Scott Walker already loves Metro

Having mentioned that new winger Scott Walker took Metro to the Caps game on Monday night, I figure I should provide the follow-up. This all comes courtesy of Vya Jairam of the Caps Radio Network, who taped a piece on how Walker's Metro riding will endear him even more to the home crowd.

Walker started by telling Vya he plans to get a SmarTrip card, so taken is he with the mass-transit experience. See, having played most of his career in Nashville and Raleigh, he had apparently never been on a subway system before.

"So I was excited to use it, little bit nervous at first obviously," he told Vya. "But man, people were so helpful. I just kind of looked lost -- that was pretty easy to do -- and people just helped me and taught me how to go over and figure out how to pay for a ticket and how to get on. I'm sure I overpaid a bit, because I was just so scared that I was gonna get trapped in there, so I just made sure I put enough money that I could get in and out. And man, I had a great time, and I'm so excited to use it more now. Now I'm not so scared to just jump on it and head one or two stops or all the way, wherever."

He hadn't yet tried Metro before his wife and kids left town, and he said they were mad at him for not introducing them to mass transit.

"I wasn't sure to take my kids on there and my wife yet because I didn't want to get lost," he explained, "but now they're thrilled and they're excited to come back and give it a go and get downtown and go see the sights...."

"My family, mom and dad, they asked me, 'Well, what's it like, what's the makeup?' " Walker later said. "And I said 'Well, it's mostly people headed to work or home from work or to school or whatever they do.' I said 'They just go about their business, not really much chit-chatting. Just people jump on, do a few stops and they're off.' It's pretty interesting to see and it's amazing to me how it works. So for a small city kid it was pretty exciting, and now I'm so glad, because now it's so much easier to get around for me."

But, Vya pointed out, as his toothless smile becomes more famous around town, it won't be as easy for Walker to slide anonymously into a seat.

"I'll put my teeth in," he suggested. "Got to disguise it."

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 11, 2010; 4:19 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brooks Laich is a skating scientist
Next: The end of Agent Zero

Comments

Maybe he'll sign the Fair Share Metro petition!

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 11, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Adorable.

I'm glad people helped him out; it can be hit or miss.

Posted by: pstenigma | March 11, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

The people at Metro have been looking for a bit of good news recently, and the newest Cap seems more than willing to help.

Just don't "Rock the Red" (Line), Scott ... it's the one line that seems perpetually jinxed.

Posted by: kevmikwa | March 11, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Never road the Skytrain in Vancouver? Guess it might have a stop next to the GMP...

Posted by: TheGreat8 | March 11, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

that makes one person lol

Posted by: j762 | March 11, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

and watch out for the green line... :-) ok just kidding, anacostia we love you

Posted by: destewar | March 11, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Did Metro pay him to say this?

Seriously, doesn't this guy read Toles?

Posted by: JohninMpls | March 11, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

People where helpful? What city did he ride the Metro in? Love that he takes it when he could probably afford a car service.

Posted by: dhartogs | March 11, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

That's just really endearing. Be sure to tell him you can't "overpay" Metro fares - he can save the farecard to add the remaining amount to his new SmarTrip card!

Posted by: kinokonoko | March 11, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Vya Claus hookin' up a story.....love it...

Posted by: CF11555 | March 11, 2010 9:34 PM | Report abuse

If he can remember to stand on the right and walk on the left, maybe we'll keep him.

Posted by: honed | March 11, 2010 9:39 PM | Report abuse

If Scott Walker was here right now I'd make love to him

Posted by: RickyBobby | March 12, 2010 12:20 AM | Report abuse

I might have to get a jersey. Great story. His camo practice went for $1500 at the auction last Saturday. No Metro card included.

Posted by: ridgely1 | March 12, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Believe it or not, people are helpful on the metro. I have friends who have come here and while I worked, they toured and they also remarked that people had shown them how to get around. I myself, have helped countless people on Metro and the Marc train. Are there a few jerks out there that ride the triain? Sure, but there are more good than bad. We have just become a little jaded.

Posted by: ivyleague | March 12, 2010 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who speaks this glowingly of Metro is obviously VERY new. Give it time, Scott Walker, give it time...

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 12, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: alex35332 | March 12, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Maybe this will help encourage Metro to make a Caps-themed SmartCard like they did for Nationals Park a few years ago.

Posted by: rasweeney | March 12, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Didn't McPhee also ride Metro to a game during the storm? I smell a Caps-Metro ad campaign coming.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | March 12, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"and anyone who speaks ill of metro probably is not a long time frequent user. it is still, with all its problems the fastest way to get across a large portion of the city."

That maybe so, but it sure as hell ain't the safest. Spend any time on the "Get There" blog lately?

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 12, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I have been riding metro to work and when I come to town on the weekends. Especially during the summer. Best way to get around in DC and I have NEVER had any issues or felt unsafe. Are you sure you weren't in some other city? Hell, no city has a crime proof system, no city. But, I feel more comfortable with our system then the one in Chicago. Chronic complainers, I guess you can't please everyone.

Posted by: ivyleague | March 12, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I was wondering how the Caps were getting to Verizon during snowmageddon. I ride the orange line and figured some of them might as well? Does anyone know?

Posted by: dcmusician2 | March 12, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

"That maybe so, but it sure as hell ain't the safest."

It's a lot safer than driving, walking, or bicycling. How are you getting around D.C. that's safer?

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 12, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse