Romo: "I'd cut off my right arm" for NFL opportunity

This week's news that Bill Romanowski is talking with the Redskins about a possible business relationship of some sort is fascinating, because everything Romanowski does and says is fairly fascinating.

Romo told John Keim that his conversations were "not anything official in any way as far as interviewing for a particular coaching job. It's not about me getting into coaching or any of that. It's about is there any way I could help."

And he sort of explained what sort of help he had in mind during an appearance on Sirius XM's Mad Dog Radio Tuesday morning. Host Gary Williams (no, not that Gary Williams) asked Romanowski if he's had "lengthy discussion with [coach] Mike Shanahan about this and are there plans for you to go and meet with him?" Romo responded by saying what sorts of things he could bring to an NFL team.

"You know, we've talked and basically, he knows what I brought to Denver," Romanowski said. "When I got there, I brought people with me - massage therapists, high-performance therapists, speed coaches - you know, guys that are still working for the Denver Broncos. I implemented breakfast because I saw that guys were walking in in the morning either not having eaten breakfast, or they were walking in with a McDonald's bag.

"So, literally, I was about helping the team win Super Bowls. And the only way you can do that is by addressing weak links, okay? Weak links were guys were breaking down. We need to get them healthier. Bio-mechanically they need to be better. Nutritionally they need to be stronger. And I knew the experts. They needed to train better. I bought $10,000 worth of exercise equipment for the Denver Bronco weight room in the first couple months I was there, because I didn't like some of the equipment they had. So I wrote a check and said, 'We need this stuff, because this will help us win.' "

Of course, this wasn't exactly answering the original question, so the host tried again.

"Until you know what the expectations are of somebody that you interview with for a position, you don't know exactly whether absolutely I want this," he said. "Do you have a feeling, though, that you want to have a job in the NFL and, in particular, with the Redskins? Do you feel that, right now, that you want to have a position in the league?"

"You know what?" Romanowski replied. "If everything would work out and the expertise that I could bring to help a team win -- combining Eastern and Western medicines, bringing an holistic approach, bringing the best scientists, doctors, nutritionists, high-performance trainers - if that is something that the Washington Redskins have interest [in], have interest in getting better in every facet of what they do.

"They've hired the best football coach there is, as far as I'm concerned. They have the best general manager. And these are some of those added things that I could bring. And would I be ready? Hey, I'm always ready for a challenge. I'm always ready to help make people better. I've been making people better for the last four years with my nutrition company. I have really good people that help me run the company.

"So as far as the Washington Redskins, if the opportunity came up and it was the right opportunity, man, I'd cut off my right arm to be back in the building, in the locker room, around a team, helping a team win a Super Bowl. Whatever that means. And, like I said, I'm kind of beating around the bush a little bit here and I know I am. I'm being pretty careful about the way I'm speaking."

So who knows what happens next with Romanowski in D.C., but if he does start to work for the Skins, expect 14 blog posts about Eastern medicine, 17 about bio-mechanics, and at least 50 or 60 about what Clinton Portis eats for breakfast.

(Williams's show, "The First Word, airs 6-10 a.m. weekdays on Sirius channel 123 and XM channel 144).

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 10, 2010; 1:33 PM ET
Categories:  NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps talk about snowmageddon
Next: Leonsis: "I want immortality for the players"

Comments

Mr. Romanowski,

Feel free to cut off your right arm. And then to remain far away from the Washington Redskins.

Thanks.

Posted by: DKSW | February 10, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Excellent! Nothing like hiring an alleged steroid user as your strength and conditioning coach!

Posted by: Hokienautic | February 10, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

All this talk about Romo and steroids. Please don't act like no one on the Redskins have ever done them before. Are you serious?

I mean, come the hell on. Do you actually believe Romo was the only one in the history of the game to use them? Only way your vitriol makes any sort of sense.

Posted by: supuradam | February 10, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Suck dirt, Romo. When ""Western" medicine means BALCO, stay the hell away. Just wondering, were you that much of a bunghole before steroids or as a result of them or both?

Posted by: superpen | February 10, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Based on the number of injuries, nagging pains, and out-of-shape "professionals" on the Redskins, I'd welcome the type of person Romo is. Aka, a complete psycho who's obsessed with weight training and diet. Someone needs to yell at a team that had arguably the worst conditioning program over the past five years (based on nagging injuries and poor late season/late game performances).

And I love the people who say, "he admitted steroid use, so he's evil." I bet you're the same type of people who think Mark McGwire and the entire rest of MLB is a bunch of idiots for not just coming out clean in the first place. Can't have it both ways. At least Romo has admitted it and if you actually think he's going to try to break the rules with Redskins players, you're a complete idiot.

Posted by: Section104 | February 10, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Based on the headline, I assumed you were talking about Tony Romo.

Of course, that would be hilarious.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 10, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

every time i read about romanowski i can't help but think about that article in SI about 12 years ago

"romo pops a plethora"
i really can't hope for him to be coaching or helping a team in a way that i would like...

Posted by: bacaje | February 10, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

As a player he had a reputation for classlessness - he spit on players - and just being a jerk. Yeah he was ultra-competitive but everyone has been saying how cool Arrington's rant was and this guy isn't one of those players. His persona alone (let alone how clean his pee is) would hurt an organization's reputation. He loved self-promotion (uh oh Danny, don't make that call) and just didn't respect the game.

Posted by: Leofwine | February 10, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather we went and got Craig Fitzgerald from South Carolina's football program.

Posted by: BushH8er | February 10, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Does it surprise anyone that an unsavory character with a history of steroid use and bad sportsmanship would want to work with the skins and vice versa?

Not really.

Posted by: DaleGribble | February 10, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'd prefer he bring the next John Elway, rather than his psychobabble. Why does Shanahan attract these peculiar characters. Who's next, Joe the Plumber?

Posted by: Fredneck2 | February 10, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

My favorite part was when he said, "And, like I said, I'm kind of beating around the bush a little bit here." Yes, in that interview he was very quite, humble, and circumspect.

Posted by: disgruntledfan | February 10, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it would be wonderful if Tony Romo cut his right arm off.

Posted by: wis193 | February 10, 2010 6:33 PM | Report abuse

I'd cut off Romo's arm for a good NFL job as well...

Posted by: randysbailin | February 10, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Can we please not refer to him as Romo? I expected something else from this article...

Posted by: svxcountry1 | February 11, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse