Jim Zorn discusses Daniel Snyder, again

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

For the rest of his natural life, Jim Zorn will face reporters who would like to bait him into crushing Daniel Snyder. For the rest of my natural life, I'll be curious to see if he ever succeeds. Thus far, he's kept plodding along on the ambiguously vague high road, but reporters have yet to be dissuaded.

I thought his recent appearance with Dave "Softy" Mahler on Seattle's KJR had some promise, since the two men have known each other for ages, and since there's sometimes a sense that the rest of the world isn't listening to Seattle talk radio. But nope, Zorn kept it clean.

"Well, he's very passionate about winning and he's very passionate about the Redskins," Zorn said, when asked what it was like working for Snyder. "I would say, much like all the other owners in the National Football League. He serves, I think, a great purpose in the D.C. area to try to continue to revive Redskin football. And he wants to win in the worst way, and I would limit my conversation to that and just tell you that really is the truth."

"Did he get in the way too much, though, at times?" Mahler asked, refusing to give up that easily.

"Well, I'm gone from there," Zorn said, via Sports Radio Interviews. "I don't want to be gone from there, so that was my sour note for myself, but I'm not going to cry over that. I'm going to move on, and truly I'm a better coach for all the things that happened there. Some of the things were out of my control; I tried to control the things I could control. And I tried to do the best job that I could, regardless of the circumstances that were in front of me."

I'm not convinced the answer matches up perfectly to the question in this case. In the sense that the question was sort of a yes or no deal, and the answer was the equivalent of "red 54 zucchini." In any case, the next answer was actually more interesting; Mahler asked Zorn if he was hurt by jumping from position coach to head coach without stopping at offensive coordinator, and Zorn said heck to the no.

"No, I was not overwhelmed," Zorn said. "I just really felt like we had all the elements. I learned from a pretty good guy in Mike Holmgren, and whenever I would feel like I had a major issue that I wanted to really consider and think about...I'd just say, 'Well, how did we do it in Seattle?'...I mean, I just didn't get the job handed to me in D.C. either. I interviewed for it, and I proved to Dan and Vinny that I was fully capable of handling the entire program, which I did, and I had to."

Which brings me back to Zorn's first comment during the segment, concerning his overall experience with the Skins.

"I couldn't have had a better experience," he said. "Well, I guess I could have had we won and I've still got my job. But I really learned a lot, I worked with some great men, some great people in the building, and we accomplished a lot. But in this league, you've got to accomplish a lot, coupled with wins. We just went at it. We tried to go at it in a real mature fashion, and at the end, we only won four games, and that wasn't enough, and so we got moved on. But I think we kind of put together a little bit of a foundation there, and hopefully Mike Shanahan...will be able to make it happen this year for those guys. There's a tremendous amount of outstanding people that work in that building and for that program."

Before talking about the Ravens, Zorn was also asked whether he wants to be a head coach in the NFL again.

"Oh, absolutely," he said. "No question about it."

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 19, 2010; 11:46 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: N.C. State fans chant "U.S.A." at Vasquez
Next: Crosby scores game-winner, Ovechkin doesn't

Comments

Last time I checked, Little Danny Snotrag is still paying a substantial part of Zoron the Moron's salary for 2010. Even a consumate loser like Coach Zen knows better than to bite the hand that feeds him. A more honest answer may come next year... or beyond.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 19, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"But I think we kind of put together a little bit of a foundation there..."

Um, no. Not necessarily his fault (see Cerrato, Vinny), but no.

Posted by: kjhealey | February 19, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

It makes me happy that I never have to hear a nonsensical wandering Zorn quote knowing he is in direct control of my football team ever again.

Posted by: nford2 | February 19, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, the wonderfully ethical life of journalism.

Posted by: richs91 | February 19, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Let's see what happens with Joe Flacco in Baltimore.

Zorn was way over his head here.

Posted by: oknow1 | February 19, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Vic1 | February 19, 2010 11:59 AM

Very mature Vic1. A little advice before you hit the submit button next time, read your ignorant rant before sending.

Posted by: Mark_Edwin | February 19, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

He wasn't ready to be head coach, but he was, and always will be a likable, classy guy. Good luck, Jim Zorn.

Posted by: dhenken1 | February 19, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Reporters need to start asking him about Vinny and not Danny. I think we might get some honest answers from Zorny on VC

Posted by: jpfterps | February 19, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Zorn is about to lay a massive head but on Danny boy... Either that or gravity was having an off day.

Posted by: kdjsgreen | February 19, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Folks, get off Jim Zorn's case. He is the classiest guy at his level in the NFL. He also is a better coach than he ever will be given credit for. He was not my first choice to succeed Gibbs. But he did a better job than most people ever will acknowledge. I wish him only the best.

Posted by: royhobbs56 | February 19, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy was such a sweet boy but you had to constantly remind him to do the little things. Zip his fly, tie his shoes. I'll tell you he and George got along great though. They would just spend hours in the woods together, riding their bikes and reciting their favorite movie quotes from Ishtar.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 19, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Pharmacy: "Paging Vic1, paging Vic1. Your medications are ready."

Posted by: Rand-al-Thor | February 19, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Please, enough with the Zorn ball waxing already. It's once again reaching knee-slapping tearful comedy the way some of your hearts bleed for this clueless a**hole.

Yeah, he's so classy that he called out one of his players in the media and suggested that their injury wasn't as serious as it was.

Funny how people like to conveniently forget that and single handily point the blame at Portis for the bad relationship between him and Zorn. Then again, it's also Clinton Portis' fault that all this damn snow is still heavy in parts of D.C.

Not to mention his inept playcalling and his inability to inspire and lead men the way a head coach needs to. If Zorn was so great, please give an example when you can say that his playcalling or his aura inspired the players to play well? I'd go so far as to say that it had the direct opposite affect. You can name a ton of games when his playcalling at certain parts of the game was the main reason for a loss. Or due to his suck ass playcalling had a ripple effect and snuffed the life out of the entire team and those watching at the stadium (@ home) and watching on TV.

F Jim Zorn. Good Riddance, the DMV will not miss him.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

F Jim Zorn. Good Riddance, the DMV will not miss him.

Posted by: RedDMV | February 19, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

The M wont miss him he is still there.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 19, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping Zorny goes up 95 and is right on time helping Flacco become a top shelf NFL QB. If he can do that the Ravens should be a consistent winning team with a chance to reach the superbowl annually. Nothing will bug the Danny more and it will be so close to DC that Danny, leprachaun and the Zorn Haters will be able to still hear the weekly Hip Hip Hurray's coming from M&T!

Anyone want to bet that over the next three years Zorn will be part of more wins than shanny will? I didn't think so.

Posted by: jdb70 | February 19, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Apologies for my apparent immaturity. Did not mean to imply that Snotrag or Zoron are pfuktards, especially since certain other pfuktards might take it as a personal insult.

Regardless, once Zoron is finished pfuking up Flacco's chances of ever taking it to the next level, perhaps he might call up his former protégé (JC17) and invite him to fumble and bumble into Ravenstown.

Posted by: Vic1 | February 19, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Credit the guy for showing class -- we all know that the little owner was totally interferring with his job as a coach. Now he's in a much better run organization -- with a first class owner and GM. Just wait until Shanahan starts to lose -- it'll be the same story all over again.

Posted by: dbunkr | February 19, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Zorn was not all vague -- he indicated Snyder "wants to win in the worst way." That pretty much sums it up. So much of what Snyder does is done in the worst way.

Posted by: jadler3 | February 19, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

He never did get to punt on first down - NO ONE would have expected that.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | February 20, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure Zorn learned a lot and I hope to see him land a new job taking his team to the Championship.

Greg Calloway

Posted by: gregcalloway703 | February 20, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

Read between the lines people:

Zorn said that VC made things difficult... and that he bent him over a barrel. The set up was dysfunctional. That was Danny's fault for letting vc hold sway for so long.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | February 21, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

I pop in every once in a while to get a laugh. It amazes me how many Zorn-haters are on here.

You people need to get a clue - it wasn't Zorn - think Cerrato and Snyder!!

No offensive line = no offense.

2010 prediction >> no offensive line = no offense >>> 6-10 at best.

Posted by: SkinsFan2111 | February 23, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

cerrato and snyder snatched away any amount of respect his team had left.It started when beltbuckle and cerrat-d'oh questioned Campbells ability, and Zorn did not defend his man. the more zorn got clowned by the brass, the further away the team went

Posted by: nflorida1 | February 24, 2010 7:28 AM | Report abuse

For those who thought Zorn wasn't a problem, I only have to say, "Swinging Gate Play".

Posted by: RedSkinHead | February 24, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Zorn, like Norv Turner before him (and Gibbs for that matter) always take the high road. That's why people like them and they always get re-hired by new people.

A lesson that can be learned in life.

Posted by: dc1020008 | February 24, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

No disrespect Dan, but was their a point to this article? He said nothing. I like the way you are sitting there flipping over rocks but really. Were you rushing to make a deadline after slacking all day?

Posted by: robjway1 | February 24, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

BrooklynSkins -- best Zorn comment ever.

Posted by: bob76 | February 25, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

kie kie kie kie Leave JZ alone, he is now in Baltimore, and we know he is coming back to kick our butts in pre-season. Kie kie kie kie

Posted by: muktech | February 26, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse