Jeff Schultz takes on Sidney Crosby

If you would have asked me Sunday morning which Caps player would be most likely to end the second period jawing with Sidney Crosby, Jeff Schultz would have been off the board. Not an exaggeration; I almost certainly would have had him behind everyone besides Jose Theodore and Michal Neuvirth. Yes, Schultz would have been behind I-don't-speak-English Alexander Semin. Yes, he would have been behind Brett Leonhardt.

I mean, I'm not joking. Approximately, I'd have guessed Tom Poti, Brooks Laich, Shaone Morrisonn, Alex Ovechkin, Matt Bradley, David Steckel, Jason Chimera, Mike Knuble, Eric Fehr, Brian Pothier, Mike Green, Brendan Morrison, Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin, Boyd Gordon, Tyler Sloan, Tomas Fleischmann, Jeff Schultz, off the top of my head.

But lo and behold, there it is. And not only did the two jaw a little bit; Crosby turned his head as he skated off, as if to say "Yeah, that's right, you got under my skin, and what of it?" An amazing moment in the progression of Jeff Schultz, officials having to stand in between him and one of the game's marquee stars. Hope he can come up with a quote on Tuesday that does justice to these images.

Speaking of images, I gathered up a few more favorites from Sunday's showdown. No, I didn't make it, although I did fall down in the snow multiple times while attempting to go to the corner restaurant. And no, NBC didn't really do a great job of capturing the fan element. But this is the best I can do.

In the same way I'd love to know what Schultz and Crosby were saying to each other, I'm just dying to know what was going on between Jordan Staal and these fans in the front row. At first I thought Staal was gesturing with his hand, in the universal sign for "Sorry, can't hear you, scoreboard buddy." Someone else suggested maybe he was displaying his ring. Either way, the gesture appears to have emerged a bit too soon.

Also, what is this man gesturing back? I mean, I could guess, but this is a family blog, and for the love of Laich, his young innocent son is sitting right there next to him. Surely he's not saying that, is he? And ok, maybe it's not his kid, but still.

Then there was this. You remember the slashing call on Jeff Schultz late in the third period? It was the only penalty handed out in that entire session. This image is crud, but you can see Schultz's stick, and you can see Matt Cooke's breaking timber, and the two are pretty obviously not related. Minor footnote now, but if the Caps had lost late in regulation, some fans might have lit themselves on fire.

Oh, and did you watch the end of Meet The Press? Granted, it's an NBC property, but still, this was David Gregory:

"Before we go, It is, of course, Super Sunday, and we all know what that means," Gregory said. "Sid the Kid vs. Alex the Great," came the fakeout. "The Washington Capitals take on the Stanley Cup champions, the Pittsburgh Penguins. It's the NHL on NBC at 12 noon, and yes, I'm so excited, because I will be there."

And he was. Famous fans are fine by me.

While Gregory was joking about the Super Bowl, Alex Ovechkin made his way into at least one ad, though it was only shown in the local market. The subject was sort of irrelevant; if you need a local sports star to add cachet nowadays, there's basically only one choice.

Another Super Bowl mention. This one entirely appropriate. I felt like my sports emotions had already been spent by about 3:30 on Sunday. Image by Cheryl Nichols; see more at Caps News Network.

And if you were curious what the mound of hats looks like after it forms on the ice, here's one example. That's a lot of hats, and it pretty definitely wasn't all of 'em. Image courtesy of Tim from McLean.

And two new t-shirts made their weekend debuts. The first was a well-timed addition; free wings yet again for Caps fans. Buy this at Russian Machine Never Breaks.

And the other honors the recent Snowvechkin. Can't remember where I saw this image; somebody help me out.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 8, 2010; 5:52 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: George McPhee takes Metro to Caps-Pens
Next: Clinton Portis riles up LaVar Arrington

Comments

Bravo to the fan gesturing that Staal has a shorty in his pants. Absolutely hilarious, and even though I saw that interaction, THAT was something I missed on TV.

Posted by: RickyBobby | February 8, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

"Famous fans area fine by me."

Should that be "are fine by me?"

Posted by: sitruc | February 8, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse

Caps fans says:

Sidney Crosby, I squish your head.

Posted by: doclinkin | February 8, 2010 7:27 AM | Report abuse

NBC JUST SIMPLY SUCKS WHEN IT COMES TO COVERING THE FANS . NBC SUCKS BECAUSE 75% OF THE GAME TIME THEY ALL TALK ABOUT CRAPSBURG . WASHINGTON HAS NEVER RECEIVED THE DUE RESPECT THEY DESERVE . SOMEONE IS ALWAYS CHATTING IT UP ABOUT THE OTHER TEAM . JOE B DOES THE SAME THING ON COMCAST WE HAS AND LOCKER ARE DOING A GAME . I COULD ( AND I:M SURE MOST OF YOU GUYS TOO !) COULD GAVE A RATS FLYING BUTT ABOUT THE OTHER TIMES PLAYERS WHO GIVES A CRAP ? I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THAT THEY NEED SOME FILL-IN FLUFF DURING THE GAMES BUT COME ON JOE B . NBC SUCKS BECAUSE AS SOON AS THE GAME WAS OVER INSTEAD OF THE AFTER GAME COACH'S POST GAME THOUGHTS THEY WENT TO A FREAKING GOLF GAME WHO CARES EXCEPT ALL THE OLD MEN OVER 70 WHO GOT TO SEE DALEY AND GUESS IF HE IS DRUNK ?

NBC SUCKS AND I HOPE THEY DO NOT HAVE THE COVERAGE OF THE STANLEY CUP . I LIKE FOX OR CBS BUT NOT NBC A BUNCH OF LIBERAL RATS

I ALSO LOVE OV WHEN SOMEONE HITS HIM ALITTLE DIRTY LIKE ADAMS ***RIDIEN DIRTY***
ALSO LIKE IT WHEN SLOAN TOLD CROSBY THAT HE DID HIS MOM & SISTER AT THAT SAME TIME THIS MORNING...LOL

Posted by: terryreece | February 8, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

DID YOU KNOW THAT WHEN YOU HIT THE CAPSLOCK KEY ON THE LEFT SIDE OF YOUR KEYBOARD, IT MAKES THE SHIFT KEYS START TO WORK, SO YOU CAN USE UPPER *AND* LOWER CASE LETTERS?

Posted by: wahoo2x | February 8, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree that after the energy and excitement of a playoff-intensity overtime game, switching immediately to GOLF was a terrible transition. They didn't even stay with the game for the additional minute it would take to report who the three Stars were! Terrible disrespect for the viewers.

Posted by: LeopardSeal | February 8, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

That guy sitting next to the little kid kinda looks like Chris Clark, lol.

Posted by: kinokonoko | February 8, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Jawing with the Chosen One explains why Shultz got that phantom slashing in the 3rd. You don't do that and get away with it, Cindy was probably crying to the refs immediately after that incident. Ask John Carlson, it happened to him in the last Pens game.

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 8, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Whoever said that the transition on NBC was like watching a chamber concert after 9 hours of a Metallica concert was correct.

Posted by: kittypawz | February 8, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

My fav tshirt:

A couple of cute girls running around in T-shirts that said" I am too cute to be a penguins fan.

Posted by: Natstural | February 8, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe Crosby was upset at the way he was being treated during the game? - http://is.gd/7WMFy

Image from the great WaPo photog John McDonnell.

Posted by: LeeHinAlexandria | February 8, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure that Caps fan was crushing Jordan Staal's head.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | February 8, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

That black hat on top with the old dome logo looks a lot like one of the six hats I tossed to the ice...

Oh, and too bad you missed the game Dan, I think it was a requirement for every Yinzer going to the game yesterday to have a sign that said "Not/Never Beating Crosby".

Posted by: CapsNut | February 8, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if NBC paid for both David Gregory's seat AND his "NHL on NBC" hat.

Posted by: TheStein71 | February 8, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

As a referee it's a little embarrassing when a penalty happens right in front of your face (Schultz slash 3rd period) and you miss it only for it to be called by the other official at all the way out at center ice and on the other side of the ice. Man that corner official should be fired! Or wait maybe the official at center ice should let him do his job! My guess is the corner official had some choice words for the center ice official after the game.....I would have......

Posted by: us11231 | February 8, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I see my hat WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | February 8, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget the fan sign held behind the glass that was shown at the end:

Nobody