Gilbert still likes Tiger Woods

Finally, a Gilbert Arenas apology that actually sounds like Gilbert Arenas.

The Six Shooter gave a lengthy interview to Esquire in which he apologized for the gun incident and talked about the after effects, and unlike his previous apologies issued through his lawyers and in a WaPo op-ed, this one was pure Gilbert. Which, of course, meant that he wound up commenting on Tiger Woods, saying his legacy should not be tarnished by his infidelities. Via the AP's account of the Esquire article, which will hit newsstands next week:

"Say it's all true," Arenas said. "At the end of the day, that's not the reason I love Tiger. I got three Tiger Woods games for my Xbox just in case one gets scratched. On the cover, it doesn't have him walking next to his wife. It just has Tiger Woods, hitting shots."

It's an innocent notion of why fans love athletes, and it was likely true a decade ago. But now? Does Tiger's bio ever not include the women? Does Gilbert's bio ever not include the guns? Doesn't matter how much you love the guy.

According to the AP, Gilbert also told the magazine that he used to have as many as 500 guns that he bought from "an elderly man's World War I collection," and that he has a painting of Abe Pollin hanging in his garage.

"I just walk by it with my head down," Arenas said. "I called Mrs. Pollin and said, 'If Abe was still with us, I would've had to talk to him, so I'm gonna give you the same respect. I want to say sorry to you. I deserve to be punished. I'll do everything it takes to get back your husband's respect."'

Attempting to gain back the respect of a man who was already gone when the incident happened? Like I said, pure Gilbert.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 15, 2010; 12:32 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boarding = "Enormous amount of judgment"
Next: Federal employees warned about March Madness

Comments

Who cares about Tiger Woods? He should join Amway, they also screw anything that moves, and have ripped off millions of people for several decades, to the tune of 10s of billions of dollars:

Amway is a scam, and here's why: Amway pays out as little money as they can get away with, so they support the higher level IBOs ripping off their downline via the tool scam.

As a result, about 99% of IBOs operate at a net loss, while the top 1% make several TIMES more from their Amway tool scam than from the Amway products. This was made illegal in the UK in 2008, but our FTC is unable to pull their heads out of their butts to stop it here.

Read about it on my blog, I suggest you start here: http://thenetprofitgroup.yolasite.com and forward the information to everyone you know, so they don't get scammed.

Posted by: texansay | March 15, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Barno still loves Gilbert Arenas

Posted by: Barno1 | March 15, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you are not by yourself.

I still love Gilbert too :-)

Posted by: ivyleague | March 15, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I still love Gilbert too. It's time for him to get back on the court. The Wiz next year could have Livingston, Turner, Arenas, Blatche, and Bosh. I smell a championship.

Posted by: Dellis2 | March 15, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

For some reason, if Josh Howard is able to play and gets a clean bill of health, I would love to see him in a Wiz uni. Both he and Gilbert have somthing to prove and add that to the list of players in Deliis2 's post and who knows :-)bove.........

Posted by: ivyleague | March 15, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

There was an article last week about the Wiz being interested in Josh Howard for a reduced price, now that he hurt his knee. Can't imagine he'll get a big contract.

I don't foresee Bosh coming here, but we've been trying to make the Stoudamire move happen for what seems like several years. No better time than now for Ernie to finally make that happen. We have the cap space, we have the hole up front (now that Jamison and Haywood are gone), and we are going to be an exciting team once we get Gilbert back.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 15, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. NO! BAD! BAD DAN! BAD!

That is all.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 15, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I still love Tiger and Gilbert. If I started caring about what entertainers did in their time off camera I doubt there would be very many people I'd like. Hell, I bet if I knew everything my friends and neighbors did behind closed doors I wouldn't like them much either. Here's to privacy.

Posted by: Hobes | March 15, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

What we learned in 2010: Arenas is not a leader or point guard. He's a scorer only.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 15, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert's father needs to call him and tell him to shut up. No more press interviews. Don't even talk to the paperboy. Just shut up. Until the judge hands down his sentence. Doesn't he know the judge will read everything he says? Why take the chance that the judge will be irked by something you say in an interview?

Posted by: tundey | March 15, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

==========================================
That's a stupid cheapshot..I guess you never heard of metaphorically speaking.

Posted by: bobilly2 | March 15, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

poor gilby....sulking away in his million dollar mansion.

everybody is against agent zero.

univ of arizona, golden state, the wiz, the nba, coach k, dc police, miami police, LA police, etc etc

gilby always get a bum rap.

Posted by: jdgreger@yahoo.com | March 15, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

What the hell Gil! 500 guns? Now you know why the majority of NBA players are broke within a couple of years after being out of the league.

Posted by: Mark_Edwin | March 15, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Collectable guns are a very sound investment. They rarely lose value.

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | March 15, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

If Arenas holds the late Abe Pollin in high regard, I would think having a painting of Abe in the garage rather than the home shows that level of respect to really be minimal at best.

and 500 guns! Geeesh!

Posted by: bbmcoachk | March 16, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

I say thanks to Grunfeld. He managed to put Jamison, Butler and Haywood in playoff contention with good teams. As late season pickups they have performed admirably.

To Texansay, who is the they you referred to? John Edwards? Mark Sanford? John Ensign? You want to demean someone, why not start with them. They all had presidential ambitions and wanted to lead the country. I hope you see this and respond.

Posted by: concerned13 | March 16, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Some people collect stamps, some people collect coins and some people collect guns. Nothing wrong with that. I would love to own a WWI era gun.

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | March 16, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Can't help but be amused at the anti-gun crazies who are taking issue with Gilbert owning 500 guns. I've said from the beginning of the Arenas gun controversy that there is a strong anti-gun agenda at play here from a whole lot of folks who could care less about the actual incident that occurred. They simply used Gilbert as a means to further their misguided anti-2nd Amendment agenda.

See: Feinstein, John