What that fan was gesturing to Jordan Staal

Remember this photo above? I originally speculated that the gentleman who was communicating with Jordan Staal might have been implying something unfit to mention on a family blog. Readers suggested he was referencing the Kids in the Hall "Crush Your Head" gimmick. Turns out we were all wrong.

Because the Internet knows all, the man all the way on the right--we'll call him Marc-Andre--e-mailed me to explain what was going on. His words:

My brother and his son were next to me. I had been talking with Staal for about half the game, basically telling him that his brother was better, and maybe if he scored, he would be as good. The seat I was sitting in is literally right next to the Pittsburgh bench, and there is about a 2-to-3 inch space, so it's easy to hold a conversation.

Staal was laughing off what we were saying. (I think because we kept it clean, and in good fun.) After he scored, he skated over, and put his hand to his ear, basically saying 'What now, I can't hear you.' My brother (in the Caps jersey) was saying with his hand gesture that he needs to do a little more, and that he was basically that close to missing the shot.

I was giving the universal sign for average, shaking my hand back and forth. After Staal sat back on the bench, I said to him that he needed a hat trick to be better than his brother, at which time he said 'It's over.' The great thing for Caps fans, it wasn't over yet.

So now you know the rest of the story. And no one's manhood was being questioned at all.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 10, 2010; 10:17 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mark Brunell and Chase Daniel make it big
Next: Caps talk about snowmageddon

Comments

That's awesome, I kind of like Jordan Staal now

Posted by: Bagher | February 10, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

I spent half the morning Monday looking for this photo.. thinking it was a gesture to the caps fans... now I read it was part of an ongoing, friendly conversation? Come on, Dan. Why do you post these things about the Pens. We need to continue to feed the beast. Pens are bad. Caps are good. They are part of the hockey axis of evil. Let's not lose sight of that. Pens bad. Caps good.

Posted by: TinyElvis | February 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

This is fun stuff. It's always good to "hate" the other team for rivalry purposes when they're on the ice but it's always good to know they're normal people, too. Except for Crosby, of course. He couldn't possibly be a good guy...and if you post some blog that makes me think he's a decent human being I'll never read this blog again! (I was positive that guy was crushing Staal's head...that's what I'd have been doing.)

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | February 10, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I love stuff like this. It doesn't make you hate the Penguins any less, but it does make you like certain players or at least respect them. I had a similar incident years ago in the late 80s at Memorial Stadium when the Os were playing the Yankees. Dave Winfield was playing in the outfield, and we were riding him like a rented mule. Some of the stuff wasn't exactly PG, thanks to the Naty Bos, but he did find it humorous, and laughed a few times as he looked up in our direction. At one point, he grabbed his cup and started shaking shaking his package in our direction.

Later in the game, Winfield smashed a line drive home run right into our section of the outfield. When he came out at the end of the Yanks at bat, he trotted out waving, laughing and pointing in our direction. Those of us taunting him were laughing too, and giving him a big thumbs up and a thundering ovation, which sort of upset a lot of the other fans there cheering for the Os. He kind of tipped his cap to us and that was that. I can't even remember who won the game. I've never stopped hating the Yankees, but ever since that day I became and always will be a Dave Winfield fan.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | February 10, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

dear hockey fans: more of this type of stuff and less "pounding on the glass every time the play gets near your seats," please. that's gotta be the most annoying thing about hockey games, both on TV and in person.

Posted by: dimesmakedollars | February 10, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

As much as I hate them, this is one of my favorite posts on the bog regarding that team.

Posted by: sitruc | February 10, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I for one am VERY glad that the Pens took Jordan Staal in the draft and passed on Toews and Backstrom :)

Posted by: chombie13 | February 10, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Six or seven years ago there was a guy who sat next to the visiting team's penalty box. Every time a guy got thrown in he'd start talking to him. It was all clean - no shots about his family or anything.

The guy would read the player's stats and ride him about his +/- rating or some other weakness in his game. We used to love seeing the guy open up his game sheet when a player was going to the box.

A lot of players would talk back to him and I heard once that a player stayed a couple of extra seconds in the box to jaw at the guy, but I wasn't at that game.

Posted by: AndrewKB | February 10, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

That is so awesome

Posted by: ThisGuy | February 10, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Wow. THANK GOD I KNOW THAT.

Posted by: TCJR2000 | February 11, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

I thought the fan was referring to how close the Caps were to a Stanley Cup appearance till the Pens stole it from them..

LETS GO PENS

Posted by: Wags13 | February 11, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. I love it when a Caps fan and a Pens player in a heated game can keep the banter fun and friendly. Many hockey players are good guys. And shame on you Wags13 for your trolling. You completely missed the point of the piece and clearly J. Staal has more class than you--as does the Caps fan jawing with him.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 11, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse