Lombardi projects Clausen to Skins

A week after Mel Kiper said Jimmy Clausen would be "an ideal fit" for the Redskins at No. 4 in the first round, another national has weighed in with a similar opinion.

This time it was Michael Lombardi, whose first mock draft for the NFL Network has the Skins passing on any offensive linemen in favor of the QB from Notre Dame.

"Shock pick here," Lombardi says at No. 4. "My man Mike Shanahan, he sat there in Dove Valley all those years with quarterbacks, he moved over to the Tech Center [neighborhood] where he had an office. Jimmy Clausen, scouted him a lot, went through all the quarterbacks. He knows he needs a quarterback. He is the pro style. Fits him perfectly."

Guessing the fan reaction to this won't be much better than the reaction was last week.

(Via Matt Mosley)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 15, 2010; 2:55 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: A reasonable take on Ovechkin's hit
Next: Georgetown wins Atlantic 11 for third time

Comments

You want to bet on the fans reaction I have one if they do this and pass on a lineman I will send them all my Redskins items and start cheering for the Saints !

That is at least one fan take on this !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: joevick2 | March 15, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I guess my Sundays this fall have opened up. What should I do with the time, I wonder?

Posted by: yatesc1 | March 15, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

DRAFT AN O-LINEMEN OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Posted by: classicskins | March 15, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Where did this guy learn how to speal or write English?

We have no idea what Allen and Shanahan are going to do because there is no previous history. Anyone who speculates is doing just that.

In my opinion, unless Bradford is available at #4, we should pick up some O Lineman. Recent Notre Dame QBs haven't excelled in the NFL. I would prefer that we trade down and pick up more picks.

Time will tell.

Posted by: neil64 | March 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

If Russell Okung is available at #4, take him, he is a 10 year tackle. If he is gone trade down and get 2 off lineman. The more Shanahan gets to know Campbell the less likely he will be to waste their #1 on a Notre Dame QB. I think the skins are playing mum so they can see who might be interested in trading up for that pick.

Posted by: wgoodm01 | March 15, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

If the Skins draft Clausen at #4 I am done. He is a GUARANTEED BUST. Period.

Posted by: SadieV | March 15, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I hope this is a crock. That and a stoppage in 2011 and I am out.For good.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 15, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Gross. Clausen is a joke. Thanks for ruining my week Steinberg!

Posted by: Section104 | March 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

All you phony fans who say your done if the Skins take a QB at 4 are full of Sh!t. First off if you would give up on "your team" just like that you are not a real fan of the team anyway. Second if they picked one of those guys and they ended up being stars you would be right there on the bandwagon. So I wish you all would just SHUT UP!!!

Posted by: wstclair | March 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Way to be selective in the mocks you show. I've read at least 4 recently including cbssports.com today, all which list the Redskins as picking Okung. Maybe the Bod just wants Clausen.

OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG OKUNG!!!!

Posted by: dovelevine | March 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

If that's the way he goes, it's alright with me. Made a star out of Jake the Snake, didn't he?

In Shanny I trust.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 15, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Taking Clausen at #4 pick is WAY too big of a gamble -- kind of like going to Vegas and putting all your chips on your lucky number at the roulette wheel.

If Allen and Shanahan really love Clausen, then they MUST trade down in round 1 for extra picks in the second and third rounds to use on O-lineman and gamble that Clausen will still be there in the middle of round #1 - a much better and safer bet.

Taking Clausen at #4 is like going to Vegas and putting all your chips on your lucky number before you even check into the hotel.

Posted by: hapster | March 15, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Ugh... ugh, ugh, ugh.

Posted by: drischord | March 15, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

wstclair -- Blah blah blah thanks for the same old holier than thou comment someone always posts. Nobody is quitting on the team; people are just venting their frustration.

Posted by: Andymr | March 15, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Lets not get ahead of things just yet. IMO Mr. Shanahan and Mr. Allen will do the right thing.

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | March 15, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

That is at least one fan take on this !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: joevick2

If the Skins draft Clausen at #4 I am done. He is a GUARANTEED BUST. Period.

Posted by: SadieV

Sure the Skins have O-Line needs, and Okung seems like a logical choice, but he's not a slam dunk. I've followed the Skins long enough to remember this guy:

For every Heath Shuler, there's an Andre Johnson. Too bad we drafted both guys. No one here knows whether Jimmy Clausen is a surefire bust or a sure thing. I think Shanahan is probably in better position to make that evaluation. If we draft Clausen, and he goes on to a HOF career, I guess you'll be rooting against the Skins, so it won't matter to you anyway.

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 15, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

wstclair - So to be a "real fan" of the team I have to blindly support everything they do? I guess I'm not a real fan, then. Frankly, that sounds like an idiotic way to go through life.

Posted by: yatesc1 | March 15, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll hate the pick but I'll still support Clausen and hope he can help turn this team around. It does no good to gripe and complain about a guy because I don't agree with him being picked as the QB. I'm not gonna stoop to the level of JC haters.

Posted by: moseley_brian | March 15, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Can Mike Lombardi speak in complete sentences? And if not, can the Bog translate for us?

"sat there in Dove Valley all those years with quarterbacks, he moved over to the Tech Center [neighborhood)..."

Like a string of random words. What and where is Dove Valley? Why were QBs sitting there? Tech Center? What the hell?

Posted by: bigfoot1 | March 15, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

They alredy have a JClausen... his name is CBrennan. The only differences is Brennan can grow facial hair

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | March 15, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

These guys are no better qualified to make a guess at who the redskins will draft than you or I. Last year, I went on trips to California in Oct, Nov, and Dec, and met my wife. So if the Redskins pick Clausen maybe all you single guys can go out West and see some beauty. HAHA!

Posted by: ksykes3 | March 15, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Whaaaaaat??????? Colt Brennan is better than this DUD. Jason is definitely better. A comp QB can be had in round 4 or later. Puuuuuuuuleeeeeeze don't do this. Fat guys first

Posted by: devans_design | March 15, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

How many of you crack talent evaluators REALLY knows what goes into deciding factors on what player would be best taken here or there. All of you see 4-6 games over a collegiate career and see what you consider a great player. How many paychecks you got for that? Game film being broken down frame by frame by people who knows or at the very least get paid big dollars for making these decisions. Let the the professionals do there jobs please.

Posted by: bossclifnpooh2 | March 15, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Colt Brennan sounds ready to compete - http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100307/SPORTS04/3070352/Good+sign+Brennan+healthy+again

Jason Campbell is the consummate professional.

We need to stack the o-line through draft and FA, run the ball 45-50 times a game, setting up the play action and see what these QB's can do with some decent protection. We DO NOT need to roll the dice on QB in a year with no clear cut bad ass. Clausen has failure written all over him...

Posted by: macleod5000 | March 15, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I've got an idea...why don't the Skins pick Safety Berry, sign the QB cut by the Browns (made the Pro Bowl) and use the brunt of the remaining picks on OL? This draft has a bunch of good OL and Shanahan is a master at developing good OL players.

Posted by: bobleme | March 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobleme | March 15, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

We don't really know what other teams will do, nor do we know what the Skins will do. What would be the advantage of letting everybody else in the league know their plans?

I hope the lack of free agent moves on the o-line signals a decision to grab as many o-linemen as we can get in a draft supposedly rich in o-linemen. The buzzword around here lately has been "patience". Now that the franchise is showing some restraint, maybe the team will adopt a more "blue collar" attitude.

Would anyone be surprised if one of our super-talented Tight Ends is traded for draft choices? Why the rush to put a young QB behind a porous line? Until the o-line is fixed, anyone we put back there would be "cannon fodder." For the past 10 years, at the same time Washington became the place for sexy free agents to get paid, Washington became a dangerous place for young QB's. Now is the time to address the lack of talent on the o-line caused by 10 years of neglect.

For a team seeking to define itself, it makes sense that finding the right QB to pull the trigger is a high priority, but why rush the decision. Is there a Joe Montana, an Elway, or a Marino in this draft? After 10 years of dis-function, it looks like calmer heads are now prevailing.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | March 15, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Have any of you guys actually watched Clausen play or are you basing your draft on what the sports talk idiots say? Clausen is the real deal. Three years under Tom Brady's QB coach, pro system, 68% completions, 4 picks all season, 3 fourth quarter comebacks, etc. etc. I can't believe how the ND haters in the media have twisted his story so far away from the "tangibles". The typical excuses from haters don't add up. For instance, who cares if he came from ND? What school hasn't had any busted QBs that has nothing to do with Clausen. And who doesn't think he has an elite arm? The results speak for themselves you don't throw have the some of the best stats in the nation by throwing ducks... just doesn't add up. And of course, he's "not a great leader". Well, I would rather have a guy that has actually taken his team down the field with 2:00 to play than a guy that is the darling of the press. If you stick to how somebody perfoms on the field, Clausen is the best QB in the draft. Sorry to burst some bubbles here but this is why Shanahan is a pro coach, let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: Jpjr | March 15, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

We don't know what will actually be available at 4. Detroit might wake up and decide they need to protect Stafford and take Okung. I love the way Shanny/Allen seem to be moving things but picking an unproven QB before we can block for him is probably a mistake. We will know a lot more about the new braintrust when this all goes down. I hope its all about building the O and D line and when they can block and run then Jason can fairly be evaluated. No matter who is in we need the O line to be good or it does not matter.

Posted by: MDterpfan | March 15, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Clausen was hit hard in college. He won't last in the NFL behind the line the Redskins currently have.

So, unless they are preparing a major trade to bring in a LT or some other established veteran linemen, the team taking a quarterback at #4 would seem to be a mistake at this time.

What made Flacco and Sanchez productive starters in Year 1 was solid OL play in both Baltimore and NY as well as a ground game that could control the clock.

The Redskins have question marks on the OL and also at RB.

Last year Portis and Johnson together didn't get to 1,000 yards.

None of the receivers outside of Moss has ever had a 50 reception season in the NFL.

The Redskins were bottom five in sacks and yardage lost.

Welcome to Washington, Mr. Clausen??????

If Shanahan forces a QB pick at #4, my opinion of what the Redskins are in the process of doing will be altered considerably.

At that point you can begin to ask the question of whether Shanahan II is going to look a bit like Gibbs II.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 15, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The way quartebacks in taken among the Top 10 picks are paid, you have to play them by year two, they are just too expensive to be backups for any longer than that.

So if the Skins take Clausen at #4, they mine as well get whatever they can for Campbell right now because they will not be able to afford them both, and they will not be able to trade Clausen's contract, even if Campbell has a Pro-Bowl 2010.

That would be a big heartache -- Campbell finally blossoms and they can't even keep him if they want to.

Posted by: hapster | March 15, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 15, 2010 4:45 PM

Ken, I agree with you. No one wants a QB bust with this #1 pick. But you're right, it could also be an OL bust at #1, and I, too, like Shanahan and Allen's ability to evaluate these picks better than mine. So, I'm in the "In Shanahan We Trust" group. I'm hoping for the best. Lord knows we need an OL. And I'm just as sure we need a QB. It all depends on whether you see your franchise QB available with that #1 pick. You don't pass on a franchise QB even if you do need an OL. Our recent experience has people thinking that the LT is the most important position on the field, and it's not. It may be #2, but it's not #1. QB is. And Campbell isn't good enough. So, let's see what Shanahan thinks of the current crop of QBs.

Posted by: OintheSierras | March 15, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Michael Lombardi must be a Cowboys fan.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | March 15, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Besides which, I really don't think Levi Jones did a bad job at all at LT once he got in there. The left side of our line was not a big problem. Knowing that we had to go left due to weakness on the right was a problem.

Posted by: OintheSierras | March 15, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope you don't believe in God jackass its the same thing, blind faith.......

Now my point, they didn't go after the high price free agents like they all said, because there gonna do whats best for the Redskins. So who ever they pick I'm sure they think they are doing whats best for this team!!!!!

Posted by: pikedawg | March 15, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

damn looks like redskin fans will hate Clausen as much as eagle fans hated McNabb...duh...only hope it works out as well for the redskins as it did for the eagles...to hell with the loud mouth haters. HTTR

Posted by: faintom | March 15, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Whatever.

Shanahan must be laughing at all of this. He's smart and knows it all starts up front.

He had one of the best OL's in football in Denver, he could afford to take a QB back then.

It's not the same situation here.

Shanny is not that dumb.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 15, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one that looks at Clausen and get Jay Schroeder flashbacks? Please dont do it Shanny!!!

Posted by: KenMarshall | March 15, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Why, why, why Clausen? Use the draft to get what we need -- beef on the O-line or D-line. Drafting Clausen, or any quarterback, is just an unnecessary waste of a draft pick. And it will take years for Clausen to be even as up-to-speed as Jason Campbell. Will the 'Skins never learn?

Posted by: qball43 | March 15, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that's it, instead of addressing the O-line deficiencies head-on, just go get yourself another fresh, hot shot quarterback who hasn't spent every other down eating the fookin' turf through his face mask yet. Kick the can down the road a little further, and hope he'll survive long enough to see a personnel miracle fall from the sky. Or fly out of Brucie's keister.

Defenses will be salivating come September. Jimmy the Pickle is gonna be a sacrificial tackling dummy. FRESH MEAT.

Posted by: ericenderle | March 15, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

Average Arm
Little leadership
Zero big game wins
Arrogant attitude

Yea, sounds like a perfect fit for the Skins

Posted by: Bious | March 15, 2010 8:36 PM | Report abuse

No O-Linmen, then no to season tickets. Meet the new boss (Allen) same as the old boss (Vinny).

Posted by: clark202 | March 15, 2010 9:38 PM | Report abuse

I think I'm running counter to the collective "wisdom" here. I am not a Notre Dame fan, but did watch most of their games this past year. Clausen is for real - he can make ALL the throws, and pressure doesn't bug him in the least. Without him, last year ND wins MAYBE 4 games. He's been well-coached, and the spotlight won't distract him.

Can you find a starting QB in the third or fourth round? Yes -just like you can find a starting left tackle.

Shanahan's offense demands a quarterback who can make all the throws. It turned Matt Schaub into a Pro Bowl QB in Houston this year. It made Jay Cutler look good. Campbell probably can't make those throws, and his psyche may be ruined by his NFL experience to date. Plus, the fans have zero patience with him now.

Just my 2-cents. You take the best player who fills your greatest need. If it's a QB, so be it.

Posted by: kemp13 | March 15, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

The 4th overall pick will be decided by one man and one man only

His name is Jason Campbell

If he impresses Shanny, it will be an O-linemen

If not...

It will be a QB

real simple

Posted by: byrdinthesky | March 15, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Clausen has had one really good year at ND which was his junior year. He was spotty his freshman year and was the 44th rated NCAA passer his sophomore year. He's leaving this year, forgoing his senior year, after that one good season. If he had stayed and put up similar numbers I'd say yes, draft him, but do you want to bet your #4 pick on a one good year QB?

Posted by: LaureninGlenBurnie | March 15, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Before the 1st round tender, JC would have been a perfect fit for Pittsburgh given BigBen's troubles. Even though Shannahan is a WC guy, I'm hoping he tailors his system to the qb he has.

Posted by: pdfordiii | March 15, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Not a big Clausen fan, but you know how it goes. If they draft him and he goes out there in his first appearance and throws a 70 yard bomb for a TD like Sanchize, he will get popular real quick.

Posted by: daddy00 | March 15, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Sanchize! Good One! I am not a big Clausen fan. He may turn out to be fine, though. I don't really care at this point. I think many of the larger issues are being addressed by the Shanny.

This team is going to have a nasty attitude after the abuse they got from the division last year. Bet on it. If they can put a decent O Line together, they will be a NASTY group to deal with. I'm thinking "No Mercy," and as fans, we're gonna love it.

So, whether they blow a #4 pick on Pickle Boy, or if he turns out to be decent, whatever. Next year is upon us.

By the way, nice gig with the last name "Lombardi," huh? I bet if my name was Lombardi people might think I know my rear from a hole in the ground when it comes to draft analysis, too. What a joke.

Posted by: Thinker_ | March 16, 2010 2:27 AM | Report abuse

wstclair is right. you guys are not real fans if you ever stop liking your team so SHUT UP! U have no idea what tyoe of player jimmy clausen will be. Im not saying hes gonna be great or gonna be a bust. im not saying i want him or not. BUT i dont care who they draft, im gonna be a fan til death and all u STUPID IDIOTS NEED TO SHUT UP. YOUR NOT REAL FANS!!!!! GO REDSKINS!!!1

Posted by: pdtodd12 | March 16, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wstclair | March 15, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

AND - If you're like me you have been through enough losing in the last 17 years that its just another set back and we'll get over it. So stop being so dramatic and just cheer for your team and STFU! or go root for the Ravens or somebody else - cuz if you do we don't want you here anyway.

Posted by: scottmando | March 16, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Yeah well, all the experts predicted that we would have an offer for Peppers at 12:01 am and then Dansby by the next morning ! They where wrong there and they are wrong again ! Shannahan will pick a O lineman ( because he's smart ) and I wouldnt be surprised if he took Tebow in the 2nd and groomed him to be the next Troy Aikman.

Posted by: US-conscience | March 16, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Kiper and some of the other "experts" get paid to create controversy. Someone should ask one of them if his whole salary depended on how his picks turned out each year..then see who gets drafted by each team.
There will always be QB`s coming out of college. Too many of the ones drafted at the top do not make it. Brady was a 6th round pick, Romo..undrafted. It takes a NFL scout with a good eye for talent..as well as the coaching staff. O LINEMEN ESPECIALLY LEFT TACKLE WILL MAKE OR BREAK ANY QB. HOW WOULD BRADY HAVE DONE BEHIND LAST YEAR`S O LINE IN WASHINGTON? SHANNY HAD A LOT OF SUCCESS BECAUSE HE HAD AN O LINE THAT WAS NOT ONLY SOLID..BUT WERE TOGETHER FOR YEARS.
NO QB WILL START FOR THIS TEAM FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS..UNTIL THEY GET A LINE.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | March 16, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I would love to know what Clausen's agent is paying these guys. If Okung is gone, trade down for numbers. The Texas and Washington quarterbacks will be available much later and will be far more successful than Clausen ever will be. Clausen has 'BUST' written all over him.

Posted by: RealConservative | March 16, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Too many busts at Quarterback in the first round to take a risk with our cherished and hard-earned #4 pick! Pick a QB that has some NFL pedigree so we know if they are actually up to the task! The Notre Dame mystique continues - they have not been relevant for decades. Who did they play? Let's take a lot of the risk out of the process and focus on OFFENSIVE LINEMEN! Forget the QB already!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mvlee2 | March 16, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Campbell is a BUM.. Skins should have got rid of him after 2007. You build a team around a franchise QB. The Cowboys did it with Aikman. The Eagles did it with McNabb and the Giants did it with Manning. If Shanahan thinks Clausen can be a franchise QB (and face it he knows more than anyone here).. then DRAFT HIM!!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 16, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mvlee2
____
Take risk out by drafting a offensive lineman??? Have you never heard of Tony Mandarich. If you are a Redskin fan you must of heard of Andre Johnson? If not let me remind you.... "Johnson was a disaster. Not only was he a first-round pick, but then-general manager Charley Casserly traded a third-round pick to move up to this spot to take him. By the time training camp was over, the Redskins knew they had made a big mistake. He never played a single regular season game with Washington. He was cut after his rookie year and picked up by Detroit, but his entire career consisted of three games."

Posted by: sovine08 | March 16, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey! All draft pics are gambles when you look at it, Don't forget the Eagles Booed McNabb when he was drafted because they wanted Ricky Williams and now McNabb is there best player of all time, so you never can be too sure.

Posted by: mobilesuit2000 | March 16, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Lets see what the Redskins full draft and free agent season looks like at offensive line before judging whether Clausen is a good pick (should they take him). If the Skins look solid on the o-line then no problem taking a go at Clausen.

Posted by: 4472jon | March 16, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Oh sweet, Brady Quinn 2, that's just what we need.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 16, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd only be upset at drafting Clausen if he didn't pan out, but we won't know that for a few years anyway. Meanwhile, we have needed a franchise QB in DC for decades. I think it's worth the gamble, especially in a draft that's deep in offensive linemen.

Posted by: crofton | March 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Congrats on boosting your visitor stats with this mildly controversial Redskins post, Dan!

Posted by: Kev29 | March 16, 2010 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: KenMarshall
_____
Jay Schroeder lead the Skins to the NFC championship game. He he didn't get hurt he would have continued leading the Skins... He still holds the Redskin record for most passing yards in a single season passing for over 4000 yrds... If Clausen can be another Schroeder.. then please draft him!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 16, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I just talked to Heath Shuler who said that Clausen would be a great pick for the Skins at #4.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | March 16, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: fearturtle44
______
Well maybe he is a better judge of QB's than a QB himself. All I know is Sonny Jurgensen and Mark Rypien said Campbell was NOT the right QB for the Redskins.. and they were CORRECT!!!!

Posted by: sovine08 | March 16, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Jimmy Clausen is a bust waiting to happen, he toss the ball like a little girl.
If Bradford is on the board i can call that a good pick...
Hopefully the redskins draft will continue like free agent market has gone this year. Addressing the needs of the team and solid players that are not over paid. The over paying of a free agent leads to inflated ego. You pay a guy 40 million and he cant even do his job half the time. they fire people at MCdonalds who dont show up to work, people cant even find work and these guys cry about millions of dollars to play football. time to get tuff on the big babies.
Jimmy Clausen is another baby. I dont care if he played in a pro style offense look at Brady Quinn BUST. Jimmy Clausen BUST.

Better off with Colt Mcoy in the 2nd and a running back in the 4th.

Posted by: unknownsouljah | March 16, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Kiper, and this jerk don't know what they're talking about. Look at all the hype Kiper had with Quinn. He sat there on draft day so embarassed, that the Commish had to shield him in a room away from the media. Now Quinn is off to Denver. These media guys all sat there wanting it to be a QB controversy, and it's not going to happen. They expected Snyder to go out and spend like crazy, but Allen didn't allow it. Pick the best linemen in the draft and let's get our RUNNING GAME back up to par.

Posted by: WARPATH85 | March 16, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I think you guys are crazy on Clausen. Who here has actually watched him play versus listening to sports talk idiots (who loved JaMarcus Russell btw) badmouth the kid to no end because they hate ND and they hate the "arrogant" Charlie Weis who did not deserve to be a college football coach at a major school. Newsflash: Watch some of the tape on youtube. Go ahead, spend a few minutes, study his reads and progression and accuracy. I find myself defending this kid more and more because he plays the game really really well. There is a reason why Mark Sanchez has become good friends with Clausen and is helping him through the draft process. Last year it was Sanchez that was the hated, no-talent, one-year USC QB, who didn't "deserve" his high draft pick according to the internet experts. Seriously guys, watch some real tape (which most didn't bother before badmouthing Sanchez) and then provide a rational explanation about how the guy put up basically the best stats in college football on a losing team. Remember you are drafting Clausen the QB and not Notre Dame. If big time wins in college define a QB then you guys should hope Shanahan drafts Tebow.

