More College Park confrontation footage

As of early Thursday morning, The Post was explicitly not using the word "riot" to describe whatever it was that happened in College Park after the Duke game. It was sort of unclear whether it was a "riot," or a "spontaneous if overenthusiastic gathering of thousands of people."

The Maryland administration has no such qualms, putting out a release titled "Statement on Student Riot Behavior following the UM v Duke Men's Basketball Game."

There's also ever more footage available online of some of the confrontations; there definitely appears to be at least one police officer striking at least one kid. These come via With Leather. And no, this really isn't about sports at all.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 4, 2010; 3:50 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carlos Rogers critiques Redskins' draft strategy
Next: How Vasquez celebrated the Duke win

Comments

This is why I will try to convince my child to NOT attend UofMD in the future. UMBC, Towson, Salisbury, St. Marys are about education NOT basketball rivalry.

Posted by: bbirdy202 | March 4, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Seems to me that having a gathering like this on public streets seems to invite the "riot" label, and one day an overzealous cop will seriously injure or kill some kid. Not that I blame the cops, though. It's not a "getting to know you" kind of situation and I know the adrenaline must be pumping pretty hard in that environment.

Posted by: jimwest20 | March 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

It's completely shocking that a police department known for it's brutality and shooting the mayor of Berwyn Heights' dogs in an unauthorized search are exerting unnecessary force.

I think it can boil down to this: if the police weren't there, would this have happened? There have been several times where students have gathered after big ACC games to celebrate the win with cheering, but no police were on duty and we all went on our way after we were done. I don't condone rioting, but having attended Maryland for a better part of the last 10 years (undergrad, grad, and phd!), the number of students actually looking to start trouble instead of cheering is very very small. Talking to some students who were there last night who were simply WALKING to their apartment/home or going to the bar or waiting for the bus and got beat for WALKING, is an outrage.

Posted by: elisabeth25 | March 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@elisabeth25
If the police weren't there would fewer fires been set? Would fewer street signs been taken down? Would the road have been properly closed instead of having cars try to drive through a crowd?

You may have been at UMD for the "better part of the last 10 years", but for all that education you seem fairly naive.

Posted by: CByrd1 | March 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

The reason this doesn't happen elsewhere on campus is essentially beause there's no suitable place on campus for it to happen.

More to the point, these celebrations have become a bit of a legacy, sadly. Every incoming class wants to join the ranks of former students who have experienced them already, and every year the freshmen seem to attempt to one-up their predecessors. So Maryland students went from being lively and passionate to being classless "savages" (the latter being Van Pelt's term, not mine).

I went to games as a kid when the team only had Walt Williams. By the time I was finally a student, I could barely stand to attend the games.

The police response is complicit in this, as they escalate the situation to a confrontation, which has the unintended effect of actually encouraging these gatherings. The kids want to do something that gets a response. The university has been impotent in its efforts to curtail this behavior.

I love Maryland, both the school (send your kids to UMBC, and you're sacrificing a better education in a knee-jerk response to these infrequent occurences) and the athletics. But this crap embarasses me.

Act like you've been there.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 4, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"I've never been to UMD, could somebody explain why these spontaneous celebrations have to happen on public streets as opposed to somewhere on campus?"

Rt.1 and all of the college hang out joints is literally "on campus." That's why you always see that same stretch when something happens.

"Talking to some students who were there last night who were simply WALKING to their apartment/home or going to the bar or waiting for the bus and got beat for WALKING, is an outrage."

UMD should not punish students simply for being on the street. From all of the footage a lot of media that was there interviewed a large number of kids who were just being kids.

Why the police were decked out in riot gear is beyond me. A lot of them were trigger happy with those bean bag guns from what I saw.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 4, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

A decidedly non-confrontational female friend of mine was on the Route going home from work after the game. She was not only gassed for no reason (gassed? Seriously?), but stopped to retrieve her shoe, which fell off while she was retreating from being gassed, and a police officer hit her with a Billy club. Hit her with a club. This is ridiculous.

I was in Comcast last night. It was so great. I am also a double alum (undergrad and master's) and I love Terp basketball. That said, it is well known that the lines between CP and University police are very odd and the interactions with students not known for their positivity. Add in a 9 p.m. start time and more time for people to be in the bars and you've surely got problems. I would just like to see a proactive plan for once instead of this kind of reactionary violence, particularly when so few seem to be the problem.

I don't have answers but I do think it's a shame when a talented, pro-Maryland student who is not the rioting kind needs to be struck and gassed for walking on a street near her university.

Thanks for trying to provide a more balanced view here.

Posted by: laurieanne | March 4, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

It was just a peaceful street celebration. The riot police got there in their gear looking for a fight even though the students' celebrations are tame and harmless compared to 2002. No need for arrests, pepper spray, beating students with batons, etc. Horrible PG county police need to adapt to the new peaceful street celebrations that Maryland fans do now.

Posted by: magnuson | March 4, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

An earlier poster hit on the topic of the PG PD. Any other police force does this, and I give them the benefit of the doubt. However between the youtube videos and the PD history of reckless violence and excessive force, I have to think they made this a lot worse than it could have been.

The police basically threw water on a grease fire and then wondered why it didn't go out.

Posted by: Natstural | March 4, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm a homeowner in College Park and was there last night. There was absolutely NO RIOT. The kids were cheering and celebrating after a big win. The police brought violence into the situation.

Posted by: smcdermott1 | March 4, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

I thought this only happened in Morgantown. Are Maryland students trying to compete?

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | March 4, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

UMD not about education? Send your kids somehwhere else, but with so many individual programs in the top 25(finance, economics, journalism, engineering, etc.) in the country your the only one not benefiting. UMD students have a work hard, party hard attitude. I am not excusing being idiotic on route 1, but don't blame us for being awake 24/7.

Posted by: totalfootballer | March 4, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

N.W.A. said it best, "F*ck the police."

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 4, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Thank you so much for bringing light to the other side of this issue, the novel notion that perhaps this 'riot' wasn't much of one until the police showed up and started harassing peaceful revelers. What with the statements released by the university and the police department, it's easy for the media to go along with their side of the story. I was there last night and by now I can't count the number of stories I have heard of innocent students getting beaten with nightsticks, shoved by police for not walking fast enough, maced as they watched the scene on the sidewalk, nearly trampled by horses, having guns shoved in their faces...the list goes on. And really, all it was was a huge dance party in the middle of the street. As a friend and I made our exit once the scene got too rowdy, police grabbed and shoved us - and we were already leaving! Nearly all the photographers covering the story for our student newspaper, who were holding cameras instead of the alleged chunks of ice, were pepper sprayed in the face.
I won't argue that police presence wasn't needed - there were certainly a few knuckleheads among the joyous chanters and dancers.
But in breaking up the crowd, the cops crossed the line. Instead of going after the instigators, they took it out on the stragglers watching from the sidelines.
In my opinion, their overreaction angered the kids who caused some of the more savage behavior later, like starting fires or throwing things at officers.
How's that for law and order.

Posted by: takeittothestreets | March 4, 2010 9:10 PM | Report abuse

The police were in riot gear because Maryland fans have earned the reputation of rioting after big wins.

It's not like the police reaction was unprecedented, here.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 5, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

It's not like the police reaction was unprecedented, here.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 5, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

-----

But what about all the times when VT won a national championship, what were those riots like?

Oh wait. No national championships. Well, maybe someday in the future.

Posted by: M__N | March 5, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

police making something out of nothing. kids chanting lets go MD in the streets - no big deal. Police show up in Riot gear and all hell breaks loose. PG Police dept is a joke.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | March 5, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Im with capsfansince74 on this, looks like some execesive force as well. No one was hurt, nothing important was damaged. Go police the PG/District line and stop some real crime. Leave these kids alone. P.S. This is nothing compared to Columbus when Ohio State beats Michigan...

Posted by: Buckeye11 | March 5, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse