Nyjer Morgan chooses Ovi over Crosby

(Note to Penguins fans: Really, don't read this. It's just going to make you unhappy. In fact, just check back here in July. We'll all be happier that way.)

Nyjer Morgan has talked about his love of the San Jose Sharks, repeatedly, consistently, without ever hinting that his love will wane. He's a Sharks fan, through and through, and his current playing allegiance won't change that.

However, there's still room in his heart for an Eastern Conference team. When he played in Pittsburgh, that team was the Penguins; Morgan once skated with the PIttsburghers, and was a ringleader when the Pens brought the Cup to the ballfield:

"The whole thing gave me the willies," Morgan said. "Honestly, I got really emotional. That's our team, from our city, and I grew up with hockey as my first love. When you're a kid playing hockey, that's your dream, to see the Cup, to touch the Cup, and there it was right in front of me."

Morgan, who converted from hockey to baseball at age 20, was the most animated of the Pirates' players during the ceremony, at one point igniting one of several "Let's Go Pens" chants from the crowd. He also caught Guerin's ceremonial first pitch, then fairly bounced to the mound to embrace him.

Well, that was then. Morgan, though, is no dummy; he was the only National to Rock the Red during a visit to Verizon Center, and he's said that his Eastern Conference team is now the Caps. This week, he elaborated.

"Now that I'm a Washingtonian, I think (Crosby) is a heckuva player, but he's not Ovi," Plush said, via Big League Stew. "[Ovechkin] likes throwing the body around, he loves throwing the weight around, which I absolutely love. He's definitely flamboyant. I love it.

"The Kid is a heckuva player, but I'm just an Ovi fan now. So don't worry Washingtonians. T-Plush is definitely on the Caps bandwagon."

So great. So, so great. This is a man who understands he's a fan favorite, and is not going to do anything to jeopardize it. Please, Caps, just get him to skate with you once, and then have Ovi present him with a T-Plush jersey foul. You won't regret it.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 2, 2010; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NBA player says Gilbert's "freaking out"
Next: Daniel Snyder with Cameron Diaz

Comments

I wish we were at ESPN Zone. I'd give T.Plush a standing O. Just he got last summer. Saw him in the Admin. Entrance at the Caps game the Nats were at. He is really a cool guy. Very friendly,so was Adam Dunn. Go Caps..Go Nats.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 2, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm going out to get me a Morgan jersey to sport at the Nats games this year.

Posted by: LortonVA | March 2, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

As much as we would love to see Morgan on the ice, Kasten has nixed that. He mentioned it on the radio when talking with Tom Glavine, who also played hockey. He said that he didn't want Morgan getting injured.

Posted by: LurkerNowPoster | March 2, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I love you Nyjer!!! <3

Posted by: rachel216 | March 2, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cjperego | March 2, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Uh who says we are "relying" on his opinion? Can't we just read a story about Nyjer liking Ovechkin? No one ever said that Nyjer was the voice of reason. Typical Pens fan, takes everything so seriously. Wooooooh.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 2, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Meh..Dan I have no problem with Nyjer being an OV fan and thinking he's better than Sid. You see, he showed a preference without immaturely dissing the other player....I know that is a novel idea for Caps fans. By the way, I think Nyjer is a good guy, but he's no dummy. He knows where his fanbase is and where his bread is buttered. Don't be so naive as to think that he wouldn't be a Richards fan if he was a Phillie, a Kane fan if he was a Cub or a Lidstrom fan if he was a Tiger?

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 2, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.
Really slow news day I guess Dan.

Posted by: LEM66 | March 2, 2010 9:21 PM | Report abuse

As I said before-

Ovechkin's a great player, but so is Crosby. Maybe Crosby did whine too much when he started in the league, but I'd like to see how many punk-ass Caps fans could've handled the pressure of instantly being charged with being the face of the league and singlehandedly saving the sport. At least Crosby has matured in the last few years, whereas Ovechkin has regressed...taking run after run at defenseless people and then jumping behind his teammates when, God forbid, someone actually stands up to him.

The fact that Caps fans worry so much about what Crosby and the Penguins do when they're not playing them just proves what a pathetic, loser-ass sports town DC is. Perhaps if you and your teams spent more time worrying about what you needed to do to up your game, instead of hating on every other player and team that has success, you might win something every now and then. Instead, you'll just keep jumping bandwagon to bandwagon, trading your fresh new Ovechkin jersey for some Washington Kastles or DC Divas gear the first time you catch wind of them possibly making the playoffs. Where were all of you hardcore Caps fans 3 years ago when I went to game after game at the Verizon Center and saw maybe 5-6,000 fans there total? That's right, you were dry-humping the Wizards to death...until, of course, they started losing their lustre. Literally the day after the Caps won the Cupcake Division and clinched a spot in the 2007-2008 playoffs, the town was flooded with people "rockin' the red," despite the fact that most of them couldn't name 4 players on the team.

Stay classy, DC.

Posted by: rjmst80 | March 2, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Ha ha, you gotta love the Pissburgh fans coming in here to (weakly try to) rag on DC. Of course when you live in a dying city with median home price around 150k I guess there isn't much else to do but try and live in the glory of your sports stars. Yep the bandwagon Caps fans cannot compare to the glorious Pens fans who almost lost their team to KC (and that was after getting Fleury, Malkin, and Crosby in the draft).

Posted by: calhokie | March 2, 2010 10:28 PM | Report abuse

"Where were all of you hardcore Caps fans 3 years ago when I went to game after game at the Verizon Center and saw maybe 5-6,000 fans there total?"

---

Tired Pens talking point was tired.

Where were all the die-hard, life-long Pens fans back when so few people were going to games, the franchise almost moved to Kansas City?

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 2, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

"Pens fan here, can't resist. Sorry! You had a good defense of Ovie against Wilbon's attacks early, but come on. You're relying the opinion of a former PIRATES player? Quite the stellar move, too, from the Pirates to the Nats. Wooooooh.

Even this demonstrates the very problem in Washington - the bandwagon effect. If the Redskins were any good (aka if Dan Snyder weren't robbing this city blind), would anyone beyond a few true and decent hockey fans care about the Caps?"

This is the same guy who will jump right on the bandwagon and claim he was always a hardcore Pirates fan when/if they ever start winning games again.

Some things never change.

Posted by: jdwood84 | March 3, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

@calhokie.

Sorry to disappoint. Big expensive Bethesda house here.
And you??

Posted by: LEM66 | March 3, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovie WILL present Nyjer a jersey because he won't EVER be able to hand him the Stanley Cup. But I guess after a while you get used to taking solace in whatever you can grasp onto.........isn't THAT what caps fans are good at?

Posted by: jimwojnarbcn | March 4, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse