Ohio slays a D.C. team again

(By Jim Rogash - Getty)

Not attempting to pile on, here, but there were a few things I wanted to note about Georgetown's upset loss to Ohio, so I might as well put them all in one place.

Ohio

The Bobcats may not have a glorious basketball history, but over the last 16 seasons, they've been absolutely brutal to the D.C. area.

They've gone 1-0 against Maryland, becoming just the fourth non-ACC team to win at Maryland during Gary Williams's tenure in December of 2007.

They've gone 3-1 against George Washington, including a win in the 1995 postseason NIT.

They've gone 2-1 against Virginia, including an upset of the 14th-ranked Cavaliers in the 1994 preseason NIT.

They've gone 1-1 against George Mason and 1-1 against American, beating the Eagles by 31 points in 2005.

And they've gone 1-0 against Georgetown, shocking the third-seeded Hoyas in this year's tourney.

That's a total of 9-4, including 4-1 against BCS conference schools. Brutal. Thanks to Max Wasserman for the help on this.

Defense

Via D1scourse, the 97 points Ohio scored are the most ever scored by a team seeded 13th or lower in the first round. That's bad.

Atlantic 11

Earlier this week, I announced that Georgetown had won the local blog poll for the third time in four years. Because of declining participation after the tournament, I've started ending the voting before the tournament starts.

Well, bad call. No matter what happens through the rest of this event, Old Dominion now has a better record than Georgetown, an NCAA tournament win (over a Big East opponent) and a head-to-head win, on the road. I think it would be hard to justify Hoyas over Monarchs, to say nothing of the Terps.

Lesson? Don't end the voting before the season's actually over.

Obama

Let's go back to President Obama's tourney picks.

"They don't have any seniors on their team. They're a young team, but I think they're getting better. I think Thompson does a great job, and so I'm feeling pretty good about Georgetown making a nice little run."

Look, I had Georgetown all over my brackets, too, but I'm not the president of the country. Got to be better than that, sir.

Hoyas as Goliath

Via Mister Irrelevant, this was the fourth time a Georgetown team has lost to a team seeded at least five spots lower. More upsetting, it's the second time in three years.

Three-Part Series Up Next?

In the three years following Georgetown's breakthrough Final Four appearance in 2007, the Hoyas now have two NCAA tournament appearances and a 1-2 record.

In the three years following Maryland's breakthrough national championship in 2002, the Terps had two NCAA tournament appearances and a 3-2 record.

Of course, if you play the same game with Florida, the Gators have one NCAA tournament appearance and an 0-1 record since the last time they touched a Final Four, so first things first, I suppose.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 19, 2010; 12:19 AM ET
Categories:  Atlantic 11 , College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Rizzo's new blog
Next: Umpiring at Nats Park

Comments

Ha ha.

Posted by: wahoo2x | March 19, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

As a fan of both teams, it pains me to say that JTIII's Hoyas seem to be turning into what Eddie Jordan's Wizards were. Big 3, likeable guys, nice Princeton offense and can't defend when it matters. Ugh

Posted by: Kev29 | March 19, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Where are all the Gtown fans that attacked me for suggesting the Hoyas were overrated this season? Where are the peeps who questioned whether I'd ever watched any college bball when I said I'd be surprised if the Hoyas made it to the sweet 16? Come on, don't go awol on us now. Tell me how crazy i was to suggest the Big East was a fraud this season. Tell me how stupid I am for wondering why the Hoyas were in the top 10 even after losing 4 of 7. Let's hear it...

Posted by: Barno1 | March 19, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Dan
Lets be fair. Maryland's breakout year was 2001 when they made it to the Final Four (like Georgetown). In the three following years Maryland had three NCAA tournament appearances and a 9-2 record. 2002 was the National Championship, 2003 was a trip to the Sweet Sixteen, 2004 was a second round loss and an ACC championship. Comparisons should always be apples to apples.

Posted by: jjjp1984 | March 19, 2010 7:00 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown was a Jekyll and Hyde team all year. Looks like Hyde showed up to the tournament.

I didn't fill out a bracket this year because the field was so nutty. But I was helping a coworker fill out hers, and I did tell her I didn't feel good about relying on Georgetown to put multiple wins together.

I think she ended up with the Hoyas in the Final Four. Ouch.

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 19, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Steinz, you are the Atlantic 11 poll. You make the rules. You can break the rules. There's no reason you can't have a post-season supplemental Atlantic 11 poll. I think the tournament results demand it!

Posted by: nordicus | March 19, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Also, Dan, I noted this in a different thread, but...

If you are being fair about it, Florida backed up their national championship with a second national championship.

Two Champs in a row buys anyone a whole lot of a grace period afterward.

And I HATE Florida, they took our spot this year.

Posted by: VTDuffman | March 19, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

For all that tremendous talent, Greg Monroe's still just a punk. If he had gone to Duke like everyone thought he was going to, can you IMAGINE how much grief the Devils would have caught over his whiny antics & pathetic body language?

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | March 19, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget football, Steinz...September, 1997..."THE" Ohio University Bobcats invaded College Park and beat the Terps!

OU!!! OU!!!! OU!!!!!

Posted by: 4-12 | March 19, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

First Cavs > Wizz, now Ohio > Gtown.

Ouch - the thits keep coming

Posted by: popopo | March 19, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

What's sad about Barno1 is that is ego is so fragile that he needs to come on the internet just to pat himself on the back when once-in-his-blue-moon-predictions comes true.

I mean, how sad is it that one needs to consistently come on to a website just to constantly belittle others?

Ain't that right Copy/Paste? Now go back to paying for friends.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 19, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I hope MD paid close attention to the Hoyas last night, and don't blow it.

Posted by: clark202 | March 19, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I hope MD were out rioting last night, and blow it.

Posted by: yatesc1 | March 19, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Vasquez is overrated.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 13, 2009 2:20 PM

So now Vasquez can take his fine art of stupid turnovers, unneccessary trash talking and not backing it up, to the NBA.

Good luck pal.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 23, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

With Vasquez back there's no stoping Gary-the-God and the Terps this year.

Terps will win the NCAA Title this upcoming year, right fellow Terp fans?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 16, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

we'll see how you all are feeling come late Feb '10 when .500-Gary and the Terps are struggling to stay a .500 in the ACC.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | June 15, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

It just shows the fans are getting fed up with Gary's .500-teams he's been running out there year-in and year-out.

Time for boozehound to step up the recruiting or hit the bricks.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | January 13, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

ON JORDAN WILLIAMS
---------------------------------

Where's Barno to defend this guy and defend Gary "The God" for recruiting him?

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | September 28, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I can't imagine why Poopy wants the re-posting of old comments to stop. Hmmm, I just can't figure out why Poopy dislikes copy/pasting...it's just such a mystery.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Also find it humorous that Poopy thinks joining a fraternity is the equivalent of "paying for friends." Could this guy be any more ignorant? Poops, you've talked about how lonely you were at UMD, hanging out in the dorms by yourself, avoiding bentleys bc you didn't like the frat guys there. That's fine. But don't blame others for how miserable you were/are. Paying for friends has nothing to do with why people join fraternities, but as we've all come to realize over the years on these blogs...you simply cannot make a relevant point no matter how constantly hard you try.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 20, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Barno loves gobbling up man-meat.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | March 20, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse