Wilbon visits with Obama

Photos by Kyle Gustafson

Having devoted three separate blog posts to the handshakes of Mike Wise and Barack Obama, I'd be remiss if I failed to give Mike Wilbon the same courtesy. Wilbon visited with Obama at halftime of the Georgetown-Duke game, and thus earned mentions in a variety of Obama recaps.

And I do this not to kowtow to Wise, or Wilbon, or Obama, but because I write a lot about D.C. sports media junk, and any time a D.C. sports media figure manages to share public yuks with the leader of the free world, I consider it Bog-worthy.

Wilbon and Obama, of course, are actually friends; the columnist told ABC News that the president calls him to check in with his March Madness brackets.

The brilliant Kyle Gustafson snapped these shots, one of which was published on DCist. You can also see Kyle's photos of the Georgetown-Duke game.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 1, 2010; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weird jersey weekend
Next: Ben Olsen shovels out the practice field

Comments

Hmm, Wise on CBS camera. Not so much for Wilbon.

Also, was it that cold in the Phonebooth that people are wearing jackets?

Posted by: rdpinva | February 1, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I believe they are keeping the phone booth cooler to keep better ice for the Caps. You know, the only team in town worth supporting right now. The only one that cares about its fans. The only one that has any kind of plan for winning.

In other words, keep the phone booth cold.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | February 1, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

As if further proof was needed that Wilbon is an elitist windbag...now he is hobnobbing with the President.

Posted by: Rocky420 | February 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Man, BO's getting grayer by the day, it seems.

Posted by: BMoreChil | February 1, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

"Man, BO's getting grayer by the day, it seems."

Yup, wait until his term is over.

I can't remember which president it was, maybe it was the recent Bush? Anyway, someone said,"Look at him now and wait until 4 years from now. He's going to to be a lot grayer."

Being President ages you in dog years.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | February 1, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Good thing you included 3 pictures Steinz, each one is just so different!

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"And I do this not to kowtow to Wise, or Wilbon, or Obama"

Whatever you say

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rocky420 | February 1, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Don't get me wrong, there is no disputing that Wilbon is an elitist windbag (I say this as someone who could fairly be described as a Wilbon fan, even though I disagree with him on a host of issues...especially issues involving race, an area where Wilbon is so clearly ill informed and has proven time and again he does not want an open and honest discussion--contrary to what he will have you believe). But that said, I don't think him associating/shaking hands/etc with the president illustrates that he is an elitist windbag.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Nothing to it, may be it is just that two Chicago natives making fun of Redskins and Wizards...

Posted by: KarK | February 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

So Wilbon and Wise are advising Obama on sports, huh. Assuming he's using similar type sources for running the country, that completely explains why everything he's attempted to accomplish in his first year of office has gone WRONG. Message to Obama - steer clear of the morons.

Posted by: ARCstats | February 1, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? I mean, really. It's sort of sad that the Post thinks Wilbon is a celebrity.

Posted by: themantoyou | February 1, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Wilbon is a celebrity, don't think there's any doubting that. When you have your own show on ESPN, a network that's in about, oh a 3 billion homes worldwide...I think it's fair to call you a celebrity. But even prior to PTI, he was a well known public figure. 10 years ago, Sports Illustrated named it's 100 most powerful minorities in sports (why SI did this remains a mystery) and Wilbon was on the list.

Again, I'm not knocking the Post or Steinz for being proud of Wilbon's celebrity, or for being proud to meet the president, etc etc etc...No, I'm just saying this shouldn't be considering newsworthy.

Posted by: Barno1 | February 1, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Ah now a certain poster is taking up what is and isn't newsworthy.

First he pretty much deems who is and isn't a proper fan and how he's trying to tell Steinberg what is and isn't newsworthy.

How bout this Mr. Man, when you have you own blog on The Washington Post than you can decide for yourself what is and isn't newsworthy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 1, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Poopy, not sure if that was directed at me, but having worked at the Post for many years and knowing Wilbon to be a genuine, terrific, personable guy, I'm not knocking HIM. I'm knocking my man Dave, who's blog I love. I care about what is written in the Post and I think journalists have to be careful because it is very, very easy to start considering yourself the news and having a skewed sense of self importance. It's important to remain the words and not the person behind them.

I love the Bog, I love Wilbon, but this is ridiculous.

Posted by: themantoyou | February 1, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

nah theman, it was directed at another party whose most recent post appears directly above my initial post here.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 1, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 1, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

----

Cool, cool.

Posted by: themantoyou | February 1, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know Wilbon had connections with the prez, dang.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | February 1, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse