What Andray Blatche's benching looked like

This was Andray Blatche during one of the Wizards' in-game huddles Tuesday night. See what the rest of his teammates were doing at the time below.

It all reminds me of a quote Blatche gave me when he was switching his number from 32 to 7 over the summer.

"We've got a new coaching staff, we changed a lot, so it's time for me to change my whole style, my whole mentality," he said. "I'm wearing 7, and that means 7 days [a week] of hard work, 7 days of being focused. I'm all about business, and I've got a big opportunity I'm gonna take advantage of."

I mean, all players say stuff like that, but Six-and-a-Half-Day Dray has said stuff like that so many times. Here's what Michael Lee wrote last fall:

The motivation for Blatche to change wasn't just that he wanted a clean slate with the Washington Wizards' third coach in the past year, Flip Saunders. He said it was mostly a long, weighty conversation that he had last season with his mother, Angela Oliver.

"She said, 'You're too lackadaisical, like you're just out there goofing around with your friends,' " Blatche said. "After a while I was like, 'You're right: This is my job, this is my team, I need to go ahead and step my game up and be more focused.' "

"I want to be an All-Star, I want to be a franchise player,'' he told SI.com three years ago. "I want to be a Gilbert Arenas: I want to have my own commercial and my own shoes, with a very large fan base.''

Then there were the live Tweets of his behavior from @Truth_About_It and @BulletsForever Tuesday night.

* Andray Blatche is at end of the bench. He looks healthy, but hasn't participated in team huddles.

* Before the start of the 3rd, Blatche sauntered toward the pre-2nd half huddle, didn't make it in time before it broke.

* Andray Blatche just stumbled out of the locker room after the buzzer sounded and didn't even make it to the huddle. He remains on the bench.

* They just showed a Blatche dunk highlight as the "Drive of the Game" -- funny, I thought it'd be his drive home.

* As the wizards huddled up, Andray Blatche was staring aimlessly into the crowd.

Blatche now says he didn't refuse to talk to coaches on the bench, though he admitted he didn't want to talk to him when he was refused.

"I thought it was gonna be about shot selection, and it was too early to be talking about that," he told Grant Paulsen. "So I just went over to the bench and sat down."

Here was a contemporaneous account, from Truth About It:

It was evident that something was going on when Flip Saunders checked Blatche out of the game at the 4:28 mark in the first. The player immediately went to the end of the bench, plopped himself in the furthest possible seat from the coaching staff and began to sulk. For the rest of the first half, Blatche would remain disconnected from his team and aloof during timeouts, looking anywhere except the huddle.

In fairness, a lot of guys watch the big screen during timeouts. Especially during Kiss Cam.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 24, 2010; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Dexter Manley's German Shepherd coat
Next: Andray Blatche disputes Flip Saunders's account

Comments

Da Baby Dre needs to grow up. I hope it's on anther team - franchise player - how about disenfranchised player? That about describes him...goodbye Blah, Blah Blatche...

Posted by: terptek | March 24, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

And you wonder why so many fans are disillusioned with the NBA? Do you think Magic, MJ, or Bird would have tolerated a teammate pulling that nonsense?

Posted by: InTheMiddle | March 24, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Blatche needs to man up. First he was complaining that he couldn't get on the court because of the stars in front of him, and now he's whining when Saunders coaches him and gives him some direction.

I haven't always agreed with Saunders this season, but he's right in this case. Playing great for a 15-20 game stretch or whatever doesn't give someone the liberty to ignore the coaching staff and just do whatever he wants out there. It's still about getting better, and most importantly, winning, which this team knows very little about.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | March 24, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

It's too early? Jeezus, maybe that has something to do with losing 12 in a row.

Posted by: tha_prophet | March 24, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Dump the bum Blatche.

Posted by: berou | March 24, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Blatche will certainly be a Wizard next year, and this little episode will be forgotten a week from now.

Posted by: Barno1 | March 24, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't blame Blatche one bit. Just another player the coaches have ruined. Why would Saunders play hard ball with the only real player they have left? He tolerated jamison with his pitiful defense, dumb long shots and turnovers. He tolerated Butler who had the exact same deficiencies. Saunders needs a good shot to the nose. I hope Blatche gives it to him.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | March 24, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1

-----

Probably, but he needs to stop acting like a child. Most Wizards fans realize he could be a star if he'd stop being so immature at times.

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | March 24, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

"I want to be a Gilbert Arenas"

That's the problem Dray.

Posted by: Predator48 | March 24, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I wonder how much time needs to elapse before it's acceptable for a coach to question a player's shot selection.

Posted by: TheSecretWeapon | March 24, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Blatche better realize that Saunders has coached teams to NBA championships and has coached players that are better then him, while he has not won anything. The last thing he should want is to be labeled "uncoachable"

Posted by: mdondon300 | March 24, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Andre Blatche is a petulant child. This is why kids should be forced to at least attent 2 years of college - no discipline. He models himself after Gilbert Arenas - that's 99.9 percent of the problem right there. Dump him - quick

Posted by: jrochelle | March 24, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

this just means Grunfeld needs to go , he has done alot for this franchise taking us to postseason for 4 straight yrs, but whats happening now is got think mostly his fault. he has not brought in the right group of people to have played with jamison and butler and haywood, wrong group of veterans with immature group of young guys. obviously cant blame him for the injuries but he could have controlled arenas better and last two years felt apart. this team need more veteran championship experience players. we learned foye and miller are good players. but foye needs to start because he useless of the bench

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | March 24, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Poor 7 Day Dray. He's been in decline since the Wiz released Party John. Coincidence? I think not.

Posted by: Dellis2 | March 24, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Everything he wants to be is all about him and nothing about winning.

Posted by: will_ga | March 24, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Man, this blogging stuff is outrageous. You don't have to have any legit sources, you can quote other blogs as fact. Plus you get to set opinions based on -- nothing! Must be a great gig, Steinberg!

Posted by: swinging4thefence | March 24, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

'So long Mel...have a good trip'

Posted by: kahlua87 | March 24, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I am amused by all the fuss.

Blatche is a nobody. 2 years from now he will be riding someone else's bench in the NBA making the same excuses and rationalizations for how he has failed to get ahead and become a premiere player.

The Wizards need to start over and that means clearing out Blatche and a couple of other players like Nick Young that don't have a winning attitude.

Now, that the Big 3 are largely out of the picture you can see that there were other problems on this team as well.

Posted by: leopard09 | March 24, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

If the Wizards do dump Dre (and I hope they don't and find a decent coach without a history of player mutiny) dump him on the Lakers. With Phil Jackson showing the way and Kobe, Fisher and Odom to keep him in line, he would realize his considerable potential. I wonder what book Phil would give him?

Posted by: morefromLA | March 24, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

They put him on kiss Cam, he makes up with Flip, all is good. Wizard style.

Posted by: TheDubb | March 24, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Wait, I think I see, I see, I see ... the next Gilbert.

Posted by: horace1 | March 24, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: morefromLA | March 24, 2010 5:37 PM

So you're saying he could become the next Kwame Brown?

Posted by: mack1 | March 24, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse