Greivis Vasquez's new beard is interesting

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

"Twenty-five in a half?" Greivis Vasquez asked after his outburst Monday night. "I mean, I couldn't believe it myself. It was just a blessing, scoring the way I was scoring."

Meanwhile, I couldn't believe his beard myself. It was just a blessing, cutting it the way he was cutting it. Or whatever. I have no idea how to describe this, other than to say that Jack Sparrow and Errol Flynn would be proud.

You'll recall that Vasquez is no stranger to curious facial hair. "I don't know what the hell that was," James Gist said of those curly-cues, while Boom Osby told me they called Greivis "Mr. GQ."

Does this look qualify as GQ?

(Also, a reader told me that the ESPN360 color analyst referred to Vasquez as a European guy Monday night. The Balt Sun's Kevin Cowherd confirms.)

(Also also, Greivis is now getting under the skin of beat writers for opposing teams. Here's Whitey Reid, writing in the Daily Progress:

It's easy to see why Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez has a reputation for agitating just about everyone except his own home crowd. In Monday night's game against Virginia at the Comcast Center, Vasquez, to the delight of Terrapins fans, unveiled his entire repertoire. There were jigs after made shots, high-fives with former Terrapin star Steve Francis (who was seated courtside) and a plethora of other annoying theatrics.

Never let the agitator know he's annoying you, Whitey. That only makes it worse.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 16, 2010; 3:59 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Verizon Center needs a new banner
Next: RB coach: Portis "definitely has something left"

Comments

"It's easy to see why Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez has a reputation for agitating just about everyone except his own home crowd."

So in other words, the opponents and their fans. OH NOES!

Posted by: harrisongoodman | February 16, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

If it was going to cause that level of point-scoring, "theatrical" shenanigans I really wish he'd gotten creative with the facial hair before the Duke game. ;)

"There were jigs after made shots" wins for best-worst line of the day, so thanks.

Posted by: laurieanne | February 16, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Jeez Steinberg enough with Vasquez. Get over your crush on him!

The only people that are even slightly interested in him either go to or went to Maryland.

He is nothing more than star player on a mediocre team.

Get over it, no one cares about his punk ass.

Posted by: gfsportsfan | February 16, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"Meanwhile, I couldn't believe his beard myself. It was just a blessing, cutting it the way he was cutting it." <- Great line, very witty.

Is it possible that Greivis shaved his beard to be an imitation of the Nationals' logo?

Posted by: DCUMD | February 16, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

To correct Whitey Reid, Greivis did some agitating of the home crowd last season, as well. Let's not sell his agitation repertoire short.

Posted by: mikeinrockville | February 16, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Thats a little sad that a beat writer would write that junk. GV is defintitely the type that opposing teams and their fans hate but seeing a beat writer for Virginia say that means he is losing his objectivity.

Plus, like Steinberg says, GV probably loves seeing that stuff and Reid is just playing into the hands of a 20 year old kid. LOL.

Posted by: lavar609 | February 16, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Is it wrong to laugh at the fact that a beat writer for the blue-blazer-wearingest local university is named Whitey?

Posted by: Chest_Rockwell | February 16, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

@C_Rock: it is not. Enjoy, my friend.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 16, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

When he trims his beard that way it makes his chin look like a scrotum.

Posted by: fushezzi | February 17, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Nah, he's just a really big fan of WuTang is all.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 17, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse