That "Deport Vasquez" sign

A few questions about this sign, spotted on TV during Maryland's win over Florida State Thursday night. (Thanks to everyone who e-mailed it to me, and thanks to Mister Irrelevant for having a better version.)

1) Really?

2) This was shown in a highlight package at the end of the game, meaning it wasn't live television. Meaning some producer at Raycom actually thought this would be a swell image to include in a highlight package.

3) What do you reckon the sign-holder makes of the fact that Florida State's roster includes Solomon Alabi, from Nigeria? Must eat this chap up at night, huh?

4) If ever someone deserved to be poked in the head with a sign, it was this guy. Um, right?

"The fans here were crazy, the craziest I've ever had since N.C. State," Greivis Vasquez said, via D1scourse. "They were being racist, they were talking about deporting me and sending me back home, calling me Mexican when I'm Venezuelan. It was pretty bad, so they deserved to lose. That's why they lost. I showed up like I showed up, like I'm the best player on the court and they have to take it like that."

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 5, 2010; 10:57 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jose Theodore and the laser pointer
Next: Caps win means 12 free pizza toppings

Comments

Lovely. At least Vasquez has a pretty good attitude about it.

I was at the Texas A&M/Texas Tech game last weekend and was stunned when the place started chanting "USA" when Darko from Tech went to the line since he's not from the United States (and probably the only player from either team who is not). Normally really respective fans there (place was silent when Mike Singletary went down), but wow. (The guys behind me doing fake Soviet accents were worse, esp. since Darko is not from Russia).

Posted by: suzannepdc | February 5, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Look, suzanne, you may be absolutely correct on all points, but you're the one who made the decision to go and live among all those Texans. :)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | February 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

DIsgusting, but, sadly, not surprising.

Posted by: elpando | February 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Bad taste should not mean censorship. Go find a real story.

Posted by: dwbruce45 | February 5, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Nate - I know, I know...

::hangs head in shame::

Posted by: suzannepdc | February 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Vasquez "showed a good a attitude about it"??!?!?!?!? hahahah, im a huge MD supporter and can hardly watch this disgrace of a person play for the Terps. He is constantly talking crap (to home and away fans), and he is average player and below average person. He's a selfish gunner jerk, that Gary has absolutely no control over. I cannot wait for him to leave. Late 2nd round draft pick, wont make and nba roster. Adios Amigo!!!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

What? Such behavior from the Harvard of the south? I'm shocked.

Posted by: mstov | February 5, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I remember when UVA used to chant crack baby every time Juan Dixon touched the ball because his parents died from AIDS.

Schools need to be fined and teams need to be docked wins, racism has no place in sports and schools must take responsibility for their fans.

Oh and someone from raycom needs to be fired.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | February 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

That level of ignorance is about what you'd expect from Felon State.

It's not nearly excused by Vasquez being a discredit to UMd, and a perfect example (along with Gilchrist) of why Gary Williams' recruiting ability began and ended with (the sainted) Juan Dixon. Had the Alien Steve Blake played for any other school, I'd have disliked him a lot. Vasquez is too much of a self-absorbed punk to merit even the courtesy of homerism.

Posted by: Landru | February 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

tasteless sign. reflects poorly on FSU.
Vasquez is a bum, though.

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah the guy deserves poked in the head, but it's not the worst thing I have ever seen.

Definately bad taste on Raycom's part.

I'm more offended about the "Mexican" comment then that sign.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 5, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Petey - just to clarify "UVA" didn't chant that. A few extreme morons made utterly distasteful comments. Don't make it sound like all (or most or much) of U-Hall was chanting anything like that.

Posted by: gkronenberg | February 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I think Tony_M5 really reiterates the racist strands that are going against Greivis. In the end he is the key to this MD team going to the tournament this year and you say something racist like "Adios Amigo"? I wish you would think again about the multi-cultural society that we live in and not have such a racist attitude toward Vasquez. TOODLES!

Posted by: jyoun06 | February 5, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

heckling your own players would be classless

PS...my friends and I cannot wait to go support the Terps at Comcast in the next home game, and heckle the hell out of Vasquez for being such a dork...hopefully he will give us the bird. Classless.Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kevinb2000 | February 5, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

This is bad. But I'm not sure that Maryland fans have any moral high ground here. Why is this any worse that the chants about J.J. Redick's sexuality?

Posted by: nordicus | February 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Obviously this guy holding the sign couldn't get into UMD.

Posted by: Joe82 | February 5, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gkronenberg | February 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

----------

Well let's put it this way, many of the ACC schools chanted that at Juan and also at DJ Strawberry. So as a plus, the idiots chanting it at UVA were not special idiots, they were run of the mill racist ACC idiots.

Posted by: M__N | February 5, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

If you're going to carry yourself as Vasquez has for almost 4 years, then expect to see signs much worse than this one.

Vasquez has a filthy reputation on his OWN campus. Is it really that surprising that a fan of a rival would call attention to this? C'man Man, the guy has brought nothing but -ve attention to the university - AND NOT BECAUSE HE IS FROM S.A. but because he is classless, self-absorbed ahole.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | February 5, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diego99999 | February 5, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Blame Chavez!

Posted by: cordobes17 | February 5, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

"man..i would have never thought maryland fans would have turned on there best player after a win..what is going on people? we support our teams here no matter what"

Ahhhh, the UMD valedictorian finally shows up...

Vasquez deserves everything he gets... Do I hear the Israel Basketball Association calling? He deserves that....

Posted by: RiSKybizness | February 5, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of low class, ignorant, racists. And I'm not talking about the idiots at FSU. I'm talking about the disgusting comments on this thread. Small minded people like you give the rest of humanity a bad name. Intolerance is responsible for 99% of the misery in this world. And the low rent, low life racists comments on this thread are just a disgrace. GV has given his heart and soul or Maryland and we would be no where without him. Shame on you. Take your filth back to the gutter where it belongs.

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 5, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

vasquez is a bum. nothing racist in that.

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

"And the low rent, low life racists comments on this thread are just a disgrace. GV has given his heart and soul or Maryland and we would be no where without him."

And now the solitary UMD Rhodes Scholar decides to chime in...

You would do UMD more good than harm by keeping your opinion to yourself... You only prove the point...

Posted by: RiSKybizness | February 5, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

And now the solitary UMD Rhodes Scholar decides to chime in...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, the point is you're an ignorant fool. And yes, as proven by your response. My point has been made precisely.

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 5, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Terpsrule, I'm happy to stand by my published intolerance of loud-mouthed, self-promoting, narcissistic punks, regardless of their national, ethnic, religious, or cultural origins.

In fact, I'm just going to assume that your comments don't apply to my comment. But I think you could probably better understand that being a fan doesn't require uncritical acceptance of flaws.

Posted by: Landru | February 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Landru | February 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Needless to say, I disagree with your assessment. There is no doubt that Vasquez is our most important and best player and there is no doubt that he is a polarizing figure. My issue of course, is with the small minded disgusting racists and small minded comments that were made on this thread. No matter what you think of GV, that sign at the game was indefensible and for people to respond with "That's what he deserves," is just galling beyond words. NO ONE deserves that. Ever.

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

no, that sign was in poor taste. no question. but let's be honest, umd fans have been just as bad (worse?) to opposing players/teams/fans. i am not proposing that two wrongs make a right, but it does make it a bit harder to take the indignation seriously...

and vasquez is a bum.

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Just the facts...Vasquez is Venezuelan...Hugo Chavez is more anti-American than most Mexican officials...just check out his "Alo Presidente" website...but most Venezuelans in this country are in the anti-Chavez crowd and are probably in exile from Hugo Chavez and his policies.

Wasn't this crowd in Tallahassee rather than College Park?

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 5, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Isn't that more "nationalist" than "racist"? Stupid definitely, not sure its racist though.

I kinda like when people make insulting personal attacks on me. Its only because they can't criticize what I'm actually doing. Its kind of a compliment when you think about it.

Posted by: settleten | February 5, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

ummmmmm....last time I checked Florida isn't the most diverse state in the union. I'm not surprised at all.

Posted by: dtownzman | February 5, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Dan -

Not that I disagree with your argument about this being a pretty tasteless sign to display, but why do you choose to headline and decry a single FSU fan with a single ugly sign like that? I don't recall seeing your outrage in headlines or highlighted here when thousands of fans in Comcast were chanting (and wearing similar t-shirts) "F*** JJ!!!" over and over, whenever Duke came to Comcast (so loud that the TV and radio announcers couldn't AVOID it being heard over their broadcasts...)! Or when multiple signs appeared in the Terp crowd reprehensibly describing his teenage sister's (fictional) sexual performances.

C'mon Dan, if you apprently think that stuff is ok, then how can you attack the single (tasteless) FSU fan??? Just asking for some consistency.

Posted by: BDBD2 | February 5, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I watched the game last night but I missed the sign. If I had seen it, I would have laughed it off as from a loser. Thanks Gravis for being you and helping the Terps beat the Seminoles. FSU fans, what a bunch of losers.

However, Dan the blogger should also ask why do Terps fans have to chant four-letter words in a national television broadcast like ESPN or Fox Sports?

Please don't say 4 letter words are free speech because if you do, the anti-Vasquez sign is also free speech.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | February 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

There is no doubt that Vasquez is our most important and best player...

Posted by: Terpsrule | February 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What?! Yes, GV is the most important player, because he "plays" point gaurd, but the best? Not even close...unless you qualify the best player as the one who chucks the most forced shots, has almost one turnover per assist, never passes the ball on critical possessions.

This is what has disgusted Terp fans the last 4 years. Don't get me wrong, his personality hasn't done him any favors, but it def cannot be overlooked as it has defined the selfish player he is.

The solution: GV needs to pass the ball early and often as he did against State, and the easy wins will follow.

Posted by: tomfoley1 | February 5, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm a huge MD supporter...as well as a YOUNG, GAY REPUBLICAN. And I think Vasquez is kewl!!! Boo UMd fans...

Posted by: iamasofaking | February 5, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

JUAN DIXON IS CLASS!!!!! and GREVIS IS AN @SS!!!!

Im starting this chant in section 110 at home against UNC!

There is nothing racist about disliking Vasquez, he is everything the MD program shouldn't want to be...self absorbed, above avg skilled, jerk...did you see him yell at the equipment manager for a towel against clemson when he tried to hand him a cup of water!!!! hahahaha, what a guy. GARY HAS NO CONTROL. You think Roy Williams or Coach K would let a player disrespect himself, his school, and his team like this. Embarrassing. GO TERPS!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

MORE DISTURBING THAN THE SIGN....was Raycom's broadcast of this game in SUPER LOW DEF!!?!?! it hurt my eyes to watch, i thought it was 1993 all over again, i was waiting for J Rhodes to check in the game at any moment and rip a steal for an uncontested lefty layup...even the announcers looked like they were stuck in the early 90's!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I didn't realize YOUNG, GAY REPUBLICANS were such bad spellers. you learn something new everyday

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, real "huge MD fan" you are. Riiiiight. How bout "huge moron" instead? Calling a 22 year old kid a "disgrace of a person" a "selfish jerk" a "below average person" who you "cannot wait for to leave".

Oh yeah, I'm suuuuuure you'll be at the game on Sunday. Hah! Let me know where you're sitting, I'll come by and verify whether you are full of sh*t.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Help me out here ... it's bad for the TV folks to highlight the sign but okay if the print media do it? Offensive is offensive, no matter what source is publicizing it.

Posted by: Rational_Man | February 5, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Re-posting my comments from Terp Insider:

Unfortunately, I think the immigration reform efforts of 2006-2007 unearthed a lot of ugly anti-Hispanic sentiment in this country, particularly in the southern states, and it hasn't really gone away despite immigration reform being on the shelf for 3 years. And a guy like Vasquez is an easy target for those opposed to the legalization of our nation's undocumented immigrants.

Again, I'm not saying this doesn't happen at Maryland home games. It does. But you gotta feel for Vasquez...yeah he's flamboyant, yeah he's cocky, but he's just a college kid playing basketball who doesn't deserve to have these bigoted comments and signs directed at him and his family. He has thousands if not more fans, friends, and family down in Venezuela watching most of his games on tv/internet. What a piss poor representation of this country these idiot fans give to those watching in Latin America. It's embarrassing.

Props to Greivis (spelled with 2 i's Yanda) for taking it all in stride.

Also want to point out these idiot bigots would never get away with this if they were yelling racist taunts towards blacks, Native Americans, Asians, etc in front of a large crowd of people--or at least less likely to get away with it. But it's somehow socially acceptable to some these days to be racist against Latinos.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Section 110, what row and seat number?

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

non-story

Posted by: slim4 | February 5, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

is the guy holding the sign wearing eye shadow? if so, that's awesome.

GO TERPS!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I just love the so-called MD "fans" on here who are justifying the racism towards Vasquez because he is a cocky player who "asks for it." Seriously, are you the same people who say a woman deserved to be raped because she was wearing a short skirt?

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Comments on this board should be shocking, but unfortunately are expected from horrible people who claim to be Maryland fans. Vasquez, who is on pace to be our third all time leading scorer and already second all time in career assists, about to make all-ACC this year for the third year in a row is clearly our best player and it's not close. Far from being a "bum."

Also, he plays the game with passion which sadly rubs people the wrong way. God forbid he has a little fun out there. When he speaks he has nothing but the utmost respect for the University, Coach Williams, and his teammates. Sadly, some of our fans hate him for the silliest reasons just as they have for some of our previous top players in recent seasons.

Thank goodness this is only a small minority of unintelligent fans that are totally clueless. Too bad they make too much noise.

Posted by: elowe2 | February 5, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

no. he is still a bum. his line from UVA is all too typical. plus his personality is obnoxious.

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What???? hahahaha, Barney is a fool! hahahahahahahaha

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Been going on for years: "Patrick can't read this", "Dallas sucks", "Welcome Barroid Bonds". Probably an over-active fan, not a racist.

Posted by: jburnetti | February 5, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

JUAN DIXON IS CLASS!!!!! and GREVIS IS AN @SS!!!!

Im starting this chant in section 110 at home against UNC!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Still awaiting you to tell us your row and seat number in section 110. I promise I'll be polite when I come by to verify...I just have this sneaky suspicion you are lying threw your teeth.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

i will not be at the game. but i can't blame a guy for not telling some one on a message board where he is sitting. kind of creepy...

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Creepy is saying you're going to start a "Greivis is an *ss" chant at a big home game after the kid just got taunted with a lot of racist comments on the road. Seriously.

Creepy is saying you're doing this in Section 110 (near where I sit) and then ignoring questions about where exactly you are sitting.

Sorry funkey if I highly doubt there will be any "Greivis is an *ss" chants coming out of section 110 at Comcast on Sunday.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

JUAN DIXON IS CLASS!!!!! and GREVIS IS AN @SS!!!!

Im starting this chant in section 110 at home against UNC!

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

You must be super proud of yourself coming up with a chant as clever and as well thought out as that. Pathetic Greivis haters rather see him fail than see the team win. Actual fans don't think of ways to chant at and rattle their own players. Please root for another team or kill yourself.

Posted by: elowe2 | February 5, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Until any of you have me the young man as I have you should probably keep your opinions to yourselves. You know nothing of the person he is and sound moronic to anyone that has met him.

He'll play in the league too. NBA GMs care about wins and will draft him and pay him as such.

Posted by: Lee26 | February 5, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I had no idea that there were so many supposed "Maryland fans" that hate Greivis Vasquez. All the guy has done is stayed loyal to a program and improved each and every year since he's been at UMD. Other schools hate Greivis because they recognize him for what he is -- a true player and team leader. Are you still hoping that John Gilchrist will come back? Go root for Duke you losers.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | February 5, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

At the MD-Duke game at the Comcast center a few years ago, during the Duke Lax scandal, some Terp fans brought a sign reading "No Means No!"

At first, an usher took it away from them. After the fans booed the confiscation, the sign was returned, at which point we chanted "No means no..."

Was that in bad taste too?

Posted by: jboogie1 | February 5, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

If Vasquez is a nice kid in private, that's wonderful for him and those around him. His public persona and his in-game manners don't reflect well on the school, and whatever personal knowledge anyone here claims of him doesn't change that. Further, his stats aren't related to the public persona that he's chosen.

I don't want him (or the team) to fail. I want him to not be an exponentially more obnoxious version of JJ Reddick. And I'll be every bit as happy when he exhausts his eligibility as I was when Gilchrist chose to give up his.

Posted by: Landru | February 5, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

JUAN DIXON IS CLASS!!!!! and GREVIS IS AN @SS!!!!
Im starting this chant in section 110 at home against UNC!
Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------------
I certainly EVERYONE in section 110 is EJECTED and BANNED for life from the Comcast Center. I don't need to hear your crap on my television while my Terps are playing. And NO I will NOT turn my TV off so you can BS on national television. You are a Terps disgrace.
GO TERPS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: memyselfI1 | February 5, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I think it's pretty clear Tony_M5 is not a MD fan. It's so easy to come on a blog of your rival team. He really thought we'd believe he'd get a "Vasquez is an *ss" chant in the lower bowl of Comcast Center on Sunday against Carolina? Seriously, how dumb are these people?

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 3:22 PM
---------------------------

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 4:11 PM

---------------------------

Yeah, I believe the correct word usage/spelling Barno1 is looking for is "through" not "threw".

Another funny point is that Barno1 is always claiming he has internet stalkers and than what does he do? He demands to know where certain people are sitting at games.

Nah, nothing stalker-ish about that. Nothing.

Hypocrisy is a funny thing.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 5, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Uhg, I've seen this movie before.

Poopy = obssessed fan of Barno

Poopy tricks Barno into meeting him. Poopy then kills Barno.

Go see Big Fan poop...you need help man.

Posted by: riggs55 | February 5, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

ive been a md ever since i can remember...everest burns, teyon mccoy, steve hood, bryon williams (before he was bison dele) cederic lewis, derrick lewis, mitch kasof, sarunus, exree hip, j rhodes, dwayne simpkins...damn, even will bowers...i supported all these fools cause they represented our school (at least on the bbball court) with class. its IMPOSSIBLE to cheer for greives. hes such an arrogant prick. i want us to win DESPITE him.

Posted by: Tony_M5 | February 5, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Everyone has varying degrees of appreciation/dislike for Grevis. Some fans love him some don't, he is a controversial figure. But most Terp fans probably appreciate his contributions (while I think only a small minority don't).

And Poopy is such a tool. Everyone gets it: You hate Barno. ENOUGH.

Posted by: mikegt67 | February 5, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

no, barno1, creepy is continually asking where someone is sitting at a game so you can check in on them. if the chant occurs, then you will hear it, since you supposedly sit so close to that section.

and vasquez is a huge bum. he will go europe/d league next year. prospects of him in the nba are just hilarious. he would get his lunch eaten daily at that level...

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

funkey,

So you're not even a MD fan? so why are you even commenting on any of this? Anyhow, no I don't lie about where I sit ...unlike one person on here. I just feel that if someone is going to make the statement that they are going to start a "Greivis is an *ss" chant from a certain section on a blog about how Greivis just heard countless offensive and borderline racist comments at a road game, he shouldn't then hide what row and what seat. That has nothing remotely to do with stalking, that's just calling someone out and seeing if they're BSing or not.

As for MikeGt, I would not engage nor respond to Poopy if I was you. It is simply pointless. The guy has serious mental issues.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Tony your funny as hell!!! I can't wait for him to leave as well. He brings it all on himself, shimme shake, hushing crowds. Total embaresment to the team,university,and state. MD will be just fine in the backcourt next year W/ Howard and Stoglin coming in. I'll miss Hayes but not GV.
Tony that might have been "the young gay R" holding that sign.

Posted by: curtsterps | February 5, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

i didn't know this forum was restricted. are you the one who decides who can and cannot post? should i email you with a application?

anyways, it *is* creepy that you wanna try and intimidate this guy by getting his seat number. i am sure if the chant starts you will know where it is coming from. if there is no chant, THEN you can call him out. otherwise, cut the tough guy, playground shenanigans, k?

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

tough guy, playground shenanigans? You mean "I promise I will be polite"? This is what you consider "intimidating"? Whatever dude.

Ok, I will take your advice and just wait til the game and if I hear him, I'll come on here and acknowledge how wrong I was. But I highly doubt that will be the case.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 5, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

well, not polite per se. but when you keep asking for someone's seat so you can check in on them it gets a little weird. if you don;t see that, then we obviously differ on standards of conduct. if the chant happens you will hear it, since you sit right there.

Posted by: funkey | February 5, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

The decision to make that sign was obviously a poor one but since when did Maryland fans become so righteous? I'm a recent Terp grad and attended 95% of home games and distinctively remember many, many similarly classless moments; in fact, Maryland students made and distributed red t-shirts that proudly advertised students as "Classless Thugs." The Red Army called Julius Hodge anorexic, threw things at Shane Battier's mom and act like you or someone you know didn't make late night calls to one opposing players' cell phone in the middle of the night. Also, lest we forget this moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0RrzClS--k (go to around 5:30 in the clip).

ACC basketball is great and the consistently hostile away games are part of that aura. GV plays to it and he thrives off of it. JJ, Juan, Chris Paul, Julius Hodge, Gilchrist, Felton, etc. all did the same thing -- excelled when opposing fans were most brutal to them.

Give it a rest.

Posted by: jburkemiller | February 5, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez showed class in his comments after the game. He has matured before our very eyes. He is a student, and he doesn't get paid, so be thankful for his services and cheer for your team. If you want to boo your team and say stupid stuff (TONY) then go find a pro team.
For all you GV haters-There is a reason he made the Cousy finalist award list. I at times may not be his biggest fan, I still recognize the guy is a real asset to the team.
And if I hear ANY chant about GV being an ass, I can assure you I will start a much louder one in the student section of "Lets go MARYLAND!" I will have a sign about Roy Williams if you are curious who/where I am.

Posted by: terpfan2011 | February 6, 2010 1:28 AM | Report abuse

My problem with Vasquez is that he is a guest of the USA and as a student-athlete, benefits from US & MD taxpayers. Last year after MD beat UNC, GV's family &/or friends unfurled a Venezuelan flag. Throw all of them back to Chavez. That kind of behavior indicates exactly how much they appreciate the USA.

Posted by: JimmyM2 | February 6, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

College Basketball is serious business.

Great to see the Terps win, not too great to see the signs up, or to see some of the negative comments on Vasquez here.

Posted by: TheBigN | February 7, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JimmyM2 | February 6, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

bigots like you are what is wrong with this great country. There is nothing wrong with having pride in your home country, this doesn't mean that Vasquez doesn't love and "appreciate" the USA, you unbelievable moron.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 7, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse