Mark Brunell and Chase Daniel make it big

I mean, of all the NFL players in the world, look at who made it to the front page of NYTimes.com on Tuesday. Simply incredible. All that was missing was the glamor shot of Leigh Torrence.

Other stuff that happened:

* Obviously you already know about this, but the Send Mark Zuckerman to Viera campaign was a huge success. Congrats to Mark, and to the many Internet types who helped make this happen. Chico has more.

* Now the National Review is blogging about Redskins rap videos from the '80s. With help from The Gormogons.

* And from there, straight to the Wang jokes! MASN goes with "A Wang Worth the Wait" as its headline. Nats.com chooses "Nationals 'aggressively pursuing' Wang." And Nationals Enquirer says "the Nats have made just one upgrade for the 2010 starting rotation: Jason Marquis," which is why "the Nationals are looking to pay for Wang." Can't wait to hear Tony Plush's take on this one.

* Some guy walked four miles through the snow, then paid $74 and rode 19 miles in a cab to get to Sunday's Caps game. That's...well, why not. Read his story at CapsBlog.

* An important thing to remember: if the Caps tie the Penguins' all-time win streak mark going into the Olympic break, they'll have also tied the 1912 Washington Senators for the longest win streak in D.C. pro sports history. That'd be 17 games. Nationals Pride has more.

* The Great Dave McKenna makes a slight correction re: LaVar's rant: he said his concussed interception against Carolina sparked eight straight wins, when really it was five straight.

* McKenna also has a must-read column about Diageo's relationship with the Redskins.

* Bill Romanowski to John Keim: "Mark my words when I say the Super Bowl is coming back to Washington," he said. "Trust me. And it won't take long." Duly marked.

* In case you missed this buried in my Caps ratings post, via Jim Williams:

Locally Washington had the second highest [Super Bowl] rrating by city losing only to New Orleans. DC had a stunning 56.0/ 73 share making it a record for a non Redskins Super Bowl.

Just a stunning number. Thank you, snowvechkin.

* Mason draws nearly 2,100 students to the VCU game, which is a school record. Congrats, but doesn't that seem awfully low for a school record?

* A JMU guard was arrested for throwing snowballs at a police car. There's a 14th and U joke in there, but I can't find it. Mister Irrelevant pointed me to JMU Sports Blog's coverage.

* Speaking of, Mister Irrelevant has a fab post about the Caps and the bandwagon. Verdict: go ahead, jump right on board.

* USA-Canada hockey gets pushed off NBC (and HD) in favor of ice dancing. (Via @cmasisak22)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 9, 2010; 11:34 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , College Basketball , Media , Nats , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps-Pens draws playoff-type rating on NBC
Next: What that fan was gesturing to Jordan Staal

Comments

Aw duuude, how could you miss this?!? :-)

Posted by: Juan-John | February 10, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

i wonder what my boyfriend barno will say about this.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 10, 2010 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Props to CapsBlog for the trek.

Steinz, didn't you not make it to the Caps game because of the snow?

Posted by: gfsportsfan | February 10, 2010 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I hate NBC.

Posted by: sitruc | February 10, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Dan, it would be interesting to read your thoughts on the Zuckerman fundraiser and what it may say about Nationals coverage.

As far as readers know, the Post has no dedicted, sustained presence planned for Spring Training.

And now Nats fans have put a dollar amount on the worth of in-depth coverage by funding Zuckerman's trip to Viera. So there's literally a market for this kind of reporting. Fans have indicated a willingness to pay $20, $40, or $60, depending on the level of coverage they want.

(For the record, I wanted $60 worth of insider information, but could only afford $20.)

I don't want to allege that there's a cause/effect relationship between these two points, but it's an interesting juxtaposition. Nats fans are willing to pay for coverage that the Post appears to be unable or unwilling to provide.

I haven't been vociferous in my allegations that the Post's Nats coverage is lacking, and I've generally agreed with your assertion that greater demand in Nats news will yield increased coverage, not vice versa. But you seem to enjoy these kinds of conversations, and I generally enjoy reading your thoughts on the subject.

What does Project Zuckerman - and everything that comes with it, including the demise of the sports desk at the Times - mean for Nationals coverage in the Washington Post?

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 10, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I meant to say that I "genuinely" enjoy reading your thoughts on the subject, rather than "generally."

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 10, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Kinda hard to feel sad for someone who lives in Great Falls having to pay $74 for a cab ride. Thought it might have been Gil at first, but he may not be allowed back in Verizon even with a ticket.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | February 10, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

@JohninMpls

First off, appreciate you hanging around these parts, even for non-Nats coverage. That's good news.

As for your post, I'm positive The Post will have every bit the Spring Training coverage it's had in the past, with visits from columnists and a constant presence from a beat writer. Of course, it may be Chico and then a new guy, or a new guy (or gal) entirely, and there's an institutional knowledge issue there, but Boz will help make up for that. People change beats in this industry; that doesn't mean The Post has changed its prior commitment to cover this team.

And as you can see with our Caps coverage, we will dump bodies onto a team once they start winning.

As for Zuckerman, I don't know. Remember, he's raised money to pay for his expenses, but not a salary on top of that. Not sure how many pros are willing to work for free. And the flights/rental cars are one of the most expensive parts of this gig (he's driving to FLA), so doing a full season of real beat coverage with travel would be a massively more expensive undertaking.

I hope this turns into a real gig for Mark, either on his site or by forcing someone else (CSN, ESPN?) to hire him, and I think there are markets where you could more easily pull this off, but I still think a real, full-time beat life requires major institutional support.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | February 10, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for taking the time, Dan.

I agree that it's not a sustainable approach from a reimbursement perspective. And I certainly wouldn't argue that fans can support sustained coverage using this kind of grassroots approach. It's innovative, and I'm glad it's been successful in getting Mark out to Viera, but it's not a model for ongoing coverage.

But it is intriguing that fans have been willing to pay (including David Gregory!). So far, we've measured interest in Nats coverage in clicks and ratings. To be able to quantify it in dollars and cents paints a somewhat different landscape.

I still, like you, maintain that the coverage follows the interest. But maybe that interest wasn't properly guaged?

Or maybe the other folks did have it right.

I don't know. It's obviously too early to tell. But this time next year, it will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 10, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

It's good to see brunnell reach the top, and Chase Daniel too.

Please check out my blog at www.thedcsportsscene.blogspot.com

Posted by: Dlewis10 | February 11, 2010 10:47 PM | Report abuse