Milan Jurcina on coming home

Jurcina gets a welcome-home hug from Alex Semin. (Via Caps 365)

When Milan Jurcina was traded to Columbus in late December, he packed up some of his belongings and moved to Ohio. He never bothered to empty out his D.C.-area apartment, though.

"I've got so much stuff," the defenseman explained this week. "I was thinking that I'd finish the season wherever I'd go, I'd have to come back and pack up all my stuff and bring it back home."

Except before he could do that, he was traded back from Columbus to D.C., where he promptly moved back into his still furnished place. No, there wasn't any milk or orange juice left in the refrigerator, but other than that, it was just like coming back from a long road trip.

"It's like when you're going back home, all your stuff is in the same spot where you left it," he said. "You know the people, you know the neighbors in the apartment. You never think you're coming back to the same team you were traded from, but it was a really nice feeling when they told me I was coming back to Washington."

"Easiest trade ever," seconded Tomas Fleischmann, one of Jurcina's closest friends on the Caps who spoke with the defenseman several times during the brief span when they weren't teammates. "He just came back."

Jurcina, of course, is out with a hernia injury, and it's unclear whether he'll even been able to play this season. Still, his initial trade, and then the take-back, is sort of reminiscent of the Zydrunas Ilgauskas situation, with the center being traded from Cleveland to the Wizards, reaching a buyout in Washington, and then winding up back with the Cavaliers amid accusations of foul play. When Caps GM George McPhee was asked about the bizarre flip during a recent appearance on The Fan 590 in Toronto, he said there was never a master plan to reacquire Jurcina.

"There was no hanky panky there," McPhee said. "[Columbus] needed a defenseman, we needed a winger. Chris Clark was someone they wanted and had to be in the deal to make the money work, so it wasn't easy doing the deal [for Jason Chimera]. But we got the winger we needed, six weeks ahead of the trading deadline, because you never know if that sort of player is gonna be there.

"And then when they were dropping out of it, I called [Columbus GM] Scotty [Howson] and said, 'You know, I might have interest in [Jurcina].' He called me and said he's injured. I said, 'That might work even better. He doesn't cost us money and doesn't cost us a pick, and if he plays, then I'll give you a pick.' "

So Howson then called in Jurcina and told him he'd been traded.

"What city?" Jurcina asked. Howson told him back to Washington.

"[And] I was like, yes," Jurcina told reporters last week. "I can't even imagine how lucky I am coming back to Washington....It's like coming back home, so I'm pretty excited to be here."

When Jurcina arrived in Columbus, the Blue Jackets were in the process of losing 13 out of 14 games. Not longer after that, the Caps won 14 straight. He said he was, of course, following his former teammates, but he said he wasn't exactly rooting for them.

"You can't; you're playing for a different team. You have to do your best for the team you're playing for, you have to think about the team you're playing for," he said. "So it wasn't that easy, but you know, nothing you can do about it."

I asked Jurcina whether he would follow Columbus now that he's gone. He said probably not.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 9, 2010; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Strasburg's spring training debut on MASN
Next: Skins payroll rank trending down?

Comments

Poor Clark...

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 9, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuice.

Posted by: TheFunBunch | March 9, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Poor Pothier.

BTW, any idea what's a "double hernia" operation is?

Posted by: Joran | March 9, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 9, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@joran
It's a repair of multiple hernias, most likely one each on both sides of his groin

Posted by: jburksva | March 9, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Columbus? Best Portugese restaurants west of Newark. Paella.......goooooooooood. Sangria..............gooooooooooooooood.

Posted by: prestoj | March 9, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

"Anyone ever been to Columbus? I'm sure he's just glad to be the heck out of there."

i was living in columbus for college when the blue jackets first started, and while it's a lot smaller than dc, as far as the midwest goes, it's a pretty cool city. not a lot of pro sports (an NHL team, an MLS team, and a AAA baseball team), but a lot of HUGE sports fans thanks to ohio state.

Posted by: rubyx4soho | March 10, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Juice sucks thats why GMGM traded him in the first place. Now we have better talent from last weeks trade . BB needs to find his lines now and stop the bullcrap ways the absent minded team seems to play twice a week. This is going to come back and bite us in the shackaruni one day. Then everyone is talking about next year . But the truth lies in the dirt on the welcome mat you just wipe your feet on. If the caps do not RUN DEEP in the playoffs maybe some one new can take control , run BB offense while BB is eating a garden saland in Mississippi . Yes thats right folks the Caps crappy play will bring BB to the unemployment office to file a claim.Lets get a Russian coach in here to do this dam thang.And stop with the Canadian wussies !

Posted by: terryreece | March 10, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

@Joran - It depends on what is causing the sports hernia; there's a decent (if medically technical) article on Wikipedia, for what that's worth...

Posted by: irockthered | March 10, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

If Juice is ready by say second round of playoffs, that mgt b good for us...esp. if someone gets hurt. And he doesn't have to adjst to our system.

I thought Juice was playing a lot better this season and was sad to see him go.

Posted by: capscoach | March 10, 2010 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Did you really haev to post that picture? Looks like they are dancing

Posted by: Shiba-fussa | March 10, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@ terryreece: And again, what team are you coaching? Last I remember, Jurcina did his job during the playoffs last year, banging people up against the boards. So no, I disagree with your drag queen whining. No, you're not fierce and even dumber for asking for a Russian coach, since uh, there was this thing called the Olympics and the Russian coaching was obviously dreadful. Boudreau and his staff are good people and will get it done. Now, how 'bout sticking that thumb of yours back in your mouth and let the grown-ups talk?

Welcome back, Juice! Get well soon!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 10, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

i was a big Juice fan. unfortunately, other than last years playoffs, he never played up to his size or regularly used his rocket slapshot. If he would begin to do more of both those, a Juice fan I will be once more.

Posted by: doughless | March 10, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse