Terps fans storm the court, take over streets

There were three quotes I wrote down after emerging from the hot, smelly, sweaty mess of Maryland students who stormed the court after the Terps beat Duke Wednesday night:

1) "This is why I came to Maryland."

2) "Storming the court is awesome."

3) "Let's go to Bentley's."

Look, I'm probably contradicting myself here, but why get into semantics about whether it was an appropriate time to storm the court? The win meant a lot of things, from first place in the ACC to senior night for one of the best players in school history to a secure place in the Top 25. Who cares if you're not "supposed" to storm the court at Maryland? It's fun as heck, for the students and for the players. Why not? "Act like you've been there before?" For whom? Anyhow, many of these students haven't been there before.

"It was real cool being rushed on the floor," Landon Milbourne said, according to @1067thefandc. "I'm never going to forget it. I tried to stay out there as long as possible."

Vasquez himself was more emotional, as you might imagine.

"It's just great, man, great, it's great," he said of the court storming. "It's an unbelievable feeling. I'm just proud of my teammates and I'm so thankful to be here enjoying this moment. So it's unbelievable."

You want more emotional? Here's what he said about Gary Williams.

"He's my father, my friend, my mentor, my everything," Vasquez said. "You know, he motivated me. Every time I see him, I see myself. Hopefully I look better. But I just love him. I love him. I will never leave him or anything like that. I will always have his back. And I'm gonna always come back to this place. Always. Always....I love this place, man. This is my house."

As for that house, it got a bit peppy later in the night. I didn't make it over to Route 1 until about 12:10, by which point the whole joint was filled with flashing lights and officers diverting cars anywhere but into the mayhem. When I finally looped around, parked and got there on foot, there was a circling helicopter and loads of riot police and lots of kids, milling about and exchanging stories about running into horses and seeing tear gas and all the rest. The streets themselves were eerily empty, with all the kids gathered on the sidewalks. Read more here. It felt like 2002 all over again.

I tried to approach the police to take a photo but one of them started yelling at me, so I left. Fortunately, the Post's Sarah Voisin was there, and she recorded a series of amazing images.

A Maryland student also sent me this photo of a Duke jersey engulfed in flames. If nothing else, I suppose no one will be able to claim all those jokes about College Park riots are outdated.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 4, 2010; 2:17 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Scott Walker: "I'm just thrilled"
Next: Vasquez's ridiculous shot clinches POY

Comments

I guess if you can't find a couch to burn, a Duke jersey will do.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | March 4, 2010 3:05 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't make it CP for the game, but I torched my couch in the street anyway... You know, for nostalgia's sake.

In other news - this should vault MD to a 4 or 5 seed easy now. Possibly a 3 with a good run in the ACC tourney....

Posted by: putnam23 | March 4, 2010 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Ah! Reminds me of the Mattress Burning Days on Route 1; when when I was staying at a guest house down the street from the infamous boarded up Sigma Chi House and would listen to chippies barfing at 3 AM on the way back from Frat parties.

Posted by: rtreff | March 4, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Stay Classy Terp Fans.

Posted by: rdpinva | March 4, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mjwies11 | March 4, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Stay lame rdpinva.

Posted by: emcb1230 | March 4, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

"Why can't Terps fans show some class? This stupidity is getting old. If I was a taxpayer in Maryland I would be quite unhappy with the disgrace that these kids bring to the University."

I think you answered your question yourself. These are 17 to 22 year olds! They are KIDS!

Posted by: BrokenClipboard | March 4, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Duke and UNC students rush the streets and start bonfires every time they beat each other. They do this stuff sometimes twice or more per year, but it's not a "riot" down South. There it's just considered a great tradition.

Posted by: mptaylor11 | March 4, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Whatever. The taxpayers have nothing to complain about, I'm sure those cops were getting paid overtime whether they had to work for it or not. At least they got to practice their crowd control and let off some tear-gas.

I will agree, though, that if we could just get rid of all the students, the University of Maryland would be a perfect place.

Posted by: BillyReubenBrown | March 4, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

I was there last night, and the helicopters and horses were out BEFORE the students got to Rt 1. Anyone blaming the "students" as a whole is as ignorant as the cops who beat kids for not moving fast enough and yell at Post reporters for taking pictures.

Posted by: shrshot | March 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Shut the hell up Steinberg. I wish that cop had taken a baton to your arse.

Posted by: thedude1974 | March 4, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

As if I needed another reason to live on the good side of the Potomac........

Posted by: dtysko | March 4, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@mptaylor11

Duke and UNC get permission from their local fire departments.

Posted by: pearlbullets | March 4, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Also, at Duke at least, the celebrations/bonfires are usually in the quad on campus, which means traffic isn't blocked, etc.

Having said that, quite a celebration for a regular season win over Duke. Geez, the Terps haven't even won the ACC regular season title. Obviously an inferiority complex that Maryland has with Duke--Maryland has more recently won a national championship than Duke and yet their fans celebrate a win over Duke as if it's some amazing, unprecedented accomplishment.

Posted by: TheFingerman | March 4, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Are Maryland fans (especially students) now on par with Eagles and Yankees fans in terms of their behavior? Maybe its all the New Jersey transplants in College Park...

Posted by: nordicus | March 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

yeah, i've seen UNC students start spontaneous bonfires on the middle of franklin street... I really doubt that the fire dept OKd that one.

Posted by: someguy100 | March 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

The Murland students ARE at "fault" for the riot police's pay. Because Murlanders causing lawless ruckus is SO common and expected that they HAVE to be out there.

Way to be, Murland. Your ranked team beat another ranked team. Classless d-bags.

Posted by: TheSuperhoo | March 4, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

@someguy100

you're probably right about UNC. I know Duke gets permission from the fire department to have a bonfire on the quad.

Posted by: pearlbullets | March 4, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

More than anything, storming the court over games like this reflects U of MD's inferiority complex in the ACC............

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 4, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

A few points; First if you have class you wouldn’t be accusing others of not having it because that’s just low class.

Second, the good side of the Potomac is Maryland. Maryland has the best public education in the country, most college educated adults per capita, and is the wealthiest state in the country. Maryland also has Baltimore when you need a good laugh (I live in Bmore so I can say that)

Finally, the students are a bunch of 18-21 year old drunken fools having fun. Let them have their fun.

Posted by: doesntmatter | March 4, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

wtf is with all this "classy" crap? what are you guys 80 years old? man up pu**ies. Maryland fans aren't classy and we don't want to be "classy" you morons. we're passionate and that's all that matters.

oh yeah F*** dook

Posted by: TheMarylander | March 4, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

There really wasn't very much damage, the road was only closed for about an hour, it was after midnight so there wasn't much traffic, The last time we "rioted" at MD was four years ago when the women won the national championship. what's the big deal? This seems to be getting blown way out of proportion.

Posted by: Kuklie07 | March 4, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what would happen if UMD fans met with WVU fans. Just make sure you don't have any loose couches...

Posted by: jsnloss | March 4, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Good old trashy Maryland! What a school full of classless jersey trash. too bad they didn't start fires and burn down that hideous campus of theirs in the middle of the ghetto.

Posted by: Berghead | March 4, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

The Superhoo is angry because Virginia pretty much sucks at everything other than Lacrosse, Baseball, and Tennis.

Posted by: JMSinCHeights | March 4, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Who does the rioting really hurt?

Fact: The businesses on Route 1 generate 99% of their business from the University of Maryland and students of the University.

Fact: The businesses on Route 1 move there with knowledge of the schools long history of rioting.

Fact: They stay in spite of the rioting because it is lucrative

Fact: The only people trying to drive through that area of Route 1 at midnight... after a huge game are spectators, every else knows better.

Fact: The students are the ones who end up hurt, shot with pepper bullets, blasted with water...hit by cars, etc...

Fact: The University is still a top University and continues to recruit top students... have top research programs and continues to generate revenue for the state...

Get over it!... FEAR THE TURTLE!

Posted by: Imissmyterps | March 4, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Lame and low class as always. It's not like it's news when Maryland students get out of hand and make fools of themselves... happens all the time.

Posted by: gmusicchic | March 4, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I heard there were 27 arrests last night some of them for civil disobedience. Good, that's 27 less UMD grads I'll be competing with for jobs requiring a background check. Keep on winning Terps!!! And yes, there are some that are fearing the turtle - too bad they're the one's hiring. Enjoy your moments kiddies, I'm sure your mommies and daddies have comfortable basements.

Posted by: MDL7 | March 4, 2010 12:17 PM | Report abuse

To everyone who is hating on Maryland fans: Sorry we have more school spirit than you and know how to have fun. Jealousy is an ugly, ugly disease. Get well soon.

Posted by: kgoldsbo | March 4, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

It's called being a college kid, getting drunk, enjoying a HUGE win, and having a good time celebrating. I'm sure a couple kids take it too far, but in general, it's all in good fun. Relax you uptight d-bags.

GO TERPS!!! F Duke!!! Greivis for player of the year, and Gary for coach of the year!

Posted by: CKTerp | March 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

@pearlbullets

You're right. I live in North Carolina and have seen some of the bonfires/celebrations first-hand. The fire department puts out the fires after a given time and the cops largely roam the perimeters making sure no one gets hurt.

It still surprises me that vandalism is largely given a pass at any school (for example, they tore down the Franklin Street sign after UNC won the championship last year). Nevertheless, Maryland needs to find a way to corral these celebration so it's not viewed as (or turns into) a riot every time the kids celebrate.

Last night was great for the Terps, for the ACC, and for basketball. What more could you ask for then the top two candidates for Player of the Year going head-to-head with the game, and possibly the ACC title, on the line. Unfortunately, the post-game celebration seems to have become a big story.

Posted by: mptaylor11 | March 4, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"This is why I came to Maryland"

Great, because it wasn't to graduate. :)

A HUGE win? A good win, but not huge. Duke will still win the regular season ACC title.

Posted by: mellwood1 | March 4, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Great, because it wasn't to graduate. :)

--------------

you obviously don't know anything about bball. MAryland will share the title with dook if both teams win on sat, which seems very likely. the only way dook will claim the title alone is if the terps lose to bottom-of-the-barrel uva in methtown.

And btw I went to Maryland for the same reason and just graduated with a starting salary prob higher than yours.

Posted by: TheMarylander | March 4, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I guess all the rioting Maryland fans forgot that their Basketball program ranks as number 321 out of 321 Division I schools when it comes to their players actually graduating with a degree.

0 basketball players who enrolled between 1997 and 2000 graduated:

And only 10% of those who enrolled between 1999 and 2002 graduated:

Then again, it's unsurprising, given the quality of the education Maryland's 'student'-athletes receive, or had you forgotten Steve Blake's 'essay' on Johnny Rockets hamburgers:

Posted by: sharkd | March 4, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

big surprise all the UVA haters are retreating to academics as a comeback when the subject is sports. Wasn't that university founded by a slave owner and an adulterer? Chew on that zima lovers

There is a great song by the Gin Blossoms that I think you would like...it's called "Hey Jealousy"...enjoy!!

Posted by: pingdanny | March 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone commenting on the classlessness of Maryland students/fans is jealous. You all have won the national title before, right? Act like you have been there before. Rioting and starting fires after a game that didn't decide anything just proves how trashy Maryland students have become.

Posted by: Berghead | March 4, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

hey twerps, this is such an act of stupidity and immaturity. i guess since yall have nothing to celebrate over with all of the other sports you think its okay to act like embosoles after beating dook. also im sure their were young kids watching the game, so when you chant "
f dook" thats not cool. Grow up and stop embarassing the ACC.

Posted by: cwall1 | March 4, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Maryland student and I just want to say that I'm really sorry we got excited about beating Duke. Not. This was a big game for us; Duke is our biggest rival and winning against them on Senior Night was a really big deal. Any Maryland fan loves beating Duke, and the fact that this win tied us at the top of the ACC and made us undefeated at home in the ACC made it an even bigger deal. To the people bringing up our basketball players not graduating, what does that have to do with anything? People recruited to schools to play basketball are there mainly to play basketball; graduation statistics are a non-issue. And to everyone calling us "trashy" and "classless"--you act like you've never been excited about your team winning a game before. We are 18-22 year olds, we should be allowed to have some fun when our team beats our rival. The "riot" was barely a riot and was basically a lot of kids jumping around in the streets and the police blowing it out of proportion by shooting people with paintballs and spraying people with pepper spray. Please stop commenting about us being immature and classless when you are probably just angry that we are doing really well this year. Go Terps!!!

Posted by: sokay | March 4, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Lets get a few things straight children. The last place the police wanted to be last night was at Rt. 1 and Knox Road. They were requested to be there by the University and didn't have the luxury of opting out. Secondly, we know from previous experience that two things occur when this behavior goes entirely unchecked. Property gets damaged and injuries occur which result in civil suits by the very students participating because the University did nothing to stop the behavior. Having said that, the University needs to get serious about immediate expulsion for students arrested by police during these demonstrations. To be sure, anyone stupid enough to stand in the middle of Rt.1 while defying law enforcement's warnings to clear the street, while 10 horse and approximately 100 officers in full riot gear advance, certainly should not have been admitted to the University in the first place.

Posted by: terpalum1991 | March 4, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm no law expert, but I'm pretty sure the University can't expel someone for being arrested. Arrest and conviction are not the same thing.

And with regard to the graduation rates, it certainly isn't a good thing, but I suspect that some of those players may have eventually completed their degrees. The report linked above defines successful graduation as being within 6 years from first enrollment.

Posted by: BillyReubenBrown | March 4, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

@sokay: Can you really call it a rivalry if only one of the two schools consider it as such?

Maryland seems to consider its basketball series with Duke to be a rivalry. Duke, on the other hand, doesn't.

Sure, the ACC expansion resulted in Duke partnering for annual "Home & Home" series with UNC and Maryland but that's only because Duke's traditional rivals are all within the state of North Carolina (UNC, NC State and Wake) and the ACC wanted to avoid having all four North Carolina schools in exclusively serving as each others "Home & Home" partner.

Posted by: sharkd | March 5, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Sokay wrote: People recruited to schools to play basketball are there mainly to play basketball; graduation statistics are a non-issue.

---

That's funny, I thought the NCAA called them student-athletes because they were supposed to be students, first and foremost and athletes, second. Apparently, the Univ. of MD at College Park considers itself an extension of the NBA Development League.

It's also funny how top academic schools with decent basketball teams haven't had the same troubles graduating players within 6 years of their enrollment:
John Wooden had a 70%+ graduation rate throughout his tenure at UCLA.
Dean Smith racked-up an impressive 97% graduation rate at what is widely considered one of the best public universities in the nation.
Mike Krzyzewski has a 90%+ rate and a 98% rate for students who exercised all 4 years of eligibility.
Tom Crean (Indiana / Marquette) has graduated over 90% of his athletes and has a couple of 100% years under his belt.

Posted by: sharkd | March 5, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse