Crosby is Sid Vicious

There's a fine argument to be made that early Olympic losses will benefit the Caps' stars by keeping them hungry and healthy. Logic aside, though, plenty of D.C. hockey fans were hoping to see star turns and medals for the local fellows, in addition to glorious American triumphs.

In other words, if you had to draw up a pre-Olympic nightmare scenario from that point of view, it would be something like the Russians failing to medal, the Swedes failing to medal, the Czechs failing to medal, the Mike Green-less Canadians taking gold, and Team Canada doing so with an overtime game-winner over the U.S. courtesy of Sidney Crosby.

I don't think I'm exaggerating. Barring injury or an almost unfathomable preliminary round knockout, these Olympics became the absolute nightmare scenario for Caps fans.

As far as consolation, there's that hunger I noted above. And also today's New York tabloid headlines. Those made me feel a little better.

(Via William F. Yurasko)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 1, 2010; 9:41 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Luke Scott's Gilbert Arenas moment
Next: Caps ticket demand, in e-mail form

Comments

Meh. Don't be such a player hater and give credit where it's due.

Posted by: DadRyan | March 1, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow, no snarky language that usually hides pent up anger/insecurities about Sid. Well done Dan.

Posted by: popopo | March 1, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I'm just happy this isn't about the Wizards.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 1, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

ew

Posted by: hockeypunk | March 1, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Crosby looks like he is taking a dump in that photo. What a wuss that guy is.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 1, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

"Crosby looks like he is taking a dump in that photo. What a wuss that guy is."

That is an intelligent and mature analysis, and shows that in no way are you twelve and/or have only been "rockin' the red" since 2008.

Posted by: RoachVA141 | March 1, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Meh, five seconds after Crosby scored I had already flipped over to watch the end of the NASCAR race. Oh damn, Jimmy Johnson won that race. Talk about a crappy sports weekend.

Posted by: LouLewis | March 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Of course, now we may be able to get more Americans on the anti-Crosby bandwagon.

Posted by: tegularius | March 1, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Now all he has to do is have his girlfriend Nancy die*, and then die himself from a drug overdose ... and then the 2010 Hockey team can reunite in 25 years for a cash grab tour .... and then a PIL reunion ....

* Was it murder? We may never know.

Posted by: M__N | March 1, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I believe that Ovechkin and the Caps must feel the lowest before achieving the highest rewards. By seeing Crosby achieve all the accolades, including the Stanley Cup and Olympic Gold, Ovechkin and company can either grow or regress. Either way, there should be a different team playing in the future, and not just a team that thinks it is "entitled". Besides, by being eliminated early in the medal rounds, the Capital "Olympians" are fresh, healthy and hungry. Not sure if "Sid Viscus" still has the "Phlem" to rally himself for another Cup run. After all, his team mates can only stand the "Gloating" for so long, especially Malkin and Gonchar.

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 1, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Sid Vicious vs. D.C. Jealous

Should be fun!

Posted by: caphcky | March 1, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I dunno Pens fans -- he beat OUR American team. You wanna go and love on him for that, great. We were talking before the Olympics about how we hoped Team USA would beat Russia 12-11 (with 11 goals for OV, of course).

I think any Crosby fans at this point are just not-so-secret America haters (just kidding, sort of).

Posted by: jjhare | March 1, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Were you paid for this blog post? Whatta waste...

Posted by: LonnieBeale1 | March 1, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

crosby's still a girl. let him take a hit from Ovie and see who stays on their feet. Hate that guy. Everyone forgets that he has better players making him look good.

Posted by: tony28 | March 1, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

JJHare - that comment might be the lowest blow I've seen since Ovechkin's latest knee to knee hit. Band-wagon Caps "fans" challenging my patriotism. Band-wagoners who don't know the first thing about real hockey, and can't appreciate that yesterday's game was HISTORIC. I'm a huge Sid fan, but my jersey was hanging in the closet while I was rooting for USA, including the group game against Canada. If the US had to lose, I was glad it was to our friendly neighbors to the North.

I was watching (and hating on) Dale Hunter when I was eight. Do you even know who Dale Hunter is?

Posted by: cjperego | March 1, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

I love this comment from another blogger on the photo:

"Look at him up there will the poster boy for birth control expression on his face."

LOL

Posted by: daddy00 | March 1, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Crosby is good, that is tough to argue...really good actually as much as I hate to admit it. Im not going to act like a Pens fan and sit here and say my favorite players ARCH RIVAL sucks like they do about Ovie.

What I dont get is that people are shutting the book on the Crosby/Ovie rivalry and crowing Crosby the lifetime champ/king or something. Lets see how things play out this year and in future years...then judge. If people like Wilbons slob-self want to close the book on things then we may as well never watch another game of hockey...u know cuz Sid is already locked in as the greatest there is.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | March 2, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

"Barring injury or an almost unfathomable preliminary round knockout, these Olympics became the absolute nightmare scenario for Caps fans..."
I hadn't thought about it in that way. I was happy that the US performed beyond expectations. I was also pleased that the gold medal game was very competitive and watched by so many American viewers. I think it might actually raise the interest level of hockey in the US which I think is a good thing. Maybe it's because I'm not just a Caps fan, but a hockey fan.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | March 2, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse