Ovechkin smashes goal cam

There were plenty of unforgettable moments from Sunday's matinee masterpiece between the Penguins and the Caps. Many of them involved players other than Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby; Eric Fehr's handiwork comes to mind. But Ovechkin and Crosby accounted for five of the nine goals scored, so we're allowed to obsess over the rivalry one more time.

And Ovechkin again showed his undeniable knack for putting insane flourishes onto his goals. Three days after recording that one-hander against the Rangers, Ovechkin put the Caps on the board Sunday afternoon with a breakaway tally, a shot that "just explodes the goal cam," as Pierre McGuire put it during NBC's broadcast.

The goal cam wound up being fine. And, an hour or so later, Ovechkin was the recipient of his first round of hats of the season.

"I mean, to come in here and say listen, 'Hey Ovi, I'm still your daddy right now?' " Mike Milbury had mused of Crosby during the first intermission. "Pretty special in the first period."

Yes, I'm going to use that quote about 17 more times this week.

(Memory jogged by D.C. Pro Sports Report.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 7, 2010; 4:36 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scottie Reynolds Metros to Verizon Center
Next: George McPhee takes Metro to Caps-Pens

Comments

If, according to Milbury, Sid is Ovie's daddy right now, that must make Ovie his own grandfather, because he sure finished the game Sid's daddy.

Posted by: jcleggette | February 7, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

In Russia... blah blah blah.

That was a great comeback.

Posted by: sitruc | February 7, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

milbury, a caps hater, sucks.

Posted by: theCamMike | February 7, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Can we sic Alan May on Mike Milbury?

Posted by: greggwiggins | February 7, 2010 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Milbury's a tool shed and always has been. Last year he called the team the "crapitals", on-air, which was so clever, professional, and accurate I don't know which to list first.
hey Mike, your Daddy's got a Russian accent!

Posted by: redlineblue | February 7, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Dan, if you really wanted Milbury to call you names then you should have asked him about his experience running a once-proud Islanders franchise into the ground.

Posted by: HeShootsHeScores | February 7, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

HSHS: are you saying that Milbury--nobody's HOF candidate as a Player-- was...was WAY better at that than at anything he's done since? That he's proven himself a shortsighted, small-minded, low, low, low-unibrowed schmuck behind a hockey desk AND a hockey microphone?
Just checking.

Posted by: redlineblue | February 7, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Great Game! Would have to start caring at all in order to care less about Milbury's opinions.

Want to give a shout out to the Pens fans in Section 410 and @ the Acela club for being really classy from their first goal to the Caps OT Victory.

There's a lot of hard feelings between the two teams and the 'guins fans in my section were the best away fans of the season. Of course it's easy to be appreciative when the Caps win, but I figured acknowledging good behavior is never a bad move.

Posted by: Kdarienzo | February 7, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Not sure which was worst -- the officiating or the broadcast team.

Posted by: ljo211 | February 7, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Not sure which was worst -- the officiating or the broadcast team.

Posted by: ljo211 | February 7, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

too close to call so it goes to a tie.

Posted by: mrszilla | February 8, 2010 6:05 AM | Report abuse

Marbury and Pierre are great for Steve Kolbe's ratings.
At least they don't do that embarrassing "You're the coach; what are you telling your team during intermission?"

Posted by: beeman | February 8, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

@Kdarienzo

Nice to hear...I checked out 2 Pitt game blogs, and was sooo impressed with one...of course the other was just anti-OV and Caps ranting...but it was nice to read constructive and acurate comments.

Posted by: capscoach | February 8, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Milbury blows...

The game was awesome and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and was an emotional roller-coaster. I just wish we had Joe B. and Locker broadcasting.

(Wishing for good refs is a waste.. the brighter the spotlight on the game, the more they have to mettle.)

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | February 8, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Milbury blows...

I wished aloud so many times for Joe B. and Locker, that my family wanted to make a drinking game out of it.

Posted by: ljo211 | February 8, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Milbury is a tool...period!

Posted by: JCB9 | February 8, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Milbury just flat out sucks!!

Posted by: cfrazier91 | February 8, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

The only NBC commentator dumber than McGuire is Milbury. Does NBC not care that they are a laughingstock? (Dumb, question, they don't care about hockey, period.)

Posted by: farmgirl19C | February 8, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

OvechkinFiresHeSCOOOOORRRRES!!!!!

...AND BREAKS THE GOAL-CAM! XD

Alex Ovechkin = Our own real-life Fulton Reed....LMAO

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 8, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

NBC is a joke from top to bottom. I wish there was a way to get CBC olympics coverage. I can't take any man named Pierre seriously. And Milbury is folling NOBODY with that silly toupee of his.

Posted by: gregmcdonald17 | February 8, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

====================================
I wonder how long did it take Milbury to think that one up during his "Man-Love" dreams of Crosby the night before. I can just imagine (No I can't but I will type it anyway!) Milbury in bed shouting "Who is your daddy? Who is your daddy?" with a picture of Crosby taped to his hotel ceiling. BTW, Milbury and Crosby, who is your daddy now?

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 8, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse