Herzog says his ouster "was a money thing"

Monday's Frank Herzog tribute on WTOP was a marvelous hour of radio, featuring call-ins from Wes Unseld, Ron Weber, Johnny Holliday, Joe Gibbs and Darrell Green, Sonny and Sam, among others. As for the fan subtext -- that Herzog should have been allowed to retire from being the Voice of the Redskins on his own terms -- it raised only twice by distinguished guests: at the beginning by John Riggins, and at the end by Mark Plotkin.

"Frank Herzog is a hero," said Plotkin, WTOP's resident political analyst and rabble-rouser. "I used to listen to Jack Brickhouse for the Chicago Bears, and Jack Brickhouse is nothing compared to Frank Herzog. And I think in the name of really sort of bringing Washington back together, the owner of the Washington Redskins should first apologize and then - I'm being serious - and ask Frank Herzog back. Nobody can remember the name of the person that replaced you. If he apologized and called you and said, 'Frank we need you, would you come back?'..."

"Once a troublemaker, always a troublemaker," Herzog said with a chuckle.

"No, I'm serious," Plotkin insisted.

"Never changes, does it?" Herzog said, again refusing to go there.

"Frank I have to say, many of the e-mails that we got were from people who really miss you calling the Redskins games..." attempted Mark Segraves, the program's host.

"I'll tell you this," Herzog finally said. "The thing that I've seen in my 40 years is teams change. Coaches change. Players come and go. It all changes. The one thing that never changes: the fan. They're always there."

That, folks, is called finding the high road, and then leaping 20 feet above it. My colleague Paul Farhi got in touch with Herzog after the show, and pressed him on this matter.

"It was a money thing," Herzog said, explaining that WJFK was behind the decision, and not the Redskins.

"They wanted to use one of their employees, who had other responsibilities, so they could save one salary," he said. As for Snyder: "He did all he could. I saw him later, and he looked me in the eye and shook my hand and said, 'I don't interfere with the decisions of other companies. It's their call to make.' "

On the other hand, he misses the Redskins. "If they were to ask me back, I'd think about it," he says. And after thinking about, he adds, "Yeah, I'd go back."

This is the same basic story Leonard Shapiro reported back when the switch was made, which obviously hasn't stopped fans from placing the blame elsewhere. Here was from Shapiro's article at the time:

Redskins spokesman Karl Swanson said the team had no role in the decision.

"We were notified by Alan today that they decided to make the change," Swanson said. "We had no input and wouldn't want any input. It's their business in how they choose to staff it....If they had asked us, and they didn't, we would have pointed to Larry. He's been very involved in their broadcasts and knows this team very well."

"I really do think it was the station's decision," Herzog said. "I'd never had any indication the Redskins were dissatisfied, not from Dan Snyder, not from anyone else over there."

Speaking of Herzog, Swanson added: "It's always a shame when a legend steps out of the role. But he's still a force on Channel 9 and we're glad we'll still be working with him."

But that's all messy and yucky. Let's close with something happier. And really, if you care about this sort of stuff, you must listen to this radio broadcast.

"When I think about Frank, I think about a guy with the total package," said Holliday, himself one of the nicest men in town. "He could do everything, and nobody could do it better. I had the pleasure of being with Frank and Sonny and Sam for 12 years at another station, doing the pre-game just to build up to them.

"And the one thing I always will remember -- and I hope young broadcasters will take account of -- is the fact that Frank is nice to everybody. he's always got time for everybody. He'd never big-time anybody. He's always remained, I think, very very humble. And you could tell that by the tributes from the people who have called in today, and you can tell that from Frank's response. I think Washington will miss him tremendously."

Well said.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 22, 2010; 11:34 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau and his goalies
Next: Gary Williams gets choked up over Greivis

Comments

Wasn't Frank Herzog the voice of Les Boulez back in the late 70's when they were a playoff team and won it all?

Sorry don't Snyder about the firing.

Please Danny Boy could have said Herzog or we don't renew the contract. WJFK would have given in.

Instead we have Danny's fluffer Larry Michael as the play by play moron. Danny doesn't need the little blue pill when he has Larry.

And sorry to say this its time to put Sam and Sonny in the assisted living facility.

Replace them with Riggo and Jeff Bostic and get rid of Larry.

Posted by: sheepherder | March 23, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

I would believe this if not for a few odd circumstances surrounding the events in question.

How long after Frank was fired did Dan get the rights back from WJFK, I think it was only 1 season? Yet he kept Larry and did not bring back Frank, if Dan loved Frank and is a PR whizz, then it would have happened.

Look at the On Air talent WJFK had at the time of Franks being replaced, Don and Mike were in their Prime, the Junkies were doing great. Your telling me that none of those people, the ones with a ton of on air experience would have taken the job and been better than Larry Michael? Don Geranamo was doing the pre-game show at the time, had a better voice than Larry the frog Michael, he was the face of 106.7 but a guy whose biggest gig at the time was pitching Slavonia light bulbs won the job?

Posted by: alex35332 | March 23, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Once again the official Redskins position does not jive with reality. The team that controls things with an iron fist had absolutely no influence on what their radio partner did? WJFK could have hired Hitler to do the play-by-play (he can't even speak english!) and the Redskins would have been powerless to stop it?

Puh-lease. That is the problem with journalists today. You guys are just reporters who are repeating what you get told. There is not very much investigating of the facts going on.

Posted by: calhokie | March 23, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I thought every team had a contractual say in the voice of their team. For Dan to say the redskins had no say in that doesn't ring true to me.

Posted by: boywaja | March 23, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

The Curly R does a great job explaining how the whole situation went down (with links back to the Post).

Posted by: dclance | March 23, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Touchdown, Washington Redskins!!!... I miss that...

Posted by: priceisright | March 23, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

As I say whenever Dan posts something about Redskins broadcasting: Larry Michael is a hack.

Posted by: CDon | March 23, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

"We had no input and wouldn't want any input..."

He said that with a straight face?

Posted by: tha_prophet | March 23, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Aren't the announcers approved by the NFL and the team?

Larry Michaels is bought and sold. he's classic Dan Snyder pawn management.

I will take note that Michaels did say Tebow is not worthy of an early round draft pick. thus i am comfortable that the redskins are not drafting him.

Posted by: oknow1 | March 23, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Love Herzog in his prime, but I do think the guy was losing the zip on his fastball towards the end. Let's just keep the memories. Which is not to say that they couldn't do better than Larry Michael.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 23, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Larry Michael couldn't carry Frank's headset. LM replacing Frank just took the life and fun out of the radio broadcasts, much like Danny Boy took the fun and the life out of the team when he bought it. Frank was Jack's kinda guy, and Jack was DC's kinda guy. They just don't make 'em like that anymore, and it's too bad. Trading Jack for Snyder, and Frank for Michaels just wasn't fair.

Posted by: ibdead | March 23, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse