Ted Lerner, Daniel Snyder still billionaires

Another year, another Forbes ranking of billionaires, including two who own D.C. sports franchises with losing records.

Both Ted Lerner and Daniel Snyder once again crack Forbes's list, although both lost a few places in the international rankings.

Lerner went from $3.2 billion in 2009 (good for a ranking of 191st) to $3.0 billion in 2010 (good for a ranking of 316th). Yes, that means that his fortune decreased in value by $200 million over the last 12 months, more than you or I will ever see in our lifetimes. I blame Tony Plush's injury.

Snyder's fortune actually increased in value over the past year, according to Forbes, from $1.0 billion to $1.1 billion, thanks mostly to suing weeping grandmothers, I suppose. But his ranking still decreased, from 701st to 880th. Snyder's tied there with a bunch of people, including Alex Spanos of the Chargers and George Steinbrenner of the Yankees.

The only other local-ish sports figure that I noticed was Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, whose $1.5 billion was good for 655th on the list.

And you could combine all three of those guys together and not touch the country's richest sports owner, Seattle's Paul Allen, whose $13.5 billion piggy bank ranks 37th in the world, according to the magazine.

Now I'm going to go find a Johnny Rockets and splurge on breakfast. Got to help Snyder stop the freefall. It's a matter of civic pride.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 16, 2010; 9:26 AM ET
Categories:  Nats , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau, Mariotti and Ovechkin
Next: Cory Stillman on Alex Ovechkin

Comments

Posted by: alwaysaskinsfan | March 16, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm heading to the Redskins Store at lunch and buying a whole bunch of crap I don't need.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 16, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

"Who care about this crap...write about something with some substance. Never mind, not sure you are capable of it. First."

lol

I love stoooopid people.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | March 16, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

With a heart that dark, how do you NOT make money?

Posted by: rdpinva | March 16, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I guess it's due more to the fact that his entire fortune is tied up with the Redskins, but I'm surprised that Danny is so low on the list (behind Bisciotti!!!!!!)

Also interesting that the Lerners more than double the personal fortunes of Steinbrenner

Posted by: jbanks979 | March 16, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

More like triple.

Posted by: uasport1 | March 16, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

What about Leonsis? That guys gotta be loaded.

Posted by: futbolclif | March 16, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I want to go to Six Flags this summer. Summers without roller coasters are just a little lamer than they would otherwise be.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 17, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse