White House responds to "Barack the Red"

A bit more than 24 hours after Barack the Red was launched, dedicated to the mission of luring Barack Obama to a Caps game, the White House responded to the request. No, I'm not joking.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, of course, had lost an Olympic-themed bet that required him to wear a Canadian hockey jersey to his briefing on Friday, which he eventually swapped out for a USA model. Puck talk was thus in the briefing-room air, which was all the opening that some noble media soul needed. Would love to know who that soul was, incidentally.

Here's the transcript. And yes, I'd agree that there are probably more important issues Gibbs needs to be worrying about, but hey, it's a casual Friday.

Q: One more question while you have the USA sweater on there. I draw your attention to a Web site that's posted a letter to "Barack the Red" -- not what you think it means.

MR. GIBBS: Do I need to get my Canadian jersey back?

Q: No. (Laughter.) They write, "These are trying times. Unemployment is in double digits....Audacity? Check out number eight, Alexander Ovechkin. Hope? This season has found the Capitals with better postseason prospects than any other year."

They plaintively write at the end here, "The Capitals bandwagon is filling up quickly, but we need a leader." (Laughter.) Will the President commit to going to a Washington Capitals game this season?

MR. GIBBS: I can't say....

Q: It would be his first hockey game ever, right?

MR. GIBBS: I can't say -- no, I think he's been to -- I'll check and see if he's been to a game in Chicago or not; less so in Hawaii. I will check on whether he's been to a game before. I don't know whether he'll do that before March 18th, but....

Q: He's got a couple extra days now. (Laughter.)

MR. GIBBS: Come on, guys. It's Friday, for God's sakes. (Laughter.) Look, I think he would very much enjoy going. Obviously the last time he ventured out to a sporting event, Georgetown looked like they did [Thursday], not like they did in the previous several weeks. So, look, I know he enjoys going out there. I know that -- I think we've gotten invitations from the owner to go. And I know he'd be -- he can borrow my jersey.

(Image via @markknoller)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 12, 2010; 5:33 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wale to play RFK for D.C. United
Next: Tom Penders vs. Maryland

Comments

uh, in hockey, jersey's are referred to as "Sweaters"

Posted by: Hattrik | March 12, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Well, Mr. Gibbs, your USA jersey doesn't really have anything to do with the Caps.

It's the wrong color, first of all, and there were no USA representatives from the Caps. I'm sure if Obama shows up, Uncle Teddy will give him a jersey.

P.S. I didn't make the connection between Barack and "the Red" before. Must mean I'm a commie.

Posted by: Joran | March 12, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

@hattrik

According to the NHL site, they're called "jerseys"

I have heard "sweater" before too. Is that a Canadian thing?

Posted by: Joran | March 12, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Rock the Red = Barack the Red.

Posted by: fbutler1 | March 12, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Joran--

"Sweater" isn't a Canadian thing. The modern hockey jersey is pretty loose-fitting, but they used to be very form-fitting. The shape of the uniform and the materials used were very much like those of a sweater, so people referred to them as sweaters.

As the game (and the uniforms) evolved, "sweaters" became less like actual sweaters and more like "jerseys." But because of the unique name for a hockey uniform, many people still refer to them as sweaters. Even I prefer the term "sweater" because it's unique and a little more dignified. (For example, would you rather go out in public wearing a Rochester Americans "jersey," or a Rochester Americans "sweater?")

Posted by: Kidspud | March 12, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather see the Caps go to the White House after winning the Stanley Cup....just saying.

Posted by: zosodave | March 12, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Rock the Red = Barack the Red. BTW, recommend one site for you------Seek40Plus .C O M------It is a friendly place to date sexy 4O plus and attractive girls or hot guys. Many beautiful photos at this site. I've met many pretty and thoughtful singles there. You may have a look.

Posted by: justmemez | March 12, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Hockey and politics don's mix. Worry about finding me a job not about the Caps. Just sayin.

Posted by: efdelaney | March 12, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Keep that loser away from the team, talk about bandwagon. He jinxed the US team by betting, non hockey watching mf'er.

Posted by: zcxnissan | March 13, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm betting Obama already took notice. Go Ovie! Rock the Red! Capture the Cup! Go Caps!!

Posted by: RedCherokee | March 13, 2010 3:44 AM | Report abuse

Come on, Dan-- you've got a great blog that I enjoy reading. Quit fawning over this President every chance you get. Don't you realize that there is an incredibly deep divide in this country? Sprinkling him into your blog just starts the day off on a bad note. I recognize you work for the WaPo, but keep their liberal slants out of the sports section.

Posted by: camvek | March 13, 2010 8:26 AM | Report abuse

The President is a Penguins fan--he made that pretty clear when they were at the White House. Don't really want him at a Caps game, thank you very much.

Posted by: melissa2809 | March 13, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Gee. I can't imagine why the prez would give a cool reception to a campaign called "Barack the Red." What simpleminded knucklehead coined that phrase? Were you REALLY trying to woo the president with that??? "Barack the Red" sounds like the kind of putdown uttered every 10 seconds by the likes toolbags like Rush, Hannity and Glenn Beck.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | March 13, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

If Obama shows his arrogant butt at A Caps game, not only will I boo him, I'll personally walk by Leonsis' box and give Obama the one finger salute. I promise.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 13, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

By the way, jumpy66, I wouldn't be calling anyone "toolbags" when it is clear that you didn't understand that Barack the Red is a play on words with respect to the Caps "Rock the Red" theme. I don't want Obama's butt at a Caps game, but I think the website concept is clever.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 13, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

If Obama goes the game and everyone in the stands is cheering for the Caps, he'll insist the scoreboard operator flash "Let's Go Pens!" Why? Because he knows better than we do who we should cheer for.

Posted by: InTheMiddle | March 13, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Hockey? I guess the guy should start attending arena football games and WNBA matches too. Come on. Obviously, like a lot of us, he doesn't have time to go to every 2nd 3rd tier sporting event that comes to town.

Posted by: mack1 | March 13, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Barack the Red
PUHLEEEZ!

Just stick to G. Mason basketball.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | March 13, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mack1 | March 13, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

actually Mack, lots of folks have time to go a "2nd or 3rd tier sporting event". Like 18k+ for 49 straight games and counting. From the tone of your posting I would suggest you continue to ignore hockey.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 13, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

The last time a president came to a Caps game was Clinton during the 98 Cup Finals run. So if Obama rocking the red at a Caps game means at least a trip to the Finals them I'm all for it.

Posted by: patmanbnl | March 13, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

If the President doesn't like hockey, let him be. I think he has better things to worry about than sport. This is the year, Lord Stanley!!! Greetings from Finland

Posted by: raimolaiti | March 14, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

@hattrik

According to the NHL site, they're called "jerseys"

I have heard "sweater" before too. Is that a Canadian thing?

Posted by: Joran | March 12, 2010 6:07 PM

This right here made me want to puke.

Posted by: MNMNT | March 14, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

we don't need to Barack the Red. We need to win the Cup

Posted by: doughless | March 15, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Please keep Hockey pure keep Politics out of our hallowed halls. FYI for all you people who don't remember but Biden, Kerry, and several others from capital hill have been to games. most of them got boo'ed I go to games to enjoy the environment, not have some D-bag make my evening a pain. you do know that if he comes to the game it will take forever to get into the game and everyone will be searched from head to toe.

Please Barrack STAY AWAY.

I careless about Politics so lets stop trying to have some guy who doesn't even like hockey come to the game

Posted by: HockeyFarmer | March 15, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Please Barrack STAY AWAY.

Posted by: HockeyFarmer | March 15, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

'Barack the Red' is pretty fitting. Red also goes with collectivism, national socialism, or communism, or whatever the F you wanna call it.

Posted by: 50Eagle | March 15, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse