Cartwright: Redskins "like to sell names"

Rock Cartwright has long been one of the most outspoken Redskins, both about the state of the franchise and the performance of his teammates. It figured, then, that some of his first public comments after finally being released by the team would be worth a listen. Sure enough.

Not long after he learned he was being released, Cartwright appeared on 106.7 The Fan with LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes. He was realistic about the business, saying he was "expecting the unexpected all the time" and will just move on to his next stop, but he didn't shy away when asked whether it's been hard to see the team's pursuit of free-agency loot.

"I mean, it's very frustrating when you go out there and you bust your tail day in and day out," Cartwright said. "You've been there and you've been consistent and you've been one of the guys, one of the core Redskins guys, and then they bring all these guys in and give them lucrative deals. And you're standing there, you're struggling -- not really to make ends meet -- but you're struggling because they never really took care of you.

"They never really took care of the guys that put all the hard work in, worked every day, practiced every day. I remember there were times when there wasn't nobody practicing but Ladell Betts and I, because CP didn't want to practice. So it was just Ladell Betts and I practicing day in and day out. And then they expect you to go out and perform on Sunday, and when you do go out and perform on Sunday, they never reward you.

"So it's very difficult, but that's how the business goes. I was a 7th-round draft pick, so they just labeled me as a special teams guy. And I know I'm a lot more valuable than that. I think I'm very versatile and I think I can do more than just return kicks....It's just part of the business. It gets frustrating, but there's nothing you can really do about it but accept it."

Cartwright hasn't been shy about discussing different standards for superstars in the past, so Dukes followed up by asking him about his relationship with Portis.

"Me and CP had a decent relationship," Cartwright. "For the most part we talked every day. I mean, there were times that we did get into it, simply because he didn't want to practice. And I mentioned it to him, he said that his legs was hurting, and I said You don't think our legs hurting? By him not practicing, that put more load on us, so we had to go do extra to try to be ready or Sunday. So I think that kind of takes a toll on your body.

"But what people don't realize is that the Redskins, they like to sell jerseys," Cartwright continued. "They're [into] big names, they like to sell names and do those type of things. So when you have that going on, then there's nothing you can really do. I'm not a big-name guy, I'm not a high-profile athlete, I don't sell jerseys, so of course they want to have the guys around that's gonna make the money for them."

Dukes then asked whether Cartwright believed that was a primary reason for his release while Portis remained, but at this he sort of backed off.

"Well you guys have to realize, CP's money has been guaranteed," Cartwright said. "So if they released him anyway, they're still gonna have to pay him. I mean, his money was guaranteed, so he's gonna be there regardless. If he's not there, he's still gonna get a paycheck. So it's kind of like a Catch-22; what can you do with him? He's a great running back, I'm not taking nothing from him. I think he still has something left in the tank.

"I'm a firm believer, whatever you put in something, that's what you get out of it. If you don't put nothing in, you're not gonna get nothing out of it."

Cartwright did say a few times how much he enjoyed being in Washington and playing for the Redskins, and how hard it would be to leave.

"Just by talking about it, now even knowing that I'm not gonna be a part of the Redskins gives me chills," he said. "Because I really dedicated everything I have, not only to the city -- to the organization, to the community, all of that. It definitely hurts. I just get chills thinking about it. It is the end of one chapter, but hopefully it's the beginning to a new chapter, to something that's special."

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 4, 2010; 6:54 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How Vasquez celebrated the Duke win
Next: A new day for D.C. sports

Comments

Got mad respect for you, Rock. Just wish you would've taken the high road going out, and not expressed so much bitterness. But, I honestly understand where you're coming from. Good luck to you. Definitely one of my faves.

Posted by: delfranklin4 | March 4, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

A player like Rock would not even have got a shot on most NFL teams. He should consider himself very lucky. Most regular people would have loved to make the money he made over the last nine years. People work pretty hard outside the world of pro football, and get paid barely anything. Check ya later Rock. You were not that good.

Posted by: astrober1 | March 4, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Cartwright needs to take his overpaid, under performing, self and be thankful his bank account is as padded as it is. He has basically robbed the Skins without a gun for years. This is already the best off season the Skins have had getting rid of him, Randle El and Smoot!

Good RIDDANCE and don't look back you won't be missed!

Posted by: bulldawz1 | March 4, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

The winds of change are blowing!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 4, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow - comments are night and day between him and Ladell...Ladell came off as a classy dude and while I can understand Rock being mad, it isn't going to change anything...

Posted by: authorofpoetry | March 4, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

You know, I used to think that Vinny used to come on here and post the company line and bash other players after they got released. But now I know that wasn't the case. It's all Larry Michael, the minister of public enlightenment and propaganda. Who else would do this?

Rock Cartwright was pretty much one of the few players with heart out there game in and game out. Only Larry would come on here and bash him as he exits.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | March 4, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

Getting dropped from a team has to be tough because of the message involved, which essentially is "you're not worth it any more". But guess what, it's happening all over the country right now! Every business is the same ... the minute they're better off without you than with you, you're toast. If you believe otherwise, you're living in a dream world. Whine if you want, and complain that you've not been "taken care of" (really?), but all it does is diminish you. Working hard is nice and being outspoken has its value, but in the end all that really counts is PERFORMANCE! If you had run a few more kickoffs back, even just far enough to get good field position, or maybe broken just one of those runs you had last year for a TD, you're still around.

Posted by: Rational_Man | March 4, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Rock...you are not that good! You play hard, but when you tested the waters of free agency last year, no one wanted you. We all know how CP is and I agree, but take the high road!

C'MON MAN!

Posted by: rickyroge | March 4, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't care who the Redskins release, just so long as they keep JC17 and CP26 on the roster forever. These two are the heart and soul of the team -- and could singlehandedly fill the stadiums with hundreds of thousands of adoring fans all ready to drop hundreds and thousands of dollars just to bask in their glory.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 4, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I understand Rocks comments and frustration. I honestly don't fault him for having this feelings or comments, however I would like to ask him why did he stay here for so long if he felt he deserved more? I mean really, when his first contract was up why didn't he walk? if he felt he was better than other players I'm sure another team would have picked him up and he could have played with another team. I think we all know the answer to that question and that is, nothing in the NFL is guaranteed! This is a performance based business like all others. If you produce you get rewarded, if you don't you get let go. There is always another young lion waiting to knock off the old patriarch at anytime and that young lion happened to be named Devin Thomas. Additionally, the team is making moves and trying to rebuild and start fresh. Most of the guys released were over 30 and banged up or not producing. I can say this, and I think all of you would agree, if he was a stud return man, this would not have happened. I think we all can agree with that, but now here we are in 2010 and there are more than a few guys in the draft waiting to get that chance, ie C.J. Spiller and the others, so why no release guys and get younger and less injured? I like Rock and I am glad he had the chance to play for us and do well, but ... IF YOU DON"T PRODUCE YOU GET KICKED IN THE CABOOSE!!!

Besides, his bank account has been doing well and he should really have very little to complain about when many a team would have never even gave him a second look.

I wish you well Rock. If you make it to another team, good for you, if not, you can't bee that mad cause you have quite a few zeros behind that first number in your bank account buddy.

Posted by: ajb1094 | March 4, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

All I can say is Rock you gave it your all, you have a lot of heart, more heart than talent and you made the most of your opportunity as a Redskin. Good luck in the future and God Bless.

Posted by: 72Redskins | March 4, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Struggling.... LOL!!!

Posted by: LaureninGlenBurnie | March 4, 2010 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I do have to say though that Rock is spot on in a lot of what he said and I do respect what he has given to the team. Just quit the "struggling" angle. It doesn't work with people in the real world....

Posted by: LaureninGlenBurnie | March 4, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Lauren! I am surprised it took this long for someone to catch on that he said he was struggling.

I agree with most of what he said about the organization, but it's insulting to say you're struggling when making an NFL salary. Try taking an 80% paycut and learn what struggling really is.....good riddance. You're the Colt Brennan/Marcus Mason of return guys, only loved by the few who don't understand.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | March 4, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Really, Cartwright? Having trouble making ends meet?! Wow. Just, wow.

bye.

Posted by: hallmt18 | March 4, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Man, I can't recall ANY team that's had this many dysfunctional characters on it. It's friggin' embarrassing and laughable to listen to all the pouting and carping from people who only work six months a year, and generally make more in one or two seasons than many of us might earn in a lifetime. But I'll give Rock points for nailing one obvious truth to the wall: Snyder-owned-and-led management is more concerned with paying big money for known names and charging fans out the yin-yang to view the goods, than they are of actually filling seats by constructing a winning club. I hope to hell that Snyder was sincere with Shanahan when he gave him personnel autonomy; Shanahan impresses me as a guy who'd kick in Snyder's office door and carve him a new digestive orifice if another overpaid burnout suddenly showed up in uniform at training camp one day.

Posted by: ericenderle | March 4, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

He is just giving us the in side scoop on how bad Snyder and Cerrato where to this team and how they where close to destroying our beloved franchise. This just makes me firmly believe i still want Snyder gone because what if things dont work out Shanahan team struggles goes 2-5 and Snyder panics like he always does

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | March 4, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@hallmt18 | March 4, 2010 8:57 PM

Can you read? Rock specifically said he's NOT struggling to make ends meet.

And can you write? As in, do better than "wow, just wow".

Posted by: spunkydawg1 | March 4, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I understand how the guy feels. He had genuine love for the team, town and community. But you have to learn, buddy, that you don't burn you bridges by whining your way out of town. All sour grapes make are vinegar.

Posted by: bg1fan | March 4, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

most if not all of these guys will never get picked up by another team ---just shows you how awful the skins deteriorated under ceRATto --- but there's 43 more guys to get rid of -- when does that phase begin?

Posted by: bestmick1 | March 4, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

RIGHT ON ROCK!! Portbelly needs to be exposed for the inept, lazy, self-important, uneducated, vastly overpaid and immensely overrated LOSER he is!! F all the noise you heard here, you are right on point, man!!

The clueless arthropod who gave CP this totally inappropriate contract should be, tarred, feathered AND beheaded!!

Posted by: iubiquity | March 4, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I liked Rock.
But I disagree with hi parting shots about the team, thou on Portis, hes 100% correct.

However, Cartwright got paid real well for allot of years.

Cartwright, was never good enough to be any thing more than what he was, a excellent special teams player and a No#3 back at best.

I wish Rock well !

Posted by: dashriprock | March 5, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Well I will back Rock up. He is spot on about us being a jersey selling team. No one ever seems to give the hard-working intangible guys credit. Rock and Betts among certain others were some of the few bright spots in this franchise. No, he was not a great player, but I would rather have him starting at RB than CP (cough DONE cough DONE). I think everyone is looking at the money he made and thinking he should not complain. But come on everyone, you know this organization goes out of its way to play favorites to guys who frankly do not deserve it. How can the hard workers like Rock not get upset. In my mind this franchise fully deserves ANY shots fired its way from anyone. This is one of the most pathetic franchises in the NFL led by a despicable owner. The franchise has a LONG way to go before it deserves any kind of respect (hiring a new coach and GM, who could still end up being Danny puppets, and cutting some dead-weight is not enough).

Posted by: mcgratsp | March 5, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Redskin fans know exactly what your talking about Rock.Selling Pink Jerseys in the Redskin Store is all that matters.Its a team of overhyped and overpaid players who don't perform up to their contracts. The Redskins are a girls night out popularity contest. Not a Football Team.Pathetic, sums up the last 10 years of Dan Snyder. Somebody slap that fruitcake and his pink jersey wearing A**.

Posted by: keithamcgregor | March 5, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Rock IS a Rock, and was one of my fav players. If I thought it worth the money, i'da bought a Cartwright jersey. Got better things to spend my money, sorry.

Posted by: bbirdy202 | March 5, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Todays athletes = Void reality

Posted by: hessone | March 5, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Yo Rock,

It's a Biness man it's all Biness you understand. Now take you ball and leave.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 5, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse

Hay Rock , what was it that made you feel you deserved more ? I never heard or read any where that your play on Sunday changed to score . You were a worker that came in everyday and did what you were told to do. There was no surprises . There was a reason why Portis get paid something different from you . If you did not like it here you should have ask to move on. Funny how you and other redskins now have something to say. You and the others I refereed to are the reason why we have sucked for so long . That has changed BA & MS have seen enough. You , Snoot , Rodgers and others that have been here for 3-5 years have stunk this place up . But its not all your fault though . I blame Vinny Zorn , Gibbs , Turner for allowing less then top notch players such as your self to remain !

Posted by: terryreece | March 5, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Funkey says - BOYCOTT $NYDER!

Posted by: hessone | March 5, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

This man needs a reality check. Struggling? You're gonna say that to US? When you check out of the NFL for good, that is when you might learn about struggling. I am sick and tired of these pampered athletes like this special-teamer Cartwright whining about getting market value. If you are so good, no doubt another club will pay you a boatload. If not, then shut your pie-hole.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 5, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

What has he said here that is so offensive? I don't mind the guy speaking his mind, and I don't think anything he's said indicates a lack of class.

The guy left everything out there on the field. I wish him the best.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 5, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

"Todays athletes = Void reality"

Yeah, no kidding. Wait until he has to get a REAL job. And for that matter if he was any good then he'll get one somewhere else right?

Hey Rock:

4-12

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 5, 2010 8:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iubiquity

That person would be Joe Gibbs.
I loved Rock's attitude and effort but the bottom line is pro sports is results and Rock simply didn't produce enough of them.

Posted by: largetony86 | March 5, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

LOL @ his comments about 'struggling'...please.

Posted by: wallacea | March 5, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

Good luck, Rock! Go the path of other bitter ex-Redskins and join another NFC East so you can sock it to the Redskins at least twice a year. As things change, they remain the same.

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 5, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

The guy left everything on the field...only trouble is, there wasn't much to leave. Rock's position is that he is owed a LOT of money and a job because he practices well. Now let's make the release someone else's fault. Hope you banked a lot of your money.

Posted by: Justlistening | March 5, 2010 8:35 AM | Report abuse

Rock tells it like it is and pretty much sums up why this team has become a laughing stock over the last 10 years. Thank you for all you did in Washington, Rock!

Posted by: stwasm | March 5, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

How many times have we seen "the rock" receive a kickoff, run 10-15 yards into a pile and then drop on a dime. C'mon!!! even as a kick returner he wasn't all that good. He didn't have dynamic speed. I'd rather see a young kid with fresh legs given a chance. Football isn't like gov't, it's not a job for life.

Plus i'm SURE portis would be out on his @ss as well if that money weren't guaranteed, so don't take it too personal. ALL of the runningbacks (including you rock) would get booted if Shanahan and Allen had their choice.

Posted by: massiveBrains | March 5, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I can only imagine what a struggle it must be to get by on just $952K a year. Perhaps we should take up a collection for you and the other nine millionaires now on the unemployment line. Try to bear up, big guy.

Posted by: truke | March 5, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like sour grapes from someone who, despite all his alleged hard work, could never crack higher than #3 on the depth chart.

Rock, you were let go because you weren't that good and weren't worth the money. I agree that Snyder and Vinny are/were inept, but Vinny is gone, and we can't fire Snyder. You just sound bitter.

Prepare to find out exactly how much you are worth.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 5, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Can you folks not read?

Cartwright never said he was struggling financially. In fact, he said "...struggling - not really to make ends meet - but you're struggling because they never really took care of you." By "take care of", I am assuming he meant he never felt like the FO gave as much to him as he gave to them.

Naive? Probably, because it's business. But don't slam him for things he didn't say.

Posted by: gburgKB | March 5, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

If you actually listened to the interview, he was not bitter.... he actually told it like it was. Everyone knows that CP got lazy and did not put the work in. He was actually telling the truth. I actually listened to every guy they had on that got cut and all of them seemed thankful for the opportunity and was ready to move on.

Posted by: rvanags | March 5, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

It's amazing when a barely fringe player who could have been replaced by a rookie RB any year of his carreer for half the price with potentiall more production feels "sold out" when his time fianlly comes. The real problem is they didn't dump him years ago. The kick returning running back/wide receiver position should be one where you are evaluating a player to become a full time player at his other position. Evey few years you get a new one and hope he develops into a starter. Not a guy you know can never do anything but return kicks. Roster spots are too valuable to have a guy that can only do one thing. Noone has ever said poor Rock should be the starting RB, so he shold be gone. Aldredge should be returning kicks while he is also the change of pace speed back that we have needed for years. Portis probably will stay and be the featured back unless we draft one high and Sellers is the FB. No place for the Rock.

Good bye ans good luck Rock, and thank you for being a good employee, but you got paid very well for many years longer than you would have gotten anywhere else. People should learn to say no comment for a week or so after things like this happen to reflect on the situation after the shock wears off before saying stupid things.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | March 5, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Every successfully team has a member, a Cartwright, that does all the small things well, provides the glue that brings others together, and carries the load without fanfare.

Guys like Cartwright are only missed when they are gone.

Hopefully, Rock left his work ethic and (pre-release) attitude in Portis' locker.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 5, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Good Job Rock. You got paid fairly for your services. Time for a younger guy to take your place.

Posted by: jercha | March 5, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I don't see why there's any type of controversy in what he said. He's not wrong. The Redskins, for the past 10 years at least, have ALWAYS valued the players at the glamour positions that sell jerseys. The backups, special team guys, and non glamour position players have perennially gotten the shaft by management. I would feel exactly the same way that he does, knowing that he worked his ass off for 10 years and gets cut while a lazy owners pet continues to recieve a paycheck.

That being said, from a financial and football standpoint, it was absolutely the right move. Rock is entirely replaceable. Running backs, especially special teams experts who have never been able to carry a full load, are a dime a dozen.

Posted by: jbanks979 | March 5, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Rock was a good Redskin. What he lacked in talent he made home for with hard work and I know personally he did a lot for our community as well. He lived here locally and was just an overall good guy. He's not happy losing his job (is anyone?) and giving us some insight because he was asked and "the veil has been lifted" so to speak. Can't hate him for being honest and wish him the best of luck!

Posted by: localdcfan84 | March 5, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Rock, I love ya...you are cut from the B-Mitch cloth when it comes to speaking your mind. But B-Mitch is a future HOF and even that status and his play/stats couldn't save him from Snyder's wrath.

Follow the pattern of 'core Skins' or 'Former Greats' and you'll see that most (besides those currently employed by Snyder with the exception being Doc Walker) are critical of Snyder and are persona-non-grata at Skins Park and Fedex. Riggo was the company man cheerleader til Snyder canned him, then he turned loudest critic while Theismann picked up that baton and now runs with it. The Danny just does not tolerate being bashed by anyone who played or coached for the Franchise.

You had to know it would end this way

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 5, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I don't know that anyone disagrees with what he's saying.

It's really just that he's saying it at all. There's no need for it, we all know it's true. Saying it now, he just comes off as a Bitter Betty.

His statements are just as accurate as saying that he was a fair-to-middling 3rd string RB who was making too much money and easily replaceable.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 5, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Please ROCK.

You are to short, to slow and been consistent at what.

Its about time this damn team gets rid of the old washed up players.

When was the last time you returned a kickoff? Two years ago?

Did you even have a TD returning last year?

Its due time for you to go.

Watch - guarantee you go somewhere else and DO NOTHING!

Good riddens- your done.

Posted by: pstate11 | March 5, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

I loved Rock's attitude, but they did the right thing by releasing him. If the Redskins were so unjust to him, then he should be able to go out and get a job easily and for more money. Good luck on that.

Posted by: sruppert | March 5, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Good Luck Rock... You were simply 1 of the best we had to give it your all... I hope you get picked up by another team.

Posted by: scoopluv8 | March 5, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Lets see...Ladell was handling his release with class because he can probably get picked up by another team for some decent money...Rock handled his release with bitterness because he is NOT gonna get picked up by another team...I loved Rock with the Skins but he should understand its a business and when your team loses all the time, players get cut...especially players who have been with the team for all the losing seasons

Posted by: kickass10101 | March 5, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Man... Redskins fans are the most deluded people I have ever met, outside of maybe Red Sox fans.

Snyder has been scamming the fans for years, and bringing in Bruce Allen and Shanahan is just another smokescreen to get the fans to renew their tickets for another four years of mediocre football. Sure, Gibbs WILLED them into the playoffs twice, sometimes in spite of himself.

You build a team from the inside out, lines, role players, and then once there is a nucleus draft the franchise guys or bring in a game changers. Going into the uncapped year, Snyder plans to keep the same formula of forking over 80% of the cash to 8 or 9 skill players to sell the brand and hope everybody else busts their ass for him.

Posted by: deacondrake | March 5, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Yes, Rock sounds like an idiot for using the word "struggling." But don't let that overwhelm the message. The guy's 100% spot on. Here it is in one simple sentence -- "But what people don't realize is that the Redskins, they like to sell jerseys."

Actually, Rock, some of us do get it. Which is why we don't go to the games anymore, why we root for the team at home, watching on TV, which is why we don't want to get ripped off by a P.O.S. owner that is more interested in his bottom line than in winning.

So yes, Rock. Some of us get. Frankly, I don't understand why you're whining. Go play somewhere else where their isn't dysfunction and idiocy. Good luck to you.

Posted by: VeloStrummer | March 5, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

See ya Rock Cartwright that's a nasty name.
TAKE THE HIGH ROAD!

Poot the NFL big pimps. To all you idoits that thank Players are over paid.

YOU TRY PLAYING PRO FOOTBALL! YOU WON'T LAST A DAY.
SO SHUT UP!

Posted by: shamken | March 5, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Playing in the NFL is like sales...hit your quota or get fired.

Redskins missed quota too many years....dont cry when you get let go...

Posted by: SA-Town | March 5, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Man, the bitterness some throw because the man speaks out. I see nothing wrong in his comments. His "struggling" comment was clearly about not getting "PAID big money"...and I'm NOT defending this. But I cannot understand how bitter and angry people get over his comments. Every player out there is looking to get "PAID!"...just like everyone of us if we were out there.

And nothing wrong about him speaking up about CP's work ethic. There has been so much written about this from so many sources that it's a no-brainer that CP expects and demands special treatment and regards himself superior to his teammates as to when and how he will contribute to the team.

I find in enlightening that players will open up and speak more honestly and openly than the same canned and contrived answers. No hard words here for Rock and I sincerely appreciate his work ethic, his dedication as a Redskin, and being open, honest, and forthright. It's a refreshng approach and nothing, as I see it, for so many to get themselves in a tizzy.

Posted by: BigDeck | March 5, 2010 11:26 AM | Report abuse

That team had crap for talent. They need to cut more of these guys that are on a sorry ass team and feel entitled to everything. Hey Rock, if you want to be taken care of, figure out how to win games.

Posted by: stabit | March 5, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: iubiquity

That person would be Joe Gibbs.

Posted by: largetony86

WRONG! Gibbs brought him here but did not give this slouch this guaranteed 7 mil giveaway!

Posted by: iubiquity | March 5, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Rock, your really hurting. Try living on my 25 Grand a year. As*Hole!!!

Posted by: diamond_jim | March 5, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

What he says about busting his tail for an average NFL salary when the GENIUS hires hugely expensive NFL names is a bummer. Bummer for those guys who work hard and have to put up with mega million 'starts'. It would kill morale to have to play with some guy who wears a silk lined jock strap, especially when their performance is nothing to write home about (Portis).

Posted by: atidwell | March 5, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Cartwight is upset at what happened BEFORE Shanahan arrived here.

It's not Mike's fault that Cartwright saw guys get paid for loafing around just taking their money and doing nothing.

That's at an end here.

Unfortunately for Rock at age 31, he is simply an 'old' running back whose numbers on specials teams are decent but not outstanding.

He and Betts got paid here for 8 years.

So, it's not like they were made to suffer without recourse.

What are the chances Rock would have lasted 8 years in New England or Philly or San Diego or Indy?

Posted by: leopard09 | March 5, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse