Video of College Park scene

View more news videos at: http://www.nbcwashington.com/video.

There seems to be some disagreement about whether to term Wednesday night's party-with-police event on Route 1 a "riot," or maybe just a "peaceful gathering involving tear gas and people carrying around street signs."

I don't know what the right term is for the scene pictured above, so I'll let you decide. It's definitely a scene. The police say 1,500 people and 27 arrests, according to Fox 5.

(Via NBC Washington)

(And Fox 5 has posted video of garbage can fires, but I can't use those since the fires are accompanied by profane chants about Duke.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 4, 2010; 11:12 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Terps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C. Council makes play for Winter Classic
Next: Jordan Williams dunks on Jon Scheyer

Comments

let that have been a whole bunch of black people out there...its crazy how differently we're still treated

Posted by: cousin79 | March 4, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

If this happens in State College or College Station or any more rurally place large state school and it's just a roudy Wednesday in the middle of nowhere. If it happens here it's a full blown riot and Wilbon is out telling us how bad the youths of today are.

Plus if the cops let people assemble on Frat Row or Chapel Field then there's less damage. Students want to cluster somewhere, so if you let them all cluster on Frat Row or Chapel Field, plus have Speacial K there and have folks give away t-shirts, then you can mitigate the issue. Instead there's just a line of riot/hourse cops looking for trouble.

Also, college students steal street signs and swear a lot. This is not news.

Posted by: M__N | March 4, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Doesn't looke like a "scene" to me. A little too much focus on that one sign, huh?
cousin79, as much as I get sick and tired of the race card played everytime on issues that have nothing to do with race, in this case you are right. Instead of them being just "kid" they would be "hoods."
But, realizing that, let's ask ourselves how we and the press would react if they were, hmm, let's say europeans or canadians. I was up in Vancouver and saw much more hard core "partying" that what went on in College Park... I couldn't help but wonder after reading the media's reaction to it if they would have been as generous and kind had those people urinating in the streets and shouting "F-you, USA" were Americans shouting "F-you, canada!"

Posted by: FreddyFrecks | March 4, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

I live less than a mile from that scene. It seems less violent than in the past, but I am outraged that this nonsense continues without the university doing anything. One student years ago said it's tradition for Md fans to riot. Excuse me? Families live nearby, and a sporting victory is not a world-changing event. I root against them just because of this immature, selfish behavior.

Posted by: Highfive8 | March 4, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

"I root against them just because of this immature, selfish behavior."

Highfive8, losing doesn't stop UMCP students from rioting. LOL!

Posted by: FreddyFrecks | March 4, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Highfive is a nerd

Posted by: jpfterps | March 4, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

OK.... An unnecessary road sign was removed, and people are jumping up and down in the street, no acts of violence, no looting, no windows smashed, no cars on fire, no etc. and the riot is where??????? Police and tight @$$ citizens, get it together.

Posted by: mrmaye | March 4, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse