Andray Blatche's triple double heartbreak
Andray Blatche's reaction upon not getting his triple-double Sunday night was possibly the most enjoyable Wizards moment of 2010. It also holds up very well upon replay. It was passion to the extreme, near-joy coupled with burning disappointment, a crazed effort to get just one more rebound, his entire being focused exclusively on that singular goal. Here were the highlights:
1) After a missed New Jersey shot, Blatche flings his body toward the ball, but is called for a foul. He looks skyward in disbelief, hopping his way all the way down the court while grinning/grimacing.
2) On the ensuing possession, a New Jersey airball goes directly to Cartier Martin. The new Wizard makes a horribly inexperienced mistake, and catches the basketball that is falling towards him. Blatche contorts his body in agony. If the last one was disbelief, this is sheer refusal to acknowledge that the universe could be so cruel.
3) Martin laughingly apologies. Phil Chenier, meanwhile, points out that maybe a team leader should be a tad less concerned about his personal stats.
4) New Jersey has a fast break. Blatche initially was jogging back, but then something occurs to him and he starts racing his rear off to get in the play just in case there's a rebound. But the Nets score.
5) Now there's 4.2 seconds left and it's Wizards ball, up 10. Blatche gets the ball and dribbles frantically the length of the court, and then shovels the ball at the rim, presumably hoping for a rebound which would have turned this into a different level of farce. But he loses out to the clock, and mercifully, the game has now ended. Blatche lifts up and throws down his shirt in disgust, still shaking his head. Martin comes out to joke with him again.
6) After a mostly gracious post-game interview, Comcast SportsNet's Chris Miller says that at least Martin owes him dinner.
"He owes me a lot tonight," Blatche says without smiling. "He owes me a lot."
Video via Truth About It.
April 5, 2010; 8:59 AM ET
Save & Share: Previous: McNabb, Jurgensen, Eagles and Redskins
Next: Willie Parker: "It's time for new and bigger things"
Posted by: natinals1 | April 5, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: snowg24bmw | April 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: nford2 | April 5, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse
Posted by: Barno1 | April 5, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: gman54 | April 5, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: nmik | April 5, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: ThisGuy | April 5, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: khrabb | April 5, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: thecoilspeaks | April 5, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: WheresRickySanders | April 5, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: wis193 | April 5, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: swishjobs | April 8, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.