Juan Dixon on Vasquez's place in history

As Greivis Vasquez continues to rack up individual honors and stats in the waning days of his Maryland career, people will continue to speculate on his place in Terps history. The latest writer I've seen tackle this subject is the Examiner's Rick Snider, a longtime Terps beat writer. (See some previous rankings here.)

Snider notes that Greivis is top-three all-time in six different statistical categories, but still says Vasquez can't break into the top five of John Lucas, Bias, Juan Dixon, Albert King and Tom McMillen, in that order. Top ten yes, top five no.

Well, when I saw Dixon at Vasquez's final home game, I figured I should get his opinion.

"I can't put a number on it," he said at first. "It's not my job. I know he's ranked pretty high. I mean, anybody can't score 2,000 points. Everybody had that same opportunity Greivis had. I think he's a tremendous talent, he's big playing the point guard position, and he's not scared."

I pushed him on the top 5 issue, though, and then he said something that virtually everyone would disagree with: that Juan Dixon himself doesn't deserve to be in the top 5 of all-time Terps.

"I mean, all-time Maryland?" he said. "I don't think I'm top 5, to be honest with you. You've got Len Bias. You've got John Lucas. You've got Walt Williams. You've got Len Elmore, Buck Williams, Albert King. C'mon."

Well, sure, I agreed, but Dixon was the one who won a national title. That counts for something.

"Yeah, but I had a tremendous team," he countered. "I had great support. We had every piece of the puzzle. So I wouldn't even consider myself top 5. Other people might put me in the top 5, but to be honest, so many great players came through this school. Yeah, I was fortunate enough to be on a championship team, to bring the first Final Four here, first national championship. To be honest with you, I'll take top 5, but there's a lot of great players that came through this school. So is Greivis top 5? No, I wouldn't say that, to be honest with you."

It's a fair point. And there are certain real changes to the game -- the three-point line, the shot clock, the expanded schedules -- that make stats tough to compare over generations. In any case, Dixon agreed with Snider on one further point: that the postseason is part of what defines a college basketball career, and that Vasquez -- with two NCAA tournament wins and no ACC final appearances on his resume -- could improve his legacy this month.

"That's what makes you," Dixon said. "That's when great players step up. That's when great players have great tournaments. It's about stepping up at that time of the year. If Greivis can lead a team through the ACC tournament, play extremely well, go into the NCAA tournament, play at a high level, then yeah, you've got to mention him as one of the top Terps ever."

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 9, 2010; 10:22 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Frank Herzog retires
Next: Strasburg's spring training debut on MASN

Comments

I'm so bummed that Juan Dixon turned out to be a tool.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 9, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

I'm so bummed that Juan Dixon turned out to be a tool.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 9, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

A tool like a Hammer to smash your hands from being able to write/type that trash. Are you kidding me? He's no tool - but you are a fool.

Posted by: kevinb2000 | March 9, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd take Vasquez over Dixon in the top 5.

Posted by: JDP_ | March 9, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

I'm so bummed that Juan Dixon turned out to be a tool.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 9, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Where's your logic to back up that statement? Only a tool himself would say something like that!

Posted by: jbeard32 | March 9, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ever the humble man. Thanks for reminding us of why we loved you so much Juan.

Posted by: EricS2 | March 9, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I love all those comments that Dixion just gave. He gave a shout out to all the great MD players ( I would have included Joe Smith) and the ones that helped him win the championship. He/we all know without Blake and that gun toting side kick, MD wouldn't have won the championship.

I also CAN'T STAND Vasquez attitude on the court. He just thinks he's the man.

Posted by: wizardman | March 9, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Vasquez is probably # 7 on the all time list . But he certainly has room to move up te list depending on the terps performance in the tournament.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | March 9, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Ummm...Exree Hipp? I mean, his name alone should make him top ten.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | March 9, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Steroids? I lost some respect, not gonna lie. Has that since been disproved?

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 9, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

@MarylanDChris

I was also disappointed that he didn't graduate, at least not as far as I can tell.

Still, I like how humble he is and he always seemed like a nice guy.

Posted by: Joran | March 9, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

It was class to see Juan 5 rows back behind the basket cheering like a fan.

The camera found him and it was great to see.

This Maryland Terps team this year was projected to be middle to bottom of the ACC and they surprised so many.

Juan Dixon w/ Blake and Wilcox and Lonnie and the rest had some special years. Glad to see Juan back with his team!

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 9, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Now for Vasquez, I have to agree that he needs to carry this team far in the tournaments to cement him firmly in the Top 10.

Posted by: dmacman88 | March 9, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

When they showed Juan Dixon on the screen at the duke game, everyone around me was cheering, but me and my friend next to me pretended to stick syringes in our arms and chanted JUICE

Posted by: support6 | March 9, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

This question of all-time status can only be answered AFTER the ACC and NCAA tourneys...

Posted by: ntlekt | March 9, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: support6 | March 9, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

IF you weren't such a moronic loser who made up ridiculous and unfunny lies on the internet, you'd realize that if you had ACTUALLY done this at the MD-Duke game, you'd have been knocked out by the MD fans in your section.

Btw, Juan Dixon is the number 1 terp of all time, in terms of the career he had. He wasn't the best player to ever come through Maryland, but that's not what we're talking about is it? Best career. Period.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 9, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Best of Terps of all-time:
1. Mitch Kasoff
2. Earl Badu
3. Garfield Smith (RIP)
4. Sterling Ledbetter
5. Greg Nared

Posted by: iamasofaking | March 9, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

Hey, I wasn't kidding. I was in the student section and have the gold rush shirt to prove it. I just thought it was interesting that people didn't know about the europe steriod scandal. I'm not saying he's not the best player in UMD history. Anyways, the place was so loud I doubt anyone heard us.

Much respect to you for sticking with Gary, I'm enjoying your posts on the other article.

Posted by: support6 | March 9, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I saw Dixon once in public, so I went up to him and said, Thanks for all those great years at Maryland. You really gave us a lot to cheer about. He was so happy he was thanking me! He is more than a good b-ball player, he's a good person.

Posted by: voldenuit123 | March 9, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Re: Steroids

Almost every professional athlete uses some form of performance enhancing drug at some point in time in their careers. Be it HGH, anabolic steroids, or other drugs to help recover more quickly from injuries.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 9, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

@alecw81

Wow, OK then. I take it all back. Steroids don't bother me at all and Juan Dixon is a god. Oh, and same for Barry Bonds.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Still have my Cole Field House final game program against UVA with Dixon`s signature on it, his cousin was a co-worker of mine at the time, he took the time out of his day to sign it for a complete stranger.

Says a lot about him.

Posted by: terpfan4141 | March 9, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

steroids cannot make a person a better basketball player so its a moot point

Posted by: BeatDontStop | March 9, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Exree Hipp Top 5 players of UMD All time, also Obinna Fosheezie.

Posted by: OG_Barno | March 9, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: support6 | March 9, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Wow, oh my god, you are so cool! Please kill yourself.

Posted by: jrchris | March 9, 2010 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Please just stop with the ignorant steroid excuses. If it's ok with you if athletes cheat then just say so. You are entitled to your opinion. But please stop with the steroids don't make you better BS. If it didn't make him better, he wouldn't have used. If nothing ele it allows his body to recover faster, allowing him to play more minutes, making him a better player. It allows him to play through injury, making him better player. It allows him to lift on days between games thus staying in better condition during the season, making him a beter player. They call it performanc enhancing for a reason. You probably think taking steroids didn't help Mcguire or Bonds hit so many home runs because after all it doesn't help you to hit the ball. Like I said it's ok if you don't care if they cheat. We all have an opinion on that, but wheter or not steroids help athletes to be better is not an opinion. thats why it's against the rules.

I love Juan Dixon, and if he needed to extend his career in Europe by taking roids and it helped him to a few extra million, who cares, it's not like he was in the NBA or playing soccer in Europe or anything important.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | March 9, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: support6 | March 9, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Point taken. I just think we don't even know the facts of the case or whether Juan is even guilty of anything, and MD fans should stick by the guy anyway.

Go Terps