Caps ticket demand, in e-mail form

It's not particularly newsworthy to note that there's a greater demand for Capitals tickets than Wizards tickets at this moment in time, but this e-mail to Pentagon employees from last week perhaps offers an amusing display of the difference.

Washington Capitals Military Night

Pentagon Services was given only 10 (ten) tickets for the Capitals' Military Night on Thursday, 4 March at 7 pm against Tampa Bay. Because we received so few tickets, only the first 5 eligible people in line will be able to purchase these tickets when we open on Friday, 26 Feb at 0900 (limit 2 tickets per person, cost $2 per ticket). To be eligible to purchase these tickets, you must be active duty Air Force assigned to the Pentagon (bring CAC Card if not in uniform). Our tickets are in Section 429, Row K, and regularly sell for $45 each.

Washington Wizards Military Night

The Washington Wizards host their next Military Night on Saturday, 27 March against Utah. Pentagon Services has 100 tickets to this event for $36 each. Our seats are Center Court in Sections 111 & 112, and regularly cost $150.00 each! These tickets go on sale starting Tuesday, 2 March, to our Air Force personnel assigned to the Pentagon. We will limit sales to 4 tickets per person while there is a line waiting. Any tickets remaining after the first day can be sold to any interested customers.

(Also, here's a glimpse at how the local teams' ticket prices compare, which I used in my print story on the Caps' recent ticket hike but never blogged. All numbers via Team Marketing Report.)

The average Nationals ticket cost $30.63 in 2009 (seventh in MLB).

The average Redskins ticket cost $79.13 in 2009 (10th in the NFL).

The average Capitals ticket cost $44.75 this season (21st in the NHL).

The average Wizards ticket cost $27.21 this season (28th in the NBA).

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 1, 2010; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Crosby is Sid Vicious
Next: Rogers: "We finally have a good GM"

Comments

haha come on Dan, where's the impassioned defense of all things 'Zards?? Tell me more about C. Butler's weekend hobbies! Oh wait...

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 1, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the Skins are only 10th? Look for Snyder to fix that soon.

Posted by: EricS2 | March 1, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Ya I wonder who is the most expensive for the NFL? If not Dan who?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 1, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if the average ticket prices listed take into account the additional costs incurred by the season ticket holder, since the Redksins don't just sell those at the ticket counter. How would the teams rank if you take into account the PSL and mandatory parking fees and prorate the cost of the preseason games that are foisted upon the hapless season ticket holder?

Posted by: ELWOOD-BLUES | March 1, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder believes it would be bad marketing to have the most expensive tickets. He believes in the most expensive gameday experience. I'd like to know what the average fan spends at a game, including parking and concessions, at Redskins games compared to other teams rather than the cost for the disciplined few who can walk from Metro and sit on their hands and starve.

Posted by: souldrummer | March 1, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

i just joined the air force.

Posted by: GO583 | March 1, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@souldrummer

As a season ticket holder (used to be a good thing) I drop a average of $2600 a year after all costs. This is low end cost because I pay a little less for parking and walk to the stadium. I also do the majority of my eating and drinking before the game (Occasionally buy a $8 beer in the stadium). I try to recoup the money for Preseason games and I have to collect money from friends in March every year just so I can payoff the tickets.

Of course, every year around October I wonder why? when they are already out of the playoffs.

Posted by: bmillison | March 1, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I find it very, very difficult to beleive that the average Wiz ticket is $27, especially if the best seats are $150 each. That must mean the entire upper deck goes for about $10. And judging how empty the upper deck is on most nights, i know that is not the case.

Posted by: colezig37 | March 1, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Where does DC United stand? I assume they are still some of the higher priced tickets in the league.

Posted by: sitruc | March 1, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Are these season ticket holder prices? Because there's no way I'm buying a Caps ticket for $45 these days. Don't they _start_ at 50 bucks?

Posted by: Incredulous2 | March 2, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse