Obama praises JTIII, disses Gary Williams

In a move sure to earn him everlasting love in College Park, Barack Obama managed to comment on the coaching skills of both Gary Williams and John Thompson III while breaking down his bracket with ESPN's Andy Katz. Obama seems to think more highly of the Georgetown coach.

"I like Michigan State here," Obama said, in picking the Spartans to get by the Terps in the second round. "Maryland's got a great player, but Michigan State's got a great coach, and I think that makes the difference."

I mean, Maryland has a coach who's won 600 games and a national championship, but whatever. Let's move on. (Oh, wait, it turns out House Republicans also hate the Terps, with 132 voting against a resolution congratulating them on their basketball success.)

Anyhow, Katz later pointed out that Obama saw the Hoyas in person, when they were at their best.

"I did," Obama agreed. "They don't have any seniors on their team. They're a young team, but I think they're getting better. I think Thompson does a great job, and so I'm feeling pretty good about Georgetown making a nice little run."

So Georgetown has a great coach, and Maryland doesn't. Pretty clear. Maybe he's stumping for votes in D.C. or something. He went further with the Hoyas, predicting a win over Ohio State in the regional semifinals.

"This is gonna be a good game," the president said. "I think [Evan] Turner's the best player in the country but I don't think the rest of the team can match up. I'm picking Georgetown."

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 17, 2010; 1:10 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stan Kasten takes down Jim Bowden, again
Next: Colin Campbell explains Ovechkin suspension

Comments

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I hope someone explains to our supposedly basketball-loving president that Gary Williams is a great coach as well.

In conclusion, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 17, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

We beat this same great coach last year on a neutral court. And that was when they were on their way to a national title game appearance. And we weren't nearly as good last year as we are this year.

Posted by: cao091402 | March 17, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

You do realize, cao091402, that when we did beat Michigan State last year they were playing without 2 of their best big men? I mean, you know that, right? They obviously went on to a much better season than our Terps so.....

With that said, just another reason why I'm glad I didn't vote for Obama.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 17, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, I have State over Maryland, too, and I'm a die-hard Terps alum. And both Izzo and Williams are great coaches.

But Georgetown getting all the way past Ohio State? Naw.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 17, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This is a dream situation for Gary, with the President of the United States clearly against the Terps then its back to the wall circle the wagons time. Thanks Mr. President.

Posted by: lavar609 | March 17, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Well that pretty much is the death nail for the Hoyas.... expect them to get booted out this weekend. Every team/endeavor that Obama has openly supported has failed. The Olympics bid for Chicago, the Colts in the superbowl, Creigh Deeds, etc.... Bad track record for picking winners. Time to pick against his bracket.

Posted by: alutz08 | March 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Well, he did pick the national champion correctly last year. Although it was North Carolina, so that's a mixed blessing.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 17, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I think Coach K said it best:

"The economy is something that the president should focus on, probably more than the brackets."

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

While he's totally wron, at least by spending his time putting down the Terps he's not reaching his hands any farther into my wallet.

Posted by: LortonVA | March 17, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Gary has done well against Izzo the last several years and JTIII can't carry GW'S jockstrap! Obama knows as much about college ball as he does on passing health care!

Other than Gary being white, what does Obama have againt a coach most consider a future Hall of Famer?

Posted by: sbf845 | March 17, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 17, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

You do realize, Poopy_McPoop, that when we beat Michigan State last year they were playing without 1 of their best big men, not 2? I mean, you know that, right? Delvon Roe played and played about 20 minutes of that game, Goran Suton did not.

Also, you just gotta love how Poopy_McPoop is so quick to point out the injuries of players on MD's OPPOSING teams, but when anyone ever points out that the Terps were without their best player for most of 2004/05 and without their top scorer for most of 2005/06 and thus the main reason the fell 1 or 2 games shy of the NCAA tourney those years, Poopy is always the first person to mock such poor excuses. If MD fans on the Terp Insider point out that MD was without Dino Gregory (MD's top inside player off the bench) for 4 of MD's losses this year, Poopy will mock this excuse. But he'll use the same excuses to try to diminish MD's key wins by defending our opponents' and pointing out their injuries.

This is very typical of Poopy, who can't make a relevant point on these blogs no matter how hard he tries, without contradicting himself or simply making things up.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Sigh. Well, let's see: Gary Williams came in as coach at Maryland and resurrected a program that had been run into the ground by the previous coach. He rebuilt the program, has coached the team to a national championship in 2002, back to back Final Fours in 2001 and 2002, and has the respect of his peers and many of his former players.

Gary has 21 seasons at UMCP.
Um, let's see if the Prez lasts more than one term in D.C.

Posted by: sanderling5 | March 17, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Of course Obama like the Hoyas. All the brothers do.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 17, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

GEORGETOWN IS THE MOST DANGEROUS TEAM IN THIS YEARS NCAA TOURNAMENT. NO ONE WANTS TO ADMIT THAT ! THEY WILL BEAT KANSAS IN THE FINAL FOUR ! THEY ARE MY SLEEPER TO MAKE IT TO THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME ! MARYLAND DOES NOT EVEN BELONG IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS GEROGETOWN PERIOD !!!

Posted by: rsmith37 | March 17, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Yet another reason to root for the Terps. Yanda must be peeing his pants in glee after reading Obama's idiotic comment of the day.

Posted by: MDPensfan | March 17, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Gary continues to win the Rodney Dangerfield Award, this time simultaneously with the ACC Coach of the Year Award.

But at least he did give the Terps some dap. You know Greivis's eyes lit up at that one and that he's giving Gary some grief over it.

In a side note, it's refreshing to see partisan morons turning everything that this President does into a political catfight on the internet.

Posted by: justin_timberwolf | March 17, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Truth be told,, like everything else Obama doesn't know 5hit about our local teams.

This came down to White coach Vs Black coach.

Posted by: dashriprock | March 17, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure Georgetown can beat Kansas in the Final four since they're both in the same section of the bracket...but nice try...

Posted by: svxcountry1 | March 17, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

He has time for this on his calendar? ugh

Posted by: Hattrik | March 17, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Smart man our President....

Posted by: CHICO13 | March 17, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Tom Izzo career at MSU - 15 years, 1 National Championship, 5 Final Fours, Six Big Ten Championships, 360 Wins with a .714 win percentage and 2 national coach of the year awards. Also graduated 80 percent of his players and numerous NBA Players.
Gary Williams career at UMD - 20 years, 1 National Championship, 2 Final Fours, 3 Conf Championships, 2 Acc Coach of the year,419 wins with a .646 win percentage, numerous NBA players and a clean program.
My point with this is that you can easily argue that Tom Izzo is a better coach. Gary Williams is great don't get me wrong but it's not like he got snubbed for some guy he's obviously better than. And the Terps do have the best player in this game with Vasquez so Obama's statement was exactly wrong. Just his opinion terps fans. Chill the heck out

Posted by: zvick11 | March 17, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: rsmith37 | March 17, 2010 2:36 PM

And yet, your last sentence includes them both. Brilliant! Oh, and you spelled Georgetown wrong.

Posted by: CYork1 | March 17, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Let's Go HOYAS! The dark horse of the NCAA Tournament. THERE's A STORM COMING!

Posted by: classicskins | March 17, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The Maryland basketball team can't beat the Maryland field hockey team.

Posted by: bs2004 | March 17, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

"Well that pretty much is the death nail for the Hoyas...."

Thanks. I collect malaprops and this is a great one.

Posted by: AHappyWarrior | March 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

What greater validation for an individual, team, entity, etc., than to be insulted by BO? We should all be so lucky. GO TERPS!

Posted by: burbworks | March 17, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

What a ridiculous headline? Obama didn't say anything about the Maryland coach. He just said that Michigan had a good coach. Steinberg added his own interpretation about Gary Williams.

Good coach or not, Maryland is not getting past Michigan State and Georgetown is a better team this year.

Posted by: wmwilliams14 | March 17, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

If Gtown makes it to the Elite 8 I will be stunned. I'd be mildly surprised if they made the Sweet 16. You can quote me on that.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"This came down to White coach Vs Black coach."

Tom Izzo is black?

Crap, I need a new Television.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 17, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

The ignorance in this thread is glaring.

For all you tea-baggers, I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's High School Diploma.

Posted by: alecw81 | March 17, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Lindemann777. How could you Prez Obama!

Posted by: johng1 | March 17, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"For the Hoyas sake...I'm just glad Rutgers, South Florida, and Old Dominion are not in their bracket."

LOL What embarrassing Losses!

Unlike losing to powerhouses like Cincinnati, Miami, and William and Mary, which are all very respectable and not funny or embarrassing in the slightest.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 17, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a rat's ars$ what the incompetent slug Odumbo thinks about the tournament?
Frankly, I hope his endorsement is as successful as it was in the VA, NJ and MA political races.
This clown needs to be sent home ASAP.

Posted by: LarryG62 | March 17, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's go Hoyas!
UMDCP will not get past MSU. Bet it!

Posted by: funkey | March 17, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Nice Try VT Duffman. MD did not lose to Miami this year. Maybe you should go back to Bleaksburg and learn how to read results. Or just watch the annual tournament that Tech get invited to and leave the NCAA commentary to the folks involved.

Posted by: bigdaddymark | March 17, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I can't believe I voted for this guy.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | March 17, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 17, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

YES!!!!!! VTDuffbeerman is back!!! And when VTDuffbeerman is around, you can expect to see misinformation being spread around like wildfires, the guy specializes in spreading false info on the internet.

You can always count on VTDuffbeer man to satisfy all your misinformation needs.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno1 - have you ever watched basketball? And I do mean ever.

Oh wait, I forgot my New Year's pledge not to engage idiots on the intertubez.

Posted by: spf1 | March 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

How many DC'ers just bet the house on the "great one's" bracket? The man who can do no wrong. Let the games begin.

Posted by: Rayzer | March 17, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wmwilliams14 | March 17, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

duh...what Steinz does best!

Posted by: hibachi | March 17, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Maryland fan and alum here - I share most of the sentiments here and BO just lost my vote. BUT just to play devil's advocate - there has been a lot of talk about Izzo rising like a phoenix during tournament time and turning his struggling team into a winning force that goes deep into the tournament. PERHAPS BO was echoing that sentiment. In any event, it certainly came out wrong.

Posted by: t-jas | March 17, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

didn't you know?! if you compliment any coach and do not compliment the tipsy one equally you are insulting the UMDCP program!

Posted by: funkey | March 17, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Hey Barno1 - have you ever watched basketball? And I do mean ever.

Oh wait, I forgot my New Year's pledge not to engage idiots on the intertubez.

Posted by: spf1 | March 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I watch a little...but I guess it's all relative. I mean, I watched every second of every Gtown and MD game this season, and attended every single home game. Not knocking you if you didn't tho...

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

that's the most work Obama has done all year!

Posted by: shnooogen | March 17, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: funkey | March 17, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------
I know, right. I can't believe WaPo has turned into this right leaning joke of a paper. Every single day there is some misleading headline to get the Obama haters foaming at the mouth.

Even if he didn't think Gary Williams was a good coach, which he didn't say anyway, is that a crime? Can't the president have an opinion? Good grief!!! Next people will be complaining that he doesn't wear his flag pin. Oh wait...

Posted by: wmwilliams14 | March 17, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't know which is more disturbing:
1. Obama's bracket is basically chalk.
2. The House passes resolutions congratulating college basketball teams?

Posted by: dclifer97 | March 17, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: t-jas | March 17, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse
--------------------------
Really? You're basing your vote on the presidency on whether or not Obama picked Maryland to win the NCAA tournament? I think that's taking March Madness a little too far.

Posted by: wmwilliams14 | March 17, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

This is why you don't comment on stuff like this if you are President, it always pisses off somebody.

Posted by: DCDave11 | March 17, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I think it's cool to have a president who's willing to fill out a bracket. The responses here suggest that maybe people aren't mature enough to handle it, though.

Gary Williams is a good coach, but Izzo has a track record of his team playing far above their seeding. His teams make the Elite Eight and Final Four about 30 or 40% of the time, and frequently from lower seeds. No other coach comes even close to Izzo's level of tournament overachievement.

As for Obama's picks, I don't think Kentucky or 'Nova is going to make it that far. Kentucky just matches up poorly, and 'Nova's defense isn't good enough to make it that far.

Posted by: jeffwacker | March 17, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Who the hell cares what Barack Obama thinks about the tournament????

If he would like to step down and go work for ESPN, I'm all for it.

I move we replace him in the Oval Office with Bobby Knight.

Though, on second thought, I suppose I'd rather have him wasting time on NCAA brackets than continuing to lie to America about his health care "reform."

Dear Leader, tell me the one again how all of our premiums are going to decrease by 3000%. That was a fun little fairy tale.

Posted by: etpietro | March 17, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

What a shame that the POTUS would diss ANY college/school coach. Just shows this POTUS has too much idle time on his hands and should instead focus his time and energy on JOBS and HOMELAND SECURITY!

Posted by: katma24 | March 17, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

etpietro, go take your meds and calm down. It's just a message board about the tournament. I'm sure there are other places to bash Obama on WaPo.

Posted by: wmwilliams14 | March 17, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Barno you love Obama and G-town, or one of the two/

Posted by: epostell | March 17, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Who is Dan Steinberg to gin up such a controversy out of such meager inferences? Does he get job security by generating more comments to his blog? So Obama likes Michigan's coach - that is not a diss to Williams.

This is a diss of Williams: He's a screaming, scowling crybaby like many other ACC coaches. Berates players rather than motivates and trusts them. He needs hot players to win - can't get it done with his playbook. Nobody thinks the turtles have a chance to go far in the big dance. Anything's possible - but nobody thinks it's going to happen.

Posted by: graceld99 | March 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

"And yet, your last sentence includes them both. Brilliant!"

LOL, well played!

As for Obama, I'm not a huge fan but are you guys really getting your panties in a bunch over this? Really?

Posted by: ouvan59 | March 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Good Job Obama.. Maryland Sucks because it full of Leftist Liberals who wear leather pants and dance on cars with rainbow flags.

Posted by: AlbyVA | March 17, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey, it is a basketball tournament, the President does not have to be politically correct 24/7. GO HOYAS!!!!!!!

Posted by: lec2 | March 17, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

They are both great teams, guys!! Give them a break!

Posted by: stoneyuptwn | March 17, 2010 5:55 PM | Report abuse

The reason Obama goes to Georgetown games is bause, unlike Maryland, Georgetown always has PLENTY of empty seats.

Posted by: qball43 | March 17, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

This is great news! UMD lost in the ACC tournament after they got overconfident due to excessive buzz about coach of the year and player of the year. They do much better when blessed with low expectations. Thanks Obama!

Posted by: didnik | March 17, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Now i know why I supported Hillary initially... Barack Obama should worry about his health care bill and laser focus on the economy if he doesnt want to be a one termer... and dont bother stumping for votes in College park barack because u just dissed my terps and lost my vote..
I am a die hard DEM and terps fan..

Posted by: whatbull | March 17, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

All of you racist Obama haters need to can it. You talk about MD in 2001 & 2002; What the hell has Williams done lately? GT's team would mop the floor with MD, which has no quality big men--period. As Vasquez goes, so does MD, and he is not the type of player who can consistently put a team on his back for the long haul. And he has a big mouth also (ask the Memphis team from last year).

Posted by: stanmose | March 17, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

For 8 years we heard President Bush's picks for football and his favorite Baseball with not one American complaining but enjoying the President's picks. Now with Obama picking his selection it's time to impeach him for picking sides. Get real people it's a game and yes Obama lucked out last year. I wrote him and said because he's young he'll learn college players/teams can suprise you as you never know. Ok Kobe Bryant is hard to bet against with his outside nothing but net shots with his bad back/broken finger. This is a game folks and everyone has a favorite or pick. If you don't like Obama you have to just get over it because Bush is gone and McCain lost the election. Just think if McCain/Palin had won we'd be bombing Iran and Russia while still in Iraq and Afghanistan and there would be no time for sports and anything else.

Posted by: qqbDEyZW | March 17, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Yep... I am an equal fan of G'town & MD... I got MD losing to Mich St & Gtown losing to Kansas... good picks prez.

Don't pick with your heart when money is on the line... MD will be lucky to get past Houston but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

G'town has a gimmick when they get to the tournament as does a team like Syracuse... G'town runs the Princeton offense which is unique if you haven't had to play against it, it makes it difficult to prepare for. Syracuse has the 2-3 zone that they run to perfection, which tends to cause teams in the tournament huge problems when they are not hitting from the outside.

Terps don't have enough inside muscle which was clearly evident against Ga Tech.

Posted by: tony325 | March 17, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a crap?

Posted by: jas7751 | March 17, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Good idea, ESPN! The busier he is with brackets, the less time he'll have to screw with my health insurance or raise my taxes.

Posted by: terpin | March 17, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Obama is an idiot.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | March 17, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I checked the records of Maryland Coach Gary Williams (1989 to present (21 yrs.)) and Michigan State Coach Tom Izzo (1995 to present (15 yrs.)).

Tom Izzo has by far the superior record during his tenure at Michigan State when compared to Gary Williams' record at Maryland.

Each coaches has 1 national championship.

Izzo has 5 final 4s, 6 Big 10 regular season championships, 2 Big 10 tournament championships, 6 NCAA elite 8s, 8 NCAA sweet 16s and (since 1998) 13 consecutive NCAA appearances.

Williams has 2 final 4s, 3 ACC, 1 Big East (1983) and 1 EEC (1981) regular season championships, 1 ACC tournament championship, 2 NCAA elite 8s, 7 NCAA sweet 16s, 13 consecutive NCAA appearances by 2004 and 2 final 4s. Williams is an outstanding coach too.

If I had to select between 2 talented teams (1 with a highly rated player), I would take into consideration the record of the coaches. The ACC may at times be a more difficult conference, but Izzo's record in my opinion is more impressive.

Lets have fun defending our brackets because none of this has anything to do with politics. We are all speculating. My 2007 bracket showed a perfect sweet 16, perfect elite 8, perfect final 4 and 1/2 final. I HOPE I CAN REPEAT.

Posted by: lec2 | March 17, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

The thing about brackets is that we could all be wrong. In my bracket I have my team, Butler, going all the way to the Elite 8 getting past Syracuse (sorry, Syracuse is tough but they are inconsistent). I think Pitt is always tough. My final four is Duke (booo), Pittsburgh, Kansas, and Kentucky. I think Obama made some intelligent picks.

Posted by: RDSpeer | March 17, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

With that said, just another reason why I'm glad I didn't vote for Obama.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 17, 2010 1:38 PM

I think Coach K said it best:

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2010 2:04 PM

Hey poop face, looks like you and the other poop face have something common. What's that saying about empty minds not thinking alike?

Posted by: mack1 | March 17, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Go GOPHERS!!!

Posted by: dlopata | March 17, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

The President is smart, how Williams is still at MD is amazing to me. I don't know what happened to his recruiting. Thompson has done an excellent job in the meantime bringing back the program to prominence. Those were some dark years after his father left.

When Williams won it all back in 02, I thought finally MD will be on the national scene for years to come, but now its back to the way it was. But being a DC native I route for all the hometown teams. I just wish MD would step it up.

Posted by: clark202 | March 17, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

The fact that this guy (The One) follows basketball so closely means there is something else he isn't paying much attention to. Oh yeah, I guess that's pretty obvious. Good grief, grow up!

Posted by: BadNews | March 17, 2010 7:56 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Obama has finally found something he's good at, because being a leader is something out of his reach.

O One
B Big
A A##
M Mistake
A America

Posted by: cschotta1 | March 17, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Did he lay any cash down to back up his picks?

If he did then he committed a Federal offense; after all that's what killed Neuhisal's career at U of Washington.

Just imagine POTUS busted because he put a C note on one of his picks.

Posted by: krankyman | March 17, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

Going on Letterman, Leno, et al
Flying to Europe to pitch Chicago
Going to ball games
Accepting the Non-Peace Prize
Filling out brackets on TV

this guy loves the fluff of the job way too much

Let's hope Gary somehow wins this thing and stiffs him on the visit.

Posted by: TheDubb | March 17, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

Going on Letterman, Leno, et al
Flying to Europe to pitch Chicago
Going to ball games
Accepting the Non-Peace Prize
Filling out brackets on TV

this guy loves the fluff of the job way too much

Let's hope Gary somehow wins this thing and stiffs him on the visit.

Posted by: TheDubb | March 17, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse
===========================================
Let's see his predecessor spent 3/4 of his time on his ranch in Texas.

Sat idle for 5 minutes while he Peed his pants as he was told about 9/11.

Blew a surplus and created a monumental debt.

Created a war based on trumped up charges.

Ruined the country of said war, creating more generations of hatred towards us.

Referred to Africa at said convention as "The Country of Africa."

Let's see what else, oh yeah, "Mission Accomplished."

All the while his VP ran the country from an undisclosed location.

Posted by: clark202 | March 17, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

my responses are in CAPS...
----------------------------------

Let's see his predecessor spent 3/4 of his time on his ranch in Texas. NOT EVEN REMOTELY TRUE.

Sat idle for 5 minutes while he Peed his pants as he was told about 9/11. HE HARDLY SEEMED NERVOUS, MUCH LESS PEEING HIS PANTS NERVOUS, BUT HAD HE JUMPED UP ABRUPTLY AND SCARED THE LITTLE KIDS IN THEIR CLASSROOM, YOU'D BE CRITICIZING HIM FOR THAT TOO. CONVERSELY, WHEN THE ISLAMIST TERRORIST NIDAL HASSAN WAS SHOOTING DOZENS OF OUR SERVICEMEN AND WOMEN AT FT. HOOD LAST YEAR, PRESIDENT OBAMA--WHO HAD ALREADY BEEN INFORMED OF THE TERRORIST ATTACK--WAS BUSY GIVING SHOUT OUTS TO GOVERNMENT BUREAUCRATS AT A GOVERNMENT PEP RALLY. TALK ABOUT INSULTING.

Sat in an air conditioned room during Katrina, except for one night when he made a publicity appearance (stunt). COMPLETELY MISLEADING. PRESIDENT BUSH WAS TOLD THAT LANDING IN NEW ORLEANS AND TOURING THE DAMAGE SITES WOULD HAVE TAKEN UP VALUABLE RESOURCES ON THE GROUND AND DIVERTED ATTENTION FROM THE SITUATION. I WAS THERE AND BELIEVE ME FOLKS WERE GLAD THE PRESIDENT DIDN'T TURN THE SITUATION INTO A WEEKLONG PHOTO OP.

Blew a surplus and created a monumental debt. IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T HEARD, AMERICA WAS ATTACKED ON 9/11/01 AND ENTERED INTO 2 WARS THAT PROVED COSTLY. BUT I THINK CONSERVATIVES AND LIBERALS ALIKE AGREE THERE WAS TOO MUCH DOMESTIC SPENDING DURING THE LAST DECADE.

Created a war based on trumped up charges. AT LEAST YOU DIDN'T SAY HE "LIED" TO CREATE THE WAR, WHICH IS THE STANDARD CLAIM FROM THE LEFT. THOSE "TRUMPED UP CHARGES" YOU MENTION CAME NOT JUST FROM OUR GOVERNMENT BUT FROM INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES ACROSS THE WESTERN WORLD. BUSH DIDN'T LIE TO GO TO WAR, THE INFO WAS SIMPLY INCORRECT.

Ruined the country of said war, creating more generations of hatred towards us. NOT NECESSARILY TRUE. WE'LL REVISIT THIS CLAIM IN A FEW GENERATIONS, WHEN I BELIEVE FUTURE GENERATIONS OF IRAQIS WILL BE STRONG ALLIES OF THE UNITED STATES.

Pissed off the German Prime Minister at the G8 convention by trying to give her a shoulder massage. NOT RELEVANT

Referred to Africa at said convention as "The Country of Africa." AND OBAMA SAID HE'S BEEN TO ALL "57" U.S. STATES AND REFERRED TO HIS "MUSLIM" FAITH, WHAT'S YOUR POINT? EVERY SINGLE PRESIDENT AND MOST PUBLIC FIGURES MAKE SILLY MISTAKES IN PUBLIC FROM TIME TO TIME.

Let's see what else, oh yeah, "Mission Accomplished." PRESIDENT BUSH HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT SIGN.

All the while his VP ran the country from an undisclosed location. RAN THE COUNTRY? IS THAT WHY CHENEY HASN'T SPOKEN TO BUSH SINCE BUSH REFUSED CHENEY'S REQUEST TO FULLY PARDON SCOOTER LIBBY. IF CHENEY REALLY RAN THE COUNTRY, LIBBY WOULD HAVE BEEN PARDONED.

Posted by: clark202 | March 17, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 17, 2010 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: clark202 | March 17, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

It's late and I am having trouble with this above comment. My problem is I can't figure out whether this clark202 fellow is making a sarcastic joke or if he is really this clueless. "How Williams is still at MD amazes me." Really, it amazes you that the newly minted ACC Coach of the Year, who took the school from the worst NCAA sanctions in history to national champs and 14 of 17 years in the NCAA tourney, is still at MD? Really, this amazes you?

Posted by: Barno1 | March 18, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Finally a reason to like Obama! Thanks for calling out one of the best coaches in the history of the ACC to give him extra motivation for the underdog no respect mentallity!! Thats what made him great you idiot!! MARYLAND WILL WIN!

Posted by: MDWILLWIN | March 18, 2010 1:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wmwilliams14
_________________________________

Posted by: wallacea | March 18, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

You Obama koolaid drinkers should understand one thing: even if MD loses, they still can come back next year; on the other hand, Obama will remain an idiot next year and beyond. Even though the Balls isn't a huge fan of Coach K, his observation about the Obamanation rings just as true this year as it did before. Just a thought. HB

Posted by: HarryBalls | March 18, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

"In this instance, he claims MD lost to Miami this year when most Bog readers already know that MD beat Miami by 20+ points in their only match up this season."

My mistake. I don't know what schedule I was looking at. The point stands, though. Mocking Gtown for losing to the teams you mentioned is silly when UMD lost to similar caliber teams in Cincinnati and W&M.

"Coming next week to a blog near you, VTDuffbeerman explains how VT (342nd SOS in the nation) had a much tougher strength of schedule than MD (22nd SOS in the nation) this season."

Why would I say that?

Oh, wait, because you're a blowhard tool who likes to bring up non-sequiturs that have nothing to do with the conversation at all because you think you're making some brilliant point?

Anyway. When your team loses to Bill and Mary, you look stupid mocking another team for losing to Rutgers or South Florida. That's the point.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

"THANK YOU. Apparently we are the only 2 on this thread to notice this :-) He said nothing bad about Mr. Williams. Terp fans look for any reason to riot :-)"

---

No, you're not the only ones to notice.

Steinz has figured this out a long time ago - the only way to generate more traffic than a Sidney Crosby post is to write a post with a perceived slight to UMD. Which is ironic because for fans of a team whose mascot is a turtle, they have exceptionally thin skin.

Here's an equally accurate headline: "President Praises Grevis Vasquez and Tom Izzo."

The problem is that headline doesn't generate traffic like "THE PRESIDENT HATES GARY WILLIAMS AND UMD AND THINKS THE TERPS SUCK BUT HE LOVES GTOWN AND THINKS THEY R THE BEST TEAM LOL. PREZ TO UMD: 'SUCK IT, TERPIES.'"

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Guess VTDuffbeerman doesn't have cable or just doesn't watch ESPN, because the sportscenter highlights of Obama's bracket ALL DAY LONG yesterday were pointing out Obama's slight against MD.

Reason Number 391,831,957,202 why the President of the United States should not be spending hours of his time on NCAA tournament brackets when the country is at war, in a recession, and facing countless domestic issues big and small. Seriously, it's beyond offensive that Obama is doing this again this year--and I would have said the EXACT same thing if President Bush, his father, or Reagan had done this.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 18, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

"When you say "but Michigan State has a great coach, and I think that's makes the difference" that is clearly a knock on Gary."

It's not a knock against Gary to say that Tom Izzo is a better coach.

I think Gary is a Good Coach, but I think Tom Izzo is better.

You're seeing it as a knock because you want to see it as a knock, because you disagree politically with the president and also MD fans love to perceive everything as a slight.

The President's comments about Tom Izzo were no more a knock on Gary Williams than his comments on Grevis Vasquez were a knock against every player on the MSU team. Do you think that the President was "dissing" every Spartan when he praised Grevis?

Also, the notion that the President should be afforded no leisure time is laughable. Bush II did it all the time, clearing Brush on his Texas Ranch or having people watch this drive. Bush I did it with his multiple visits to Kennebunkport.

Pretending like Obama spending an hour filling out a bracket is somehow egregious or unprecedented is partisan hackery.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 18, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Barno, say what you want about me but atleast I never joined a frat. Paying for friends, priceless.

hahahahahahhahahahahahhaha

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 18, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | March 18, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse
============================================
Barno I wrote in English, so regardless of the time of day, I believe my point is clear. ACC coach of the year, ok great, but this is arguably a weak year for the ACC, so big deal. True he made MD champions...8 YEARS AGO!!! 2 GRADUATING CLASSES, TWO PRESIDENTIAL TERMS, and TWO OLYMPICS AGO! They've been mediocre since. The ACC is a two team league and he's done nothing to change that. He has fertile ground for recuits in his own backyard, does he take advantage of it? No and so you get what you have at MD. Meanwhile basketball powerhouses like Georgetown, Syracuse, Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc., keep taking our boys from DeMatha, Dunbar, and O'Carrol and get better. Was does MD get? Vasqez? Really? Dude would have come off the bench had he played on the '02 squad. So yeah, I don't see why Williams still has a job. Its 3:00 in the afternoon, is that clear enough for you?

Posted by: clark202 | March 18, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Well, Clark202, you are alone on the face of this earth in arguing that Gary Williams shouldn't be at MD. Maybe 13 months ago, you would have had some company, but even the biggest Gary-haters around have now been forced to acknowledge that they were wrong in wanting Gary gone from MD.

And the fact that you are seriously knocking Gary for recruiting Greivis Vasquez shows just how far out of touch from reality you are. Vasquez, in case you haven't heard, is the only player in college basketball history to amass 2000 points, 700 assists, and 600 rebounds. If you can find me another player who has done that, let's hear it. Oh, he's also the newly minted ACC Player of the Year and a FIRST TEAM ALL AMERICAN.

Complaining about recruiting him is about the most insanely ridiculous comment I've read on any blog in quite some time. So, congrats on that accomplishment.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 18, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

barno, go back to paying for friends.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 18, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse