Kiper: Clausen "an ideal fit for the Redskins"

While five minutes of listening to Mel Kiper argue with Todd McShay makes me want to shuffle off this mortal coil in 4.37 seconds, their most vociferous 2010 disagreement has and will continue to concern the Redskins, so what the heck.

Kiper, as you've no doubt heard, is very high on Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen. McShay thinks Clausen will go early in the first round, but rates him as a second-round talent with intelligence and maturity issues. They will yell at each other about this every day from now until the draft, and possibly for 1,507 days beyond.

And since Kiper thinks Clausen would work well at the No. 4 pick, this involves frequent mentions of a certain local franchise. Mel argued Clausen to the Skins a month ago, and he argued it again this week.

"I think you look at where Mike Shanahan is, coming in, he wants to identify the quarterback and move forward with that signal caller," Kiper said on ESPN. "You go back to Jake Plummer, when he brought him in from Arizona; you go to Brian Griese, drafted him in the second round; Jay Cutler, drafted him in the first round. Now all of the sudden he can identify Jimmy Clausen as his guy at 4.

"It's not like this is a huge, huge stretch here to think that he could go 4....I think this would be an ideal fit for the Redskins and Mike Shanahan, to come in new, with himself identifying the quarterback to bring in right with him. They both come in together, and they grow together as well."

"The bottom line is, do you really think Jimmy Clausen is the fourth-best player in this draft, or even in the top 10?" McShay countered. "That's the hard part I have believing....To me, how do you pass on a Russell Okung, the best offensive tackle in this draft, a guy that can help rebuild your offensive line, and go with a quarterback that there are still a lot of question marks [about]?...

"And if I bring [Clausen] in as a top 10 pick, I've got to play him as a rookie, and I don't think that he has the right maturity level and mental capacity to handle that right now....The bottom line is I think there are too many question marks with Clausen, and how do you pass up on a possible elite offensive tackle for a quarterback that could very easily become another bust from Notre Dame?"

Tune in tomorrow, when the two men say exactly the same things while showing signs of mild exasperation with each other.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 12, 2010; 10:56 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NCAA tournament expansion would be a good thing
Next: Larry Johnson: Teaming with Portis would "be awesome"

Comments

NO! Nononononononono.

No Notre Dame QBs, esp. Notre Dame QBS under Weiss. Notre Dame QBs under Weiss have inflated numbers due to the system and the horrid teams they play against for the majority of their schedule. Jimmy Clausen has won exactly nothing over the course of his college Career. If the Skins waste the #4 on him instead of someone like Okung, I will seriously consider ending my lifetime fan...ummm...ship.

Kiper was also nuts about Brady "Lionheart" Quinn...how well did that work out for everyone?

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 12, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

No, Mel.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 12, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

"Who the hell is Mel Kiper?"

Posted by: PropJoe | March 12, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Kiper is a donk. He was also high on Andre Ware coming out. Shanny is going to rock the O-Line with the first two picks of the draft.

-From: Ashy Larry, Marcy Projects

Posted by: zgg0300 | March 12, 2010 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Bogman,
I always enjoy...Love the "mortal coil" ref...too funny, and in this case too true.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | March 12, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

My worst fear is that Skins take a QB, ANY QB, at Number 4, and not an OL. REALLY hope that doesn't happen.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | March 12, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

It remains to be seen what Shanny and Allen will do, but you know that Snyder and Campbell haters agree with Kiper. This makes it more obvious that we should pass on Clausen.

Posted by: moseley_brian | March 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

*Dislike*

Posted by: 4-12 | March 12, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Draft Jimmy Clausen at #4 would be really dumb. The redskins can get a great player deserving of that draft spot and get Colt McCoy, who is head and shoulders better than Clausen and a good kid who works his butt off. I watch a lot of ND FB and he ran a pro style offense, had great recievers over his career, yet still managed to get his coach fired. If he didn't happen to be a ND QB, he wouldn't even be in the conversation.

Posted by: Kolchak | March 12, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Clausen's agent must be paying Mel for saying such buffoonery.

Posted by: epostell | March 12, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Here is an idea...trade Carter to Cleveland for Quinn...build the OL see if Quinn has what it takes and it will not cost you that much. If it does not work out dump him. I like Quin he just became the scapegoat for a HORRIBLE Cleveland line almost as bad as The skins.

Posted by: obxneric | March 12, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

This would be a worst case scenario. Not only is Claussen cocky and under achieving, but we also don't need a friggin quarterback.

Posted by: Andymr | March 12, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

The ONLY acceptable reason for the Redskins to not take Russell Okung with their top pick is if Tampa Bay wiffs and Eric Berry is still on the board.

Posted by: tfirey | March 12, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Does Kiper know that Vinnie does not work for the Redskins anymore and that there is a "Real" GM and Coach running the draft this year. Kiper is all about promoting his own predictions and smelling his own gas!

Posted by: JohnWWW | March 12, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Clausen also played with two of the best receivers in college football last year. Most of his passing yards came from deep throws where he just lofted the ball down field and let one of his awesome receivers go up and get it. Defensive backs/safeties couldn't cover Floyd AND Tate. If he tries just throwing the ball up in the air when he is getting pummeled behind our awful offensive line, people will be begging for the days of Jason Campbell.
Clausen was an average college QB. Taking him with the #4 overall pick and putting him behind our joke of a line would seriously jeopardize any hope this team has of becoming competitive in the near future.

Posted by: axglod | March 12, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone remember Heath Shuler?!!!!!!

Posted by: elliottmjohnsonjr | March 12, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Getting the secound rated player at any position is not an option in the top five of the draft. Exception apparently is the MC-SUH pick.

Posted by: sthai75 | March 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Clausen would be the EXACT same mistake when the Skins took Shuler. This team has a QB, what they don't have is an OL. No RT and certainly no LT. I still can't believe they resigned the sieve Rabach, he's God awful! These guys are like weathermen, they get paid to speculate. So far, Allen and Shanny have kept their plans close to the chest. Don't be surprised if you see a lot of wheeling and dealing during the draft. There's no chance these guys are that dumb as to draft an average QB with the #4 pick. Next year's QB class is supposed to be much better and deeper with talent.

Posted by: Toochilled | March 12, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Kiper is an absolute tard. Always has been, always will be. He is wrong on so many levels every year. I don't understand why ESPN keeps him on as one of their primary draft guys. He is way off every year. Maybe it's the haircut and conviction with which he delivers his horrible predictions. If we select Clausen, I will lose any respect I might have had for Mike Shanahan before he coaches his first game as a Redskin.

Posted by: macleod5000 | March 12, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

The irony being, of course, that the Redskins HAVE had success with a Notre Dame QB, a guy who took them to two SBs, directed an offense that set an NFL scoring record, and was league MVP.

But before I endorse Kiper's argument, I would also note that Theisman took a few years to come around (including a stop in the CFL), and it took a HOF coach to bring out the best in him.

But being a Notre Dame QB is not a disqualifier in and of itself.

Posted by: jahtez | March 12, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Kiper is an entertaining guy who makes lousy predictions in a huge, nationwide forum. I am REALLY hoping he is once again wrong in this case.

If, for some reason, Bradford is around at #4, the Skins should take him. Otherwise it has to be Okung.

Posted by: drischord | March 12, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

"But being a Notre Dame QB is not a disqualifier in and of itself."

A ND QB under Weiss is.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 12, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kolchak | March 12, 2010 11:51 AM

Exactly.

Clausen is the beneficiary of "analyst" (note: nothing from former QBs) hype because he throws hard. I remember when he was in high school and ESPN literally creamed their pants about him and where he'd go play college. Well, he put forth an average college career, worthy of a chance at being a backup QB in the NFL. McCoy will be a better NFL QB. So will anyone else on next year's Heisman list.

Posted by: Section104 | March 12, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Oh...oh...potential contravercy here; didn't Snyder/Cerrato talk to Shanahan before Allen was hired? Guess who Allen hired.
Didn't Snyder/Cerrato take a trip to scout Bradford and Clausen? Guess who Allen might draft?
Isn't CP buddies with Snyder? Guess who is the lone remaining running back?
Who, exactly, is making the decisions here??
I'm just saying...

Posted by: scmonty1 | March 12, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Campbell will work in the short term, at the very least. He's had a respectable QB rating for the last two years while getting beat to death behind a deteriorating O-line and having modestly talented receivers. They need O-line help more than anything else. Shanny knows this because he's arguably an offensive genius. Why draft a rookie QB, only to have him lose confidence behind a crappy line?

Posted by: shanks1 | March 12, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

The Skins need to draft linemen this draft. The best prospect is actually Jake Locker from UW not Clausen or Bradford. If after this year the Skins are still lousy they can draft Locker in 2011 since basically every team would love to trade from the top spot if they could. If Campbell does well under Shanahan's offense than a QB won't be needed.

The Skins have too many needs to bring in another young QB to get killed behind a terrible O-line.

Posted by: skinsFan74 | March 12, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Skins would be better off with no quarterback at all -- or at least filling in with any number of journeymen QBs available in free agency -- than in continuing the insanity of awarding the loser they have with yet another season of uncontested starting time.

Posted by: Vic1 | March 12, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Amen, McShay!!!!!!!

here's the my simple question/analysis I learned from when the SKins picked Heath Shuler. Did the guy carry the team with his arm?

For an NFL QB, runs of 20 yards do not apply. what did he do with his arm? One of the things people knock Jason Campbell for is he never really wins a game with his arm. It's a legit issue to many. (I support JC now, but i never saw him as a 1st round QB either.)

Well, for Clausen when did you ever see them win the game with his arm. Look at the competition too. Who did Notre Dame beat that was good and Clausen showed something with his arm. Remember how a USC which wasn't even good this past year trounced Notre Dame?

Let's also add that Clausen was throwing to 3 guys that will make the NFL in Golden Tate and the other WR(#3) and the big 6'6" TE, who might be a monster. Sam Bradford was the same with talent around him. Malcolm kelly, a 2nd round pick, the TE (#18) is projected to be a late 1st round pick in this year's draft. These guys are decent college QBs with a ton of talent around them.

Anybody remember Danny Weurffel?

Posted by: oknow1 | March 12, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The funniest, and truest, opening to a blog post I think I have ever read. Wonderful!

And while I love a good Dubliner, Maytag holds a special place in my heart.

Posted by: hithere1 | March 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Their is a reason why Kiper is a talking head we only hear from for a couple monthes per year..

He is an idiot.

They need OL help. If for some reason Okung is gone at this pick... Then trade down and get someone like Campbell or one of the other tackles and pick up an extra pick or two and draft MORE O-lineman.

The only reason they should even consider a QB early in the draft is if someone coughs up the first rounder they tagged JC with. By early though I mean 2nd or 3rd round, not the first.

Posted by: soriphius | March 12, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Kiper worry about the Ravens,The Skins need to address the offensive line withthe number 4 pick, Clausen is average at best....

Posted by: BeatDontStop | March 12, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

What would Peyton Manning do behind Washington's OL?

Exactly.

Take the best available OL at #4.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 12, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

What's funny about all of this is, the minute Jason has a few bad games and Jimmy Clausen has some good ones these are the same morons that will say, I told you we needed a QB we needed Jimmy Clausen. We was happy to see Mike Shanahan walk in the door so shut the f up and let him do whats best for this team. Who ever he picks Oline, QB, RB it don't matter its what he thinks is best for the redskins. So please shut up

Posted by: pikedawg | March 12, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Stranahan (I know I spelled that wrong, but I'm still hung up on those easy names like Gibbs) has been looking for the next John Elway for years and years, and can't seem to find him. Tell him to call Dan Reeves and ask him who he likes. Clausen is another Gus Frerotte, Brad Johnson, Jim Zorn (another easy name I happen to like) competent and capable, but not the guy to carry a team, like Stranahan (ibid.) likes.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | March 12, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Claussen is a Vinny pick, plain and simple. If the Redskins take him, then it will show that Snyder is still in control. If the Redskins take someone other than an O-Lineman, then it will show that Shan-Allen are nothing but Snyder yes men, and nothing will change. Then again, I'm not convinced the future is now.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | March 12, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

If the Redskins take Clausen, I am done forever with this team.

Posted by: ThisGuy | March 12, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Kiper = Hot Air. I agree with McShay. Take a Tackle, and look for more O linemen later in the draft...

Posted by: tomstark | March 12, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato is on Team Clausen, in the guy's entourage. Vinny and Kiper are chums. This is a 100% pimp job. Predicting the Skins' draft choice based on Vinny's conception of the 'perfect fit' into his formerly Super Bowl roster is not a job for the Amply Haired One.

Posted by: dcsween | March 12, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

"To me, how do you pass on a Russell Okung, the best offensive tackle in this draft, a guy that can help rebuild your offensive line..."

Ding! Ding! Ding!

We have a weiner. :P

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 12, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

First off,Mel sleeps in his Notre Dame boxers. He loves everything about Notre Dame and regards Weis as a coaching God. Fact is I don't want a kid playing QB here who gets his ass kicked after the game (another loss)defending his honor in a bar fight.Draft 5 offensive lineman in a row if you have to but this line needs to be fixed now.

Posted by: wellscats | March 12, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

take Okung with the 4th pick and then try to land someone like Colt McCoy later in the draft to develop

we don't need Jimmy Clausen

Posted by: graywolf323 | March 12, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

While I would rather see them draft an offensive linemen, Clausen would not be a bad choice at #4. I am a ND fan (but I thought he was highly overrated as a Freshman and mildly overrated as a sophomore). Last year proved to me how good he really is though. Every game before he got hurt came down to who had the ball last. If Notre Dame had the ball last, they would score and win. If the other team had the ball last, the ND defense would fold. He played through a lot of pain and still was one of the best quarterbacks in the country this year. He makes great decisions, can avoid pressure, has a good arm, and is accurate. Don't think that he is going to be the next Brady Quinn just because he is from Notre Dame. If he were coming out of USC, you guys would like him a lot more.

Anyone want to compare Sanchez's 2008 #'s against Clausen's 2009 #$'s (and remember, Clausen played hurt the majority of the year)?

Posted by: jazapfsp | March 12, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I would not be disapointed if we chose Clausen with the 4th pick. Mike Mayock on NFL network said that Clausen reminded him of Mark Sanchez(throwing motion & command in the huddle) and a lot of scouts & GM's have Clausen rated higher than Bradford. I think the Lions would chose Okung with the second pick to protect M. Stafford and they seem to be leaning that way. There will be LT's available with the #37 pick. I think our pick will be a QB and the rest of our picks will focus on the OL.

Posted by: armstrongma | March 12, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell me why we must select a QB with the #4 pick. Our OL is old and we need to go younger. Okung is the Answer plain and simple. Why not draft a qb in round 2 or 4, or make a trade for more picks. But I really like Lefeaveur from Central Michigan. Mike draft him, he is just as good if not better than the ones Kiper and McShay like and call 1st round talent. I say wait and pick one up later.

Posted by: lexkylace | March 12, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I was getting really upset as I read the article, but as I read the comments I feel a little better. Surely if we all see that taking Clausen at #4 would be the worst thing the Skins could do, then Shanahan and Allen must see it that way, too. We need the best OL available, and Okung would be an excellent choice there. If Clausen was still sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd, I'd consider it, but even then there would probably better choices for the Skins needs. I don't think that there is really a QB in this years draft that fits the Skins needs. Build the O Line, and D back up, and then next year (assuming Campbell does not break out this year) make a move on a QB.

Posted by: sgtskins44 | March 12, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Let's see. Clausen:

• Is ridiculously overrated because he plays for Notre Dame and on NBC every week.
• Has good-but-not-great arm strength.
• Has definite maturity issues, ever since he stepped out of that Humvee limo to announce his commitment to ND.
• Never beat a ranked team, despite starting for four years on a team full of elite recruits (maybe some of that was due to coaching, but not all).
• Looks more like the next Rick Mirer or Ron Poulus than he does the next Joe Theisman or Joe Montana.

Oh yeah — waste a draft pick on this guy. If the Redskins are lucky, he'll be Pat Ramsey, Part II.

Posted by: DC2Dallas | March 12, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

It's simple. Build the O-Line this year and give JC some protection and time for that unit to gell. Next year will be another year for QBs (assuming we do not rise above 4-12)if we need one. Neither Bradford nor Claussen are great and deserving of a franchise pick. We did well with Samuels. Now it is time to do it again with Okung and the best OL player left at #37. We need to upgrading blocking before we can improve running and passing. Please send this to the Danny!!!

Posted by: changer2 | March 12, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Let's believe that the brain trust is laying low HOPING that everyone listens to Kiper. Then, the Bills panic and trade up to get Clausen and we acquire more picks. If they don't panic, we take Okung and McCoy (2nd round). They are playing it perfectly (I hope - at least there's hope - with Vinnie and company, there was no hope at all).

Posted by: eaglecoachk | March 12, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

My only reservations about what's been said is that Okung won't be available at #4 because Detroit is likely to take him at #2. What would it be best to do at #4 if Okung is gone?

Posted by: seltzer1 | March 12, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: changer2 | March 12, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

WE NEED A New "O" Line. Stick with Campbell

We got Kemoeatu and now Hicks. He's building that line back up, that is
what we have DO. Hopefully Williams will stay in shape will make good
od on his 9 mill, I like the decision to keep Rabacn too you need a vet.
I think they are going to address the O line in the draft

Hopefully Williams will stay in shape will made good on his 9 mil,
I like the decision to keep Rabach.

Posted by: Shinin7777 | March 12, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

an good fit kiper is gettign worse every year. Kiper is a big notre dame so no shocker he puts skins with overrated clausen . who proved nothing in college. People complained about Campbell leadership Clausen has no leadership. his actions on the field where not close to what i want in a qb .

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | March 12, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Mel Kiper is totally ego-driven. He imagines that Shanny is also ego-driven and would take inferior talent to get a quarterback he can call his own. Based on statements and actions by Shanahan, as well as his history, this is far-fetched. I am with the guy who thinks Shanahan and Allen are smart enough to encourage dis-information. Fans be patient and the truth will come out.

Posted by: StevenGrossman | March 12, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Claussen = Heath Shuler.

Posted by: AsstGM | March 12, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I think it is pretty simple...Take one of the two defensive tackles Suh/McCoy if they are available(because they help the skins transition to 3-4 and they are probably the best 2 players on the board) or in the likely event that they are off the board...go with Okong or Berry....in a heartbeat.....NO CLAUSEN.....NO BRADFORD either.! My preference would be Berry because I think his talent would be harder to match via free-agency as compared to Okong's....but really either one would be an A+ in my book...

But then again the redskins have a way of making even the most simple decisions very complicated so I'm not holding my breath.

Posted by: Loganhop | March 12, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you guys watched the same Notre Dame team this year I did. Floyd was hurt for half the season. Rudolph missed the last three games. They couldn't run the ball the entire year even when Armando Allen was healthy. And Clausen was hurt for 3/4 of the year with turf toe.

If you find a QB that you think is a franchise QB, you take him, whether it be Bradford or Clausen. No matter who they take, I will be happy because the decision will not be made by Cerrato and Snyer, but by the new regime.

I personally think Bradford will spend most of his career injured, but if Shanny and Allen think he is the guy to go with, I support their decision.

Posted by: jazapfsp | March 12, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Putting a rookie QB no matter how good behind a horrid offensive line is a receipe for disater.

Rebuild the line, keep the QB we have, and if that does not pan out at least you have the foundation built (offensive/defensive lines), all that is left is to go get another QB either through FA or another year's draft.

Posted by: impact32 | March 12, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't see why people like Clausen so much, his stats aren't that impressive and he looks like he's 12 - basically another Colt Brennan. I don't argue we need another QB, for at least a back-up spot, but come on - you can get a good QB in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th round (can you say Tom Brady?).

Posted by: DCcatfan | March 12, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@obxneric -- "Here is an idea...trade Carter to Cleveland for Quinn"

...pretty sure Cleveland runs a 3-4 also, I doubt they'd do that swap.

Posted by: Naterade | March 12, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Love how dumb the people are here. People like the guy above me saying his stats aren't impressive?? WTF??

He had 28 TDs and 4 INT last year while completing 68% of his passes. If he was completing 68% of his passes that is pretty impressive if "Most of his passing yards came from deep throws where he just lofted the ball down field". Michael Floyd was out half of the year. He could barely even move half of the year too his turftoe was so bad while all this happened.

The dude will absolutely be a playmaker and has the swagger you want in a QB. People complaining about his limo to ND when he was in High School??? People grow up. People complaining he got sucker punched in a bar??

I don't even like Notre Dame either but I can at least be objective.

Posted by: bmoreryan | March 12, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe all the Clausen haters. By far the most absurd comment was that he got his coach fired. Anyone who watched any ND football last year knows that the defense let them down in EVERY loss. Clausen has all the physical tools, leadership skills and that fire in his belly that some QB's that are very likable guys seem to lack. Oh yeah, and he already plays in a west coast offense. Draft him at #4. We can get a tackle next year (and with our #2 this year). Next year we won't draft 4th.

Posted by: shawn093 | March 12, 2010 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone talking about picking noodle armed McCoy with our 2nd round pick? We need a QB with an NFL arm. Give Colt Brennan more PT this preseason and see how he develops.

Posted by: kenboy1 | March 13, 2010 3:47 AM | Report abuse

Everyone seems to be coming to the realization that Bradford will be gone before the # pick rolls around, but I believe Okung will be a Lion by then; so that may leave us with a choice b/w Davis/Bulaga or Clausen. Okung is the only OT which deserves to be in the top 5 picks.
Clausen's the choice in that scenario. Clausen may be a step lower than Bradford, but he's a step or 2 above the other available QBs. Normally, there are only a couple of franchise QBs in each year's draft. I hope we are not drafting this early again for a long time, so we need to pick our man now. There's 5 OTs in the this draft that could possibly hold down the LT position for the next 10 years. Campbell can play another year, but don't fool yourself, like every GM in the league knows, if JC was going to develop into a frachise QB, he would have done it by now. Kiper may be difficult to stomach at times, but his analyses of Clausen is correct. If Bradford and Okung are gone, take Clausen!

Posted by: elderdave1 | March 13, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

there is one compelling reason to draft Claussen, and only one! it would make life easier for some of the numbnuts on RI to recycle their dump JC posts two years down the road.

Posted by: mdrockjock | March 13, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I support the Clausen haters out there.

I just don't see Shanahan and Allen falling in love with this Clausen kid and I'm not even sure they would draft Bradford either.

Let me explain, alot of what we see and read about pertaining to these QBs is simply HYPE. Bradford doesn't have "under-center" experience and was not trained in a "pro style" offense. Also don't forget about Bradford's shoulder injury (huge red flag). So with that said, even if he is available with the 4th pick, I bet we won't pick him.

As for Clausen, he's okay but he's not the franchise guy you want to take at #4.

Here's my prediction: Redskins are sitting at #4 with Bradford, Okung, Suh, or McCoy available. I predict we won't take any of them but a few teams will want to move up to take a chance on these guys. That's good news.

I realize this sounds crazy but do we absolutely know for sure that Okung is really what Shanahan wants in a Left O-Tackle? We don't know...but all the mock guru's seem to be able to read both Shanahan and Allens minds.

I'm betting we will trade back and pickup additional picks.

Remember, we just dumped 10 players and because of that we need serious depth at LB, OL, RB, Safety, and most importantly QB.

I'm hoping by trading back to the middle of the first round, we can pick up an additional 2nd/3rd (and maybe a 4th or 5th) round pick to help solve these needs.

BTW, if we trade back we shouldn't trade back any further than 14 or 15. We should still be able to get a quality starting Left O-Tackle then.

Peace out!

Posted by: martin_riley84 | March 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I just realized, if a team were to trade up to the top 5 they will probably need to give up more than their a 2nd or 3rd round pick as the bait. They will probably need to give up their 1st round pick next year as well as a 5th rounder this year.

Maybe we can get our franchise QB next year cause I don't see one in this years draft. I say draft for depth like the good teams , i.e. eagles, patriots, colts, etc.. And wait patiently for right QB
to come along.

Just some food for thought.

Posted by: martin_riley84 | March 13, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

OK, so here's my question. If they take Clausen, who's going to protect him?

Posted by: tmkelley | March 13, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This is not going to be a one year rebuilding process. There is not a great deal of difference between the best OT in the league and the 15th best OT; it measurement is simple, either you made your blocking assignment or not. No points for pancaking the DE. The difference b/w the best QB and the 15th best QB is huge; make the read, make all of the throws,buy time, etc. Get a QB which has the potential to be top 5 in years to come while we can.

Posted by: elderdave1 | March 13, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

O-L-I-N-E PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

If Shani and Allen wants a QB soooo bad get it in the 2nd rd.

Bradford and Clausen are gonna be busts you heard it here first!

Jake Locker of Washington would be the next big QB after Matt Ryan! plus there's more senior better QBs in 2011

Posted by: datruth21 | March 13, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

None of the major quarterbacks have thrown yet. Clausen could possibly fall to the early second round for all we know.

Posted by: ccollier123 | March 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

CLAUSSEN pickle...... do we really need that joke in DC... the league and the outstanding coverage by people who could careless... words like sour, dill,dip come into mind... along with soup we got a party

Posted by: travmanf | March 13, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

""You go back to Jake Plummer, when he brought him in from Arizona; you go to Brian Griese, drafted him in the second round; Jay Cutler, drafted him in the first round. Now all of the sudden he can identify Jimmy Clausen as his guy at 4."

----------------------------------------

LOL Mel. It's not like Plummer, Griese, and Cutler were exactly success stories. Keep the QBs - Jason, Todd, Colt. Draft a lineman Shan the Man.

Posted by: hz9604 | March 13, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

What has Clausen done to deserve such a high pick?

Arm? Far from great
Leadership? Laughable
Big game wins? Any? At all?

Posted by: Bious | March 14, 2010 12:09 AM | Report abuse

The guy has already shown he has an attitude problem. But so does Kiper.

Posted by: BigTrees | March 14, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Okung should be the number 4 pick. The first reason, b/c he can be a starter on the first day of the season, possibly pro bowl caliber, and a team leader. Secondly, the O-line is the weakest link in the offensive and he can make the QB, RB, and WRs better. Thirdly, Campbell is a serviceable QB and Clausen has only shown us that he is immature and he can't win the big rivalry games against mediocre teams. Clausen does not have the arm or the mental toughness that it takes to be a pro QB, and we cannot afford to throw away the fourth pick.

Posted by: bbern22033 | March 14, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

If we draft Claussen, I say we throw Claussen pickels at this guy after this guy inevitably jumps the shark and every time he throws an interception. We should also throw them at the owners box.

Posted by: bbern22033 | March 14, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone acting as if there isn't a g.m. in the Redskins' organization ? Remember the reason the 'skins were ridiculed before was for impulsive decisions.That works great in marketing , but not in football ! When you look at the 2011 class, the only 2010 qb that compares is Bradford.In addition there are potentially 3-4 1ST round qb's available.Locker, Mallett, luck, & that gigantic kid from Delaware are all better that Clausen and have bigger arms !....Wait, please ! Remember Rome / D.C wasn't built in a day.

Posted by: orpheusgroupent | March 14, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

You may not like Mel Kiper's pick, but I am willing to bet that Shanahan does.

Clausen is accurate, played in pro-set offense at a high-profile school, good arm strength, plays hurt, and has swagger. No one that is drafted is going to play behind our O-line now, that is why Jason was signed for another year. And who here thinks that our record will stink like last year under the Shanny? No way we are in position to draft this high again, so we will pick a QB. The crowd fave as top QB is Bradford, so Rams will take him. Which will leave Jimmy. Easy pick.

As for O-line, it will be built this year and next. The consensus opinion is that you can always draft good line help later. Maybe not elite LT, but good. Not to mention that we have signed some Oline help and resigned some Oline help. O-line will get done, but #4 overall is QB draft position. Did Detroit take an Oline or Safford? Now they will draft a LT.

They are keeping Campbell so they can groom the new guy and rebuild the line this year, and it is easy to do because no one expects us to win this year or next year. So people should stop saying Oline like we are going to the SB if we draft an Olineman. Elite QB or Oline wont help us do that. So #4 overall will be a QB, unless we get lucky and get Suh as our NT for the 3-4. Suh and Albert on our front is monster!!!

The only thing that makes me think we MAY draft Oline, is that Allen said we are going to do something we dont normally do in this draft when he was hired. Other than that...Im comfortable with drafting any QB with fire that plays hurt and in a situation where he is watched and criticized (ND) every game. As for his maturity and swagger, he is a kid in college with all kinds of hype around him everyday. Everyone in freaking college is immature to this pro game. Deion Sanders was as immature as they get...but how did he turn out? So was John Elway...so lets just wait and see and support the team like we always do, (as if we could really get worse) lol.

Posted by: dark_some | March 15, 2010 6:39 AM | Report abuse

So, the Skins draft Okung at #4, and Campbell will all of a sudden be the QB all the Skins fans have been waiting for?
Please, give it a rest. Shanahan isn't sold on Campbell. Why did Campbell get a low tender?
Shanahan knows QB's. At the #4 pick, he can't pass on a franchise QB. The draft is deep at OT. The Skins can build the OL in the later rounds.
The idea of building the OL and Campbell will be a pro bowler is ridiculous. Campbell is average at best.
And to think the Skins gave up picks, too move up in the draft, to select Campbell. The Skins could have drafted Aaron Rodgers, who was sacked more times than Campbell last year. But he still threw for 4400 yds, 30 TDS, and he went to the playoffs. Green Bays OL WAS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!

Posted by: ErnieBllngs | March 15, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

I can hear the BOOOOS already

Posted by: trousers | March 15, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Let's see...pick a very questionable QB who couldn't start a game this coming season or a fantastic OL...hmmm...oh, and that OL could start game 1. Oh, and the offensive line desperately needs an OL or 2...that's a tough choice. Hopefully Shannahan and Allen are not smoking crack on draft day. Somebody, anybody, please lock up Danny boy and take away his check book so that he doesn't mess things up. Clausen...sheesh.

Posted by: SorrySkins | March 15, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

I am a lifelong Irish fan that just happend to also love the Redskins. And I say please don't bring Clausen to here. I'm starting to think that Mel Kiper is taking kick backs, like Jim Bowden was getting when he was the Nats G.M. Look the only reason Clausen had any type of season was because of Golden Tate and Michael Floyd having to make plays on Clausen "moon-balls"...

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | March 15, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't anyone remember Heath Shuler?!!!!!!
Posted by: elliottmjohnsonjr
_____
Doesn't anyone remember Tony Mandarich?? a sure thing tackle drafted before Barry Sanders.. He was a BUST to!!! There is no sure thing in a draft.. Clausen maybe is another Shuler or he maybe he's like another #7 out of Notre Dame.. Joe Theismann. Thing is it looks like Okung will be gone. The Lions have already signed 2 DL men.. are they really going to draft a 3rd??? If he is gone there is no OL that derserves to go this high. Also the Skins do not have a franchise QB and we will go nowhere without one. Most experts put Clausen as the 2nd best QB in this draft.. to me that makes him worth the risk.

Posted by: sovine08 | March 15, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

OK, so here's my question. If they take Clausen, who's going to protect him?
Posted by: tmkelley
____
Here's my question if with draft Okung assuming he is available which he won't be) who will throw the ball??? Campbell?? JC sucked when Pro Bowler Samuels was healthy and playing LT so why do you think JC will become a star because of Okung??? Teams rebuild with a franchise QB.. The Cowboys did it with Aikman, the Eagles did it with McNabb the Giants did it with Manning.. all these teams had other needs but until you get your QB in place nothing else matters... Campbell is NOT a franchise QB so the Skins need to pick a QB. Clausen will be the best QB available when they pick so he's the guy.. The Skins can address the OL in other rounds or with free agents.

Posted by: sovine08 | March 15, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08
----------------------------------------

why would we select clausen? so he can sit for a year while being paid WAY too much money to do so?

according to your logic, all you need is one good offensive lineman and you're set! the other 4 can be mediocre and your team is ready for the playoffs! oh wait, that's how our offensive line has been for the past 10yrs. if it didn't work for the past 10yrs, it'll work this year right?

look at what the jets did. look at what the ravens did. look at what the falcons did. they built DOMINANT offensive lines. the jets went to the playoffs by pounding the ball and playing smashmouth defense. the ravens? the falcons? same blueprint. neither had great qbs like a manning/favre/rivers/brees/etc. you could even make the case for the vikings roster. they have a dominant offensive line, great running game, and a defense that can take over games.

naysayers will say but favre took them to the playoffs. they were an above .500 team without favre. even so, if your qb has no time to throw and your rbs can't run, how can you develop the rest of the offensive weapons?

Posted by: nhizzat | March 15, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Every year Mel K spouts and spews all his thoughts and knowledge on the draft. A lot of sports media outlets seem to love this stuff (great filler material for the off season, I suppose) and so we all get subjected to it. But has anybody ever checked to see how Kiper's picks have fared over the years. I'd really like to see that chart.

Posted by: clfrdj | March 15, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

i'm gonna throw another name out there, jamarcus russell. #1 overall in 07, good pick right there...

joe thomas went to the browns with the 3rd pick in the same draft. he's played 48 games and started all 48, been in the league for 3 years and been to 3 pro bowls.

jake long went #1 overall in 08 to the dolphins and look at their running game. been in the league for 2 yrs, been to 2 pro bowls.

hard to judge jason smith (#2 overall to the rams) from last season when the team wins 1 game...

so tell me again why clausen makes sense? you would think that after 10yrs of awful FO decisions that redskins fans would want the smart pick. the #4 pick means you're paying someone a lot of $$$$$, i'd rather take a 'risk' on okung cause he can contribute immediately...not clausen who is either gonna be standing on the sidelines with a clipboard or being pummeled behind or sieve of an OLine...

Posted by: nhizzat | March 15, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nhizzat
_____
You mean like what the Redskins did with Campbell????

Posted by: nhizzat
_____
Actually thats the logic of those who think all we have to do is sign Okung and Campbell will be a star... I say yeah build an OL but that doesn't mean you have to use your first pick of the draft. remember Russ Grimm was drafted in the 3rd round.. Joe Jacoby was a FA. Skins have other picks and can sign FA lineman to fix line.

Posted by: nhizzat
_____
Whos saying don't build a line? Just saying having a great OL but not a franchise QB and we'll go nowhere either... Falcons were I believe 5-11 they had a lot of needs but drafted Ryan first. Lions had a lot of needs last year but drafted Sanford first... QB's are the difference makers in this league.. Colts could lose a OL man or 2 and the Colts would still be great.. same for the Saints.. but if they didn't have Manning or Brees.. No super bowl

Posted by: nhizzat
____
C'mon what were the Cards doing before Warner.. Vikes??? you don't think Favre was the difference to them winning the division??? Look a lot of teams with great OL's never made it to the Super Bowl in this in this league because they didn't have a good enough QB. Does a good OL make a QB better.. sure.. but a good QB can make an OL better to.

Posted by: sovine08 | March 15, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Since I never got to see Ryan Leaf play, I'll be OK with Claussen at #4. We're falling behind the Raiders a little in the freak show stakes, and this would vault us back to even par with them.

Posted by: ArchieTambo | March 15, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Hey don't worry if the Skins draft an OL man we might be worse off.. Cause if you don't remember Leaf you surely don't remember Andre Johnson... Redskins drafted him number 1 in the 1996 draft.. and was so bad he never even played for the Skins... "In his NFL career he only played three games, each for the Lions and is usually considered to be one of the worst first round picks of all time."

Posted by: sovine08 | March 15, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse