Boudreau discusses Sidney Crosby's scuffle

Bruce Boudreau was on Pittsburgh sports talker 93.7 The Fan Tuesday morning, and as he's wont to do, he charmed the socks off the hosts.

"You know, it's kind of hard not to like the bad guy," one of the hosts said after the segment. "He's the bad guy, and we like him."

The coach and the Pittsburghers did have a disagreement on one thing, though. You can probably guess what that one subject was.

Yup! You got it! The hosts asked Boudreau whether Alex Ovechkin's two suspensions this year have tarnished his image, and the coach defended his guy.

"In Pittsburgh, maybe," Boudreau cracked. "Look, we all love him here in Washington. I don't know. He plays hard. And when you play as hard every night as he does, things are gonna happen. He got suspended and reprimanded and everything, but the same thing can be said about Sidney. I mean, you look a the end of last night's game, which happens a lot. [Crosby] competes so hard, I mean, he ends up in that scrum at the end. I don't think his image of being a great player is tarnished by the amount of little feuds he's gotten into in the course of this year. But I mean, Ovi's suspensions are again nationwide, or two nations wide, and you hear it all the time. It may have, I have no idea. Not to us, that's all I know."

The conversation soon moved on, and after Boudreau had hung up, the hosts revisited this topic, with a special emphasis on Crosby's little scrum from Monday night, seen above, via D.C. Landing Strip.

"We're not in a position really to get into a debate [with Boudreau]: you ask questions, you get answers and then you can comment on his comments," one of the hosts observed. "But the one comparison that he made when I asked him about Ovechkin's physical play and he talked about what Crosby did at the end of last night's game, where there was just a little bit of nonsense with Zetterberg? That wasn't flying across the ice, leaving your feet and cross checking a guy into the boards. There's a big difference between the kind of boys will be boys [scuffles and]....That irritated the Red Wings, by the way, what he did. And that's good. It stirs things up."

This just fits perfectl into Boudreau's previous discussion of how regional bias will inevitably color the way people look at these two players. When Crosby gets in end-game shoving, to Pittsburghers, it's "boys will be boys." When Ovechkin seriously injures another player, to Washingtonians, it's playing his guts out.

Still, if they differ on Ovechkin, there was smiling agreement about the Penguins-Capitals rivalry, and it's value to hockey. The hosts even suggested that the Caps should be chosen to play the first game in the Pens' new arena next season, and they asked Boudreau how long it would take before Wednesday's game turns intense.

"Maybe the warm-ups," Boudreau said. "I mean, let's face it, I mean, Canadians will say different, but is there a better rivalry in hockey at this point? I don't think so. Like I said, it takes the whole continent center stage when Pittsburgh plays Washington, and I don't think the last playoff round that we had against them or the NBC game made it any less than what it is. It's two teams that know in this conference that they're up near the best, and they fight tooth and nail for every inch, whether it's a psychological edge or what have you come playoff time.

"And it's got the two bets players in the game today going head to head, and this year it's even magnified [since] with 10 games to go they're both tied for the goal scoring championship of the league. So I think everything's magnified when you guys play us, and I think that's great for hockey....I think hockey loves it when Pittsburgh plays Washington, and I think it's great for the game."

"He's right about one thing: it would be an absolute shame if there's not a Penguins-Capitals postseason meeting again," one host said later. "Now we can make fun, we have white outs at Mellon Arena, and they Rock the Red in Washington. If you've ever been to a game there and taken your life into your hands, they've got their little band, and Mike Green plays better on the drums than he does when he's actually on the ice. All these guys, Ovechkin and Mike Green and some of these other guys are in a rock band, playing along with this Rock the Red thing that they've got going. Everybody wears red, the place is absolutely nuts. It's terrific. It's a terrific atmosphere."

"It's a great, great atmosphere, it is," another host said. "And we do need to have that happen. I don't care how it's configured, I don't care what it takes, we need to have a Washington-Pittsburgh Stanley Cup playoff series this coming spring."

(Boudreau was also asked about the filming of Slapshot. "A lot of great x-rated stories that we can't talk about," he noted. "Those actors are pretty wild.")

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 23, 2010; 2:49 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blackhawks owner: Ovechkin had "an angry outburst"
Next: The letters in Gilbert's defense

Comments

"That wasn't flying across the ice, leaving your feet and cross checking a guy into the boards." ...

------------

Like how they recall Ovechkin flying across the ice through the air like Superman before hitting Campbell.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | March 23, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

WTF? When has this ever happened?

Also, when your team employs Craig Adams, Brooks Orpik, Matt Cooke, and Chris Kunitz...you really lose any sort of standing on which to deride other teams' players for "dirty play."

And I'm not even counting Captain Nut-Punch.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 23, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The Penguins hand out white t-shirts at the door to get a "white-out".

Caps "red outs" are far more legit.

Posted by: stormblue | March 23, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Pittsburgh sucks

Posted by: rademaar | March 23, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The band video was last year, stupid yinzers.

Posted by: Scott_in_Shaw | March 23, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

i am now dumber for reading that transcript

Posted by: hockeypunk | March 23, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The comparison between Crosby's antics last night and Ovi's hit on Campbell is rather ridiculous. The former is part of the game; the latter needs to be removed from the game.

That being said, the hosts couldn't have proved Boudreau's point any better than by describing Ovi as " flying across the ice, leaving your feet and cross checking a guy into the boards." Talk about regional bias.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 23, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Any Pens fan ALWAYS says that Ovi leaves his feet for a hit. They love to lie about that. It must be programmed into their DNA.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 23, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

i saw a little sucker punch by Crosby hmmmmm

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | March 23, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

"The former is part of the game; the latter needs to be removed from the game."

Cross-Checking your opponent time and time again is part of the game and doesn't need to be removed? And the point wasn't that Crosby's was as bad of a penalty. It was that Crosby's crossing the line antics aren't blown up by the North American media nearly as much as Ovechkin's. Do you really think that if Ovechkin was 3rd man in to a fight and starting duking a guy in the jewels from behind he wouldn't be called immediately to the league office? It would be the front page story on every website for a month. Heck, there is a new story on ESPN tonight on Ovechkin's boarding incident two weeks after the fact. There isn't equitable treatment and there is no sign that there ever will be.

And while we are on the subject, do you think that if Brooks Laich had boarded Sidney Crosby like Craig Adams boarded Ovechkin that Laich would go unpunished? We already know the answer of elbow's to the head by our respective star defensemen (Green vs Gonchar).

Posted by: ouvan59 | March 23, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

I saw howard standing up for his teammate.

my reaction:
"eat glove, b1tch!"

Posted by: j762 | March 23, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I once saw OV fly from blue line to blue line in the air the entire time to put a dirty hit on an opposing player. I thought he was Michael Jordan he was in the air so long. He even had his tongue out like Jordon (or Lightning McQueen, I couldn't tell). And the hit was totally dirty. The hit was so awful I just about spilled my IC Beer.

Posted by: calhokie | March 23, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

This one time at band camp I saw OV fly over the horn section, slice their faces in half with his skates in mid air, elbow slammed the tuba player in the head on the way down, then gingerly walked over to the harp girl and punched her square in the uterus while humming Russian show tunes. It was horrible. He should be banned from hockey.

Signed,

Eevery Canadian citizen on the planet. The end.

Posted by: dcfan1 | March 24, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

Those stories are nothing:

I once saw Ovie high-stick a nun that Crosby was helping cross the street. They were walking to Crosby's charity bus, which Ovie set on fire, killing the orphans and puppies inside.

