9:30 Club bouncer makes Caps broadcast

It's always fun when two local icons from very different walks of life collide.

Monday night, it was iconic 9:30 club doorman/night manager Josh Burdette -- seen here as a Verizon Center fan -- and iconic Caps TV guy Joe Beninati -- acting here as the play-by-play man for Versus.

With the busy road schedule, Beninati likely doesn't see too many rock shows in-season, and so he focused on Burdette's ears.

"Bill, please do not try that in the studio," he said to Versus studio host Bill Patrick. "Noooo. No. Bill, Keith, Ryan, Edzo, your ears are way too valuable. Do not try that in the studio."

No word if they did or not. (Via @jfdulac, who should know from nightclub doormen.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 8, 2010; 10:51 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Poll Week XV: Terps on Fire
Next: Ovechkin's mom gives him a haircut

Comments

Seen that guy many times at 9:30 club. Surprisingly nice and gentle with crowd surfers

Posted by: JDP_ | March 8, 2010 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, JDP, love that dude. A fixture on the scene.

This post had the unusual effect of making me miss living in DC all the more... the Caps *and* the 9:30 Club. Ah, well.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 9, 2010 12:41 AM | Report abuse

That guy is really nice. Ran into him at a Tool show up in Upper Darby, Pa back in '05 or so.

Randomly went up to him and was like "This may sound weird but are you a bouncer at the 9:30 club?" He confirmed and we than went on to chat about how awesome Tool is and funny it was we were both in PA to see them.

Oh, and that night Tool put on a kick-ass set.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 9, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

josh is awesome - and a sincerely nice guy. there was an article published about him last summer in the washingtonian ( http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/artsfun/12683.html )

Posted by: rubyx4soho | March 9, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Josh was actually my English composition workshop partner in college. I admit I judged a book by its cover and my pre-judgement was dead wrong. Throughout our class he was cool as sh*t and really smart. Helped me in that class and even helped me along with a job. Everytime I see him I make sure to thank him.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 9, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Would have liked to have seen the broadcast...if I got Versus...sigh.

Versus and DirecTV: a pox on both your houses.

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | March 9, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

"Oh, and that night Tool put on a kick-ass set." Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

Of COURSE they did. Best band ever.

What a fantastic culture collision! I've seen Josh for years at 9:30 and often spotted him at other venues. Never knew he was a UMD grad or such a nice guy. Since I don't get Versus (shakes fist angrily) I had to get my updates from NHL on the FLY and they didn't mention Josh. Thanks Steinz!

Posted by: Tom703 | March 9, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I think that show wsa in '06 Poo. But yeah, TOOL rock hard, as does Josh. Super nice guy.

Posted by: EricS2 | March 9, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Eric you're right, May 2006. It was their "warm up" tour for their 10K Days album.

Awesome that others on here rock the Tool.

Seen 'em 9 more times since than.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 9, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

He's been a fixture at the 9:30 Club for a long time. I think it's cool he's a CAPS fan.

Posted by: noreaster1 | March 9, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

I remember slipping him scores during a playoff game last April. He was stuck working, and we had bought tickets many months in advance. Good times.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | March 9, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

He's been a fixture in the stands at Verizon for a while too.

Posted by: Grooven | March 9, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

This makes me very happy. And homesick.

Thanks, Dan!