Shaone Morrisonn on whether he hates Crosby

(By Molly Riley - Getty)

Holden Kushner and Danny Rouhier hosted a Sidney Crosby bash-fest on 106.7 The Fan Monday night, trying to out-do each other in expressing their contempt for Sid the Kid.

(Note to the inevitable commenters: Yes, D.C. sports fans are obsessed. Yes, I'm feeding this obsession. Yes, we are insignificant, pitiable and self-loathing muskrats, and the surest way to demonstrate your moral superiority is to come onto The Washington Post's Web site and post comments on blogs. So please, by all means.)

Anyhow, when Caps defenseman Shaone Morrisonn dropped in for a few moments, Kushner and Rouhier immediately asked him to join in their Crosby hate.

"Well, I don't like him 'cause he's on Pittsburgh," Morrisonn said. "On a national stage, I'm not gonna comment. But you know, for our team, I definitely dislike the Penguins and Sidney Crosby. I'm not gonna take anything away from him, he's a great player, but I think we've got the best player in the world here with Alex."

At the end of the segment, the hosts tried again, virtually pleading with Mo to use the H word. He laughed.

"I don't know if I can say that," he said. "I dislike Sidney Crosby. I play against him, he's not on my team."

Which is a fair and measured response. I even acted fair and measured by not making the headline read "Morrisonn Dislikes Crosby!!!!!!" Truth is, though, the Caps made their feelings plenty clear when discussing Canada's overtime winner.

"I was really happy that Canada scored, but I was kinda wishing one person wouldn't be the guy who got it," Bruce Boudreau said, via Tarik.

"When Sidney scored that goal last night, I just thought to myself this is gonna fuel [Ovechkin] even more for us to win the Stanley Cup this year," Morrisonn said. "It was kind of bitter to see him score the goal, but I also was happy that Canada won."

And Morrisonn even admitted that he was initially siding with club over nationality.

"Secretly, I was rooting for a Russia-Sweden final, just because Nicklas and Ovi and Sasha, I want them to do well," he said. "But hockey and curling are our game in Canada, so I know if we didn't win that game last night people would have been depressed for at least four years, so winning that game was great for us, we needed that."

The defenseman was also asked, yet again, how he comes down on the Crosby-Ovechkin debate; "I would say Ovi, any day," he said.

"I know both of them on a personal level, and I just see Ovi's passion....Physically, he's just a machine. He's more a power forward, he's gonna run over guys, he's gonna block shots, he's just physically stronger. I think he can take on anybody, there's not a guy in this league that can push Ovi around. I've seen Crosby get pushed around a bit and stuff like that, and he's got Malkin, a little bigger body with him, but I just think Ovi's just a machine out there. I don't think anybody can contain that guy."

(These were all very good quotes for my purposes, and I was getting ready to be very pleased with Morrisonn, until the hosts helped heckle him into bashing Western New York, which now makes me hate all of them.

"They're possibly a team we're gonna face in the first round, so we want to take it to them," Morrisonn said of the Sabres. "And guys are fired up, we're excited to go to Buffalo, if you can say that. I really just said that. Maybe just to play though, not to visit."

Look, it's a fabulous place to visit, and I'll be happy to put together a tourist itinerary for you, or Kushner, or Rouhier, ok? It's not like D.C. is exactly a tropical paradise, if you hadn't noticed.)

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 1, 2010; 8:41 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Local Poll Week XIV: Maryland's Return
Next: About Wilbon's blast at Ovechkin

Comments

I confess. I hate Crosby. I do not claim to be rational or acting my age or really hating him, but he always becomes the center of any frigging story about a game he plays in whether deserved or not. Jonathan Toews was the best forward for Team Canada and he ends up a footnote in the story on that game.

And in the immortal words of DH32: "This is a special kind of hell for Capitals fans. There are 20+ other Canadian players that could have scored the winning goal. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....it had to be Crysby."

Posted by: rbluesw | March 1, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice work, Dan! I got a kick out of their Syd hate fest!

Posted by: Hattrik | March 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

For all he's done in his career, he's STILL living with Mama Mario...weird!!

Posted by: Hatfield223 | March 1, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

It was "I hate Sidney Crosby night" on Holden's show! I think it should be that every single night.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Crosby pushed around a bit? That's funny, Caps fans seem to complain he's not pushed around enough.

Posted by: SamsDog | March 1, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I haven't ever seen an interview with Crosby where I end up thinking, "wow, what a gracious guy." I ALWAYS think he's the opposite. Ovi almost always gives credit to others---whether it's his teammates or the other team or coaches or fans. He's a man. Crosby is a boy.

The first words out of Crosby's mouth after he scored the winning goal for the gold for Canada should have been, "great pass by my teammate to me." Ovi would have said "sick pass!", but Crosby doesn't mind taking ALL the credit. The closest he came to giving others credit was to say what great hockey the Olympics had been. I wonder if he would have said that if Canada had lost. Crosby has skill but no maturity, nothing that compels me to admire anything about him except for his hockey skill.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | March 2, 2010 7:22 AM | Report abuse

Sure, Ovechkin's won 2 PEARSON trophies, the MVP as voted by the players. Maybe he did kick crosby's tail in most individual awards the last few years, while Malkin led the Pens. But can Ovechkin match this? Can he, huh?

Posted by: redlineblue | March 2, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Red, Ovy's won the Hart(x2) trophy, as well as the Calder, Richard, Pearson, Kahrlamov(x4) and Art Ross.

Just saying.

Love the picture there Dan.

Posted by: EricS2 | March 2, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Exactly when did the Post become the D.C. Bureau of TMZ?

Posted by: Jumpy66 | March 2, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I love that he gets to all of you enough that you have to give it this much time, energy, and attention. Ove may be "the best player in the world" but besides all of his invididual accolades, he has done nothing to bring D.C. a cup or Russia a gold medal..."hate" Sid all you want.
Pittsburgh is a better team. Sidney Crosby is a better leader and man than Ove will ever be, and you will never see our fans create an entire facebook page just to hate a player like some Caps fans did. So Lame. We give respect where respect is due. Ove is amazing and I love to watch him play. Hating him would be disrespecting the sport. But I wouldn't expect Caps fans to know about respect!

Posted by: SteelGirl | March 2, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Same old, same old, from the Caps fans. Dan, I actually like these columns because they highlight the lame attitude Caps fans have about OV/Crosby. The difference between Pens and Caps fans: Pens fans actually respect OV's talent but just hate him as a competitor. Caps fans resort to childish name-calling and make up things to bash Crosby. Great quote on a Pens blog today: You have to respect your opponent to beat him. Pens (and fans) respect OV, so they can beat him. Until you respect the talent of Crosby, you will never beat him.

Posted by: vahockeyfan | March 2, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

@steelgirl

No you are wrong. Some Pens fans created a whole website dedicated to bashing Ovechkin and listing everything he does as "dirty." Cuts both ways steelgirl!

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 2, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

That is one awful show. Saving grace is that they talk about things other than the Redskins...and it's better than the Maryland coaches' shows...or PTI/Kornheiser reruns.

Posted by: tha_prophet | March 2, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

@vahockefan

Great quotes on Caps blogs too. Crosby gets a healthy share of respect over here but you have to read the good comments and remember them, not just the bad. Your memory is too selective. And your bias is showing.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | March 2, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

I will take the player who spent the olympics winning a medal not pushing a women with a camera around.

Morrison must have missed the Canada versus Russia game. Canada pounded on Ovechkin and he basically quit in the middle of the game. I am sure players, especially Orpik will emphasize hitting Ovechkin everytime they can now. He may be big but he showed himself to be soft in the Olympics.

Do we need to mention Sid is up 2-0 with a Cup and a gold medal!!

Posted by: tokensteelerx4 | March 2, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Gee, I'm glad the Penguins fans took Dan's invitation seriously.

Crosby vs. Ovi... We get it. Move out of your parent's basement and get on with your life.

Posted by: CapsKnewbie | March 2, 2010 10:40 AM | Report abuse

@steelgirl

maybe you should do your homework. penguins fans actually did create a facebook page, located here:

nice try though. so what were you saying about respect?

Posted by: hubcop84 | March 2, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

LOL, this is STILL going on?

Crazy how a D.C. station with the hottest team in the league can spend the entire time talking about another player on another team and how much they hate him.

Isn't this what women do? Create little "clubs" to get together and gossip about their husbands and in-laws instead of discussing their own lives?

Is it opposite day every day in the D.C. area? Ovechkin blocks shots? He can't be stopped? He got ABUSED in the Canada game. He got slapped around a couple of times by Doughty and Weber and he put his tail between his legs and was INVISIBLE the rest of the game. Oh, and then he got a boo boo trying to catch a FLIP IN with his hand.

I love that you can't find anything to talk about so you make fun of his living arrangements of all things. Stop reflecting your own crappy lives on losers. Living in a millionaire's house isn't like when your meth dealer crashes on your couch above the bowling alley, creating awkward moments when you both have to go to the can at the same time to vomit. Mansions usually have smaller mansions attached to them morons, and they usually don't pay "rent".

I get such a kick that you people are SO obsessed with another player that it prevents you from even functioning normally. It's a beautiful thing to observe, it really is.

Oh and Seinberg, why don't you take a little trip to my neck of the woods so we can suit up (I'll show you the right order of putting on equipment) and we'll have a real hockey discussion instead of your fuel hating nonsense.

Posted by: CanadasBest | March 2, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I am a Pens fan so I have one thing to say...

How in the hell is this still going on? Haven't the Olympics and the CONSTANT Sid v Ovechkin arguments just make you officially sick of them? Seriously, this is such a non-story anymore it is getting absurd. It is literally just Steinberg and Bob Smizik (his Pittsburgh counterpart) that just use these forums to get traffic to make up for their lack of original thoughts. It is working. I think there needs to be a joint effort between Pens and Caps fans to stop these absurd articles that just turn into people personally attacking another person because they are an Ovechkin or Crosby fan. Childish.

Posted by: 1992alloveragain | March 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love Steinberg's pre-emptive strike - We're going to whine and complain about Crosby for the 10,000th time, but if you Pens fans want to come on here and feed your moral superiority complex...

First of all, the Kushner show might be the worst fanboy dreck on the airwaves. Chad Dukes and Lavar sound like Red Smith and Shirley Povich conversing compared to Kushner and his sidekick. Secondly, isn't this obsession a little unhealthy? Pens fans don't like Ovie (we do love seeing Mike Green on your blue line), but we aren't all full of teenage angst about him like Caps fans are about Sid. Seriously, get some self confidence and grow up a bit. And note to Fatty Boudreau and Shaone Morrisonn (nice spelling, journeyman) - you sound like idiots when you whine about Sid scoring the gold medal winning goal for your country. Really, you'd rather watch Ovie or Backstrom win? Those guys could get traded tomorrow. Watching Sid score that goal for Canada didn't do anything for me.

This is why DC is considered, and will always be considered, a bush league sports town. Maybe the Redskins will sign 19 free agents today and you'll have something else to talk about. Until then enjoy your Southeast Division and WNBA Attendance Champion banners.

Posted by: MDPensfan | March 2, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I understand why Capitals fans are angry. Crosby is a great player, but he gets too much praise. He is not a Lemieux or Gretzky, nobody is, but he is treated as one. However, the anger is misplaced. Crosby is not running the league, the tv networks, or the newspapers. It is like directing anger at the teachers pet for being the teachers pet when the anger should be directed at the teacher playing favorites.

I personally think the league should tone it down, for Crosby's own sake. Nobody likes a goody two shoes who gets constantly praised.

That being said, Crosby is a great player and a great guy. His biggest strength has not been recognized, and that is his Michael Jordan-esque competitiveness. His will to win is unparalleled.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | March 2, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Inferiority Complex:

At one time or another, many of us feel inferior compared to our peers. However, for those suffering from an inferiority complex, the psychologically-perceived comparison is so harsh it can lead to a debilitating life. An inferiority complex, as defined by psychiatrists, is a feeling of inadequacy stemming from either real or imaginary sources. While the emotions are often subconscious, it often compels its victims to overcompensate in their performance. This can take the form of either outstanding achievement or severe antisocial antics - or in severe cases, the individual can fluctuate between the two extremes. While a regular human feeling of inferiority can drive someone to healthy success, a person suffering from the complex can reach such a heightened stage of discouragement, they can become a danger to themselves.

More found here: http://www.lifescript.com/Soul/Self/Growth/Understanding_The_Inferiority_Complex.aspx

Appropriately, a website for women

Posted by: onez00 | March 2, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Buffalo'd in buffalo
Entertained in Houston
New York, yew nork,
You gotta choose one

Posted by: KireDCU | March 2, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Right on MD, when you hate someone so much you actually root against your own country on the world's biggest stage, it shows how truly bitter people can be.

Posted by: CanadasBest | March 2, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CanadasBest | March 2, 2010 1:08 PM |

Well, to be fair he said that he was rooting against Canada because of his teammates on another team. It had nothing to do with Crosby. He really wasn't bitter about anything..I mean he said he was happy in the end that Canada won.

As for the amount of personal shots by MD fan up there, bravo. Way to define irony.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 2, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

You stated that Crosby is ungracious. That he took ALL the credit (your emphasis) after scoring the GWG.

Here are some Crosby quotes after the game. ATTENTION, Caps fans, these are quotes, with appropriate punctuation around them. That means HE SAID THEM. The sycophantic media did not conjure them. And, yes, wow, the arrogance really drips off the page, doesn't it?

"Every kid dreams of that opportunity," Crosby said of his heart-stopping goal. "It could have been anybody else, it could have been any other guy in that room. Obviously, being in Canada that's an opportunity of a lifetime to play in the Olympics here and try to win a gold medal. You dream of that moment a thousand times growing up."

“It doesn’t even feel real,” Crosby said. “It feels like a dream.”

"It could have been anybody in that room with all the talent we had here. Everybody worked really hard, and we wanted this one for all of Canada. I never saw myself as the guy, the one who had to get it done."

He mentioned, too, that the gold was Canada's 14th, setting a Winter Olympics record for any nation.

"I'm as proud of us setting that record as anything. It's been a great experience all around, with all our great athletes."

If you think that is a me-first attitude, or arrogance, then you must have a different definition of those words than what's in my dictionary.

Posted by: slipstream1 | March 2, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Also, I defend Crosby pretty constantly on Tarik's blog. (I rarely venture over here to comment on the Bog or other columns.)

I find it quite funny that you guys, whether you are a Pens fan or not, don't acknowledge the endless amount of Caps bashing that goes on conducted under Pens fans. Just do a google search. Everyone who has commented here is around the metro area. (vahockeyfan, MDwhatever) Of course you are going to be around the constant Crosby bashing from Caps fans. It's a part of sports.

Bot go ahead..go visit the pensblog. Go google search some Pens blog. What's that one I found last week...something about a debate over who was more of a girl, Backstrom or Semin. That sure sounds like "respect" to me....

Get over yourselves...there is just as much ignorant Pens fans bashing the Caps as there are ignorant Caps fans bashing the Pens. You live in the metro area...of course you will exposed to it more.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 2, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, slipstream1, for the quotes. I didn't hear them (must have happened long after the game was over and maybe when a press agent told him to f--ing wake up and stop basking in all the glory), and I still think Crosby should have thanked the player who fed him the pass. So, Sid fulfilled his dream, which he said was everyone else's dream too. and that there was a lot of talent in the room. Good for him! I'm glad to know it. Still think he has a long way to go to have a gracious personality, but this is progress for the boy.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | March 2, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@richmondwhatever - I do visit the Pens Blog, and Empty Netters, and Let's Go Pens. All the time. And while there certainly is Ovie bashing and sophomoric jokes about how fat Leonsis and Boudreau are, there isn't the level of crazed obsession the Caps fans have with Crosby. Most Pens fans still consider the Flyers to be their biggest rival, although that is slowly changing.

I get the Crosby backlash, to some extent. The NHL has been touting Crosby as their savior since he was 16 years old and every marketing campaign or televised game features either him or Ovechkin, which to me is a shame. How many people know about Steven Stamkos, who is an absolute stud and just turned 20? But that's not Crosby's fault.

Sorry for all of the "ironic" comments. I'm just having a little fun with the hyper-sensitive and provincial Caps fans. At the end of the day it's just a little ball-breaking on some stupid blog (sorry, BOG). And Backstrom is the biggest girl, look at that hair.

Posted by: MDPensfan | March 2, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@ MDPensfan: Sad to see your parents procreated. What's worse is that you and your ilk have this superiority complex going on like you had a personal hand in the victory in Vancouver. Congrats go out to the hockey team. The lot of you should wake up and realize you're in friggin' Canada. Not much going on there, besides in-breeding. Funny you should call Backstrom a girl because of his hair. Have you seen some of your female hockey fans??? They look like lumberjacks. And let's not get started with Crosby. Wait for it. The guy's a sissy. There. I said the 'S' word. Live down his nutpunching. His crying over hats on the ice after a hat trick. His forgetting to get into the line to shake the hands of his competitors after his team won the Cup. Yeah, you Pens fans have a way of forgetting those moments, huh. Very classy there.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 2, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

So, after all that, you bask in your ironic glory and accept the fact that you are one of those ignorant Pens fan?

Well, okay.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 2, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

What's the difference between Caps and Pens fans? Nothing. There are ignorant Caps and Pens fans who will get angry every time you criticize a player on their team and don't know how to poke some fun, and then there are Caps and Pens fans who are some of the most knowledgeable and respectful people and dislike opposing players for the pure fact that their teams are rivals. One way or another, a Pens fan asking Caps fans to admire a guy like Crosby is like a Yankees fan asking a Red Sox fan to praise Derek Jeter and A-Rod.

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | March 2, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

hockeynightincanada. You may be factually right but miss the point of this thread. It is to vent.

Let me say this. Crosby's goal is nowhere as significant as Henderson's goal was when he scored (I was living in Buffalo at the time, and saw it when it happened). It cheapens the memory of the Summit Series to put Crosby's (and even Mario's Canada Cup's goal) in the same category as Henderson's goal. No one appreciated just how good the Russians were before the Summit Series and in the heart of the Cold War and the remarkable comeback. Jonathan Toews was the best position player of the Olympics but Crosby will be folklore and Toews a footnote.

Posted by: rbluesw | March 2, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

I guess MDPensfan wasn't enough of a giveway that I don't live in Canada. Yes, I'm sure female hockey fans in Maryland all look like lumberjacks.

Sorry you don't have a sense of humor Phil. It's just a game big guy. Now if you're excuse me I'm going to go punch some chick with a camera so Caps fans will worship me.

Posted by: MDPensfan | March 3, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse