Haynesworth: "I don't think I'm built to be a nose tackle"

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Albert Haynesworth's offseason workout regimen has been well-chronicled by Jason Reid, as has his leeriness of a move to the 3-4. He discussed both issues at great length during a Monday appearance on SIRIUS NFL Radio with Adam Schein and Rich Gannon, saying he hasn't requested a trade and hasn't talked to the new coaching staff about his preference, but that he does not see himself as an NFL nose tackle. Rather, he compared himself to an NBA center who likes to take threes; he wants to make plays, not take up space.

"I haven't really had a whole lot of conversations about it to them," he said of his new coaches, whom he praised several times. "I don't know, I guess whatever. I don't know what I'm supposed to do or to say. I'm under contract there, so there's nothing I can really say about it....You look at all the nose tackles in the NFL, they're all the same type guys. Like me, I'm 6-6, 330, 340 pounds, whatever. Most of those guys are short, stubbier, pretty much stump-type guys. I don't think I'm built to be a nose tackle, to be honest."

Given several opportunities to express serious misgivings, however, Haynesworth declined. Here's what he said when asked if he was no longer a good fit in D.C.

"I mean, I wouldn't really say that," Haynesworth said. "We've got a good coach and all that stuff. Whatever they ask me to do, that's what I'm gonna do. I'm not gonna be a distraction or anything. I'm just gonna do what they ask me to do."

Later, he was asked if he had considered requesting a trade.

"Nah, I haven't done anything like that," Haynesworth said. "Hopefully they put me at end and that's where I play at. End in 3-4 is the same thing as a defensive tackle in the 4-3, I believe."

As for working with his own trainer instead of the Redskins' staff, Haynesworth said that was his procedure in the years he enjoyed his greatest NFL success, and that he's trying to recapture that dominance.

"Last year I worked out with the Redskins and the year that we had wasn't great by any means, very disappointed in my play and stuff like that, so I'm getting back to basics, what got me to be one of the top defensive guys in the NFL, and that's what I plan on doing," Haynesworth said. "I told Mike [Shanahan], and he was like Well, I wanted you to train with our guys and all that stuff.

And I said 'I totally respect that, but to get me back to where I want to be, I need the serious training, I need the stuff that got me where I'm at.' We do a lot of specialized stuff, my trainer comes up with some great stuff that's just for me, basically. Not just maybe a defensive lineman, but just for me, stuff that I can improve on to help me get stronger and things that help me focus better. Nothing against them or whatever, but I want to get back to being the best defensive tackle in the NFL, and I need to do this."

The hosts asked whether he wasn't worried that this was starting off on the wrong foot with the team's new leaders or antagonizing his teammates, and he essentially said no, he was not worried about that.

"My thing is, they pay me to play football," Haynesworth said. "As long as I'm dominating and being that great player, then that's all that matters. No matter how I get there, as long as they want me doing that, then that's what matters....

"The thing I really like about [Shanahan], I mean, he's an awesome coach and even better person. You can just go and talk to him, be honest with him and open up to him and he'll talk to you and tell you everything. I mean, it's unbelievable. It's almost a different feel, a completely different feel from last year with the coaches and stuff.

"Talking to him, it was great. And he said, Well, I don't really agree with it, but I respect you for telling me, so that's kind of what it was....I know my body and the condition that I had the last years with the Titans, and as long as I can get back to that, you could put a high school coach around me and it's not even gonna matter because I'm gonna be playing my best ball. So I'm not really concerned with [perceptions]. All I'm concerned about is getting back to that great shape. I feel like I was in ok shape last year but didn't dominate or didn't play like I wanted to, so now I plan on getting back to where I was, so I can dominate."

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 22, 2010; 1:48 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: "Don't stop playing how you play"
Next: Albert Haynesworth: Redskins are back to normal

Comments

1st to say.........BULLSH**!!! THIS DUDE NEEDS TO GET HIS A** BACK W/ THE TEAM, AND BE A TEAM PLAYER, AND PARTICIPATE ALONG W/ EVERYBODY ELSE. SHANNY-GET HIS FAT A** OUTTA THERE!!!

Posted by: delfranklin4 | March 22, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Whatever...just come to camp in great shape and no one will remember that he wasn't at voluntary two-hour lifting sessions. I really hope that Kemoatoeueuwuoaa gets back healthy so Big Al can play where he's supposed to.

Posted by: Section104 | March 22, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of this clown. Whatever it takes.

Posted by: LouLewis | March 22, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Man......I don't like where this is headed.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | March 22, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Ok with this being an uncapped year this is the primetime to rid yourself of a character like this, and really send a message and trust me someone would love to take him off your hands, now this may require us/the Skins eating a portion of his contract as far as trade may go...but you could get value in draft pick(s) back and possibly have 2 first round picks. With that you can take an O-lineman and a D-lineman say Mount Cody and Okung that would be a great 1st round...then you still have your 2nd round possibly another o-lineman, I also believe there are still trades to be made which could bring in more picks i.e. possibly Andre Carter, maybe even J.C. or the likes of a Cooley or Davis. Bottom line is even with all the names I've just listed we've won nothing with them so to an extent they are expendable for the simple fact you want to build a better team then the one that has yet to produce...

Posted by: papaskynz | March 22, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Sounds a lot like CP. I want to do my own thing. Its a team game Albert!

Posted by: Mark_Edwin | March 22, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Trade him to Detroit for their 1st round pick and get Russell Okung and Ndamukong Suh. Get the KUNG KONG brothers.

Posted by: dukebound15 | March 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

not working out with the team as his employer asked, is not the way to go.(and all that STUFF)

Posted by: Hattrik | March 22, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

obviously he is trying to bend the rules much like portis did in the past.

they do not want to be around get out.

end of story.

we finished 4-12 with him, cant do much worse without him

Posted by: ecartola | March 22, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Red flag.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 22, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Posted by: JBuss | March 22, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"I feel like I was in ok shape last year but didn't dominate or didn't play like I wanted to, so now I plan on getting back to where I was, so I can dominate."

Well, you'd be the only one Fat Albert.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | March 22, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Beached whale...

Posted by: floundermail | March 22, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

But Dannyboy has a plan....well this very thing of Fat albert not working out with the team is a very small thing in the overall playing of a season but let's break down how we got here......

-Gibbs resigns
-snyder looking for a coach
-wants/waits for Spags from G-men.
-Spags rather coach rams for far less money then disfuntional skins
-Hires coaches, including Off and Def. coord. before hiring head coach
-When no one but jim fassel found these ametaurish conditions acceptable, he found a coach who had zero coor exp, much less head coach.
-Zorn era like a bad sports "twilight zone" as vinny and dan's plan comes to light.
-overspend, some say tamper, to sign record deal for player who plays 1 out of 3 plays and is hurt and out of shape neglecting O-line once again.
-Fired his favorite lap dog for being his favorite lap dog as public cries "off with their heads"!
- Fired Zorn as simple things like play calling are outsourced to bingo callers.
- hired A real GM and coach to help right and fix his beleagured plan
-new coach brings in his own coaches and staff bypassing dan's usual way of doing things.
-new staff wants to bring in own syetems as since paid for talent are left to wonder who's door to go to complain.
-Said talent does not want to play the needed position so new GM/coach are put in a bad spot once again from owners past.
- Not working out with team in spite of being highest pd def. player because you were out of shape last year. what the ?

How is that plan working out Dannyboy?

Until you truly get rid of the haynesworth and portis, me first guys who have already played their best football, you have not turned over your team to real pro's like allen and shanny. Just a few thoughts on how's snyders decisions usually trickle down over and over again...

Posted by: klangley69 | March 22, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

the Redskins need 53 guys to make up a roster.

you can't just cut everyone. including Samuels, who retired, 13 or 14 guys were shown the door or not resigned.

while Portis may be past his prime, AH certainly has value at DT.

I would doubt that Shanahan would just cut Haynesworth, the Redskins don't have enough talent on either line to release pro bowl players because they don't like everything about what they do or say.

Haynesworth is not an ideal 'team' guy. We knew that from the beginning.

He's going to be here for awhile.

Hopefully, he and Shanahan can make it work.

Gibbs made it work with Dexter Manley, Wilber Marshall, Gary Clark and a number of players that had an attitude or wanted to work out on their own or had off the field issues.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 22, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Well, if he comes back and plays a few plays then takes a few off to get his "breath"... then we know that his trainer is a re-re... I hate excuses and no that this guy got paid, that's all I hear. I cant play middle, I am not a nose guard... guess what Fat Albert... you are a perfect Nose tackle, big, fat, slow and takes up space... that exactly what you do! I can see this guy crying like a BBBBBTTTCCH already. Waste of a pick up!

Posted by: rvanags | March 22, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

the reality is this guy can play, when he plays...he also does a lot of talking nonsense. Yo, AH, put up or shut up, please.

The difference between him and D'Angelo, Portis, the 3 3rd yr. stooges, and the current offensive line is AH can play - the rest of em just talk....they won't be here much longer.

Posted by: outrbnksm | March 22, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dukebound15 | March 22, 2010 3:00 PM |

This is an excellent suggestion. The bonus money that went to Fat Albert can be considered as money spent on someone who actually wants to be a football player. Detroit would be getting a proven commodity if he changes his ways.

Fat Albert is the biggest SISSY I have ever seen. As Vince Lombardi said, fatigue makes cowards of us all. Well Fat Albert was all fatigue last year and will be in the near future as a Redskin.
I have watched the Redskins for 42 years and have never seen a defensive tackle have to be carried off, helped off and taken off the field as much as this joker. His talent is excuse making. If we do not get rid of him now for whatever we can, we will be stuck with him and his horse_hit till the end of time. Or maybe until Snyder figures it out it is cheaper to just pay to have him shot.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | March 22, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

If they let this slide it sends the wrong message to the whole team. Send Albert and his oxygen tank somewhere else for a draft pick or two.

Posted by: sonofliberty09 | March 22, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

At this point, we would be happy trading AH for a half-eaten salami sandwich? If anyone is interested in taking this loser's bloated contract and bloated body, we should JUMP on it! 7th rounder in 2017? Sure, sold!!!

Posted by: ndickover | March 22, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

"if the redskins REALLY want to start over they should do something about this guy."

It's coming.

If not this year then next year. That contract is one of the worst in the NFL.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 22, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

hey morons haynesworth gets double and tripled teamed on every play..by people almost as big or bigger than him would any of you get tired quickly facing that on every down? haynesworth rarely talks to the media I did NOT hear much from him until he spoke out against blache. let him get into better conditioning and lets see what happens, according to him he wants to dominate again maybe just maybe he is working towards that goal. hopefully the coaches let him play DE even with him in avg. shape last year he is the quickest man in the league his size off the ball.

Posted by: wathu19 | March 22, 2010 9:32 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Shanahan= You want to get the Skins fans back? You want respect? You want your new team to stop being the laughing stock of the league?
Then get rid of Haynsworth. You let him do "his thing", you'll see all the other prima-donnas follow suit, led by CP.
The fans here are fed up with all the rich punks this team has accumulated.

Posted by: scmonty1 | March 22, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Fat Albert is joke. He'll show up out of shape, won't dominate, and he'll find a way to blame on the scheme. He'll find a way to blame it on everyone except himself. Hated this signing from the beginning and will never like this guy. If anyone is stupid enough to take him, then trade him. NOW!!!

Posted by: anw821 | March 22, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

a few things i know about mike shanahan:

he will not tolerate anyone coming to camp in less than tip top shape. montrae holland was his starting guard a couple years ago. holland showed up for training camp overweight, and shanny wouldn't let him practice with the team. he made holland work on his conditioning on an adjacent practice field until he made weight, then he immediately shipped holland off to the cowboys.

shanahan will bench you regardless of salary or draft position if you don't perform; this includes practice. he will be the first to admit he made a poor personnel decision and he will move on. ask simeon rice how much he saw the field after shanahan paid him good money as a free agent (admittedly not haynesworth money, but who makes that much?).

so i'm pulling for portis and haynesworth to get it together, but i'm not worried about it.

Posted by: zatoichi77 | March 22, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Big Al was double teamed most plays. I think he made a big difference. I'll trust he knows what he's doing and I'm guessing he'll be an end in the new defense. The coaches are not stupid. Al is a game changer. Teams have to plan for him. Go get 'em Big Al.

Posted by: hand_of_doom | March 22, 2010 11:34 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Fat Albert...sounds like your pockets are straight like our boy Southeast Jerome. Get your big azz in town and bring your trainer with ya...lord knows you can afford it! Show some effort and be a team player man. Don't get on our (coaches, players, FANS) bad side buddy!

Hail to the Redskins

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | March 23, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dukebound15 | March 22, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Great suggestion! We'll throw in Clinton for their second round pick as well!!

Go Skins!

Posted by: DCSPORTSFANATIC | March 23, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

i think big al should be with his teammates...everyon else showed up...al should be there...i believe big al could be a team leader with his dominant play...set an example al and get with your teammates...standing out and standing alone has negative connotations...i would not be surprised if big all is part of a BLOCKBUSTER trade on draft day...shanahan is a no nonsense coach and this issue is borderline nonsense and it disruptive to team chemistry.

Posted by: ronniecope106 | March 23, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

I file this under "who cares." Until Snyder sells the team we suck. Even if we're winning.

Posted by: dcmusician2 | March 23, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

The Skins training staff didn't post up at the buffet, you did Fatboy...a consummate professional wouldn't allow himself to plump up, then blame someone else for it.

Put down the hushpuppies and pick up the slimfast chubbsy...

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 23, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse

Hey, if you're Pavarotti you can have your very own voice coach and do it your way. But if you sing in a chorus, you don't get to stay home and warm up by singing "Me, me, me, me, me, me, me".

Nobody's suggesting Haynesworth isn't entitled to pay his own trainer and do his own exercises to whip his big-butt self into shape. With his contract, he can keep ten trainers on his staff if he wants.

But if he's gonna lean on the coach till he gets "respect", then not enough has changed with the Skins. Last time I checked, the coach still calls the shots and Fat Albert should show HIM and THE TEAM some respect and knock off the divatude.

Posted by: laboo | March 23, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Let the guy train with his trainer.
What, worst could happen than last year.
The guy takes two to block him so Skins get your money worth.
If he comes back in shape like he was with the Titans then watch out.
ALBERT RUN IN THE POOL! SAVE THE KNEES!

DRAFT OFFENSIVE LINEMEN!

Posted by: shamken | March 23, 2010 7:01 AM | Report abuse

One can only come to one of two conclusions: 1) He took a $40M signing bonus and $100M total last year, and didn't work out in the off season; or 2) His off season workouts with his personal chef (trainer?) don't work, and he ought to be working out with the rest of the TEAM. Oh, that's right, there's no "I" in "TEAM".

Posted by: jburnetti | March 23, 2010 7:09 AM | Report abuse

"Rather, he compared himself to an NBA center who likes to take threes; he wants to make plays, not take up space."

---------------------------------------
Great...the Manute Baul of the NFL, hey who plays Mugsy in this version? Does Fat Albert hang with Blatche at the Eye Bar?

Posted by: nowhine | March 23, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Plenty of gibberish and excuses! Just get out there, play and produce.

Posted by: Theone9 | March 23, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

The only place that he made plays was at the buffet table; but on the field he neededan oxigen mask??

Posted by: Thecrazyone | March 23, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

BFD! Do you think all of the Saints players were at all of their voluntary stuff last off-season? The Steelers the year before? Of course not! I don't care where he works out, just kick a** on Sundays, that's all that matters. Redskins fans seem to look for something to complain about. This is nothing! It's only because they went 4-12. Portis didn't just become a bad team mate in 2009. He's been that way, people just didn't care because he was producing on the field. In 2009 he struggled so suddenly he has to go because he's selfish. If he's selfish now it's because he's always been selfish! If nothing on that team changes other than going 12-4 instead of 4-12 nobody will care about any of this!

Posted by: largetony86 | March 23, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

@klangley69

Like I've said since November of last year and I'll say it again:

BOYCOTT $NYDER-NOTHING HAS CHANGED EXCEPT THE NAMES AND FACES-BOYCOTT $NYDER

Posted by: hessone | March 23, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth: "I don't think I'm built to be a nose tackle"

Built to love himself! I think I'm going to puke if I have to hear Stompworth and Portis Pockets Straight all of next year! TRADE or RELEASE these clowns!

Posted by: hessone | March 23, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth wants to work with his own "trainers" so he can loaf and quit working out when HE wants and not be monitored by some assistant coach. He pulled himself out of the Titan games whenever he wanted and the Titans let him go. If shanahan goes to a 3-4 defense, for whatever reason, thats one less slot for "Fat Albert" to get on the field and produce. Get the oxygen ready because his "conditioning" wont let him play exhibitions and then the regular season.

Posted by: djv123 | March 23, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hand_of_doom

I've also been in denial before. This guy is a distraction. Dump him and get a draft pick.

Posted by: hessone | March 23, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

This is the problem with signing these huge free-agent contracts. The Redskins are stuck with Haynesworth. No other team will trade for him because of his salary. The Redskins could cut him, but they would have to fork over the rest of the $41 million guaranteed money (and then watch him sign with the Cowboys or Giants).

They can't make him work out with the team at this point, because workouts are voluntary...not required.

All they can do is bench him, or take Haynesworth at his word. If he comes into the season and truly becomes the most dominant tackle (or end) in the NFL, great. But I have heard this song before and I know how it ends. I'm sorry to say that I don't have much confidence.

Posted by: StevenA875 | March 23, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse