Kornheiser, Vecsey still obsessed with Wise

This was something I meant to write last week, but the snow scrambled my brain. You could argue that it's all so out-of-date that I shouldn't even bother, but I figure if Peter Vescey and Tony Kornheiser want the world to know they remain obsessed with Mike Wise, who am I to get in their way?

First Vecsey. The New York Post wordsmith has found himself incapable of writing about Gilbert Arenas without referring to a certain Washington Post columnist, because we all know that New York Post readers care about nothing so much as they do Mike Wise.

"Here's the thing about Gilbert Arenas' Washington Post op-ed mea culpa....there's no 'mea' in it," Vecsey scribbled last week. "Unlike his weapons, his fingerprints were nowhere near this tripe. I would wager my last bit of AIG bonus money that Arenas' take on Le Cage aux Firearms was crafted by any number of people on his payroll....oily attorney, slimier Wa-Po columnist. Hell, President TelePrompter ad libs more."

I agree that it was tripe. I'd tend to disagree that Mike Wise is on Gilbert's payroll, or that he's slimy. Also, if Vecsey has proof that Wise actually wrote something that appeared in print under Gilbert's name, I'd be mighty interested. Maybe Kendrick "Bookie Ball" Long told him 'twas so.

Then Kornheiser. I realize he refers to Wise on a weekly basis, but I thought this little bit of dialog with Mike Wilbon concerning the Obama handshakes was particularly nice.

"He doesn't make it easy just by disappearing. He engages people," Wilbon said, discussing his Obama handshake.

"I'm sure that poseur sportswriters tried to get up to him also," Kornheiser interjected.

"You know, I'm not going there," Wilbon said, because he has class.

So there ya have it. Couple of New York sportswriters who can't keep Wise's name out of their mouths. Seriously, these fellas talk more about Mike Wise than I do about Clinton Portis. Maybe we should all enter therapy together.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 12, 2010; 11:34 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Lindsay Czarniak rocks the red
Next: Bruce Boudreau discusses his acting career

Comments

um Daaaaaaaaan, nobody even SAID his name! So his name isn't in their mouths as you say. Sounds like SOMMMMMEBODY has a guilty conscience.

Posted by: dupa3 | February 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dupa3 | February 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Kornheiser has a lot of nerve for a guy who begged ESPN to let him say he "quit MNF because he hated to fly" when they really fired him for being terrible on-air and arrogant as can be off it. Worst kept secret in Bristol.

Posted by: MylesMonroe | February 12, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Hey everybody, it's me Dan Steinberg - just wanted to show all of you how snarky I am.
Snarky is the cool thing to do and pretty much all I can do, so...that's good.

/snarky

Posted by: popopo | February 12, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Wise seems to have a unique ability to irritate people, doesn't he? By the way, where was Wilbon's "class" when he wrongly suggested that Sean Taylor's background was the reason he was murdered?

Posted by: poguesmahone | February 12, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I have it on good authority that Wise is not slimy but that he may in fact be over 60% liquid.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 12, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@popopo: More than a little ironic, a snarky comment about snark, dontcha think?

Do have to wonder why these guys have it out for Wise...

Posted by: fourteenth_and_otis | February 12, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I've listened to Kornheiser on the radio for about 15 years and I've stopped because of this Wise/Gilbert nonsense. He's clearly jealous that Wise is still a real columnist and upset because Wise b*tch-slapped him with the 'you're Snyder's lackey and mouthpiece' insinuations a couple months ago.

I'm not a huge Wise fan and I don't listen to his show, but Kornheiser is unbearable on local sports issues now. The real winner in all this is Dan Patrick's podcast.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 12, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fourteenth_and_otis | February 12, 2010 12:39 PM |

Not ironic fourteenth and otis if you happen to see the

/snark

Posted by: popopo | February 12, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm already sick of the continuation of these petty mini-feuds, do you also have to keep covering it like it's news? If we all agree to keep in mind that Vescey and Kornheiser don't like Wise and make thinly-veiled references to that fact, will you drop it?

Posted by: mrlogical | February 12, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm with mrlogical.

Seriously, and right when TK had been getting close to burying the naked mole rat hatchet. He seemed pretty impressed with Cheese's impression of Gilbert post-firearm stunt. We all know Kornheiser's a pit bull when he's on his high horse (to mix metaphors into compositional reese's), but at least he's got a good sense of humor about the predilection.

Posted by: WorstSeat | February 12, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Wait, there’s a new development! Mr. Tony went all snarky on Vecsey this morning for writing a critical piece on Binghamton U’s (Mr. Tony’s alma mater) men’s basketball program. So, if the enemy of my enemy is my friend, where do we stand now? God, I love media feuds!

Posted by: cbang123 | February 12, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg's done better work than this. The key is to let your contempt for Kornheiser and Vecsey be understated. You still have to present a veneer of journalistic "reporting." That's why you're getting the snarky criticism, which in this instance isn't totally wrong.

That said, Kornheiser sucks. Vecsey is useless. Wise isn't as good as he thinks he is. Steinberg is probably better than all of them, but took his eye off the prize this time.

Posted by: DCUnited2 | February 13, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Wilbon and Tony K are both tools. Time has passed them by. GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: caps1974 | February 13, 2010 4:35 AM | Report abuse