Posted by: salparadise661 | March 24, 2010 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I love the city of Pittsburgh, I love its sports fans and I have real repect for the penguins. However, I hate the penguins for all the right reasons and the caps v. Pens rivalry is the best in the NHL. But if there is a god, I can't see why crosby's punk ass isn't suspended for that bs. However, I hope he doesn't get suspended until AFTER we get to slap hs ass around tomorrow! LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: papple | March 24, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Those stories are nothing:

Posted by: salparadise661 | March 24, 2010 12:30 AM

You got the story wrong. Typical internet overreaction. Ovechkin didn't set the bus on fire, he pushed it down an exit ramp and cross-checked it into the guard rail.

The bus suffered a broken axle and a disloacted tire. None of the orphans was seriously injured, but one lost a tooth. When reached for comment after the incident, Ovechkin flashed his gap-toothed smile and said, "Now maybe he grow up be strong like me."

The bus could not be reached for comment.

Posted by: Brashnir | March 24, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

When's sweaty Teddy going to open up ticket sales to the 412 and 724 area codes again? What's he afraid of? There were a couple of decades when we were able to get a couple of thousand Pens fans in the Caps barn on a regular basis. Guess he's afraid that it will mess up his sea of red.

Posted by: BlahBlahBlah6 | March 24, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, and I remember just a few years ago when I could get a nice lower-level seat in Dirty Mario's stinkpit for under 10 bucks...

What's your point?

Posted by: buzzardbait | March 24, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey BlahBlahBlah, seeing as how you commented here, I assume that means you know how to operate the internet. If you want to go to a Caps game so bad, go to a resale site (everything is sold out) and you can pay $60 for a nosebleed seat. All the bandwagon fans are making going to Caps games super difficult. I miss being able to pay $18 to get in.

Posted by: futbolclif | March 24, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Green plays drums better then he does on the ice?
Did I read that correctly?

Posted by: cappies | March 24, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

dcfan1, please give me permission to cut and paste your comment on Puck Daddy when those imbecilic commenters on that site start bashing Ovechkin for being "dirty". That was hilarious. I'll credit you, I promise.

Posted by: columbiapike | March 24, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I doubt the Pens will ask the League to put the Caps on the schedule as the 1st game ever at the new arena....they do want to win dont they? (Caps have won 4 straight up there).

It would be nice to trash the night they opened the House that Sidney built though.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 24, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Mark my words one day, someone is going to take a stick.
And give that punk Crosby, a wood shampoo.

Posted by: dashriprock | March 24, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm still not crazy about the OV hit on Campbell, it was avoidable. But, most of OV's incidents take place in-game, in-motion, in-the-mix. The above video shows Crybaby taking cheap shots basically after the buzzer when the puck is not even in the same zone as him. Go back to his attempt on OV, while OV is trying to get on the bench. Suckerpunch off the faceoff anyone?

Posted by: theshawn | March 24, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Crosby is such a pussy. Its so funny to watch him...he cant take it when someone pushes him back. He sits and crosschecks Z'burg nonstop and then doesnt like it when he gets punked by the goalie. I LOVE IT!

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 24, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Boudreau-"It's two teams that know in this conference that they're up near the best, and they fight tooth and nail for every inch".......................

booming Al Pacino)"CAUSE WHEN WE ADD UP ALL THOSE INCHES, IT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WINNING AND LOSING!BETWEEN LIVING AND DYING!!!!!"

Posted by: peabody2 | March 24, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

I love it. Really love it. White t-shirts versus Red jerseys. Hmm. Do we even need to point it out to the Pittsburgh fans, which actual shows more spirit? More support?

What I'd love to do is record Pens fans telling us how bad the Capitals are or how much of a crook Ovi is on the ice, with the videos of Crosby suckerpunching people in the crotch and pulling other players' sweaters over them. Then, record Caps fans telling us how much the Pens s*ck with video of the Caps scoring goal after goal and just schooling the Pens. Now that's art!

Eat it, Pens. We got your number tonight! Let's GOO Caps!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 24, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse