Racing Presidents take New York

(Photos courtesy of Washington Nationals.)

Since my editor publicly mocked me for missing out on posting photos of the Racing Presidents at Caps practice, let me hereby make it up by posting a great glut of Racing Presidents images.

Starting with the above dandy, from Times Square. I know there are people who are tired of the gimmick, and at my low moments I feel cynical too, but you've got to look at this one and smile, right? Also, the ones below of the Presidents gazing approvingly at Lady Liberty.

Seems the Presidents were in New York for a race on the ice over on the Island, which wasn't their first trip on that surface. This video comes from Let Teddy Win.

Oh, and then there's their recent tryouts at Nats Park. The Post was there to chronicle the snowy proceedings.

Though my favorite part from the audition may have been this wanton destruction of a Flip camera. I've watched this many times, via Nationals Pride. It kills.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 18, 2010; 1:27 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin goes shopping
Next: D.C's Official USA Curling hotel

Comments

Looks like the heads could use a wash

Posted by: DMoney28 | February 18, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

LOL.
We really need more presidents

Some day I want the nats to have a race with 44 different mascots.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 18, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

What in the world? The Island? Why? Granted, they found some good skaters for the costumes, but still....why? I don't get it.

Posted by: EricS2 | February 18, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Dan, you're not asking the important question. Why are the Presidents on the ice in NYC and not at the Phone Booth?

Posted by: nunof1 | February 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

it was a "presidents day" race. caps were on break

Posted by: natfan616 | February 18, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Any way that camera fail can be a Natinals TV advertisement? Much better than the "real Nats Fans" ones.

Posted by: AndrewR1 | February 18, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

When did the Presidents become chimney sweeps?

Posted by: kolbkl | February 19, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse