Vasquez's ridiculous shot clinches POY

Does it matter who the ACC's Player of the Year is? Not really. I couldn't name the ACC POY five years ago, much less 15 or 25 years ago. But it's the same with being named to the Pro Bowl; it's the principle of the thing, and it's a source of great pride at the time of the actual event, no matter how quickly fans might forget it.

And so, if you wanted to construct a sequence in which Greivis Vasquez would definitively pass Jon Scheyer as the front-runner for this year's conference honor, it might go like this: The Duke media relations staff leaves a huge pile of glossy brochures pushing Scheyer's candidacy in the Maryland media lounge, the two players both play key roles in a tremendous nationally televised basketball game that's destined to come down to the final few minutes, and when it finally gets to be crunch time, Vasquez hits a truly absurd shot while being defended by Scheyer, who then goes down and misses at the other end. See here.

Voters presumably have a more complicated formula than watching the final 90 seconds of this game, but the gentlemen on both sides of me when that happened both said, "Vasquez just clinched Player of the Year."

"I don't think I won it yet," Vasquez said after the game. "I can't tell you that. I think Scheyer's an unbelievable player, unbelievable. He gives me headaches. He's good. He's good. And then [Malcolm] Delaney's a great player. I won't be mad if I share this award with those two guys. Scheyer, he's just good. He's good. He's good. I wish I could have him on my team."

As for that shot?

"It was a tough shot," Vasquez admitted with a smile. "It was meant to be. I'm honest. I work on those shots, but God wanted me to score that the way that I did....I work on those shots. I'm gonna be honest. It went in. it was meant to be and I thank God for that and for everything he did for us today. But it was an unbelievable shot, it was tough, and I was gonna take credit if I would have [missed] it. I made it, I'll take the credit, but I was gonna take the hit if I would have missed it. So I was gonna go for it, I was gonna take that risk, and then I got it in."

("He didn't think there was anything wrong with it, so I'm with him," Gary Williams joked.)

Vasquez also reflected on his final experience at Comcast Center, and he did so in typically Greivisian language. His quotes will be as difficult to replace as his points and his facial hair.

"I'm so happy that I came back to school," he said. "I want to thank the whole Maryland institution for having me here, I'm sure my family is so thankful too, and my whole country is so thankful. We don't have no words, how we can thank everybody at Maryland. Every professor, every student, everybody that worked with us. It's been great....

"This is a dream for me. I'm in the driver's seat. I still can't believe it man. I can't believe it. And that's why I'm so humble. People think I'm cocky? Nah, I'm humble. I'm humble because I don't believe what I'm leaving right now, and that's the beauty of life. And I thank God every morning, every day, because what I'm going through, I'm sure many man kids at home want to go through too. So it's an unbelievable feeling."

(Video via The Dagger; Photoshop via @adamhch)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 4, 2010; 3:08 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Terps fans storm the court, take over streets
Next: D.C. Council makes play for Winter Classic

Comments

First to say the Greivis haters have been SILENCED!

Posted by: Kenbeatrizz | March 4, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Greivis Vasquez is the Siobhan Magnus of the ACC. Certainly not conventionally pretty and his choices make you shake you head sometimes, but in the words of Randy Jackson, "You come out, dude, you are so bold and so fearless, and let me tell you something, it was dope! You slayed it!"

Also, Jordan Williams has a knack for the clutch play down the stretch. Great hands, great instincts, soon to be great player. It's too bad Gary can't recruit anymore.

Posted by: fitzfacts | March 4, 2010 8:37 AM | Report abuse

fitz - did you DVR idol or the game?

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | March 4, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Beautiful man....just beautiful. Best photoshop of the year.
Man that scheyer propaganda poster stuff is CREEPY.

Posted by: FandBops | March 4, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I like the smile tugging at Coach K. What is he thinking? "I can't catch a break"? "Thank god this thing is over"?

Posted by: justsayin | March 4, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Can athletes just leave god out of the equation? Sheesh.

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | March 4, 2010 9:38 AM | Report abuse

The video proves to me how much the announcers can sway thoughts. I was at the game and when I saw it, I was elated because it pushed our lead. But was it an incredible shot? Honestly not from where I was sitting. There is a level of "been there done that" or in this case "been there, seen that" with Vasquez. He throws up crazy shots every game and half of them go in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Vasquez hater. Been a Terp fan all my life and I think he's a terrific player...among the good company of all the greats, but I understand how his confidence or rather cockiness irritates some.

That shot did not solidify his POY award. I think it will come down to next week and see how both Scheyer and Vasquez perform in their final regular season games.

Posted by: lamaccountant1 | March 4, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Can athletes just leave god out of the equation? Sheesh.

Well I guess they could but then none of us would be here since THE LORD CREATED ALL THINGS.
Just like GV said "I thank my parents for without them I wouldn't be here". How much more credit and honor to the One who created them.

Great shot and great job giving credit and honor where it's due.

Posted by: snowbill27 | March 4, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Normally, I think it's a bit silly for athletes to suggest that God favors one side over another in a sporting contest...however, Talmudic scholars, leading Imams, and numerous Jesuit professors of religion agree: God hates Duke.

Posted by: EdTheRed | March 4, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanking a imaginary friend is lame, i agree tyler, people should find a new dude to worship when it comes to interviews...

Posted by: MajorFacemask | March 4, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

GV has to be a legit threat for National POY. So clutch.

Posted by: lavar609 | March 4, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

vasquez acted like hulk hogan on the court... he should go into professional wrestling after he goes undrafted next year.

Posted by: mopp04 | March 4, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

I dont hate on GV.. I call it the way I see it. First, I cheer MD bball but Scheyer torched him last night.. he couldn't guard a white boy in basketball... the ballers in the NBA are a lot faster (granted, no defense is played in the NBA). he played out of control and lets be honest, that last shot.. he got a very lucky bounce. Dont get me wrong, he is a good player.. he is not a great player. Iwill say though, his cheerleading will come in handy when he is buried on someone's bench next year. His stock is overseas.

Posted by: rvanags | March 4, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Can athletes just leave god out of the equation? Sheesh.

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | March 4, 2010 9:38 AM

And the stupid whinny jealous of athletes blogger award goes to tylerdurden1. Get up here and except your award. Dont forget to thank GOD in your acceptance speech.

Posted by: ged0386 | March 4, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

When is a poster pathetic? When they waste time breaking down and critiquing a 22 year old college student athletes post game interview after he its a game winning shot as if it were his thesis. Get a life people. Really, get a life.

Posted by: ged0386 | March 4, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

During the replay, the look on Zoubek's face when the shot falls? Priceless.

Posted by: Watson1 | March 4, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Scheyer torched him? Hey i****, did you see how many screens were set by Duke big men on Vasquez? How many times Vasquez was knocked backward by Zoubek? He played out of control? How many times did you even watch the Terps play this year? They won on most nights because of him! Wake up, i****! By the way, it was not a lucky bounce if he didn't throw it up in a way so that it could get in :-) And what does Vasquez's future NBA career has anything to do with his contribution to the MD basketball program?

Posted by: lacviet | March 4, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Sadly, Vasquez has only a tiny chance for POY. Why? Two reasons: 1) He's the most hated player in the league and 2) MD is not a NC school. It's sad how little credit MD is getting even in the national polls. If that was the Tarheels with that 22-7 record coming INTO the Duke game, they would have EASILY been inside the top 15. MD is the Rodney Dangerfield of the ACC.

Posted by: shanks1 | March 4, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, ged0386, I think you're really losing it. You're really out to lunch. What I'm trying to say is I think you're crazy. Like nuts. Am I making myself clear? You are crazy, crazy, crazy. And in case I didn't properly express it: crazy.

Why? Because the Tyler guy raises a legitimate point. There is no reason at all to bring up God in a post-game interview. God does not choose sides in sporting events. God does not reward or punish in sporting events. God may not even exist. And the Tyler guy said nothing at all whiny or jealous at all. It was lame and superfulous for Vasquez to say that. It was not pathetic, whiny, or anything else for the Tyler guy to comment on it. Your post makes no sense. You apparently don't know what the word "whiny" means. Look it up, dummy.

Posted by: Urnesto | March 4, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

granted, if the school logo said UNC instead of UM, the TarHeels would be in the top 15, maybe top 10.

but still, if the guys don't let down and keep it going at UVa, I fully expect UM to be in the top 15, likely top 12. And if they do the improbable and win the ACC tourney, and have to beat Duke again, I'd be expecting a 3 seed (and if a bunch of others lose, maybe the last 2 seed). how ridiculous could that get.

otherwise, I'd just like to see them get a 4, that would be a nice reward for a wonderful year.

Posted by: Rogueone | March 4, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse