive and forget. The past is the past, only the future can be changed.

Posted by: raleighnative | February 12, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

If Ive said it once, Ive said it a 1000 times.

If you put Clinton's brain in a bird,, it would fly backwards.

Posted by: dashriprock | February 12, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Good news for the REDKINS organization....
1- Vinney Cerrato...resigns!?
2- Allen/Shannhan hired!
and more(hopefully)good news to come(i;e)
3- Portis gone(however it happens)
4- Cambell gone(to any other team)
5- Haynesworth promises to play to his abilities or he goes
6- Redskins start to play like thier old selves!
These are the headlines, THIS life long Redskins fan is looking foward to.
Oh and 1 more... Redskins go from last to playoffs! Just a slight little hope for now.

Posted by: briannalynn21 | February 14, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Per Jim Rome: "There’s a commotion in the district, yellow tape and a chalked outline of where “Jank Spanky’s” body was in the street. And authorities are looking for one Lavar Arrington. Because what he did to Clinton Portis was criminal! Portis started this street-fight telling the NFL Network, in essence, that Arrington didn’t want to be in Washington back in the day because he was no longer, the biggest, richest, star on the team. “Uh-oh.” One thing to take a run at fullback Mike Sellers and try to get him benched. Or even to call out Q.B. Jason Campbell for not leading from the front. Quite another to take a run at Arrington!

He just swung on the wrong cat. Arrington says it wasn’t about the money. It was about the leadership. Something Portis clearly doesn’t understand. Arrington went on to say, it was about legacy and respecting the game, something else “Southeast Jerome” doesn’t get! That’s not a response. That’s a massacre! That’s verbal murder!

“Dolemite Jenkins”, my man. I’ve always gotten a kick out of you. But Arrington just kicked the hell out of you. The referee didn’t bother to count! He waved it off before you even hit the canvas. Then again, what do you expect? You were fighting way out of your weight class. A welterweight can’t hurt a heavyweight. Nor, can he take a heavyweight’s shot! Tap-out, “Janky Spanky”! You can’t just throw on a purple wig and some fake teeth and go into “Dolla’ Bill” mode to respond to that.

Nor, just roll tape on that “decleater” you dropped on Mathias Kiwanuka. Keep moving “Sherriff Gonna’ Getcha’”, because Lavar’s not playing."

ENOUGH SAID!!!!