Posted by: Jpjr | March 16, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

"Who here has actually watched him play"

I've actually watched him play, I think we all have courtesy of the ND NBC Deal. We get to watch him every weekend...

His "Read progression" is due to the fact that ND has a really good OL and he gets 10 seconds to throw the ball. He was also throwing to two of the best WRs in the game, also he was playing in a system where he was literally throwing the ball 60 times a game. His actual throws aren't that great, he just hucks the ball in the general direction of the receiver and relies on their superior talent to catch it.

He's literally a Carbon Copy of Brady Quinn. Expect the same results.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 16, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

OKUNG.........OKUNG.........OKUNG! If they waste the number 4 pick on Clausen "The Pickle" I will be shocked and deeply dissappointed. I don't care if that kid is the next Joe Montana......I DON'T LIKE HIM! Speaking of which. We could have Montana or Manning and it wouldn't matter behind that O-Line. You pick Okung at 4 and a young nose tackle (Cody out of Alabama) at 37.

Posted by: Hans7 | March 16, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman:

Congrats - you are the first person I've heard in the nation that has claimed ND had a good offensive line. That basically proves you haven't watched any tape, not that I am surprised. In case you forgot, ND's offensive line gave up the most sacks of any FBS team in their 3 years together, setting the NCAA record for sacks on Clausen in 2007.

Posted by: Jpjr | March 16, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Don't need a QB now. Give Campbell a decent line, someone who can fly to a deep pass and let him throw it. No matter HOW good a rookie QB might be, he'll get battered and used up if the line is no good. I'd bet an average QB behind a good line is better than a star QB behind a so-so line.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | March 16, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone think the Skins will ever win with Campbell?? The OL wasn't always bad but he always lost. He's 6-18 in his last 22 games.. how can JC not take some blame for that? Not to mention it looks like after adding 2 DL men the Lions will pick Okung. But even if they didn't you build a team around a franchise QB!!! If Shanahan thinks Clausen can be that guy you have to take him. There are plenty of other draft picks and FA's out there to make the OL better...

Posted by: sovine08 | March 16, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Funny how two fans can have such different opinions.

I think the MORE he gets to know Campbell the MORE likely he will be to take a QB.

Posted by: Redskin_in_miami | March 17, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse

Jpjr - I am a die hard ND fan and I say this with confidence. CLAUSEN SUCKS. Yes, he had a great completion percentage, against mediocre competition like Boston College, Navy, etc. You look at what he did in big games, that's right, they never played in any. He never beat the USCs, the Florida's, etc. And when he did play agianst them, it was interception after interception.

If you are basing your opinion on that, then JC should of been the next Joe Montana coming out of college.

He played in the toughest conference in college football and if I am not mistaken, won a National Championship.

This is all coming from a ND Fan. He sucks big time.

Posted by: sputnee | March 17, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Spuntnee - you need Tebow here. That is your guy. Big time wins against big teams. Lots of college wins. Great logic.

Although nothing you said made a lot of sense, I'll remind you that we are drafting a QB not a team. With Clausen only throwing 4 picks last season, I'm not sure where your "interception after interception" comment is about. And you want to talk about big games... how about his last one against Stanford. If I recall, Clausen threw 5 TD's in his last college game and 0 picks. They still lost thanks to Gerhart running for 5,000 yards against ND's terrible defense. Are you starting to see the point that we are talking about the talent of the QB and not the team?

Matthew Stafford will be the first to tell you that NFL scouts are after talent and could really care less about what school it is or how many wins. Clausen is the most pro-ready player in the draft, just like Stafford was last year.

Posted by: Jpjr | March 18, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse