Alex Ovechkin's ride to practice

I got to Caps practice a few moments later than planned. Still, I saw a great parking space surprisingly close to the entrance of KCI. Then I realized that it wasn't really a full space. Then I realized why.

Hey, if you've got it, you might as well flaunt it. I parked elsewhere.

(As previously seen on Jalopnik.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 1, 2010; 10:21 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gone Babysittin'
Next: Hugging Caps is a good luck charm

Comments

Looks like the freakin' Batmobile! Perfect example of how to screw up what was a really nice looking Benz.

Posted by: sportphoto | April 1, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

The matte paint jobs, i.e., black looking more like flat gray, is a big trend in the car enthusiast world right now.

Still, that is an impressive machine. Other than the ZR-1, GT-R, or high end Ferraris, Lambos, or Porsches, there aren't many cars that can keep up with that one.

Posted by: playahatah | April 1, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I hope there were plenty of spaces. Or else Ovie was being something of a butt hole taking up two.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 1, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

I love Ovechkin, but taking up multiple spaces is d-baggy. Maybe Wilbon was right....he's out of control.

Posted by: grimesman | April 1, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

I see he's one of those guys...

Posted by: CapsNut | April 1, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

The car cost a quarter-million dollars, so two-spots is almost reasonable. On the other hand, he can afford to have it detailed. If he doesn't keep getting suspended, at least.

Posted by: false_cause | April 1, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

in the words of Big Black: "murdered out!"
(though, not a pinto)

Posted by: 3tripleiii | April 1, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Ovie must have been in a hurry. He usually doesn't take up two spaces.

And yes, there is plenty of parking especially on a weekday.

Posted by: pstenigma | April 1, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Taking up two spaces is never reasonable. Not cool, especially since it was close to the entrance.

Posted by: Tank2 | April 1, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Can't you track where someone lives based on their license plates? Post might want to block his plates...

Posted by: cotmfk | April 1, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Good greif, there are some serious haters in the world....all these negative comments. The accesories, the spaces.....ease up dudes. Hating is unhealthy.

Posted by: brock2005 | April 1, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I think it would have been cool to park in that half spot and see what he says to you in the future. (I'm assuming your plate says WAPO DAN)

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 1, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he'll learn some new English: Dude, where's my car?

Posted by: richs91 | April 1, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

1. Ovechkin can do whatever he wants/needs to do. If that means taking up two spaces, then so be it. He can park sideways for all I care.

2. Someone tell him he can't take up two spaces and see what he says.

Posted by: laugh_riot | April 1, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about him parking in 2 spaces. How about he start scoring some goals? He has allowed Cindy and Stamkos to catch up to him.

Posted by: mja712 | April 1, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

This is an example of how bored the media can be....

If Ovie wants to ride a tricycle or helicopter to work, its his decision. Its his money, so who cares.

...hey grimesman, your telling me you've never parked your piece in two spots.

Ovie continue your style! your the man!

Posted by: Nats1924 | April 1, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Dan, get a life!

Posted by: JohnWWW | April 1, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Is it dirty or does it just look dirty? Man people with money will mess up anything.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 1, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

He pretty much built Kettler, let him park wherever he wants!! Its a parking spot people....relax

Posted by: scottiemac3 | April 1, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

If you look veeeery carefully, on the right rear quarter panel you'll barely see scratched into the paint from someone's key:

#87 S.Crosby rulez

Posted by: JimGoldbloomVA | April 1, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Please tell me this is an April Fools joke, because seriously, publishing the guy's license plate--Not cool.

Posted by: Kdarienzo | April 1, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes, how dare you publish his license plate. Because now people will totally be able to figure out that a $250,000+ car with a license plate reading "AO GR8" parked at a Caps practice belonged to him, unlike before.

And while there are ways to get an address from a license plate, they're not available to you and me. Calm down.

Posted by: jaycane40oz | April 1, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

What is it with Russians and borders? I'll bet he parked there to keep out someone with Georgia plates.

Posted by: Mathonwy | April 1, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Mathonwy | April 1, 2010 3:00 PM

Amazing

Posted by: GregNR | April 1, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

It looks like a boy racer Mitsubishi Eclipse with a sh*tty body kit. Sorry Ovie, you're still the man.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 1, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

come on WaPo, blur the plates out of privacy for Ovechkin now!!!! you guys should know better!

Posted by: destewar | April 1, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he was going to tailgate after practice? You see people hogging extra spots at Fed Ex all the time.

Posted by: sorry2say | April 1, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I would be honoured to be blocked from a parking spot by Alex Ovechkin.

And see, in Russia, traffic and parking laws aren't so much rules as timid and polite suggestions.

Posted by: j762 | April 1, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Not the first time I've seen the boy's plates on the 'net.

And Stealth Black rocks. The boy's got style.

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | April 1, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Ovie needs to change his style as a parker or he'll never be a star in this league.

Posted by: writered21 | April 1, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

That car is stank ugly. Sorry

Posted by: chillwill1 | April 1, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

So that's who got the personalized plate I wanted! I guess that's OK then.

Posted by: noslok | April 1, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I think we all love Ovie, but this BOG entry sucks.

Are you upset that he took up 2 spots? Were there 50 spots open surrounding this picture? Are you upset that you didn't have to take the bus to FED EX like you do to cover the SKINS? Pretty weak, Steinberg!

Posted by: dritter1 | April 1, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Great hockey player HUGE D-BAG

Posted by: jonthefisherman | April 1, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

LMAO at the people who are getting upset--he's barely over the line. I see people parking like this every day of my life. So he was in a rush in a parking lot that wasn't full. Give the guy a break.

Posted by: dfe1 | April 2, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

If I'm driving around a quarter million dollar AMG BLACK SERIES Mercedes I'd take up three spaces. It's not like he's in the handicap space. Plus it's Ovie. And that's a track tuned race car with headlights, made like that by Mercedes, and not some regular SL with rims and a flat black paintjob. Stop hating. Go CAPS!!

Posted by: C3PO | April 2, 2010 2:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't understand, what's the problem. There is more than enough space in the slot to the right.
I'd actually park there, leaving 1" distance between the cars, then leave the car from the passenger side :-)

Posted by: Michael01a | April 2, 2010 7:17 AM | Report abuse

maybe he just can't park. give him a break.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 2, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I wish I could go and park in that half space right now...lol!!! I've rolled the dice and parked in places I shouldn't in the past...especially if I was late...so I can't judge without all the facts. Gotta give the benefit of the doubt. But this is where somebody needs to fill in that half space. I'm thinking the clown with the Saturn that Matt Bradley pretended to own. Squeeze that little POS right in there! Steinblog! Why did you wuss out? You should have parked there!

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | April 2, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I don't buy this he's Ovie and he can do what he wants nonsense. That's the kind of thinking that gets athletes into trouble. Ask Gilbert Arenas.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 2, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

I wonder if he's come close to hitting someone walking to their car in the parking deck as he descends to the street? He's probably doing burnouts as he turns each corner.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | April 2, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Bad Ass!!! Looks like a hundred thousand dollar mad max vehicle.

Posted by: wjeremy26 | April 2, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Exactly what he does with the puck sometimes: gets right over the line and drops it!

Posted by: Steakum | April 2, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Ovi can block me in at my house for all I care.
The dude is a sick player and a huge star. Besides there's
tons of spaces at kettler it's not like he took two
spaces in the middle of Georgetown on M street.
Now if Brooks Orpik did this I would be hating big time..
Go caps!!!