The '84 Caps, in pictures

When I was writing that item about the 1984 Caps the other day--the only previous Caps group to reach 10 straight wins--it wasn't easy finding images. And yet you just knew that group had to have some tremendous mustaches.

Then Matt Terl wisely reminded me of one path I hadn't considered: camera phone photos of old media guides! Terl posted this stellar recap of the 1991 Redskins media guide, which you really ought to go peruse. And then I remembered that I had grabbed a whole bunch of old Caps and Bullets media guides out of a garbage can just before the sports section's recent move.

Sadly, the 1983-'84 guide seems to have gone missing, but happily, many of the stars from February of 1984 remained on the team by the following fall, when the media guide was published. As expected, they had some tremendous mustaches. Also, some good hair.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 4, 2010; 1:42 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Yester Look
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Canadian fans love Alex Ovechkin
Next: Chris Cooley with Jake and Amir and Jared

Comments

What's with all the serial killer eyes?

Posted by: EricS2 | February 4, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Awesome stuff!

@EricS2 - Those are Hockey Player eyes, my friend. :-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I wish someone could dig up the Department of Defense promotional poster they handed out around this time. All the Caps were in army fatigues on the ice and I think there may have been a tank or a Humvee involved

Posted by: Dexcanread | February 4, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

What a defense! Three Hall-of-Famers + 1 more who would have been a HoFer if he didn't start carrying a purse on the ice. Too bad we never did anything with it.

Posted by: topshelf_22304 | February 4, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Could possibly be the greatest collection of mullets ever in Washington DC.

Posted by: madflava | February 5, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

great post!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 5, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Locker looks kind of like Karl Alzner in that picture.

Posted by: GMUCAPS | February 5, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Dexcanread (and Steinz), I'm almost certain that poster is somewhere amongst my old stuff in my parents' basement. The next time I'm over there I'll peruse.

Posted by: gocaps2 | February 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse