Potomac Nats already marketing Strasburg

If you haven't read Dave Sheinin's profile of Stephen Strasburg's arrival in Viera--and a lot of people have--you should go check it out. No one at The Post writes better than that guy, and there are plenty of interesting details.

One comes nearly the end of the story, and concerns the amount of Strasburg marketing we'll see from the Nats this season.

In the meantime, there will be almost zero marketing of him in Washington. His image, with no voice-over, will appear fleetingly near the end of a MASN commercial -- but no billboards, no print ads, no media guide cover.

"We're in business of marketing whatever assets we have," Nationals President Stan Kasten said. "But one thing we have to balance is overexposure -- not in terms of our marketing, but in terms of impeding his progress."

Considering how badly the team needs buzz, this seems like remarkable and admirable self-restraint. I mean, they started selling Chien-Ming Wang jerseys before he had even signed with the franchise, and they're still not hawking any Strasburg shirts.

The Potomac Nationals, though, are maybe not taking the same approach. See here.

"With the $15-Million Plan, fans could see the 21-year-old with the 100-mile-per-hour fastball make as many as five starts for as little as $40." No pressure or anything, kid.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 17, 2010; 11:07 AM ET
Categories:  Minor League Baseball , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Milbury and Roenick fight over Ovechkin
Next: Grunfeld: "The Pollins are running this team"

Comments

Too bad to go see him you would have to go out to Potomac, the suburbs are so 1950, get with the times.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 17, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

alex, have you ever been to a game at the Pfitz? I know it's in the burbs, but it's terrific... nice setting, tall trees behind the outfield, super cheap. It's a fun night out. You oughta give it a try sometime.

While we're on the subject, Frederick's really nice, too.

Again, just a suggestion that a trip to the daunting suburban hellscape can be rewarding.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 17, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Nate
Its a matter of principle with me. No matter how nice these places may seem I just loath them, I'm a extremist, either put me in a megalopolis or far out in the deep woods, with an exception for the "Small towns". But no man could naturally survive in a suburban setting they are against nature.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 17, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Potomac - Woodbridge (where the PNats actually play), same place really. (Well, except they're 37 miles apart in distance and 850 miles apart it atmosphere.) Good things facts don't matter on the intertubes.

Posted by: phishisgr8 | February 17, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

It's outside of Metro range, so it may as well be in Pennsylvania in terms of convenience for me. One could apparently take two buses to get there before the game, but no way to get back to Metro afterwards.

Now, I'll rent a car or whatever for one game, but for five? Wish there was a way to guarantee a good ticket without buying the package, but it looks like they just want a bunch of people to buy tickets to games they'll never attend. I wonder if $60 will be cheaper than what the scalpers will charge day of game? Will there even be scalpers at the game? I don't see the PNats listed on StubHub.

Posted by: cassander | February 17, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like a little stroll down I-95 during rush hour. They better line him up for weekend games.

Posted by: richs91 | February 17, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

alex, I'm not advocating for life in the suburbs... I bailed on miserable NoVA in favor of living in a city where we could afford a house in a close-in neighborhood, close to mass transit, etc.

My point was that making an excursion once in a while can be rewarding. Just this past weekend we drove to one of Portland's suburbs and visited an awesome nature park and then had Five Guys at their one Portland-area location. It's an okay place to visit on occasion, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 17, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

As an 11 year resident of Prince William County, I'd be more than happy if Alex would stay away from our little suburban hellhole.

Posted by: ramgut | February 17, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I wish the P Nats played in Potomac, that'd be easy for me to get to from Rockville. I'd go all the time.

Posted by: Kev29 | February 17, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The other point I was trying to make, alex, is about the joys of minor league baseball. Relative to the big leagues, it's a lot of fun to go see a minor league game... there's something more human about the scale of the thing.

And I say this as someone who's not the world's biggest baseball fan, by any means. Smaller ballparks, young players trying to make their way in the game, cheap concessions, families with kids, all that great stuff. Minor league ball is awesome.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 17, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

ramgut, don't mind alex, he's a bit of a loose cannon, but that's why we love him. (I thought about stretching that to a Cannons joke, but I just couldn't make it happen.)

Anyway, I'm the one who used the term 'hellscape' to describe the suburban ethos. And I stand by that opinion, as someone whose family has lived in Prince William County for twenty years and who lived in bleak eastern Loudoun County for six years. But by the same token, I've attempted to explain that there can be benefits for *visiting the suburbs, which I assume includes interacting with members of the Welcome Wagon such as yourself.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 17, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, it's easier and faster to get to Bowie from Arlington than to Pfitzner from Arlington. Parking's free, and the environment is way better too. And the traffic is a BREEZE by comparison, even on weeknights.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: Section406 | February 17, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Alex,

Good news don't worry about getting home after a Cannons game. I made special arrangements for you with the PWCPD and the VA State Police.

They already have your pixs and your PID data.

You don't mind sharing a room with some really nice men and preops do you?

I am sure your room will met your needs after being tazed and the full body cavity search.

And the bologna sandwiches are the best in VA.

Posted by: vaherder | February 17, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

The link is gone from the front page of the PNats website. I wonder if the Nats asked them to take it down? Oddly, the link still works and the ticket plan page is still up.

Posted by: cassander | February 17, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

He will be a good pitcher for us but people expecting a CyYoung his first year will be in for a disappointment

He still needs a 2nd fastball with better movement along with a sharper changeup

Posted by: Bious | February 17, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse