Home Team Sports promo, 1990

D.C. sports are such a wreck that I'm going to just keep writing about the '80s and '90s.

This was the only promo for Home Team Sports I could find. But the bugle will get you fired up to watch some bad Bullets basketball. Plus Rod Langway.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 24, 2010; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dale Hunter and Diet Coke
Next: Dexter Manley's German Shepherd coat

Comments

Awesome. Just awesome.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Home team sports - the channel you cheer for.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 24, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

This promo is weak. I want the one with the song (and showing the Baltimore Blast). Get on it Steinz. Somewhere at home I have DVDs (was Betamax) with mid 80s Caps games including the promos with the song (and beer ads with Alex from Strohs).

Posted by: calhokie | March 24, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

And there's gotta be something out there featuring John "Brother Lo" Lowenstein...I wish he was still with the broadcast, would make watching the O's just a bit entertaining.

Posted by: AnnandaleAnnie | March 24, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Geez! What a great era to be a Washington area sports fan...

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 24, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I got to say this is quite the throwback. Hell the NHL player was not wearing any headgear.

Posted by: alex35332 | March 24, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Bless you, Dan, for digging up stuff like this. Awesome.

Posted by: CalleJoFan | March 24, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Ice Breakers, Goal Shakers, THE CAPS! Washington Capitals....OOOOH The Caps!"

Or
"Come to Birdland, exciting and new"

Would love to dig those promos up!

Posted by: Toochilled | March 24, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The channel you jeer for, Home Team Sports.

Posted by: BoteMan | March 24, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

The best HTS promo ever had clips of Mel Proctor calling an Orioles game ("Orsulak back to the wall AND MAKES A SPECTACULAR CATCH!!!") and Mike Fornes calling Dale Hunter's Game 7 OT goal against the Flyers("Murphy starts the rush, he hits Hunter, he's in alone, a shot AND A GOAL!!!").

Posted by: mgonter | March 24, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

hey the bullets were good in the 80's, they made the playoffs 7 times, of course they only made it past the first round once in those 7 tries, but that was just like the wizards from 05-08... they weren't bad if you make the playoffs, but they weren't great either

Posted by: destewar | March 24, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

thx Dan, I enjoyed that, it was homey.-those were the days when "Home" Team Sports didn't mean "And Baltimore too" as when CSN gobbled HTS up, and then "regionalized" them to max out their economies of scale, and thus, profit.

Posted by: Hattrik | March 24, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Wow; I almost miss HTS partially because it was next to impossible to get, since it was with premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc...

I remember being so excited the day it moved to basic cable that I watched re-runs of women's beach volleyball simply because I could.

Posted by: mooresap | March 24, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse