Carlos Rogers critiques Redskins' draft strategy

Carlos Rogers' frustration with his employers has been well-documented this week, from telling Jason Reid he wants "a fresh start" to telling Chris Russell that several guys on the defense played out of position last season.

With Rogers already miffed about his recent tendering, you knew his Thursday appearance with LaVar and Dukes would likely not be 15 minutes of hope, good cheer and optimism. So let's bear all that in mind before jumping into his quotes. The hosts--exactly as they should have--attempted to get Rogers to unleash his frustrations, and he largely complied, although he also said he will attempt to make things work here in Washington and has heard nothing but good things about Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen.

To me, his most interesting comments actually didn't touch on free agency, but rather on the draft, and how Washington will approach its needs. He was asked by LaVar whether he believes the new regime has changed the franchise's approach, and he said it was too soon to say.

"I guess we have to wait and see," Rogers said. "The draft's coming up. We know our needs of the team. We know it starts with the O-line and D-line. Is that our priority to go get, since I know we haven't [drafted linemen] since I've been there. We've got the same O-line, we brought in different guys on the D-line, but it starts in the trenches, and I haven't seen where we improved from that. And we know that's been our problem every year, so I guess we'll see.

"If we go out and we take a quarterback, okay, what's our O-line? That next quarterback's still gonna get hit. He's still gonna get beat up. Is there an improvement? I don't know, I can't say right now. I guess we'll see coming up in the draft, we'll see the changes we've made."

Rogers said he believes certain players get preferential treatment from the front office, but he seemed most upset about the team pursuing unrestricted free agents without rewarding its restricted veterans. From a business standpoint, virtually anyone would side with the team on this one, except if and when morale becomes a serious issue.

"Hearing that they're not spending no money on us, they're just going with all the unrestricted [free agents], it's like out of all the money that you put here, that's what you get?" Rogers asked. "You don't get nothing? Not even saying nothing negative about all our players, but we spend $100 million there, we spend $50 [million] there. They're going out in free agency, trying to get some more players, spending all this money there, but what about the players that have been busting their butts since day one?

"Coming off injury, when you think I'm not gonna be in there, and I go out the first game and I'm your starter....I'm on y'all number one receivers, shutting them down. So it's like, through all the stuff that you do, how you all show that y'all appreciate them? By tendering them? That's your way? There's so much negative stuff you think, but at the end of the day I guess you can't control it."

One final question concerned Albert Haynesworth, his ginormous contract, and whether all the dollar bills floating around there cause resentment. Rogers seemed to say both yes and no; that no one represented or disliked Haynesworth in particular, but that players who don't feel properly rewarded can't help but notice.

"It's frustrating, because it's like what do y'all do to take care of the guys that's here, that has been doing this for you?" Rogers asked. "If you don't want them here, let 'em go. That's how I feel about it. Now what about these guys that y'all bring in that played in another system, they might not fit in our system? You look at high-profile guys, you look at a corner that's playing in Chicago or the Colts. We know they only play Cover-2, so you put 'em in a system where you're playing man-to-man and they don't excel, you're wasting money.

"So I think going after high-profile guys is good, but when you've got a chemistry there and you've got something going and you break it up when it's not really a need, that's really not helping us. And I think that's what we do, we always went outside of what we've got, not staying and protecting the guys we've got, we brought in somebody new.

"With Haynesworth, shoot, if they gave me $100 million I wouldn't complain either. I can't hate on none of that. You got it, congratulations, is the next man gonna get it too? I don't got no problem with what he do....I just want two of 'em, just give me two of 'em, just say you want me there for another year or something. But to reward him, no. Any other guy, they need to go get it. Go get your money while you can. If they gave me $100 million, shoot, I'm gonna take it."

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 4, 2010; 3:31 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps game ops has crazy day
Next: More College Park confrontation footage

Comments

First......to tell #22 to STFU w/ his dillusional a**! Somebody ask this clown is he worth the 1st rd pick we spent to get his sorry a**! "CONCRETE HANDS"

Posted by: delfranklin4 | March 4, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Does Carlos Rogers think he's Darrell Green?

If you compare them after five seasons, Darrell Green has 11 more interceptions (17-6) and twice as many tackles (399-205.)

I say adjust for inflation and pay Carlos Rogers around half of Darrell Green's salary with a contract clause that says "shut up, play, and buy some stickum."

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 4, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Putting attitudes concerning Carlos' game aside, his criticism of the Redskins approach in the past is the truth.

Posted by: noluvdr | March 4, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

carlos is really starting to get on my nerves with all of his offseason talk. 'i want a fresh start somewhere else.' 'i bit on a few double moves, so what?'

he needs to STFU and not complain publically to the media. he feels entitled to be a starter just because he was a first rounder pick. he should be criticizing the redskins for drafting HIM in the top 10

Posted by: redskinsfan3 | March 4, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

TOTALLY AGREE W/ ALL OF Y'ALL!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | March 4, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

What an absolute moron. And let me chime in with the rest of you guys to tell Rogers to kindly STFU.

Seriously his argument makes no sense. I understand him wanting to get paid more. But its not incumbent on the Redskins to go out and pay our existing players more money whether they deserve it or not. You sign a contract, you play out your contract, and when its your turn for a new contract you have a chance to get paid. Quit your crying, you big baby.

Posted by: jva1 | March 4, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Carlos in case you missed it:

4-12

Bye-bye!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Everybody needs to stop shooting the messanger. He's basically telling it for what it is. Why should he keep his mouth shut when he has to play for The Daniel? The man's a joke. I'd be pissed as well.

It's laughable to hear some say his argument make's no sense. I'd say it makes perfect sense. All of these guys in the NFL are talented and in the league for a reason. There's no sense of a team (most likely for the reason's he's saying) because the Redskins go out and overpay people who haven't done anythign to earn it WITH the franchise. Great, let's go out and blow a ton of money on another player who's 30+ years of age. Give me a break.

The Redskins have the right to do this per the current rules, but the man has the right to speak his mind and the truth.

Please don't go and take The Daniel's side on this one.

Posted by: whoyawith | March 4, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody needs to stop shooting the messanger."

Carlos wants paid and is crying about it.

He's not the only guy in the NFL going through it. If he wants to yell, he should yell at the players union.

It's not about the Redskins, it's about Carlos. It's all about Carlos.

Hey Carlos:

4-12

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 4, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Carlos....catch an actual int...and maybe you'd have a right to whine.....

Jeez....never seen a CB be in the right place at the right time and still drop the ball to the ground.

God I hope the REDSKINS pickup a FA CB of the tons available (even Cromartie who doesn't hit) and move ROgers to nickel.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | March 4, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe Rogers. He has rarely been healthy enough to play and rarely makes the big plays ever since his early years. He should just be happy to have a job. Average player are a dime a dozen.

Posted by: Skins4Life73 | March 4, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

There was no one EVER before like Darrel Green. It is highly unlikely there will ever be another football player like Darrel Green. Hey, they guy did a 4.3 40 at fifty years old!!! You're asking Rogers to be Green? That's pretty unfair. Judge him based on his peers. Do you really believe that DeAngelo Hall played all that much better? Apparently, the Redskins new FO are solid judges of talent ... they did tender him.

Posted by: periculum | March 4, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

yup,
reading "los" is almost worse than listening to him. he's gotta be one of the dumbest guys on the team if not NFL; if I'm Alahan I'm looking at this fool like, "trade bait". only thing is he is a starter and we need 2 starting CB's. Remember when secondary was a strength, now it's a glaring weakness. Hall can't tackle, Smoot's gone, and Rogers, though I'd love to see him gone is a necessary evil.
I wonder if he ever realizes that he almost all alone has cost the team 2 or 3 wins PER YEAR!!!

Posted by: jbrady84 | March 4, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Carlos needs to shut his mouth. We needed to tender him in case someone is dumb enough to want to trade for him we could at least get something out of him....

Truthfully he should be the last one complaining since he has already made more money on his rookie contract than he ever deserved. He has been stealing from us for years.

Furthermore he needs to stop quote $100 million for Haynesworth that contract was a 4 year contract for about 40 million...he has a couple of years at the end of the contract with 30 million a year salary that he is never going to see.

BTW let's at least wait until the new front office signs someone or gets through the draft before we criticize their approach because otherwise it is just pointless speculation as to what they are going to do.

Posted by: guinness4health | March 4, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

4.3 40 at fifty? Or do you mean forty?

I don't think Darrel Green is quite fifty years old, never mind running a 4.3 40 at that age.

Your joking of course.

Posted by: 72Redskins | March 4, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

CR#22 has no leg to stand on. He claims to be a #1 corner but has not produced like a #1 corner. His stats and production have landed him in this position. It's always managements fault, not the fact that he's not producing on the field and hasn't done anything to get better. Then he starts talking offense......... what about the fact that the defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down, couldn't produce turnovers, or couldn't even put pressure on the QB. People don't want to admit it, but a lot of AC#99 and BO#98 production was the result of Fat Albert. When what you have isn't producing why not look elsewhere.

Posted by: I_95 | March 4, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Darrell Green is 50 and yes he does still run a 4.3 forty

Posted by: I_95 | March 4, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Rogers has been running his fat mouth every since last season. I wish he would shut his whole. I'm sure other guys on the team feel the same way. You don't hear them yapping either.

Posted by: dcwizard | March 4, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins were the last team to integrate. They're a thoroughly Republican organization.

Posted by: nadeemsx | March 5, 2010 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Right on Carlos!!! Tell it like it is! How dare Redskins management not take care of their own players. Where else are they going to go out and find the talent to go 4-12? We've got to lock up what we have so nobody steals that awesomeness. We can't have Rogers dropping INTs for some other team. That wouldn't be right.

Posted by: calhokie | March 5, 2010 2:02 AM | Report abuse

"From a business standpoint, virtually anyone would side with the team on this one, except if and when morale becomes a serious issue."

When there's a cap, that makes some sense. When you don't have deep pockets, that makes some sense.

In an uncapped year with money to spend, however, Snyder had better reward vets (huge first year salaries should be the rule this year; you can give anyone as large a signing bonus as you want by calling it paragraph 5 salary), sign a ton of experienced vets a la JKC, and grab every interesting FA with potential.

This is Snyder's year. If he *doesn't* lose money on the team this year, I'll be PO'd. This is his one opportunity to honestly buy a good team -- by buying depth.

Posted by: WorstSeat | March 5, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse