DeAngelo Hall: Redskins "look like a real organization"

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

If you're talking about the Redskins this month, you're talking about how they shocked the world by laying so low during the first days of free agency. If you were to talk about this in a light-hearted manner on a national radio show, you might say the Redskins look like...well...

"Look like a real organization, huh?" DeAngelo Hall joked on the Colin Cowherd show. "You know what? Mike Shanahan, Bruce Allen, Daniel Snyder, I think they're headed in the right direction. I don't think they feel like they have to go out and spend a lot of money to address certain needs or to even be a good football team. I think we are a good football team, if you look at our roster. Do we still need to get better? Yeah, definitely. Definitely need to get better, but I think Coach Shanahan's gonna bring a different attitude, and I think it's the attitude that we've been missing the last couple of years."

So I'm guessing he won't be on Jim Zorn's Christmas Card list, then? Also, somewhere, Vinny Cerrato nods his head in agreement at the "if you look at our roster" talk. Frankly, if you look at their roster right now, you'll be like, "where is everybody?"

Hall, of course, was touring every ESPN property on Monday; he'll be hunting muskrat on ESPN Outdoors Saturday morning and writing ironic one-liners for the front of ESPN the Magazine on Sunday. Read about his First Take appearance on Redskins Insider, and his ESPN.com chat on the Skins Blog.

And through all his ESPN travels, people wanted to know whether Hall was surprised at his team's new approach.

"You know what, a little bit surprised, a little bit surprised," he said on the "Scott Van Pelt Show." "Heard a couple rumors of maybe a Peppers deal going down or a Dansby deal going down or even a Dunta Robinson deal going down. I heard a couple whispers of those things, and I think they all would have been great additions to our team. The cost would have been a little steep."

Ryen Russillo suggested that money was of no importance to a franchise like Washington.

"You know, I don't know how this cap thing is gonna work out; if we can afford to, if we can't afford to," Hall said. "Coach Shanahan's in there, he's kind of a different kind of guy. He's a guy that I think has definitely proven he can win in this league and knows how to, and I think everyone's gonna kind of take his advice in this situation."

Two other noteworthy bits:

Catching the ball

"The guy can catch," Hall said when discussing Antonio Cromartie. "The guy can catch everything you throw, and when you have defensive backs that can catch the ball, that's always a positive, because those guys are gonna get turnovers."

No subtext there. Not at all.

Being the best

"I'm just loving football, loving life," Hall said on the SVP show. "And comparisons to some of these other corners, I still feel like I'm right up there. I'm going into my seventh season, I'm 26 years old. I feel like there's nothing but great things ahead of me. I'm even working harder. You know, I got that itch back, I've got that desire to prove everybody wrong, to let 'em know that I'm still the best corner in this league."

If DeAngelo Hall turns out to be the best corner in the league this year, he would indeed prove a lot of people wrong. "Everybody," even. A lot of people just now are taken with Darrelle Revis, calling him perhaps the best defender in the sport.

"You know, Revis is great," Hall said. "Revis is great. I mean, Revis is great, Nnamdi is great. I had a chance to actually play beside Nnamdi, so I can actually comment on his game a little more than I can Revis's game, but Rex Ryan is one of those coaches that he's gonna always hype his players up, he's gonna put them in position to make plays. You know, he could have three, four guys doubling a [receiver], and he'll go to the interview and say Revis stopped him by himself. That's just how he is, he's a great coach. And players like that, that's why players love him....

"I know how Rex is, and I know kind of the makeup and his personality. He definitely can over-hype a player, but Revis is definitely [great]. Play in and play out, I respect him for the simple fact that he does what I did, and that was follow every receiver and take him out of the game, whether you have help or not. Every single play, he's going to the best guy."

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 10, 2010; 8:28 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau uses the word "reckless" again
Next: Sexy Semin, a Plush hockey jersey and more

Comments

Hall has to remember that the GM of this "Real Organization" has already stated that free agency (and cuts, I assume) runs until the first day of training camp. So if Hall does not prepare well and is all "Talk" then he might become part of the "Dead Weight" as well before the season opens. Be careful of what you ask for! But I still like Hall over Carlos any day, even though he talks too much and can not make open field tackles.

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 10, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I love when mediocre players still talk about themselves like they are elite. It's like when I go to a college bar and hit on a hot college girl, forgetting that I'm now in my mid 30s and bald. Love the inner confidence DeAngelo. I'll use that as motivation while at Bentleys or Rhino this weekend.

Posted by: fushezzi | March 10, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

It's too bad that Haynesworth, Hall and Portis weren't part of the epic cleanout. Here's hoping Shanahan and Allen eventually decide to get rid.

Posted by: templetontherat1978 | March 10, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone made the obligatory "Delusiono Hall" remark yet?

Posted by: WashyPo | March 10, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

We'll be a real organization when we get rid of DeAngelo Hall. What a stiff--Run over by a QB?

Posted by: dovelevine | March 10, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

What n da hell is D- Hall talkin about... dude??? can you look in the mirror FIRST!!! before you start commenting on other people's game. YOUR DA WORST!!! Go back to Oakland where you belong...

Posted by: scoopluv8 | March 10, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

I don't get why everyone is so down on Hall?

What did he say in this interview or even last weeks interview that's so bad? The Skins needed to get rid of the "dead weight" it was a long time coming.

A few years ago, people WERE saying that Hall was the best in the league. I don't recall Hall ever saying he is the "best" and that wants to prove people wrong. What's wrong with that? I hope he does as a Redskins fan. He certainly has the talent to be one of the best.

One bad tackle on Jake Delhomme and everyone is chumping him out. Lame. People forget he played on one of the WORST coverage schemes in football under Greg Blache. Absolutely horrid!

How short of a memory people have these days.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 10, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

So DeAngelo, just so I'm clear, the Redskins are headed in the right direction because they're not gonna overpay, underachievers and over hyped players like yourself. If the Redskins had had this kind of sense a couple of years ago, you and your overpriced contract wouldn't be around. Shut up and make a play!

Posted by: anw821 | March 10, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

It must have been a slow day around The Worldwide Leader is Sports.....

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 10, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

thats why they call him me/angelo

Posted by: DLESMonday | March 10, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

best fusheezzi comment in a long time. I hope to be around next time you hit on a hot college chick

Posted by: jpfterps | March 10, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Hall could do us all a favor and shut his mouth until he is a force on the field.If BS was music,Hall would be a brass band

Posted by: bowspray | March 10, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

First he calls the cutting of players the like of C.Griffin, L. Betts, R. Cartwright, ARE and hell even Fred Smoot... "getting rid of the dead weight."

THEN, lol, he has the audacity to say and I quote:

"Play in and play out, I respect him (Revis) for the simple fact that he does what I did, and that was follow every receiver and take him out of the game, whether you have help or not."

Let's get something clear. D'angelo Hall has never been confused with being a shutdown cover corner. Except for by himself and his agent, who somehow got him back-to-back crazy dumb money deals from two different teams, that he's been average at best in producing for. Am I missing something here? Dude. Please, shut up. The only reason places like ESPN are giving him forums to speak, is because of ridiculous comments like these. You're entertainment for them #23. They are falling over themselves with laughter, the minute they un-mic you and you leave.

*walking away*

This guy...

Posted by: LIKWID | March 10, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

To blame this mess on any of the previous coaches who were here is a joke, Zorn included. When a real GM showed up (Allen is above average, but, no super star GM - he's been out of football until Mr. Snyder hired him) that could hire his own "superstar" coach (who is respected, but, hasn't won jack without a man named Elway), who could hire his assistants, who can set and actually enforce rules (nobody kissing the players overpaid hynies -how refreshing!) without interference from the owner and his "buddies" on the roster (Portis as GM?), who the owner leaves alone (no speed dialing players?), you have the PROMISE of something representing an NFL team. They look better, but, at 4-12, who wouldn't? Have they won a game in the off season? Does anyone expect anything but pending 8-8 record that would be a "major improvement" to mediocrity. It took Danny 10 years, multiple coaches (Zorn couldn't even hire his assistants - ever heard of that before?), and one GM to finally wake up? Gibbs started, but, does anyone believe he would leave his beloved Redskins after leaving racing if this was a tenable situation? Gibbs struggled once free agency came in and he didn't have Beathard to pick the players. WAKE UP!

Posted by: KDSmallJr | March 10, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Sweet Jebus, this guy sucks. We're in for a long season.

Posted by: peterandmeredith | March 10, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

'He can catch' meant he was NOT referring to Carlos 'Butter' Rogers...LOL

And before you anoint yourself as the next Deion, YOU gotta do less talking and more playing dude. Your squad won 4 games. You're apart of that whether you think so or not.

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 10, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I hope DHall is spending some offseason studying HIS film!! Maybe he needs to give less interviews and more time to the "art of tackling".

Posted by: cmann083@yahoo.com | March 10, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

DHall get a grip. Comparing you to Revis is like comparng peanut butter and jelly to Steak and potatos.. it's a meal, but it's not the same at ALL!
Get your swagger back, SHUT UP, and hit somebody man.. stop reaching for guys who will run through your arm tackles. Throw your 5-8 180 pound ass into a tackle for once..

Posted by: skinnz4life | March 10, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Funny how all the talk is on D. He is such a small part of the equation. Now bring in Michael Vick and we got lots of talking to do. All the focus would be on him and he is ready to lead this team. Chow on that!!

Posted by: mykskiman | March 10, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

D HALL, STFU AND MAKE A TACKLE!

Posted by: classicskins | March 10, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

D-Hall is a D-Bag. Shut up and have a better than mediocre year and then talk to the media.

Posted by: ATL2 | March 10, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Blah Blah Blah - Folks, don't buy into it or your part of the problem.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER!
BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER!
BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER!
BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER!
BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER-BOYCOTT $NYDER!

Posted by: hessone | March 10, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

@rmcazz

You've got to be kidding me.

Posted by: hessone | March 10, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dovelevine

Run over by an OLD QB at that!

Posted by: hessone | March 10, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

In Shanny (& Haslett) I trust. If they think we need to keep Hall, then by all means, let's do that.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 10, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@hessone

Umm, no. Lets compare stats:

Hall
2004 ATL - 35tkl 2int
2005 ATL - 65tkl 6int
2006 ATL - 58tkl 4int
2007 ATL - 70tkl 5int
2008 OAK - 48tkl 3int
2008 WAS - 25tkl 2int
2009 WAS - 58tkl 4int

Now these are Champ(or Chump as I like to call him because he didn't want to be here) Bailey's stats through his first 7 years:

1999 WAS 67tkl 5int
2000 WAS 57tkl 5int
2001 WAS 50tkl 3int
2002 WAS 16tkl 3int
2003 WAS 16tkl 2int
2004 DEN 16tkl 3int
2005 DEN 14tkl 8int

In 2006 Champ had his best season with 10 picks with Denver, the only other season that came close was in 2005 with 8. Again with Denver. Champ Bailey was one of the few true "shut down" corners as EVERYONE has said through the years.

I have one more for you: Deion Sanders. His best season was 7 picks in a season and he never had anymore then 41 tackles yet he made the Pro Bowl every year.

I'll say it again, if you're going to base his career on one play then that's not the way to go. Greg Blache's coverages were HORRID and outdated. He was too stubborn to change anything, thank God he's gone. That's why he stopped doing interviews because eveyone questioned his play calls.

They should be much improved this season in a 3-4, which is designed to stop "pass first" defenses. And while I do not like him, Jim Haslett is regarded as a solid defensive mind in football.

I don't think anybody should be concerned with the DB's here, I think everyone should be concerned that the Redskins do not have the LB's to do a 3-4 right now.

Beyond Fletcher, there's not much that leaves to be desired. You have Orakpo who is a wonderful DE, but he's not an LB. Rocky is very average. Then there's nothing after that.

So before you start bashing the guy, you might want to check up on your stats. That or actually watch the Redskins.

One play does not a career make. Again, I hope Hall does well this season. Wishing him un-well doesn't help the Redskins.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 10, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry but your stats don't begin to explain what a shut down corner is. Nobody is afraid to throw at Hall, and if you give him a pump he freezes because he wants to jump the route so bad. The reason Champ doesn't have more interceptions is that people are afraid to throw to his side of the field. By your own stats hall does not have a 10 or an 8 or even a 7 interception year, he tops out at 6. He gets burned much more often than he gets interceptions and they throw at his man whenever they want. That is the difference between he and Champ. Champ does not give up the big play or let receivers get behind him as often. As for the missed tackle, it would have been nice for him to make it, but he is paid to defend WR. I will be happy if he gets better at that.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | March 10, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Please get off of Champ's NUTZ!!! He's not as good as he used to be.....he doesn't qualify as a "Shut Down" corner anymore....QB's are throwing to his side of the field more often now....and he's giving up big plays!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | March 10, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

based on how d'angelo rips every team he's ever played on, best to attach a 'until further notice' to anything nice that dude ever says about his team or teammates.

Posted by: brianmatthewd | March 11, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse